Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,283 members, 7,826,115 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 10:03 AM

My 2002 RAV4 Issues - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / My 2002 RAV4 Issues (2800 Views)

Please Help Me With The Basic Information About 2015 Toyota Rav4 / Toyota Rav4 2001-2003 Ecm/ecu And Transmission Failure With Solutions / Toyota Rav4 2001 - 2003 Auto Transmission /ECU Problem (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My 2002 RAV4 Issues by Unionised(m): 2:31pm On Oct 15, 2014
Hello All,
I want your opinions and advice on how to go about the following issues on my RAV4 Toyota 2002 Model

1. Diagnostic tools cannot read Transmission data. This means whenever i scan for issues, the machines cannot read my tranmission. Could this be a gear problem or a brain box issue?

2. My full and head lights keep burning out within a month. What could be the cause? I have spent good money buying new bulbs to no avail.

3. My Dashboard lights keep going off. The hazard, gear, ac, radio indicators all keep going off and on. I do tap on the dashboard to bring them on. As if there is a disconnect somewhere.

4. My car uses more fuel when I'm on the express than when I'm within town. for example, when i drive 2 hours to Ibadan, the car guzzles more fuel than when I spend the same 2 hours in traffic within Lagos. Is that normal?

5. I hear some serious humming noise whenever I'm speeding on the expressway. My mechanic says its the HUB that needs change, but I also suspect my exhaust. What do you think?

6. I changed my four tyres last month, and since then its as if my shock absorbers are no longer working. Every time I hit a gallop, the effect is amplified. Could it be the tyre pressure or something is missing?

7. This morning, I noticed some oil stain/drops under my engine where I parked my car at the office. What can that mean.

8. I last serviced my car 60 days ago. Do I need to change oil filter when servicing next? How frequently should i service the engine?

9. I just changed my Brake pads. My mechanic says the BRASS type is best for my car. What do you think?

Thanks in advance for your helpful tips.
Re: My 2002 RAV4 Issues by mayor2013: 3:04pm On Oct 15, 2014
From your long list and questions. Am sure some road side electrician has done some wonders on your car before you came up here with your car story. grin

I still don't get what you mean by diagnostic tool not reading transmission information. Is it dat d tool is not conecting I, e you getting a communication error. Note : not all scanners out there are capable of reading transmission fault code.

If your headlight keeps burning out within a month, am looking at a situation where your are using substandard bulbs or you are having an incorrect charging system (over charging). Ask your electrician to check your charging system. Could be more than the expected

For your dashboard light going off. Before this happens do you notice cases where by the dashboard lights suddenly go dim mostly @ night?

As for the sound you hear while on motion. Tell your mechanic to check your hub

Check your suspension.

Oil stain drop tell mechanic to trace that
Re: My 2002 RAV4 Issues by Nobody: 3:43pm On Oct 15, 2014
These issues are some reason why one could just become depressed. I Feel your pain bro

1 your headlamp burning off constantly, have you gone thru your owner's manual to see the specified/recommended bulb type? Do that and make a change to the genuine type. Also, it could be that your electrical fixtures for your headlamp is breached, short circuited, loose earth wire or bypassed and a relay installed. Check and revert to factory settings.

2. Your tyre pressure. What is the Pressure in Each tyre? Once you've noted the Pressure level on each tyre, go to the driver's side B pillar and look at the area under the lock/hook mechanism to determine the Cold Tyre Pressure rating indicated (my own cars recommends 30Psi for all tyres) next, check the tyre specs on that label near the lock/hook mechanism in the B pillar, you'll see the Tyre type specified for your car. Take note of the tyre spec and compare with the new tyres you purchase for consistency or inconsistency. Let's start from the small bit before progressing to the greater deals.

3. As for your Dashboard lights keep going off. The hazard, gear, ac, radio indicators all keep
going off and on till you tap on the dashboard, It seem as if wires have been severed, rusted, breaching, short-circuited, or earth wire is loose or loose terminal point. Check and trace your harness to discover the culprit.

4. I don't know of brass type or any type brake pads, replace your brakepads with genuine OEM brand meant for Toyota Rav4 2002 model.

5. The issue of hubs, check the hubs for grease, worn out ball bearings and joints, etc and replace if worn out.

6. As for the engine oil, and filter, I replace my filters anytime I change my oil. I don't go about using old filters with new oil.
Re: My 2002 RAV4 Issues by Unionised(m): 9:01am On Oct 16, 2014
mayor2013:
From your long list and questions. Am sure some road side electrician has done some wonders on your car before you came up here with your car story. grin

I still don't get what you mean by diagnostic tool not reading transmission information. Is it dat d tool is not conecting I, e you getting a communication error. Note : not all scanners out there are capable of reading transmission fault code.

[/color]They have tried many scanners, they can't read my transmission information sir. It's like there is a disconnection to the brain box, or something.

If your headlight keeps burning out within a month, am looking at a situation where your are using substandard bulbs or you are having an incorrect charging system (over charging). Ask your electrician to check your charging system. Could be more than the expected

[color=#990000]
Will talk to my mechanic again. We have used both Brand new and Tokunbo. I don't cut corners when it comes to my gadgets/electronics.

For your dashboard light going off. Before this happens do you notice cases where by the dashboard lights suddenly go dim mostly @ night?

[/color]Nope. No warning signs, just burns. Although at times, the dim burns out before the full light follows suite a few days later.

As for the sound you hear while on motion. Tell your mechanic to check your hub

[color=#990000]
Yes, he said so. But I also suspect my exhaust. Because I hear like sound too when warming the car in the morning.

Check your suspension.

[/color]Ok. Will talk to my mech.

Oil stain drop tell mechanic to trace that

[color=#990000]MEch says we would need to drop the engine to fix this. Says its some kind of seal or cover that needs changing. what do you think?
Re: My 2002 RAV4 Issues by Unionised(m): 9:09am On Oct 16, 2014
lomomike:
These issues are some reason why one could just become depressed. I Feel your pain bro

1 your headlamp burning off constantly, have you gone thru your owner's manual to see the specified/recommended bulb type? Do that and make a change to the genuine type. Also, it could be that your electrical fixtures for your headlamp is breached, short circuited, loose earth wire or bypassed and a relay installed. Check and revert to factory settings.

[/color]Ok Sir. I think I will download a comprehensive manual and study it.[color=#990000]

2. Your tyre pressure. What is the Pressure in Each tyre? Once you've noted the Pressure level on each tyre, go to the driver's side B pillar and look at the area under the lock/hook mechanism to determine the Cold Tyre Pressure rating indicated (my own cars recommends 30Psi for all tyres) next, check the tyre specs on that label near the lock/hook mechanism in the B pillar, you'll see the Tyre type specified for your car. Take note of the tyre spec and compare with the new tyres you purchase for consistency or inconsistency. Let's start from the small bit before progressing to the greater deals.

[/color] Doing that right now. Will get back to you.[color=#990000]

3. As for your Dashboard lights keep going off. The hazard, gear, ac, radio indicators all keep
going off and on till you tap on the dashboard, It seem as if wires have been severed, rusted, breaching, short-circuited, or earth wire is loose or loose terminal point. Check and trace your harness to discover the culprit.

[/color]By harness, do you mean the board/circuitry? Will talk to my mech.[color=#990000]

4. I don't know of brass type or any type brake pads, replace your brakepads with genuine OEM brand meant for Toyota Rav4 2002 model.

[/color]Where do I get that? I live in Lagos.[color=#990000]

5. The issue of hubs, check the hubs for grease, worn out ball bearings and joints, etc and replace if worn out.

[/color]Does this mean I don't have to change the whole Hub?[color=#990000]

6. As for the engine oil, and filter, I replace my filters anytime I change my oil. I don't go about using old filters with new oil.
[/color]But how frequently do you change oil?[color=#990000]
Re: My 2002 RAV4 Issues by eveneky: 3:16pm On Oct 16, 2014
Unionised:
Hello All,
I want your opinions and advice on how to go about the following issues on my RAV4 Toyota 2002 Model

1. Diagnostic tools cannot read Transmission data. This means whenever i scan for issues, the machines cannot read my tranmission. Could this be a gear problem or a brain box issue?

2. My full and head lights keep burning out within a month. What could be the cause? I have spent good money buying new bulbs to no avail.

3. My Dashboard lights keep going off. The hazard, gear, ac, radio indicators all keep going off and on. I do tap on the dashboard to bring them on. As if there is a disconnect somewhere.

4. My car uses more fuel when I'm on the express than when I'm within town. for example, when i drive 2 hours to Ibadan, the car guzzles more fuel than when I spend the same 2 hours in traffic within Lagos. Is that normal?

5. I hear some serious humming noise whenever I'm speeding on the expressway. My mechanic says its the HUB that needs change, but I also suspect my exhaust. What do you think?

6. I changed my four tyres last month, and since then its as if my shock absorbers are no longer working. Every time I hit a gallop, the effect is amplified. Could it be the tyre pressure or something is missing?

7. This morning, I noticed some oil stain/drops under my engine where I parked my car at the office. What can that mean.

8. I last serviced my car 60 days ago. Do I need to change oil filter when servicing next? How frequently should i service the engine?

9. I just changed my Brake pads. My mechanic says the BRASS type is best for my car. What do you think?

my brother, i have been thinking of getting this Rav4 2002 model but from your question here, it seems the vehicle has alot of issues. pls for how long have you been using it, also will u advice one wanting to buy this your type of motor to go ahead in getting it/
Re: My 2002 RAV4 Issues by GAZZUZZ(m): 3:59pm On Oct 16, 2014
Unionised:
Hello All,

what works for me

1.from experience only high end diagnostic tools will read out data from your vehicle, find someone who uses launch or equipment
specifically designed to diagnose Toyota to solve this problem.

2.Buy tokumbor its 400 a piece lasts for years.

3.you have a partial contact, get a smart sparky grin to find it.

4. If you solve problem 1, you will understand problem 4.

5.Rule out the Exhaust by going under the car and looking for dark patches along the exhaust this will indicate a leak, or go under have
someone start engine and listen for leaks.

OR you bought tires meant for OFF road they are very noisy.

6. you have excessive air pressure in your tyres

7.For this one roll up your sleeves go under the car if you don't know the name take a picture we will tell you what is leaking and what to do
about it.
8.what does your car manual say?

9. so much rubbish in the market, i really cant tell you what to buy, but enter any Toyota dealership, their pads are expensive but will last way longer than the after market type, while saving your rotors from damage.

good luck.
Re: My 2002 RAV4 Issues by Unionised(m): 4:55pm On Oct 16, 2014
GAZZUZZ:

what works for me

1.from experience only high end diagnostic tools will read out data from your vehicle, find someone who uses launch or equipment
specifically designed to diagnose Toyota to solve this problem.

2.Buy tokumbor its 400 a piece lasts for years.

3.you have a partial contact, get a smart sparky grin to find it.

4. If you solve problem 1, you will understand problem 4.

5.Rule out the Exhaust by going under the car and looking for dark patches along the exhaust this will indicate a leak, or go under have
someone start engine and listen for leaks.

OR you bought tires meant for OFF road they are very noisy.

6. you have excessive air pressure in your tyres

7.For this one roll up your sleeves go under the car if you don't know the name take a picture we will tell you what is leaking and what to do
about it.
8.what does your car manual say?

9. so much rubbish in the market, i really cant tell you what to buy, but enter any Toyota dealership, their pads are expensive but will last way longer than the after market type, while saving your rotors from damage.

good luck.

thanks so much.

Are you in Lagos?

Can we meet?
Re: My 2002 RAV4 Issues by Unionised(m): 4:58pm On Oct 16, 2014
eveneky:

my brother, i have been thinking of getting this Rav4 2002 model but from your question here, it seems the vehicle has alot of issues. pls for how long have you been using it, also will u advice one wanting to buy this your type of motor to go ahead in getting it/

Bros, the car drives like a dream.

No stress at all.

I bought it 18 months ago and this is the very first time i want to do anything major on it.

Its basically been Kick and drive all along.

Buy it!!!
Re: My 2002 RAV4 Issues by awilly: 9:00am On Jan 18, 2017
Dear all, please, my Toyota Rav4 2002 model engine wire was stolen, can anyone tell me where I can get one please? I mean the complete wire that comes from the Brain box to nozzles, injector etc
Re: My 2002 RAV4 Issues by mayor2013: 6:55am On Jan 19, 2017
awilly:
Dear all, please, my Toyota Rav4 2002 model engine wire was stolen, can anyone tell me where I can get one please? I mean the complete wire that comes from the Brain box to nozzles, injector etc

Nawa o, is this the new trend now. No more Ecu?

(1) (Reply)

Top 10 Cars That Last Over 300k Miles (nearing 500km) / Toyota Camry 2015 - Is It A Nice Car To Buy? / On Engine Oil And Coolant For Honda Accord

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.