Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,575 members, 7,816,418 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:56 AM

WITCHES: Saving Africa's Witch Children - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / WITCHES: Saving Africa's Witch Children (1884 Views)

«|Thread For Witches Of East End Season 2|» / Dispatches: Return To Africa (Nigeria)- Witch Children / Is Anyone Watching Channel 4: Saving African Witch Children (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

WITCHES: Saving Africa's Witch Children by ayomorocco(f): 10:59pm On Nov 12, 2008
I have just watched a programme on the UK's Channel 4 called "Saving Africa's Witch Children". What it reveals is shocking. Children openly abused in an appalling manner. There were many children burnt with fire, tortured and there was even one girl who had a three inch nail hammered into her head. People are seen abandoning their children under the guise that they are witches. Any death, ill luck, lack of wealth etc is attributed to witches. It almost broke my heart to see a little girl of 5 years say that she thought she was a witch because that is what she had been called for so long. There was even a man who brandished his machete and who threatened to hack a little girl (of about 5-7 years) to death. The rise in the number of children who are accused of being witches has been alleged to the film "End of the Wicked" which was a film by Helen Ukpabio (the pastor of Liberty Gospel Ministries) - though there is no concrete proof of this apart from many accusers refering to it. In one of the shipping villages, the poor catch of fish was blamed on witchcraft. There was even an ignorant evangelist/pastor who boasted of killing about one hundred and ten witches.

Almost just as shocking is seeing parents cough up amounts of money they cannot even afford to dubious pastors/witch doctors etc.

When will Nigeria learn to move with the times? There is a Child Rights Act that does not work in protecting the children in any shape or form. I am sure if people in the USA and the UK had the same backward mentality, all those people who have lost their jobs and homes under the current financial crisis would have tortured, abandoned or killed their children.

WHICH WAY NIGERIA?
Re: WITCHES: Saving Africa's Witch Children by mohawkchic(f): 5:40am On Nov 18, 2008
~I had goose bumps watching it,to say it was a shocking revelation is an understatement!! I cried watching the scars on those poor kids,suffered at the hands of their own parents,family,neighbours!!

~The Inhumane acts by these people . .puting a nail thro the head of a child!! - pouring kerosine & attempting to burn the child - that lil boy w/ the bone of his upper arm sticking out - to be refused care/treatment b/c of the stigma of been labelled a witch . . . .aaah tell you the truth,am still gobsmacked over that programme!!I thought i'd seen it all when the limbs of babies,children were chopped off during the war in my Country,to see those kids suffer such an indignation  . . its just wrong!!

~ I was more infuriated when i saw the thread on Culture section[b] "Please Help! My Child Is a Witch". [/b] .a twisted mind ridicling the mentality behind the gullible  parents who fall prey to these money making evil lion-in-sheep-clothing-fake-pastors but failing miserably to address the issues surrounding theses poor kids!!

~Abandoned, Alone, Hungry,Scared,Stigmatized,Lost souls . . . . my eyes were puffy the next day from crying ,  . .iT aint fair!! Those kids SoOoo deserve Better!!

~I'll never forget The haunted look in some of those kids' eyes,especially the little girl they found roaming the streets!!

~Locking those kids in that room up for 3 years,keeping them awake all thro the night,what kind of confession do they hope to acheive by doing that!! I just kept asking "Why!!"  . . . i watched that programme thro the eyes of a mother,my religious beliefs were held at bay,but it really begs the question,is it right to misuse the name of the lord,just to lay blame on "Something" other than misfortune . . .all in the name of denounicing witches & ruining the future of those children!!

~Am so worked up about it,am prolly just rambling!!
Re: WITCHES: Saving Africa's Witch Children by bebure(m): 9:20pm On Nov 20, 2008
Nigeria is not going to move forward untill we are able to educate the masses. Everyone needs to be educated up to the secondary level and needs to be taught to think critically for themselves rather than listening to some scam artist posing as a preacher. I understand that people are bitter and as a result cling to relious beliefs to find comfort in their pain and suffering.

We need a grassroots movement in Nigeria. A movement with the sole purpose of providing education for the less fortunate amongst us. A movement would be run by dedicated volunteers. If we can do this, we will have a more educated population in a few decades who will stop blaming evey problem in the country on witchcraft and silly things like that. Eventually, we would have a significant population who understand that the reason for the sickness and poverty in the country is to do with bad government first and foremost, and then other factors such as laziness, lack of basic social ammenities and this inherent belief amongst Nigerians of lesser means that by just sitting down and praying for something it happens.

If the people are more aware of the role of government in their life, the government would be held more accountable. I dont care how many army men the government have, if the masses revolt and understand the reason for the revolt (which will enable people stay the cause) we will see serious change in Nigeria one day.

I also think that many of these churches that preach these messages of violence, intolerance and hatred need to be abolished. How can you claim to be a christian and yet support the killing of another human being for no reason other than a few people's paranoia. Its a shame

Now I'm not stupid! I know that Nigeria is soo spoiled that no one would even want to volunteer for this sort of programe for fear that it is a scam. Well, one can always hope.
Re: WITCHES: Saving Africa's Witch Children by Horus(m): 8:34pm On Nov 28, 2008
Video detailing the new 419 scams of many churches in Nigeria who label innocent children as witches in order to extort money from the parents by claiming to cure the children of witchcraft.
Many of the children end up dead , killed by fearful parents.

Video: http://livinginblack.ning.com/video/child-victims-of-419-preachers
Re: WITCHES: Saving Africa's Witch Children by Horus(m): 5:15pm On Apr 04, 2009
[flash=450,350]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xY30JTYLejw[/flash]

Child witch victims of Nigeria Africa

(1) (Reply)

I Want Anime! / Movie Audition In Owerri / Things We Would Like To Be Seeing In Nigerian Movies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.