Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,801 members, 7,810,087 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:27 PM

Phone In Flight: The Dawn Of A New Age - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Phone In Flight: The Dawn Of A New Age (2130 Views)

When A Pilot Died In Flight His Friend Saved 152 Lives / Ryanair’s Newest Money-making Stunt: In-flight P.O.R.N / Incredible! Aerocontractors Now Charge For In-flight Snacks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Phone In Flight: The Dawn Of A New Age by HARDDON: 10:22am On Oct 16, 2014
Qelcome to d future!:

Planes have traditionally been a connectivity-free zone, but new rules from the European Aviation Safety Agency allow mobile devices to be left switched on during flights.

Before the rules were relaxed in September mobile devices on all flights had to be turned off or switched to flight mode before take-off.

The change clears the way for airlines to allow passengers to use their mobile phone plan to make calls and use data via satellite, but it appears carriers have been slow to implement it.

Of the airlines included in the study, six are allowing travellers to use their phones (Aer Lingus, Emirates, Etihad, Qatar Airways, Singapore Airlines and Virgin Atlantic), and one (Lufthansa) is allowing text messages only.

Travellers should be careful before they start calling their friends on the ground or using their data, however, because they risk being hit with a massive bill. Prices depend on their provider’s international rates.

They not only allow phones, they also provide WiFi services !

It’s one of the fastest growing demands from travellers but many airlines are still not offering on-board wifi for their passengers, according to a study that identifies some of the cheapest rates.

Of those who are allowing fliers to stay connected, many are charging a hefty fee for each hour of use or for the duration of the entire trip.

Analysis by Cheapflights.co.uk revealed that Middle Eastern carriers Emirates and Etihad are charging the lowest tariffs at around £1.70 and £3.10 per hour, respectively.

Of the 20 carriers included in the study, Turkish Airlines is the only one that does not charge a fee for wifi, while nine do not offer it at all.

Monarch Airlines charges £3.99 per person per flight.
On the pricier end of the scale, Aer Lingus, Air France and KLM charge approximately £8.65 for a single hour of in-flight wifi.

A recent survey of 1,073 adults in the UK found that 70 per cent of passengers want to remain connected to simply pass the time, stay in touch with family and friends or complete business work

SOurce:
dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-2792614/cheapest-board-wifi-rates-flights.html
Re: Phone In Flight: The Dawn Of A New Age by okonja(m): 10:25am On Oct 16, 2014
I still couldn't connect the topic with the write up...Somebody tell me something pls

1 Like

Re: Phone In Flight: The Dawn Of A New Age by HARDDON: 10:48am On Oct 16, 2014
okonja:
I still couldn't connect the topic with the write up...Somebody tell me something pls

Simply means u can now rock your phone while on board an airplane unlike b4 u r forced to switch it off or activate flight mode. Some airlines now even offer WiFi in flight both paid n free depending on d airline

U dig?
Re: Phone In Flight: The Dawn Of A New Age by blakky97(m): 11:12am On Oct 16, 2014
HARDDON:

Simply means u can now rock your phone while on board an airplane unlike b4 u r forced to switch it off or activate flight mode. Some airlines now even offer WiFi in flight both paid n free depending on d airline

U dig?

Not to my knowledge. Interference between the radio waves and the signals from the radar with equal frequency distorts communication.
Re: Phone In Flight: The Dawn Of A New Age by worry359(m): 12:10pm On Oct 16, 2014
Imagine sitting next to someone on a long haul flight going Blaa, Blaa, Blaa for hours on there phone!
You would be ready to jump out the window!
Then person giving comentry on phone
We are moving,
Rolling down runway
Going faster,
We are up,
Wheels going up now!
On and On and on.

1 Like

Re: Phone In Flight: The Dawn Of A New Age by ycoxyng: 12:27pm On Oct 16, 2014
it works perfectly on Emirate. I used it on their A 380 Flight from Dubai to LA. I bought 5 MB for like $10 or so . I used it to check mails and my BBM works perfectly.
Re: Phone In Flight: The Dawn Of A New Age by HARDDON: 2:02pm On Oct 16, 2014
blakky97:

Not to my knowledge. Interference between the radio waves and the signals from the radar with equal frequency distorts communication.

This and many more were our fears b4 this recent development .

Now flight mode wud be so gone from phones

This is one major milestone for Biz wiz
Re: Phone In Flight: The Dawn Of A New Age by Nobody: 2:06pm On Oct 16, 2014
Cool. No more boredom.

But, I hope the interference won't cause any air mishap ooo.
Re: Phone In Flight: The Dawn Of A New Age by Nobody: 2:07pm On Oct 16, 2014
ycoxyng:
it works perfectly on Emirate. I used it on their A 380 Flight from Dubai to LA. I bought 5 MB for like $10 or so . I used it to check mails and my BBM works perfectly.

5MB for $10? That's expensive. That won't take me up to 15minutes to exhaust.
Re: Phone In Flight: The Dawn Of A New Age by HARDDON: 2:18pm On Oct 16, 2014
Phema:
Cool. No more boredom.

Did open a thread about the research into this not long ago and its future possibilities . here we are!

https://www.nairaland.com/1937133/electronic-gadgets-flight-truth-n

No more boredom, Biz on da go and always in touch no matter how many feets u r above sea level .
And most importantly, if in a situation where some1 is to pick u p from d airport, u can tell them just how many minutes until arrival instead of them waiting all day
Re: Phone In Flight: The Dawn Of A New Age by HARDDON: 2:19pm On Oct 16, 2014
"
Re: Phone In Flight: The Dawn Of A New Age by HARDDON: 3:16pm On Oct 16, 2014
worry359:
Imagine sitting next to someone on a long haul flight going Blaa, Blaa, Blaa for hours on there phone!
You would be ready to jump out the window!
Then person giving comentry on phone
We are moving,
Rolling down runway
Going faster,
We are up,
Wheels going up now!
On and On and on.

grin grin

We have such people even in offices right now.
But sure thing is the cons outweighs d pros
Re: Phone In Flight: The Dawn Of A New Age by ycoxyng: 4:59pm On Oct 16, 2014
Phema:

5MB for $10? That's expensive. That won't take me up to 15minutes to exhaust.

you are very right. damn expensive. but it kept me busy for a long journey to Los Angeles. basically I was just pinging with the data.
Re: Phone In Flight: The Dawn Of A New Age by exxy(m): 12:26am On Oct 17, 2014
ycoxyng:

omoh, 5MB For $10, haba watin self , that's too much. MTN gives me free 10 mb if i recharge just 100 naira, which is less than $1
Re: Phone In Flight: The Dawn Of A New Age by HARDDON: 9:30am On Oct 17, 2014
exxy:

omoh, 5MB For $10, haba watin self , that's too much. MTN gives me free 10 mb if i recharge just 100 naira, which is less than $1

grin cheesy
New innovations always carry crazy prize tags!
Re: Phone In Flight: The Dawn Of A New Age by HARDDON: 3:39pm On Oct 17, 2014
Phema:
Cool. No more boredom.

Wonder how long it would take for local carriers within Nigeria to implement this
Re: Phone In Flight: The Dawn Of A New Age by Nobody: 4:36am On Oct 18, 2014
HARDDON:

Wonder how long it would take for local carriers within Nigeria to implement this

As long as it took Nigeria to gain independence. grin
Re: Phone In Flight: The Dawn Of A New Age by HARDDON: 11:53am On Oct 18, 2014
Phema:

As long as it took Nigeria to gain independence. grin

cheesy cheesy

Oh dear God!

It couldn't be that long
Re: Phone In Flight: The Dawn Of A New Age by HARDDON: 8:46am On Oct 27, 2014
the official reason unknown to us aforetimes, for the procedure(switching off) is to make sure passengers on board listen to the safety instructions provided by the flight crew, to prevent loose objects around in case of an emergency and to avoid any chances of the devices obstructing the airline’s communication
Re: Phone In Flight: The Dawn Of A New Age by Exjoker(m): 7:05pm On Oct 27, 2014
All is well
Re: Phone In Flight: The Dawn Of A New Age by HARDDON: 10:00pm On Nov 04, 2014
Exjoker:
All is well

Re: Phone In Flight: The Dawn Of A New Age by HARDDON: 4:01pm On Nov 29, 2014
@ Seun, Ishilove, mukina2 obinoscopy, Mynd44: in my opinion, this kinda thread should be on FP
Re: Phone In Flight: The Dawn Of A New Age by worry359(m): 5:08pm On Nov 29, 2014
HARDDON:
@ Seun, Ishilove, mukina2 obinoscopy, Mynd44: in my opinion, this kinda thread should be on FP
A thread that NO ONE has replied to for over a month
is no interest for front page. angry

2 Likes

Re: Phone In Flight: The Dawn Of A New Age by HARDDON: 5:27pm On Nov 29, 2014
worry359:

A thread that NO ONE has replied to for over a month
is no interest for front page. angry

Like huh?

As informative as it is?
As ground breaking as it is?

As life changing as it is?

Wow!

So all d junks on FP r up there cos of two reasons?

(1) (Reply)

How To Get An Irish Visa / Pls Help Me I Was Denied Finland Visa Twice . / Plants Found In The Deep Ocean

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.