Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,755 members, 7,820,616 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:19 PM

A Thread In Honour Of The First Female Nigerian To Get A P.hd In Mathematics - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / A Thread In Honour Of The First Female Nigerian To Get A P.hd In Mathematics (3848 Views)

Urgent Help: M.sc & P.hd In Bus. Admin After B.sc In Bus. Education? / M.sc and P.hd In Either Power Or Telecom In India. Whats Ur Take? / No B.sc - No P.hd How True? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply)

Re: A Thread In Honour Of The First Female Nigerian To Get A P.hd In Mathematics by hybeenoni: 1:35pm On Oct 23, 2014
Sambest2
Professor Grace Alele-William is the first female to receive a Ph.D in Mathematics. She is also the first female Professor in Mathematics, also the first female VC of a university. She is the first female to receive a Ph.D degree in general.
@ sambest maybe u do ur findings again coz Prof Grace Alele Williams got her Ph.D in Mathematics education while Prof Ugbebor got hers in Mathematical science, both in different faculties
Re: A Thread In Honour Of The First Female Nigerian To Get A P.hd In Mathematics by Sambest2(m): 2:50pm On Oct 23, 2014
hybeenoni:
@ sambest maybe u do ur findings again coz Prof Grace Alele Williams got her Ph.D in Mathematics education while Prof Ugbebor got hers in Mathematical science, both in different faculties
Wow!!!, I see you've done a little "googling", I don't dispute your finding. When you talk of Mathematics, it's mathematics. Only when you try to differentiate then you say Mathematics Education or Mathematical Science, just like mathematical science can further be divided into pure and applied. But still at that, I doubt if she is the first to obtain a Ph.D in mathematical science, whether pure or applied. I know she is the first to become a Prof. of Mathematics in UI and the third in Nigeria as a country.

Do you know what amazes me?. My lecturer who is a Prof. told us that She taught him in his Masters.
Re: A Thread In Honour Of The First Female Nigerian To Get A P.hd In Mathematics by hybeenoni: 5:27am On Oct 27, 2014
@ sambest, I actually got to knw of her achievement during her inaugural lectures which I attended. It was clearly stated dt day dt she was d first Female PHd holder in Math'l Sci in Nigeria.
Nd yea its possible if she taught ur lecturer during his Msc coz mama has taught countless No of students some of whom r professsors nw. In fact, she is my projct supervisor

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Things You Should Do In Your 20s To Avoid Having Regrets In Your 30s / SHOCKING News !!! See How A Female Corper Was Impregnated By A Jss 2 Student / Nigerian Satellite Built By FUTA (Federal University Of Technology, Akure)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.