Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,199 members, 7,818,664 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:15 PM

Court Upholds Ban On Use Of Hijab In Lagos Public Schools - Education (17) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Court Upholds Ban On Use Of Hijab In Lagos Public Schools (52471 Views)

Five Things About Students Who Attend Public Schools. / Public Schools Back In Those Days (Your Experiences) / Privatize Public Schools And Distribute Their Shares To The Masses (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Court Upholds Ban On Use Of Hijab In Lagos Public Schools by Nobody: 2:05pm On Oct 19, 2014
mrofficial:

You can practice your religion even in school. The constitution did not state wearing of Hijab in public school with uniform. Do the girls wear Hijab while in the bathroom?

You just made your ignorance very obvious. You clearly have no idea why Muslim women wear hijab if you can ask that stúpid question.
Re: Court Upholds Ban On Use Of Hijab In Lagos Public Schools by mrofficial(m): 2:20pm On Oct 19, 2014
MissMeiya:

You just made your ignorance very obvious. You clearly have no idea why Muslim women wear hijab if you can ask that stúpid question.

I asked the guy who quoted the constitution. If you read the section 38 which he quoted, your brain may be able to fathom my question. I don't want to insult anyone regarding this post. If you can't do without insult, don't quote me again.
Re: Court Upholds Ban On Use Of Hijab In Lagos Public Schools by Nobody: 2:33pm On Oct 19, 2014
mrofficial:

I asked the guy who quoted the constitution. If you read the section 38 which he quoted, your brain may be able to fathom my question. I don't want to insult anyone regarding this post. If you can't do without insult, don't quote me again.

Smh. You're too dull. Your question makes it obvious that you have no idea what you are talking about.

Alright, let me explain it slowly, since you didn't get it the first time. Freedom of religious practice is protected by the Constitution. In Muslim religious practice, women are obliged to cover certain parts of their bodies in front of men they are not related to. Male family members and other women are not included.

So, your question about if they must wear hijab in the bathroom is a stúpid one. Because their religion does not require them to hide their hair from themselves. But if Nigerian schoolgirls are in the practice of bathing with strange men, I assure you, the hijab would be the least of anyone's concerns.
Re: Court Upholds Ban On Use Of Hijab In Lagos Public Schools by mrofficial(m): 3:23pm On Oct 19, 2014
MissMeiya:

Smh. You're too dull. Your question makes it obvious that you have no idea what you are talking about.

Alright, let me explain it slowly, since you didn't get it the first time. Freedom of religious practice is protected by the Constitution. In Muslim religious practice, women are obliged to cover certain parts of their bodies in front of men they are not related to. Male family members and other women are not included.

So, your question about if they must wear hijab in the bathroom is a stúpid one. Because their religion does not require them to hide their hair from themselves. But if Nigerian schoolgirls are in the practice of bathing with strange men, I assure you, the hijab would be the least of anyone's concerns.

Since you didn't get my question, I will enlighten your dull brain. The case of not using Hijab in the bathroom doesn't subject to "can't be covering their bodies from themselves". We both know that removing of Hijab is done because there is a need for them to remove the Hijab while in the bathroom (That's if any of them was wearing it). And even if you choose to wear Hijab to your own bathroom, that's your own wahala. This is a public school with uniform and that is an unquestionable reason for you not to add anything religious to it. Because the school is not attended or made for Muslims alone.

If there is a need for a muslim girl to cover her hair, the school always have beret for the girls.

I believe you also know that preaching inside of a public bus has also been banned. But if the preacher feels like preaching inside of his room or in his church for 24 hours, that's his own wahala. You can't come to the public and try to force your belief on everyone and start claiming freedom of religion in the public, there is no common sense in that.

Every time the government does something right that affects the Muslims, they always see it as an attack on Islam without applying common sense which is the problem we are facing here. Preaching inside of the bus or broadcasting of miracles on TV doesn't affect anyone yet they are banned. But if one applies common sense, you will see that it is a good step forward. We have to respect everyone's belief in public and put away religion.

Lastly, we should not let religion becloud our sense of reasoning.

1 Like

Re: Court Upholds Ban On Use Of Hijab In Lagos Public Schools by Nobody: 3:24pm On Oct 19, 2014
mrofficial:

Since you didn't get my question, I will enlighten your dull brain. The case of not using Hijab in the bathroom doesn't subject to "can't be covering their bodies from themselves". We both know that removing of Hijab is done because there is a need for them to remove the Hijab while in the bathroom (That's if any of them was wearing it). And even if you choose to wear Hijab to your own bathroom, that's your own wahala. This is a public school with uniform and that is an unquestionable reason for you not to add anything religious to it.

If there is a need for a muslim girl to cover her hair, the school always have beret for the girls.

I believe you also know that preaching inside of a public bus has also been banned. But if the preacher feels like preaching inside of his room or in his church for 24 hours, that's his own wahala. You can't come to the public and try to force your belief on everyone and start claiming freedom of religion in the public, there is no common sense in that.

Every time the government does something right that affects the Muslims, they always see it as an attack on Islam without applying common sense which is the problem we are facing here. Preaching inside of the bus or broadcasting of miracles on TV doesn't affect anyone yet they are banned. But if one applies common sense, you will see that it is a good step forward. We have to respect everyone's belief in public and put away religion.

Lastly, we should not let religion becloud our sense of reasoning.

You wrote all that, for what? You don't know how to have a point? Sorry, you suck at debate. Start over, and address relevant points, from my post. Otherwise, you didn't need to quote me.

Here:
MissMeiya:

Re: Court Upholds Ban On Use Of Hijab In Lagos Public Schools by rufychuks: 3:30pm On Oct 19, 2014
MissMeiya:

See, let me ask you this question. Did you go to a government school in Nigeria? This issue of wearing hijab is just being introduced and made to look as if students have been wearing it since forever. I do not know a single secondary school were hijab is worn to school (except islamic schools). The scary part is that most of you clamouring for 'hijab rights' here passed through most of these government schools. What changed?
Re: Court Upholds Ban On Use Of Hijab In Lagos Public Schools by mrofficial(m): 3:39pm On Oct 19, 2014
Re: Court Upholds Ban On Use Of Hijab In Lagos Public Schools by mrofficial(m): 3:40pm On Oct 19, 2014
MissMeiya:

You wrote all that, for what? You don't know how to have a point? Sorry, you suck at debate. Start over, and address relevant points, from my post. Otherwise, you didn't need to quote me.

Here:

I will not join you in throwing tantrums. The truth hurts and I know the reason for your anger is based on your religion. It is not new to me.

Did you attend primary school? Tell me the part of the body that needs to be covered after wearing a uniform. I hope you don't come to say the hair again, because the school has beret for the girls.

If you could say that I am suck in debate because of the way I have constructively laid my point, there is no need for you to quote me again.

Re: Court Upholds Ban On Use Of Hijab In Lagos Public Schools by Nobody: 3:41pm On Oct 19, 2014
mrofficial:

I will not join you in throwing tantrums. The truth hurts and I know the reason for your anger is based on your religion. It is not new to me.

Did you attend primary school? Tell me the part of the body that needs to be covered after wearing a uniform. I hope you don't come to say the hair again, because the school has beret for the girls.

If you could say that I am suck in debate because of the way I have constructively laid my point, there is no need for you to quote me again.

You have veered tragically from your original post. When you reread your own post and remind yourself of what you were talking about, we can continue.
Re: Court Upholds Ban On Use Of Hijab In Lagos Public Schools by mrofficial(m): 3:51pm On Oct 19, 2014
MissMeiya:

You have veered tragically from your original post. When you reread your own post and remind yourself of what you were talking about, we can continue.

What to expect from a religious bigot. cheesy cheesy cheesy

Just keep reading my posts, I know it will help free your brain from the shackles of your religion.
Re: Court Upholds Ban On Use Of Hijab In Lagos Public Schools by Nobody: 3:53pm On Oct 19, 2014
mrofficial:

What to expect from a religious bigot. cheesy cheesy cheesy

Just keep reading my posts, I know it will help free your brain from the shackles of your religion.

LMFAO so you don't know what the word bigot means? I'm advocating tolerance and you are arguing against it.

*speaking slowly* That makes you the bigot. Go look up the meaning.
Re: Court Upholds Ban On Use Of Hijab In Lagos Public Schools by olaweey: 4:03pm On Oct 19, 2014
Saying wearing of Hijab will cause disunity is like saying that a yoruba man should wear the hausa mans outfit,or the igbo mans outfit so that there won't be disunity.wearing the hijab is part of the laws a muslims woman as to fulfil.muslims cannot say a catholic should not wear a rosery on his/her neck..
A principal beat a girl in hijab outside of the school,in the school nursing,college of medicine a sister in hijab was threatened with expulsion because she refuse to sing christmas carol last christmas,another sister faced the same ordeal because she wears the hijab.This are just a few people who were bold enough to narrate their ordeal.

2 Likes

Re: Court Upholds Ban On Use Of Hijab In Lagos Public Schools by mrofficial(m): 4:09pm On Oct 19, 2014

English master! Someone who came to the thread late, after going through more than 10 pages, couldn't still see the reason not to wear Hijab in public schools, and still want to tell me the meaning of bigot and twist it to favour her stupidity.

I strongly believe all schools should allow Hijab without any questions. Are you happy? I'm out! grin
Re: Court Upholds Ban On Use Of Hijab In Lagos Public Schools by willibounce1(m): 4:16pm On Oct 19, 2014
olaweey:
Saying wearing of Hijab will cause disunity is like saying that a yoruba man should wear the hausa mans outfit,or the igbo mans outfit so that there won't be disunity.wearing the hijab is part of the laws a muslims woman as to fulfil.muslims cannot say a catholic should not wear a rosery on his/her neck..
A principal beat a girl in hijab outside of the school,in the school nursing,college of medicine a sister in hijab was threatened with expulsion because she refuse to sing christmas carol last christmas,another sister faced the same ordeal because she wears the hijab.This are just a few people who were bold enough to narrate their ordeal.

What really is your point? We are discussing hijab in public secondary schools.
Re: Court Upholds Ban On Use Of Hijab In Lagos Public Schools by neyobills: 5:07pm On Oct 19, 2014
donroxy:
I'm sane .... Whatever rule that contravene the constitution is a failure ab-initio !! It is beyond the power of Lagos Public school to denied students/pupils the right to wear Hijab as instructed by their religion !!!

The constitution says Nigeria is a secular state therefore all public institutions schools inclusive should be treated as such,if ur kids must wear hijab,feel free to send them to any of the various almajiri schools up north where they will give them the kind of education you are craving for or any of the islamic private schools if u can afford any,the sanity of public schools due to the strict compliance of uniformity in all students cannot be breached because of a few overzealous religious extremists.

1 Like

Re: Court Upholds Ban On Use Of Hijab In Lagos Public Schools by Nobody: 6:12pm On Oct 19, 2014
neyobills:
The constitution says Nigeria is a secular state therefore all public institutions schools inclusive should be treated as such,if ur kids must wear hijab,feel free to send them to any of the various almajiri schools up north where they will give them the kind of education you are craving for or any of the islamic private schools if u can afford any,the sanity of public schools due to the strict compliance of uniformity in all students cannot be breached because of a few overzealous religious extremists.
Cite the section of the constitution which state the rubbish you put up above if not shut up and allow those people with the brain and knowledge of Nigeria to be doing the talking ..........

What is the difference between you and the almajiri up north if you can't use the sense almighty God endowed you with to the utmost satisfaction of a debate !!
Re: Court Upholds Ban On Use Of Hijab In Lagos Public Schools by neyobills: 7:30pm On Oct 19, 2014
donroxy:
Cite the section of the constitution which state the rubbish you put up above if not shut up and allow those people with the brain and knowledge of Nigeria to be doing the talking ..........

What is the difference between you and the almajiri up north if you can't use the sense almighty God endowed you with to the utmost satisfaction of a debate !!

Section 10 of the 1999 constitution of the federal republic of Nigeria states that the government of the federation or of a state shall not adopt any religion as state religion which in other words means Nigeria is a secular state, don't be shy to use the dictionary if the word secular happens to be your problem then u can relate the meaning of that to this topic and u would have done urself a favor of putting ur brain to good use for once in ur life.

The verdict still remains,if u have a problem with that catch the next available flight to perhaps Sudan where ur hijab cravings can be satisfied.
Re: Court Upholds Ban On Use Of Hijab In Lagos Public Schools by salykely(m): 8:12pm On Oct 19, 2014
mrofficial:

You can practice your religion even in school. The constitution did not state wearing of Hijab in public school with uniform. Do the girls wear Hijab while in the bathroom?

And what is the meaning of to manifest as used in the constitution. The constitution also made mention of public and private. Pls does hijab disturb Christians

1 Like

Re: Court Upholds Ban On Use Of Hijab In Lagos Public Schools by yinksboi(m): 8:34pm On Oct 19, 2014
#NoToHijab. There must be Uniformity and not divergent interests.
Re: Court Upholds Ban On Use Of Hijab In Lagos Public Schools by mrofficial(m): 8:42pm On Oct 19, 2014
salykely:

And what is the meaning of to manifest as used in the constitution. The constitution also made mention of public and private. Pls does hijab disturb Christians

Same goes for, does broadcasting of Miracles on TV disturb Muslims?
Re: Court Upholds Ban On Use Of Hijab In Lagos Public Schools by mrofficial(m): 8:49pm On Oct 19, 2014
yinksboi:
#NoToHijab. There must be Uniformity and not divergent interests.

They don't just get it. No matter how you try to enlighten them about it, they keep saying it doesn't disturb anybody. If you can't send your child to school because of Hijab, let her stay home. Education or Religion, choose one!
Re: Court Upholds Ban On Use Of Hijab In Lagos Public Schools by twilliamx(m): 8:56pm On Oct 19, 2014
tit:
No hijab, no vote!
simples.
we cannot come out of purdah.
Well your religion is against you going to school in the,first place so stay at home, Lagos state public school is not a religious school, an sarudeen schools are there so make the right choice, besides if such is allowed children of traditional religion followers will also have the right to bring charms and horns to school because its a part of there religion.
Re: Court Upholds Ban On Use Of Hijab In Lagos Public Schools by Babyrex(f): 10:22pm On Oct 19, 2014
BetaThings:

Taking the holy communion is dwelling in the past?
The attire of a nun is dwelling in the past?
Holding the cross is dwelling in the past?
Is speaking in tongue dwelling in the past?
Is wearing white garment dwelling in the past?

Sir, you are dwelling in intolerance and exclusion
Do they do all this in public schools
abeg u pple shld go & sleep joor
Re: Court Upholds Ban On Use Of Hijab In Lagos Public Schools by Ephemmm: 10:30pm On Oct 19, 2014
BetaThings:

Why should we not go to work on Sunday when the constitution says we are not a Christian nation

What a primitive way of thinking? Why did U just jump from Friday to Sunday if I may ask, or is there no any other day that we don't work too? Besides, this is universal as people need to rest for some days after working for five days.

Just imagine the kind of drama that will be happening, if xtians are allowed to be wearing their doctrinal attires to the schools too.

However, sango, obatala, masquerade, IFA, olosun, etc have different attires despite the fact that they are all trational religion. If they are allowed too to be wearing their different attires too, can U envisage the rate of conflicts of interests and domineering competition that would occur?

To me, this is not about religion, it is all about common sense thing.
Re: Court Upholds Ban On Use Of Hijab In Lagos Public Schools by Babyrex(f): 10:31pm On Oct 19, 2014
olaxco2f:
No hijab no vote

wat has voting fr APC gt to do wit using hijab
i find it hard to comprehend y u muslims are so narrow minded, if u like no voye, whosoever is meant to be there will gt dere mtcheww
Re: Court Upholds Ban On Use Of Hijab In Lagos Public Schools by Ephemmm: 10:37pm On Oct 19, 2014
BetaThings:

Is this judge aware that the NATIONAL CHRISTMAS TREE was paid for by government money

How come Justice Modupe Onyeabor does not feel inferior to nuns or does she?

Sir, are all rams being killed during Ileya festivity are being bought individuals without some being offered by govt if I may ask?
Re: Court Upholds Ban On Use Of Hijab In Lagos Public Schools by Babyrex(f): 10:37pm On Oct 19, 2014
Freelancer00:
So u like ur child exposing sensitive parts of her body at a young age?
Hear urself??

what sensitive parts?
her hair?
her face??
Re: Court Upholds Ban On Use Of Hijab In Lagos Public Schools by Ephemmm: 10:46pm On Oct 19, 2014
sulmeza:
Dis wont be seen as human ryts violatn by d so called activist... Cant beliv dis' dn by a muslim govno.....may Allah grant dos kids strength to ovacome dis

Thereis exception for every law made, and U are not the only individual thanking God cos we still have Muslim as our govnernor, cos the violence that might follow this might be unpredictable if our governor is a xtian.

The claims would have been that justice is manipulated by a Christian President and Christian governor. But refers is the case for all to see.
Re: Court Upholds Ban On Use Of Hijab In Lagos Public Schools by Ephemmm: 10:50pm On Oct 19, 2014
BetaThings:

Is this what you know or are told?i

Do these support your assertion?
Christians ruling for 13 out of 16 years of democracy
Christians spend as many hours as they like in church on Sundays and Saturdays (7th day Adventist); Muslims go to work on Fridays
CAN president going around with a retinue of well armed soldiers, policemen, and NSDC running citizens off the road (as reported by Prof Odinkalu of NHRC)
Government money used to put a National Christmas Tree

What about rams bought and distributed by Govt during Ileya festival sir?
Re: Court Upholds Ban On Use Of Hijab In Lagos Public Schools by Babyrex(f): 10:54pm On Oct 19, 2014
omostar:

Islam doesn't allow women to got on a LONG JOURNEY without a male relative, basically for the women's safety. Any problem with that?
Then why is it that its only during ramadan most if u abhor handshake & hugs dt u do all thru d year, saying Aram!
abeg!!
Re: Court Upholds Ban On Use Of Hijab In Lagos Public Schools by Babyrex(f): 11:06pm On Oct 19, 2014
donroxy:
I'm sane .... Whatever rule that contravene the constitution is a failure ab-initio !! It is beyond the power of Lagos Public school to denied students/pupils the right to wear Hijab as instructed by their religion !!!
The public school is owned by the state and controlled by the govt, if u aint satisfied wit his rules den go to ur muslim schools & b free to put on ur hijab. Thank God d decison cane frm a muslim
Re: Court Upholds Ban On Use Of Hijab In Lagos Public Schools by Nobody: 11:11pm On Oct 19, 2014
neyobills:
Section 10 of the 1999 constitution of the federal republic of Nigeria states that the government of the federation or of a state shall not adopt any religion as state religion

which in other words means Nigeria is a secular state, don't be shy to use the dictionary if the word secular happens to be your problem then u can relate the meaning of that to this topic and u would have done urself a favor of putting ur brain to good use for once in ur life.

The verdict still remains,if u have a problem with that catch the next available flight to perhaps Sudan where ur hijab cravings can be satisfied.
You are a foo:lish person, idio:tic and worst of all Ignorant .... That is why I asked you to allow people with the brain to do the talking cheesy .... Do you ever pass through any legal studies or proceeding in your entire life ohhhhh , you think you can just pick any section of the constitution and interprete it with dumb-thick-blackish brain of yours !!

Very dull boy .... grin

Do you know the meaning of ''Prohibition of state religion'' as enshrined in section 10 of the 1999 constitution as amended !

The principle behind the provision of section 10 stipulates that there can never be Islam/Christain states in Nigeria .... Simply, No religion own any state .......

E.g Bokoharam's Objectives:

Why do you think we are fighting Bokoharam?
Because one of their Objective is to turn NorthEast Nigeria into an ISLAMIC CALIPHATE which contravene , among many sections, section 10 of the 1999 Constitution ... ...

Bokoharam can not own any state in Nigeria for Islam !!

The spirit of Section 38 doesn't contravene the Spirit of Section 10

.... Section 38 allow for freedom to practice religion thus wearing Hijab in fulfilling the tenet of Islam is covered under section 38 of the constitution and doesn't in any way contravene section 10 and any state that barred such individual as acted ultra-vires .... Infact section 15(2) forbid anyone to be discriminated against on the ground of Religion !!

The Lagos state government doesn't have the constitutional power to barred any tenet of praticising Islam nor limit it in scope !!

It is like the state stopped them from observing salat or fasting .... Or barred someone for paying Zakat or visiting Mecca .... !!

Lagos can't stop any tenet of Islam ... After Appeal ... Supreme court will hear this one !! tongue

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (Reply)

Lady Celebrates Her Matriculation At Mother's Fish Stand, Soibi Ibibo Jack Helps / Which Nigerian University Still Teaches This Course? / Government Day Secondary School Daura Photos By Abiodun @felewire

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.