Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,589 members, 7,958,821 topics. Date: Thursday, 26 September 2024 at 03:33 AM

A Thread In Honour Of The First Female Nigerian To Get A P.hd In Mathematics - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / A Thread In Honour Of The First Female Nigerian To Get A P.hd In Mathematics (3976 Views)

Urgent Help: M.sc & P.hd In Bus. Admin After B.sc In Bus. Education? / M.sc and P.hd In Either Power Or Telecom In India. Whats Ur Take? / No B.sc - No P.hd How True? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Thread In Honour Of The First Female Nigerian To Get A P.hd In Mathematics by hybeenoni: 3:32pm On Oct 17, 2014
Ladies and Gents plz join me in celebrating Prof Olabisi Ugbebor, the first woman in Nigeria to get a Phd Honour in Mathematics in 1976 at the age of 25yrs.
Looking at the current comatose state of our educational system, I can't help bt envy Mama for her great achievement.
She is still very agile and an active Lecturer in the Department of Mathematics, University of Ibadan (UI).
God Bless Ma

2 Likes

Re: A Thread In Honour Of The First Female Nigerian To Get A P.hd In Mathematics by oluwadanie1(m): 3:33pm On Oct 17, 2014
Re: A Thread In Honour Of The First Female Nigerian To Get A P.hd In Mathematics by erutoria: 3:36pm On Oct 17, 2014
No be small opoolo(brain) go dey dat head.
Re: A Thread In Honour Of The First Female Nigerian To Get A P.hd In Mathematics by amakufrancis(m): 3:38pm On Oct 17, 2014
erutoria:
i caught you
Re: A Thread In Honour Of The First Female Nigerian To Get A P.hd In Mathematics by amakufrancis(m): 3:39pm On Oct 17, 2014
oluwadanie1:
i caught you too, seems u guys ae married to each other.

1 Like

Re: A Thread In Honour Of The First Female Nigerian To Get A P.hd In Mathematics by priscaoge(f): 3:56pm On Oct 17, 2014
Her brain must be fire in Mathematics!
Re: A Thread In Honour Of The First Female Nigerian To Get A P.hd In Mathematics by Nobody: 4:08pm On Oct 17, 2014
This one would convert your Future to mathematical equation... undecided
Her brain must be sizzling hot
Re: A Thread In Honour Of The First Female Nigerian To Get A P.hd In Mathematics by MrPeaceman(m): 4:10pm On Oct 17, 2014
That is a good one for her. Intellectual legends are worth celebrating, continually. Prof. Chike Obi in the making.
Re: A Thread In Honour Of The First Female Nigerian To Get A P.hd In Mathematics by itstpia1: 4:18pm On Oct 17, 2014
Op you didnt give a complete biography.

Nee Falode, born in Lagos state to Osun parents.

Her husband is Igbo or midwest I guess, from the name.
Re: A Thread In Honour Of The First Female Nigerian To Get A P.hd In Mathematics by hybeenoni: 4:48pm On Oct 17, 2014
@ itstpia 1 her husband is actually from Edo state.
What a mentor to me mama is!
Re: A Thread In Honour Of The First Female Nigerian To Get A P.hd In Mathematics by rioemmanuel(m): 4:52pm On Oct 17, 2014
Welldone mama
Re: A Thread In Honour Of The First Female Nigerian To Get A P.hd In Mathematics by Sambest2(m): 5:05pm On Oct 17, 2014
@ OP, I strongly disagree with you, she is neither the first woman to bag a Ph.D nor the first to become a professor in Nigeria, she is just the first to become a Professor of mathematics in University of Ibadan.
Re: A Thread In Honour Of The First Female Nigerian To Get A P.hd In Mathematics by euphorbia(f): 5:16pm On Oct 17, 2014
hybeenoni:
@ itstpia 1 her husband is actually from Edo state.
What a mentor to me mama is!
Nop,her husband is from delta-agbor.I once meet her.she is a humble woman.
Re: A Thread In Honour Of The First Female Nigerian To Get A P.hd In Mathematics by hybeenoni: 5:56pm On Oct 17, 2014
[quote author=Sambest2 post=27225487]@ OP, I strongly disagree with you, she is neither the first woman to bag a Ph.D nor the first to become a professor in Nigeria, she is just the first to become a Professor of mathematics in University of Ibadan.

Its always very easy to reject a claim, y nt tel us d first female in Nigeria to get a Phd in Mathematics then.
Re: A Thread In Honour Of The First Female Nigerian To Get A P.hd In Mathematics by Smartsyn(m): 6:01pm On Oct 17, 2014
Did she achieve that feat in a Nigerian university...? Cos most of the Lecturers teaching Mathematics and Industrial Physic/Chemistry in our Universities are witches and wizards..
Re: A Thread In Honour Of The First Female Nigerian To Get A P.hd In Mathematics by hybeenoni: 6:03pm On Oct 17, 2014
[quote author=Smartsyn post=27227017]Did she achieve that feat in a Nigerian university...? Cos most of the Lecturers teaching Mathematics and Industrial Physic/Chemistry in our Universities are witches and wizards..

Nah she achieved d feat in a UK University
Re: A Thread In Honour Of The First Female Nigerian To Get A P.hd In Mathematics by Sambest2(m): 6:10pm On Oct 17, 2014
hybeenoni:
Its always very easy to reject a claim, y nt
tel us d first female in Nigeria to get a Phd
in Mathematics then.
Professor Grace Alele-Williams is the first female to receive a Ph.D in Mathematics. She is also the first female Professor in Mathematics, also the first female VC of a university. She is the first female to receive a Ph.D degree in general.
Re: A Thread In Honour Of The First Female Nigerian To Get A P.hd In Mathematics by hybeenoni: 6:41pm On Oct 17, 2014
Professor Grace Alele-Williams is the first female to receive a Ph.D in Mathematics. She is also the first female Professor in Mathematics, also the first female VC of a university. She is the first female to receive a Ph.D degree in general.

Hv also heard abt Prof Grace Alele-Williams though bt the year she got her P.hd was nt stated. Mind telling me the year if u knw?
Re: A Thread In Honour Of The First Female Nigerian To Get A P.hd In Mathematics by Sambest2(m): 7:54pm On Oct 17, 2014
hybeenoni:
Hv also heard abt Prof Grace Alele-Williams
though bt the year she got her P.hd was nt
stated. Mind telling me the year if u knw?
It was in 1963 she obtained her Ph.D in mathematics from University of Chicago.
Re: A Thread In Honour Of The First Female Nigerian To Get A P.hd In Mathematics by Incredyable(m): 8:09pm On Oct 17, 2014
Sambest2:

yh,the first female VC of great uniben.
Re: A Thread In Honour Of The First Female Nigerian To Get A P.hd In Mathematics by Nobody: 10:03pm On Oct 17, 2014
hybeenoni:

Hv also heard abt Prof Grace Alele-Williams though bt the year she got her P.hd was nt stated. Mind telling me the year if u knw?
hehe....

It appears you're of Indomie generation..

The Alele he is talking about should be at least, 20yrs older than her if that pic is a recent one, though she is late now I suppose.

She schooled with the likes of Achebe Chinualurumuogu, Clark, Okigbo , Ekwensi and a vast other titans of ours.

Always put your findings right prior to broadcasting.
Re: A Thread In Honour Of The First Female Nigerian To Get A P.hd In Mathematics by Sambest2(m): 5:06am On Oct 18, 2014
blizard44:
hehe....

It appears you're of Indomie generation..

The Alele he is talking about should be at least, 20yrs older than her if that pic is a recent one, though she is late now I suppose.

She schooled with the likes of Achebe Chinualurumuogu, Clark, Okigbo , Ekwensi and a vast other titans of ours.

Always put your findings right prior to broadcasting.
True but Professor Grace Alele-Williams is hale and hearty, By God's grace she'll be 82 by December.
Re: A Thread In Honour Of The First Female Nigerian To Get A P.hd In Mathematics by erutoria: 11:25am On Oct 22, 2014
amakufrancis:
i caught you
hahahahaha where u for catch me?
Re: A Thread In Honour Of The First Female Nigerian To Get A P.hd In Mathematics by erutoria: 11:28am On Oct 22, 2014
amakufrancis:
i caught you too, seems u guys ae married to each other.
u don't know?
Re: A Thread In Honour Of The First Female Nigerian To Get A P.hd In Mathematics by amakufrancis(m): 1:50pm On Oct 22, 2014
erutoria:
hahahahaha where u for catch me?
for fupre off porthacort road.
Re: A Thread In Honour Of The First Female Nigerian To Get A P.hd In Mathematics by amakufrancis(m): 1:51pm On Oct 22, 2014
erutoria:
u don't know?
really? But u neva told me naw
Re: A Thread In Honour Of The First Female Nigerian To Get A P.hd In Mathematics by erutoria: 8:32pm On Oct 22, 2014
amakufrancis:
for fupre off porthacort road.
where den dey call like dat?
Re: A Thread In Honour Of The First Female Nigerian To Get A P.hd In Mathematics by amakufrancis(m): 10:44pm On Oct 22, 2014
erutoria:
where den dey call like dat?
lol warri
Re: A Thread In Honour Of The First Female Nigerian To Get A P.hd In Mathematics by erutoria: 7:07am On Oct 23, 2014
amakufrancis:
lol warri
u don miss road.
Re: A Thread In Honour Of The First Female Nigerian To Get A P.hd In Mathematics by erutoria: 7:08am On Oct 23, 2014
amakufrancis:
lol warri
u don miss road. because I am writing with pigin english?
Re: A Thread In Honour Of The First Female Nigerian To Get A P.hd In Mathematics by amakufrancis(m): 8:56am On Oct 23, 2014
erutoria:
u don miss road. because I am writing with pigin english?
exactly

(1) (2) (Reply)

Full Summary Of The Last Days At Forcados High School / Career Prospects Of Office And Information Management / Moving Sand Found In Iraq Just Like Ocean

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.