Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,448 members, 7,823,059 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 10:48 PM

Is A Print Media License Required To Publish A Magazine? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Is A Print Media License Required To Publish A Magazine? (5536 Views)

Startin A Print Media / Print Media In Nigeria / Starting A Magazine - Is Print Media License Required ??? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is A Print Media License Required To Publish A Magazine? by alphabeta(f): 12:46pm On Nov 15, 2008
All,

I wish to start a special interest / trade magazine and  have been doing some feasibility studies on starting/publishing a magazine in Nigeria.

Up till now I am unable to find out any information about if any print media license (or if it goes by any other name) is required and if so which body is reponsible for this and what requirements/costs are involved. 

I have done a quick magazine related search here on Nairaland (and on google) but the results obtained didn't give any indication that the people involved had to acquire a license - however I want to go down the appropriate legal route, if one is required I would like to get it at least to assure against any related legal issues in the future.

Please anyone with a good idea on the media license requirements in Nigeria (if any) should please contribute helpful information.

I am aware that a license is definitely required for publishing a newspaper. I'm not looking at this but just for a magazine like say an IT, Electronics or Technology related magazine for instance.

Thank you all in anticipation of your helpful contributions.
Re: Is A Print Media License Required To Publish A Magazine? by alphabeta(f): 12:27pm On Nov 17, 2008
Any helpful info anyone?
Re: Is A Print Media License Required To Publish A Magazine? by ajayi1(m): 1:16pm On Nov 18, 2008
Well, I have forgot the name of the Library and the name of the code (but i will try ask again for you) All i know is that you will register your magazine in a Library that will give you a code here in Nigeria.
Re: Is A Print Media License Required To Publish A Magazine? by smartsoft(m): 2:50pm On Nov 19, 2008
ISBN type ISBN Nigeria on google you get the info concerning nigeria publishing of magazine, when my dad had to publish one of is book he only paid N5,000 then don't know how much now, and that was all you company must be registered and you will have a copy of magazine on jpg or PDF for them to see it before giving you the ISBN thing
Re: Is A Print Media License Required To Publish A Magazine? by Nobody: 6:19pm On Nov 19, 2008
H
Re: Is A Print Media License Required To Publish A Magazine? by sprandie: 5:29pm On Nov 26, 2008
i actually work as a co-editor for a magazine in portharcourt called Ziko Magazine. it's an entertainment magazine, so if I'm not totally out of the picture here, what we did was just to register her company name under the CAC (corporate affairs commission) which gives it full rights to operate legally but not a way of censoring its contents. we used over 35grand and had to involve the law, i mean we got a lawyer, etc. i don't think it is defferent in any case from what you are venturing. have a great content, watch your market or drive your target seriously towards it, have a fine print from any licensed printers around, like the ones that print for betty irabor, then launch your product. i hope this helps. tons of success.
Re: Is A Print Media License Required To Publish A Magazine? by informed(m): 9:19pm On Nov 29, 2008
i never know you needed alicense to operate one before now. I have friends who are publishing though on a small scale but neva had licenses.
Re: Is A Print Media License Required To Publish A Magazine? by 8oracle(m): 5:20pm On Dec 03, 2008
The internet is a whole wide west, that got no boundary, or whatever. to avoid the hurdles of licenses in nigeria, please use the money for which you might be chasing for one license to the other and develop a good proffessional looking website of your interest magazine to be, and go online publishing. You would be readers will be from all over the world. UNLESS you are limiting yourself.
Re: Is A Print Media License Required To Publish A Magazine? by vKaycee: 6:28pm On Dec 05, 2008
Hello Bro.how do you do. you talked about the free browsing software, please could you kindly send the softwares and configuration as attachment to my e mail address. (valenkaycee@yahoo.com) . thanks a lot. have a nice time
Re: Is A Print Media License Required To Publish A Magazine? by vKaycee: 6:29pm On Dec 05, 2008
Hello Bro.how do you do. you talked about the free browsing software, please could you kindly send the softwares and configuration as attachment to my e mail address. (valenkaycee@yahoo.com) . thanks a lot. have a nice time
Re: Is A Print Media License Required To Publish A Magazine? by vKaycee: 10:43pm On Dec 05, 2008
The internet is a whole wide west, that hasn't a boundary,to avoid the hurdles of licenses in nigeria, please use the money and develop a professional website.
If u play this part very well,your readers would be from across d world.later on the nigerian magazine plan would only be just a part of your venture. good luck
Re: Is A Print Media License Required To Publish A Magazine? by ikonomist: 5:35pm On Mar 14, 2009
i myself want to statrt a newspaer in the country. Do u know how? obiu61@yahoo.com
Re: Is A Print Media License Required To Publish A Magazine? by brianromel(m): 12:11am On Mar 15, 2009
Its not,but to be on the safe side,find out more about the isbn cos thats a general must,but one will be breathing fully down your neck about it.
Hope your mag is gonna be juicy,cos you will have very stiff competition here in LAGOS,
if your considering some other state other than lag,i did advise you go after a mag and an ad letter.
Ad letters are usually distributed free to people,one makes his money from the ads in the letter.one advise,pick areas you know people will like to know about.
Wit the ad letter launched,you can use it to know what people think about your product before you launch the mag,as a follow up.
You can hire marketers to handle the process of getting ads for both the ad letter and selling the mag.
http://vicnigeria.

(1) (Reply)

NSE Clarifies Concerns On MTN Nigeria's Premium Board Listing / Where Can I Get WAEC And NECO Scratch Card At A Cheaper Rate? / closed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.