Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,415 members, 7,836,662 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 11:15 AM

Holiday Dinners (thanskgiving, Xmas, New Years) Are Around The Corner - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Holiday Dinners (thanskgiving, Xmas, New Years) Are Around The Corner (1118 Views)

Pastry World: Learner's Corner / Cakes!! Cakes!! Cakes!!......vale-ection Is Around The Corner / Cheap Live Turkey For Sale For Your Xmas & New Year Celebrations (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Holiday Dinners (thanskgiving, Xmas, New Years) Are Around The Corner by AmakaOne(f): 11:01am On Nov 13, 2008
Hosting a memorable Holiday dinner (The holiday, Xmas, Birthdays, Independence Day) doesn’t need to break the bank. Keep economy in mind while still wowing your guests with creative ideas that won’t cripple your holiday budget.

Shop Early

Start shopping a couple weeks before the holiday, picking up canned goods and non-perishables as they go on sale.

Use Coupons

Even if you’re not a regular coupon clipper, use manufacturers’ and grocers’ coupons to save a bundle on your feast.

Later Dinner Time

Feeding a big bunch? Set dinner time later in the afternoon so no additional evening supper will be expected.

No Tablecloth? No Problem.

Don’t buy an expensive new tablecloth just for the day. Freshly laundered coloured sheets or cotton blankets are creative alternative table coverings that add personality and colour. Or, purchase a length of inexpensive white fabric and let your kids design a one-of-a-kind table covering with fabric markers. Guests can sign it, too, for smiles when you reuse it year after year.

No-Cost Table Details

Add touches to the table that don’t cost a dime but that add a definitive wow factor. Ideas: Slice sticks of butter into restaurant-style butter pats (chill on squares of waxed paper until dinner time), tie rolled napkins with coloured ribbons for place-setting punch, add lemon slices to water glasses, or place a colourful leaf under the glass at each place setting.

Enlist Your Drama Queen

Every family has one: a theatrical, musical, dramatic or performer type. Assign that person (or persons) to the task of putting together a short pre-dinner program to bring the holiday to life. Ideas: a skit of the first holiday dinner or sing-along of a favourite holiday hymn.

Embellish the Food

Even a dish of plain green beans becomes a gourmet delight when sprinkled with a few slivered almonds. Add honey and a sprinkling of nutmeg to cooked baby carrots, toasted pecans to candied yams, or dried cranberries to spinach salad.

Candlelight is Always Right

Use large candles for an immediate impression, or small votives at each place setting for more intimate appeal. Keep open flames away from fabrics, napkins, and small children, or consider using battery-powered candles instead.

Nature’s Bowls, Vases and Votive Holders

Cut a hole into small pumpkins, squashes, apples, oranges or pears to hold votive candles. Scatter fresh cranberries or acorns from the back yard along the centre of your table. For a pretty soup tureen, scoop out a large pumpkin, or for two salad bowls, cut a pumpkin/ Watermelon in half and line with plastic wrap or aluminium foil so salads don’t pick up scent. For a natural vase, scoop out a pumpkin/ watermelon and insert a glass to hold fresh  back-yard foliage. Be sure to slice a section off of the bottom of pumpkins or fruit to stabilize it.
Re: Holiday Dinners (thanskgiving, Xmas, New Years) Are Around The Corner by omoge(f): 3:03pm On Nov 13, 2008
em those pple using coupon, please move to the next aisle Omoge is coming.

coupon users slow the line men. whenever i see those oyinbo dipping their hands in their purse bringing out those coupons, i look for another aisle grin

i'm visiting a mil couple for thanksgiving. . . looking for a good wine to take along. i hope to learn a thing or two. if the sch let bobo off, he will meet me there.

christmas is still far, no plans.
Re: Holiday Dinners (thanskgiving, Xmas, New Years) Are Around The Corner by AmakaOne(f): 4:41pm On Nov 13, 2008
omoge:

em those people using coupon, please move to the next aisle Omoge is coming.

coupon users slow the line men. whenever i see those oyinbo dipping their hands in their purse bringing out those coupons, i look for another aisle grin

i'm visiting a mil couple for thanksgiving. . . looking for a good wine to take along. i hope to learn a thing or two. if the sch let bobo off, he will meet me there.

christmas is still far, no plans.

lol@ omoge.

U know that surviving on student allowance is hard going mehn.

I say cut those coupons!!  grin

just call omoge 1st make sure she's not on her way to the store when u go
Re: Holiday Dinners (thanskgiving, Xmas, New Years) Are Around The Corner by chika98: 8:18pm On Nov 13, 2008
Time for some of us to gain some weight. cry
Re: Holiday Dinners (thanskgiving, Xmas, New Years) Are Around The Corner by Cayon(f): 4:31pm On Nov 16, 2008
Kwanzaa and other holiday recipies. For shrimp loving folks - Here's a good one:

Shrimp Imojo

Preparation time: 25 minutes
Standing time: 3 to 4 hours
Makes 6 servings.

Ingredients:

1/4 cup each: olive oil, fresh
lemon juice
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 medium tomatoes, seeded,
diced to 1/2-inch
1 medium red onion, diced
1 each: red and green bell
pepper, diced to1/2-inch
3 hot peppers, seeded if desired,
minced
2 large cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup minced parsley
1/2 pound cooked medium shrimp, peeled, deveined
1/2 pound firm fleshed white fish, such as snapper or sole, poached, cut in
1/2-inch cubes Salt, freshly ground pepper to taste

Lettuce leaves

Combine oil, lemon juice and tomato paste in large bowl, stirring until smooth. Add tomatoes, onion, bell peppers, hot peppers, garlic and parsley and toss gently. Fold in shrimp and fish and season with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate 3 to 4 hours before serving. Serve on lettuce.
Re: Holiday Dinners (thanskgiving, Xmas, New Years) Are Around The Corner by Cayon(f): 2:45am On Dec 24, 2008
WHERE IS THIS LADY (AMAKAONE)?

I AM LOOKING FOR A RECIPE SIMILIAR TO SORREL SHE POSTED SOME TIME AGO. ITS MADE FROM HIBISCUS FLOWERS AND IS RED. I WROTE DOWN THE RECIPE BUT I CANT FIND IT.
I'VE SEARCHED EVERY THREAD AND CAN'T FIND. INSTEAD OF MAKING SORREL I WANT TO MAKE THAT DRINK INSTEAD - SINCE I AM HAVING HAVE SOME NIGERIANS OVER FOR XMAS.

PEACE
Re: Holiday Dinners (thanskgiving, Xmas, New Years) Are Around The Corner by gozzilla(m): 3:26pm On Dec 30, 2008
@cayon
The hibiscus leaf is called zobo. so search for zobo in nairaland and you will get plenty of suggestion.

(1) (Reply)

Food For Toddler / Order Black Forest Cake At Cakefesto -order Online Cake Hyderabad / My Free Hand Gucci Bag Cake

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.