Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,461 members, 7,819,680 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:44 PM

The Accidental Hse Professional - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / The Accidental Hse Professional (1253 Views)

Offshore Electrical Maintenance Easter Training Promo With Free HSE Training / Especially For The Engineers, Get Health & Safety (HSE) Professional Certs / Nebosh Courses Offer In Lagos(hse) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Accidental Hse Professional by dein77(m): 10:14am On Oct 17, 2014
Today, I'm really fulfilled working as a HSE professional in Port Harcourt. But it was never my desire or choice to be one. I had always wanted to be a Petroleum Engineer.

I applied for Petroleum Engineering in the Petroleum Training Institute, Delta state. I couldn't get my choice course because I didn't meet the required cutoff mark. I was sad and despondent. Seeking admission into any higher institution in Nigeria isn't easy.

The school suggested I study Industrial Safety and Environmental Engineering. I was determined to reapply the following year, but the thought of doing nothing for another year was even more depressing. After some consultations, I decide to give a try. I reluctantly accepted to study the available option.

My first semester wasn't easy. I didn't like the course. I was envious of the Petroleum Engineering students. I used to see myself in their attires. My first semester result was poor, at least, by my standards. I manged to get an uppercredit.

But as time wore on I began picking interest in the course. The prospect of being responsible for the health and safety of future fellow employees was a motivating thought. I finished my course of study with a good grade.

Today, with that certificate, I have worked as a HSE professional for over 5 years, and have achieved some appreciable level of success. The safety profession is now a very competitive profession, as thousands of graduates have trooped into the field, having abandoned their own careers. The field is still very green in Nigeria.

I'm happy that God has turned what was a sad beginning into a successful career. I give Him all the praise.

I'm a proud HSE professional today!
Re: The Accidental Hse Professional by Wandeayo(m): 10:25am On Oct 17, 2014
Morning Sir, am a young she professional, I will need your help concerning this career. Can we discuss better via mail?, I will so much appreciate it sir. Mine is olagbenroayodeji@yahoo.com
Will be expecting your mail sir.
Regards

1 Like

Re: The Accidental Hse Professional by dein77(m): 10:42am On Oct 17, 2014
Wandeayo:
Morning Sir, am a young she professional, I will need your help concerning this career. Can we discuss better via mail?, I will so much appreciate it sir. Mine is olagbenroayodeji@yahoo.com
Will be expecting your mail sir.
Regards

That will be nice. It's an exciting field.
Mine is mydesire20003@yahoo.com.
Re: The Accidental Hse Professional by braine(m): 11:12am On Oct 17, 2014
Congrats.. So, how long have you been in the profession?
Re: The Accidental Hse Professional by Wandeayo(m): 11:21am On Oct 17, 2014
A year and few months, she career is an interesting career, I ve done ispon ghse, level 3, OSHA, and nebosh igc, hoping to apply for iso courses soon
Re: The Accidental Hse Professional by braine(m): 11:31am On Oct 17, 2014
I'm actually interested in those courses as they fit into my career. Where did you enroll for yours? Nebosh igc is quite expensive tho.
Re: The Accidental Hse Professional by Wandeayo(m): 12:39pm On Oct 17, 2014
I did the ispon she courses at ispon branch abeokuta, the nebosh at novelle centre ikeja lagos and the OSHA occupational health and safety courses was done online.

1 Like

Re: The Accidental Hse Professional by dein77(m): 12:55pm On Oct 17, 2014
braine:
Congrats.. So, how long have you been in the profession?

More than 5 years.
Re: The Accidental Hse Professional by dein77(m): 12:55pm On Oct 17, 2014
braine:
I'm actually interested in those courses as they fit into my career. Where did you enroll for yours? Nebosh igc is quite expensive tho.

Yeah. It's quite expensive. I did mine in PH.
Re: The Accidental Hse Professional by Wandeayo(m): 12:56pm On Oct 17, 2014
dein77:

That will be nice. It's an exciting field.
Mine is mydesire20003@yahoo.com.

Ve sent you mail sir

1 Like

Re: The Accidental Hse Professional by dein77(m): 12:56pm On Oct 17, 2014
Wandeayo:
I did the ispon she courses at ispon branch abeokuta, the nebosh at novelle centre ikeja lagos and the OSHA occupational health and safety courses was done online.

That's very good. You're already in the field.
Re: The Accidental Hse Professional by dein77(m): 12:57pm On Oct 17, 2014
Wandeayo:

Ve sent you mail sir

Ok. Thanks.
Re: The Accidental Hse Professional by braine(m): 1:05pm On Oct 17, 2014
dein77:

Yeah. It's quite expensive. I did mine in PH.
Nice. I completed my first degree in Environmental Botany and Palynology; would you recommend these courses and would it give the opportunity to fit into the oil and gas and other relevant industries?

1 Like

Re: The Accidental Hse Professional by braine(m): 1:10pm On Oct 17, 2014
Wandeayo:

Ve sent you mail sir
I think you two should communicate here as some of us may learn/benefit from it.
Re: The Accidental Hse Professional by dein77(m): 1:41pm On Oct 17, 2014
[quote author=braine post=27219360] Nice. I completed my first degree in Environmental Botany and Palynology; would you recommend these courses and would it give the opportunity to fit into the oil and gas and other relevant industries? [/quote

Of course. Very well.....
Re: The Accidental Hse Professional by Knight86(m): 10:24am On Oct 18, 2014
dein77:
Today, I'm really fulfilled working as a HSE professional in Port Harcourt. But it was never my desire or choice to be one. I had always wanted to be a Petroleum Engineer.

I applied for Petroleum Engineering in the Petroleum Training Institute, Delta state. I couldn't get my choice course because I didn't meet the required cutoff mark. I was sad and despondent. Seeking admission into any higher institution in Nigeria isn't easy.

The school suggested I study Industrial Safety and Environmental Engineering. I was determined to reapply the following year, but the thought of doing nothing for another year was even more depressing. After some consultations, I decide to give a try. I reluctantly accepted to study the available option.

My first semester wasn't easy. I didn't like the course. I was envious of the Petroleum Engineering students. I used to see myself in their attires. My first semester result was poor, at least, by my standards. I manged to get an uppercredit.

But as time wore on I began picking interest in the course. The prospect of being responsible for the health and safety of future fellow employees was a motivating thought. I finished my course of study with a good grade.

Today, with that certificate, I have worked as a HSE professional for over 5 years, and have achieved some appreciable level of success. The safety profession is now a very competitive profession, as thousands of graduates have trooped into the field, having abandoned their own careers. The field is still very green in Nigeria.

I'm happy that God has turned what was a sad beginning into a successful career. I give Him all the praise.

I'm a proud HSE professional today!

Indeed the field is still very green in Nigeria, but there are some challenges for people who just got certified. Most companies prefer to employ the services of experienced Safety professionals than those who are fresh in the field. Where can the 'green horns' work to get hands-on experience? How do one overcome this challenge? I find the safety field very interesting and really want to start working as a Safety professional. I have done GHSE and Level 3 courses with ISPON and I'm presently working as a QA/QC personnel in a FMCG company, but I want to go further than this. What courses can you recommend please?
Re: The Accidental Hse Professional by olabagro: 1:24pm On Oct 18, 2014
AM AN HSE ENGINEER PRESENTLY WORKING IN QATAR , HAVE WORK AS HSE MANAGER FOR 2 CONSECUTIVE COMPANY HERE IN QATAR BOTH CONSTRUCTION COMPANY BUT MY PASSION IS STILL TO SEE MA SELF WORKING AS AN HSE PROFESSIONAL IN NIGERIA IF ANY BODY HAVE ANY MEANS TO HELP ME TO SEE THIS COMING TRUE .................OLAB007@YAHOO.COM.......... PLS YOU CAN SEND MAIL TO ME ON THE MAIL ADDRESS
Re: The Accidental Hse Professional by dein77(m): 7:49pm On Oct 18, 2014
Knight86:

Indeed the field is still very green in Nigeria, but there are some challenges for people who just got certified. Most companies prefer to employ the services of experienced Safety professionals than those who are fresh in the field. Where can the 'green horns' work to get hands-on experience? How do one overcome this challenge? I find the safety field very interesting and really want to start working as a Safety professional. I have done GHSE and Level 3 courses with ISPON and I'm presently working as a QA/QC personnel in a FMCG company, but I want to go further than this. What courses can you recommend please?

I'm really sorry for the late reply. Have you considered any NEBOSH courses yet?

(1) (Reply)

Career Enhancement and Job Preparatory Programme For Corpers And Fresh Graduates / Listen Once And For All My Friend, And Be Clever / Please Nairalanders Help: I'm Cursed To Not Make It In Life

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.