Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,167 members, 7,815,063 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:40 AM

Fate Of A Botany Student. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Fate Of A Botany Student. (2931 Views)

For All Students Who Studied Botany Or Any Other Plant Related Field / Any Hope For Fresh Graduates In Botany And Zoology / Should I Go For Botany And Forget My Dream Course? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fate Of A Botany Student. by MzLakore(f): 6:16pm On Oct 16, 2014
Hello everyone... am currently studying botany am kind of enjoying it and am presently in my second year but I have some questions I really need answers to, I hope you guys would be able to help me out especially those involved agricultural science..
Where can a botany student work after school?
Are botanist recognized in today's world?
Are they properly paid good salaries for those doing more field work?...thanks
I hope to get answers
Re: Fate Of A Botany Student. by Nobody: 6:34pm On Oct 16, 2014
Dunno much about botany, but you should consider furthering your education abroad...just look beyond the shores of Africa. With climate change in the mix, many companies are seeking to invest in biofuels and whatnot, also look at the issue of desertification/deforestation, GM crops, e.t.c. You could work with the UN, but you need to start making plans now. Good luck.

2 Likes

Re: Fate Of A Botany Student. by lawrenceunaa: 6:37pm On Oct 16, 2014
Op u should have asked this questions b4 taking up the course undecided

In Nigeria it doesn't matter ur course what matters ur cert and ideas

IM inclusiveinclusive grin
Re: Fate Of A Botany Student. by MzLakore(f): 6:51pm On Oct 16, 2014
Thanks...I didn't plan to continue the course but Post utme last year didn't favour so that's why am this point
Re: Fate Of A Botany Student. by MrPeaceman(m): 6:56pm On Oct 16, 2014
You really don't need to be skeptical about your course, its a superb course. Study it more passionately, and not let its employment oppurtunity disturb you. Unemployment is everywhere and those who studied the so called overated courses are roaming in the streets. As a botanist, you have an advantage. In the Nigerian system, you can almost work everywhere irrespective of your discipline, you name it. Now, your advantage is that, your discipline being a specialized one, you might be lucky to be taken by some big agro-companies where your professional service as a botanist is needed, and trust me, the pay must be a fat one. They won't need an accountant or ecostatician to do the job, because it requires professional handling. Whereas you that read botany could become an accountant in a bank or somewhere else. I'm not talking about oppurtunities outside Nigeria now.
The problem is that, we abandoned agriculture before, that explains the askance look on agricultural courses. But now, agriculture is resurfacing, and alot of agricultural research centres are springing up, more and more to come up, so they really need YOU. Your prospects are high because Nigeria is coming back to agriculture.

4 Likes

Re: Fate Of A Botany Student. by Nobody: 8:44pm On Nov 16, 2014
@mrpeaceman; God bless u!!

Op. if u know what u have now, then u shouldn't be asking much question.

If u are not practically oriented now in Nigeria..then i am sorry..
your course is a fantastic one, you just need to make a good result and the job would come looking for you.

Advise: if u can just take out those parts that can help u self-establish after graduation, then be ready to work ur axxx out throughout ur life.
Re: Fate Of A Botany Student. by SayyediAliyu: 5:02am On Nov 17, 2014
MrPeaceman:
You really don't need to be skeptical about your course, its a superb course. Study it more passionately, and not let its employment oppurtunity disturb you. Unemployment is everywhere and those who studied the so called overated courses are roaming in the streets. As a botanist, you have an advantage. In the Nigerian system, you can almost work everywhere irrespective of your discipline, you name it. Now, your advantage is that, your discipline being a specialized one, you might be lucky to be taken by some big agro-companies where your professional service as a botanist is needed, and trust me, the pay must be a fat one. They won't need an accountant or ecostatician to do the job, because it requires professional handling. Whereas you that read botany could become an accountant in a bank or somewhere else. I'm not talking about oppurtunities outside Nigeria now.
The problem is that, we abandoned agriculture before, that explains the askance look on agricultural courses. But now, agriculture is resurfacing, and alot of agricultural research centres are springing up, more and more to come up, so they really need YOU. Your prospects are high because Nigeria is coming back to agriculture.
I was also a MBBS aspirants for about 3yrs ago now, I was not always given my preferred course.
Now i'm given BSc Biological Sciences in ABU. Pls how do you see the course? And also its carrier
Re: Fate Of A Botany Student. by Akposy(m): 5:46am On Dec 30, 2014
I love dis.
Am a 200lvl botanist!
Re: Fate Of A Botany Student. by oluwadanie1(m): 7:27am On Dec 30, 2014
I once read a book on career paths...

CAREER PATHS IN BOTANY
*Agricultural concerns- pathology, weed control, plant breeding.
*Conservation- Museums, National parks.
*Environmental consultancy.
*Examination Bodies- JAMB, WAEC.
*Forestry.
*Regulatory Agencies- quarantine, NDLEA, SON.
*Research pharmaceuticals.
*Technical Writing.

You can also check www.botany.org/bsa/careers/opportunities.php
Re: Fate Of A Botany Student. by MzLakore(f): 5:10pm On Jan 07, 2015
oluwadanie1:
I once read a book on career paths...

CAREER PATHS IN BOTANY
*Agricultural concerns- pathology, weed control, plant breeding.
*Conservation- Museums, National parks.
*Environmental consultancy.
*Examination Bodies- JAMB, WAEC.
*Forestry.
*Regulatory Agencies- quarantine, NDLEA, SON.
*Research pharmaceuticals.
*Technical Writing.

You can also check www.botany.org/bsa/careers/opportunities.php
thanks for this
Re: Fate Of A Botany Student. by oluwadanie1(m): 4:13pm On Jan 08, 2015
MzLakore:

thanks for this

You're highly welcome
Re: Fate Of A Botany Student. by tuk2ato(m): 8:23pm On Jun 25, 2015
Making agbo jedi jedi. I think I saw your look alike in Ibadan today, wearing the same outfit as your dp. angry
MzLakore:
Hello everyone... am currently studying botany am kind of enjoying it and am presently in my second year but I have some questions I really need answers to, I hope you guys would be able to help me out especially those involved agricultural science..
Where can a botany student work after school?
Are botanist recognized in today's world?
Are they properly paid good salaries for those doing more field work?...thanks
I hope to get answers
Re: Fate Of A Botany Student. by MzLakore(f): 2:00pm On Jun 27, 2015
tuk2ato:
Making agbo jedi jedi. I think I saw your look alike in Ibadan today, wearing the same outfit as your dp. angry
check your brain out before you start dropping comments
Re: Fate Of A Botany Student. by tuk2ato(m): 5:13pm On Jun 27, 2015
My brain is in order, it's shallow minds like you that don't understand my sarcasm.
MzLakore:
check your brain out before you start dropping comments

(1) (Reply)

First Nigerian Professors Of Various Disciplines / Do Noun Students Receive Lectures And How Does Noun Exam Look Like? / Is Fidelity-access International Scholarship Relyable?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.