Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,208 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:22 AM

Help Needed On A Transmission Related Issue. - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Help Needed On A Transmission Related Issue. (1562 Views)

Interpretation Of Obdii Scan Results And Related Issues / Do You Drive Auto Transmission With One Foot Or Both? / Transmission Related Problems (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help Needed On A Transmission Related Issue. by mrperfect85: 7:22pm On Oct 16, 2014
I say a very good evening to all the car gurus in the house. Please a brother needs help on an auto related issue dts bugging him.

Background:
I drive an automatic transmission nissan maxima 2001 model.Recently ,precisely on the 11th of this month, I discoverd I ran short of tranny fluid while driviing due to a leakage in the pipe that carries the fluid to the radiator bt luckily I had only driven the car for abt 10mins and was still close to the house so I turned back and had a technician look at it. We discovered the point of leakage n addressed the issue by changing a clip and that was resloved and subsequently, 5litres of OANDO dextron II was used to top up.
Prior to that time, I had bn experiencing issues of stalling with the car and my tech said it was due to d faulty injector mouth. I reckon its the component that carries the throttle position sensor. Anyways, we fixed It and the issue of stalling stopped.

Note: The check carried out on the tranny guage was done because the car stalled midway during the drive as it used to do.

Challenge:
Immediately after the injector mouth was changed, I noticed a sudden change in the transmission of the car.
1. Frequent aggressive gear changes especially from gear 1 to 2.
2. Unsual jerks during gear change.
3. Annoying sounds during driving especially at the point of changing gears.

Please pardon the litany of stories I just reeled out. What do u advise I do immediately to rectify this issue. Thanks
Re: Help Needed On A Transmission Related Issue. by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:48pm On Oct 16, 2014
mrperfect85:
I say a very good evening to all the car gurus in the house. Please a brother needs help on an auto related issue dts bugging him.

Background:
I drive an automatic transmission nissan maxima 2001 model.Recently ,precisely on the 11th of this month, I discoverd I ran short of tranny fluid while driviing due to a leakage in the pipe that carries the fluid to the radiator bt luckily I had only driven the car for abt 10mins and was still close to the house so I turned back and had a technician look at it. We discovered the point of leakage n addressed the issue by changing a clip and that was resloved and subsequently, 5litres of OANDO dextron II was used to top up.
Prior to that time, I had bn experiencing issues of stalling with the car and my tech said it was due to d faulty injector mouth. I reckon its the component that carries the throttle position sensor. Anyways, we fixed It and the issue of stalling stopped.

Note: The check carried out on the tranny guage was done because the car stalled midway during the drive as it used to do.

Challenge:
Immediately after the injector mouth was changed, I noticed a sudden change in the transmission of the car.

Please pardon the litany of stories I just reeled out. What do u advise I do immediately to rectify this issue. Thanks

You used the wrong transmission fluid type, the recommended fluid is Nissan Matic D ATF, but Dextron III/Mercon ATF or equivalent may also be used.

Please drain the oil its contaminated.
Re: Help Needed On A Transmission Related Issue. by mrperfect85: 8:00pm On Oct 16, 2014
@gazuzz, thank you very much. Can I use oando dextron III as a substitute for niss matic D?, if yes, how many litres am I required to use.? Thanks
Re: Help Needed On A Transmission Related Issue. by pragmatistm(m): 8:39pm On Oct 16, 2014
mrperfect85:
@gazuzz, thank you very much. Can I use oando dextron III as a substitute for niss matic D?, if yes, how many litres am I required to use.? Thanks
.@mrperfect, let me give you a piece of advice concerning cars in nigeria.all modern cars require first, the owner's attention before the mechanic's. How do I mean? Whenever your car has an issue, you as the educated owner will quickly consult the car's manual or the internet. With that you will know what's wrong and how to fix it. If you can do it yourself, you will do so, otherwise you will take it to the mechanic and explain what to be done. That's it. Never go to the illiterate and ignorant nigerian roadside mechanic first! They will spoil your car and cause you to spend a hell of money without resolving the issue.

Concerning your question, the answer is actually at your finger tips. Yes. Type the question into google with the car's specifications and that's it. Or if you have the manual (you can get it online too), check it there. You can visit www.nissanclub.com forum and register to ask questions on your car.
Re: Help Needed On A Transmission Related Issue. by mayor2013: 8:54pm On Oct 16, 2014
Would suggest you start by flush the old transmission fluid. Not only that service the transmission filter too. This involves only cleaning up the filter and if you see or notice burnt spot on the filter change the filter afterwards. Nissan matic D is your right transmission fluid. 4 litres should guage it. After all this is done I suggest you run a scan on your car to reveal other issues to be tackled
Re: Help Needed On A Transmission Related Issue. by gidjah(m): 9:31pm On Oct 16, 2014
mayor2013:
Would suggest you start by flush the old transmission fluid. Not only that service the transmission filter too. This involves only cleaning up the filter and if you see or notice burnt spot on the filter change the filter afterwards. Nissan matic D is your right transmission fluid. 4 litres should guage it. After all this is done I suggest you run a scan on your car to reveal other issues to be tackled
GOD bless you sir ,you killed d beast,those suggestion would do just ok
Re: Help Needed On A Transmission Related Issue. by mrperfect85: 10:07pm On Oct 16, 2014
Thanks a million for all the wonderful advice. I'll definitely do a transmission flush this weekend. Where can I get the niss matic D transmission fluid to buy in ph n at what cost? Thanks
Re: Help Needed On A Transmission Related Issue. by tsiriman(m): 10:32pm On Oct 16, 2014
mrperfect85:

Background:

Challenge:

A friend brought a 2004 Honda Civic tokumbo, after driving it with no problem for like a month with no issues he just decided to service the whole car, the service included changing the tranny oil, his 'mechanic' suggested oando. His gear box packed up after less than a week.

Never follow your mechanic's advice, do some research first, consult your manual, check the internet, forums...etc
Re: Help Needed On A Transmission Related Issue. by muyiski(m): 12:19am On Oct 17, 2014
It is surely the transmission fluid that needs change. Please do a proper flush of the transmission so that all the former fluid can be flushed out. I will get back to you on the proper transmission fluid to be used.
Re: Help Needed On A Transmission Related Issue. by muyiski(m): 12:33am On Oct 17, 2014
Nissan type D ATF is the recommended fluid from the manufacturer, but if you can't get Nisaan type D ATF,try any of the synthetics like Valvoline Maxlife ATF, Castrol Multi-import ATF and Amsoil ATF. Why I do not advise Dextron III/Mercon is because it has been found to cause sticking in the valves of the valve body.
Re: Help Needed On A Transmission Related Issue. by mrperfect85: 7:33am On Oct 17, 2014
Thanks y'all for ur sugggestioins. But does anyone have an idea where the fluids as listed by muyiski can be purchased in ph and how much it cost? Tnx
Re: Help Needed On A Transmission Related Issue. by mayor2013: 8:29am On Oct 17, 2014
Would be difficult to get in ph. Still had to get 5w30 for a freind cos it wasn't readily available. If you have someone in Lagos it would be much easier
Re: Help Needed On A Transmission Related Issue. by mrperfect85: 9:41am On Oct 17, 2014
Considering how difficult it might seem to get the tranny fluids in pH, would it be advisable to use the oando dextron 3 as earlier recommended by Gazzuz as that seems readily available.
Secondly, I would also like to find out if the filling station attendants can carry out the fluid change at their lube bay. Thanks for all your wonderful contributions.
Re: Help Needed On A Transmission Related Issue. by mayor2013: 1:44pm On Oct 17, 2014
Oando dextron 3 is just a temporary fluid replacement.i dont know what obtains in ph. But what the filling station guys would do is just to drain the old oil there. Look for a competent mechanic to drain fluid and wash the filter too
Re: Help Needed On A Transmission Related Issue. by mrperfect85: 2:03pm On Oct 17, 2014
Thanks mayor. I'll do as I'v been advised. Cheers
Re: Help Needed On A Transmission Related Issue. by Gloriouspa(m): 2:22pm On Oct 17, 2014
@GUZZUZZ
Pls where can I get MERCON ATF for my FORD Pickup.
I am in Ibadan.

Thanks..

1 Like

Re: Help Needed On A Transmission Related Issue. by mrperfect85: 10:20pm On Oct 17, 2014
Good evening everyone, I did the fluid change as recommended using oando dextron 3 but unfortunately there was no significant change in the drive. Guess its high time I started setting aside some bread for a new gearbox. Thanks for your wonderful suggestions. Cheers
Re: Help Needed On A Transmission Related Issue. by Nobody: 10:29pm On Oct 17, 2014
mrperfect85:
Good evening everyone, I did the fluid change as recommended using oando dextron 3 but unfortunately there was no significant change in the drive. Guess its high time I started setting aside some bread for a new gearbox. Thanks for your wonderful suggestions. Cheers
Is the SES light on?
Re: Help Needed On A Transmission Related Issue. by mayor2013: 6:10am On Oct 18, 2014
mrperfect85:

Why not run a scan first before you finally conclude on what needs to be done

1 Like

Re: Help Needed On A Transmission Related Issue. by mayor2013: 6:12am On Oct 18, 2014
Was the filter as well checked

1 Like

Re: Help Needed On A Transmission Related Issue. by mrperfect85: 1:27pm On Oct 18, 2014
The filter wasn't checked. Just drained the tranny fluid and had d mech put the new one. Didn't want to take d risk of having him loose the bottom plate before another story go enter the matter. Thanks for your help
Re: Help Needed On A Transmission Related Issue. by muyiski(m): 12:46pm On Oct 21, 2014
You will need to flush the gearbox again, and until you get either of the three transmission fluids earlier mentioned, the gearbox may not work properly. I believe you should get it in Lagos and for as low as 2000 naira it can be shipped to you. You will also need to change the filter.
Re: Help Needed On A Transmission Related Issue. by domack99(m): 8:05pm On Oct 21, 2014
First you need to run a scan and get us the code thrown by the ECU. You can get ELM327 with torque lite or car doctor on your Android phone you will be able to get the code.

Can you please explain more on the jerking pattern, if you are experiencing the jerking only when changing from park to drive, park to reverse, reverse to drive etc while the car is not moving, then you might have to check your engine and transmission mount. This type of jerking issue will never throw a code.

Removing the filter is not that difficult, need to remove the filter, clean it or replace it and do another refill and this time please confirm the smell and colour of your ATF.
Re: Help Needed On A Transmission Related Issue. by Gloriouspa(m): 7:48am On Oct 24, 2014
Good morning house.

Pls where can I get MERCON
ATF for my FORD F150 Pickup van
I am in Ibadan.

Thanks.
Re: Help Needed On A Transmission Related Issue. by mayor2013: 8:38am On Oct 24, 2014
[quote author=Gloriouspa post=27404371]
Good morning house.

Pls where can I get MERCON
ATF for my FORD F150 Pickup van
I am in Ibadan.

Mecron Atf is not a conmon Atf found in Nigeria. Check my signature to reach me if you really need one for your ford
Re: Help Needed On A Transmission Related Issue. by noel76(m): 6:29am On Oct 25, 2014
@ mr perfect85 u can get d ATF oil @ ikoku by mile3 junction ask of kabaka he deals mostly on nissan parts and he can also direct u if he doesn't hav it. Also make sure u clean d gearbox filter by removing it tru d bottom plate.
Re: Help Needed On A Transmission Related Issue. by muyiski(m): 1:19pm On Nov 01, 2014
I believe the gear problem has been solved mrperfect85
Re: Help Needed On A Transmission Related Issue. by Dave1987: 7:22am On Nov 19, 2014
domack99:
First you need to run a scan and get us the code thrown by the ECU. You can get ELM327 with torque lite or car doctor on your Android phone you will be able to get the code.

Can you please explain more on the jerking pattern, if you are experiencing the jerking only when changing from park to drive, park to reverse, reverse to drive etc while the car is not moving, then you might have to check your engine and transmission mount. This type of jerking issue will never throw a code.

Removing the filter is not that difficult, need to remove the filter, clean it or replace it and do another refill and this time please confirm the smell and colour of your ATF.

Can you just states how to use elm327 adapter to project the function
Re: Help Needed On A Transmission Related Issue. by AutosBay(m): 7:54am On Nov 19, 2014
@ Op Please read this with peruse might just come in handy https://www.nairaland.com/1233994/transmission-related-problems

(1) (Reply)

Photo: Test Your Knowledge Of Car Parts / Speeding Hymns / Gear Selection Issue On Golf 3

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.