Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,326 members, 7,811,964 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:27 AM

Choosing Between Nokia android and windows Phones - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Choosing Between Nokia android and windows Phones (3955 Views)

How Good Are Windows Phones? / Nokia Android Phone Will Be Released In January 2014 / What Is The Difference Btw Windows Phones And Non-Windows Smart Phones? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Choosing Between Nokia android and windows Phones by Rexyl(m): 8:37am On Oct 20, 2014
Nokia android or Nokia windows phone. Your choice of the one that is preferable and reasons. I have used two androids simultaneously before, one gingerbread and the other jellybean. The first was stolen while the other was damaged beyond repairs by a phone repairer in an attempt to fix a minor problem.
Re: Choosing Between Nokia android and windows Phones by Rexyl(m): 1:34pm On Oct 20, 2014
Hope someone has used the two and could share from experience!
Re: Choosing Between Nokia android and windows Phones by Craven: 2:27pm On Oct 20, 2014
I do not own a Nokia Android (the Nokia X series) phone before but I have come across it and played with it. And I can tell you that it's a sorry excuse for an Android device. The Nokia X series comes with a modified version of Android, which is different from the Android OS you will find on other Android devices like Samsung and LG. Because of this, the Nokia X does not come with a Play store, but instead comes with a Nokia app market that features popular android apps. Also, because the Nokia X series phones comes with a modified version of Android, Google supported applications such as Google Search, Gmail, Google Maps, and so on, are absent. What you will find on the Nokia X series is Here Maps, Bing Search and other poor substitutes for Google applications. The Nokia X is difficult to navigate around and doesn't feel buttery to the fingers when swiping around the screen. In summary, the Nokia Android devices are not all that. They are new to the market and do not have outstanding features. Besides, Nokia no longer makes Android phones. The Nokia X series is their last. If you want to purchase an Android device, I suggest you go for Samsung or LG. Now for Nokia Windows Phone. I own a Nokia Lumia, and I can tell you it is a beautiful device. It comes with a UI design that is different from that you'll find on an Android phone. The feel when navigating around the phone is buttery, and you can almost feel like the phone is part of the room. What I enjoy most about the Lumia is aside from it's outstanding camera is the battery life. The battery varies according to the model of the phone, yes. But you have total control of the applications that run in the background. This means that you don't have to worry about losing battery power even when you're not using the phone, unlike Android devices. With the new Windows Phone 8.1 update, you have access to new features and apps such as Cortona (equivalent to iPhone Siri), customizing tiles, keyboard swipe, better camera features, and many more. The only setback the Windows Phone has is that it does not have as much apps as the Android (I'm referring to the normal android devices, not the Nokia X series). So while your friends who are Android owners are enjoying new apps, you'll be stuck with nothing if there is no Windows Phone version of the apps. But other than that, the Nokia Lumia devices are spectacular. smiley

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Choosing Between Nokia android and windows Phones by Rexyl(m): 3:08pm On Oct 20, 2014
thanks 4 d detailed info

2 Likes

Re: Choosing Between Nokia android and windows Phones by Rexyl(m): 10:25am On Oct 22, 2014
@ craven ... I read about the specs of of some nokia windows phone 8.1 but with 512mb Ram, 4gb internal memory among others and some android 4.2 with 1gb Ram, 8gb internal memory etc esp the new entrants into our markets. How can you reconcile btw the two?
Re: Choosing Between Nokia android and windows Phones by martineverest(m): 12:01pm On Oct 22, 2014
Nokia windows and nokia android arent mate.windows is far better than android os in terms of smoothness and speed.a 512mb lumia phone outperforms android of 1gb...lumia 520,530 and 630 re fones below 30k that work like fones of 50k..window fones and iphones re not spec-centric like android.am currently using a lumia 630,hopin to upgrade to 830.i could play most 1gb ram android game in my 512 ram on lumia 630......windows have almost 400k apps with most of popular apps present.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Choosing Between Nokia android and windows Phones by aieromon(m): 12:11pm On Oct 22, 2014
The Nokia Android experiment is an epic fail.
Re: Choosing Between Nokia android and windows Phones by Rexyl(m): 3:31pm On Oct 22, 2014
thanks for the clarifications... And what considering the battery?
Re: Choosing Between Nokia android and windows Phones by Craven: 4:16pm On Oct 22, 2014
Rexyl

I would need the make and model of the phones to be able to give a better answer.
Re: Choosing Between Nokia android and windows Phones by martineverest(m): 4:50pm On Oct 22, 2014
It was never a failure.it had a huge sale in nigeria,kenya,pakistan,india and russia-according to microsoft...it was used by microsoft thru nokia to get some people get used to window interface.dats y it came with windowlike interface.
aieromon:
The Nokia Android experiment is an epic fail.
Re: Choosing Between Nokia android and windows Phones by Craven: 5:27pm On Oct 22, 2014
martineverest:
It was never a failure.it had a huge sale in nigeria,kenya,pakistan,india and russia-according to microsoft...it was used by microsoft thru nokia to get some people get used to window interface.dats y it came with windowlike interface.

If the Nokia X series wasn't a failure, why was production stopped? It didn't receive a wide reception. It didn't thrive in the market. The Nokia X series wasn't a success.
Re: Choosing Between Nokia android and windows Phones by Nobody: 5:43pm On Oct 22, 2014
martineverest:
Nokia windows and nokia android arent mate.windows is far better than android os in terms of smoothness and speed.a 512mb lumia phone outperforms android of 1gb...lumia 520,530 and 630 re fones below 30k that work like fones of 50k..window fones and iphones re not spec-centric like android.am currently using a lumia 630,hopin to upgrade to 830.i could play most 1gb ram android game in my 512 ram on lumia 630......windows have almost 400k apps with most of popular apps present.
guy pls does nokia lumia 630 hv 2G network If yes how can i put it? does it hav single sim version?? And please hw much is phne now??
Re: Choosing Between Nokia android and windows Phones by Nobody: 5:47pm On Oct 22, 2014
Khalidsarki:
guy pls does nokia lumia 630 hv 2G network If yes how can i put it? does it hav single sim version?? And please hw much is phne now??
around 20 sumtin k
Re: Choosing Between Nokia android and windows Phones by martineverest(m): 5:47pm On Oct 22, 2014
It was stopped because microsoft wanted to focus on windows phone rather than increasing android os share...nokia x ll be converted to windows brand.
Craven:

If the Nokia X series wasn't a failure, why was production stopped? It didn't receive a wide reception. It didn't thrive in the market. The Nokia X series wasn't a success.
Re: Choosing Between Nokia android and windows Phones by martineverest(m): 5:50pm On Oct 22, 2014
It has 3g and 4g,comes with 2sims and its windows 8.1...26k at slot
Khalidsarki:
Re: Choosing Between Nokia android and windows Phones by Nobody: 5:52pm On Oct 22, 2014
martineverest:
It has 3g and 4g,comes with 2sims and its windows 8.1...26k at slot
if am nt mistaken u're talk about 635 nt 630. .lumia 635 has 4G
Re: Choosing Between Nokia android and windows Phones by Nobody: 5:57pm On Oct 22, 2014
Craven:

it wasnt really a failure it had more than 1 million preorders in china
Re: Choosing Between Nokia android and windows Phones by Nobody: 5:58pm On Oct 22, 2014
Rexyl:
@ craven ... I read about the specs of of some nokia windows phone 8.1 but with 512mb Ram, 4gb internal memory among others and some android 4.2 with 1gb Ram, 8gb internal memory etc esp the new entrants into our markets. How can you reconcile btw the two?
i dont knw ur budget but if u can, get a lumia 730
Re: Choosing Between Nokia android and windows Phones by Rexyl(m): 6:57pm On Oct 22, 2014
trishguy:
i dont knw ur budget but if u can, get a lumia 730
ok. The price sir. I was like several miles away from windows phones but with the information here they should be worth giving a try.
Re: Choosing Between Nokia android and windows Phones by martineverest(m): 7:55pm On Oct 22, 2014
635 and 735 come with single sim and 4g.
Khalidsarki:
if am nt mistaken u're talk about 635 nt 630. .lumia 635 has 4G
Re: Choosing Between Nokia android and windows Phones by Nobody: 9:54pm On Oct 22, 2014
martineverest:
635 and 735 come with single sim and 4g.
okay . Pls hw much for the lumia 735?
Re: Choosing Between Nokia android and windows Phones by martineverest(m): 10:15pm On Oct 22, 2014
Guess it should be 45 to 50k.
Khalidsarki:
okay . Pls hw much for the lumia 735?
Re: Choosing Between Nokia android and windows Phones by Craven: 5:08am On Oct 23, 2014
martineverest:
It was stopped because microsoft wanted to focus on windows phone rather than increasing android os share...nokia x ll be converted to windows brand.

Nokia X will be converted to Windows brand? Where did you get that from? Because it's incorrect. Nokia has halted production of the Nokia X android series. They are going to use the hardware to usher out midrange/low-end Windows Phone instead. If the sale of the Nokia X android series had skyrocketed in the global market, then I doubt they'd want to cut off a major source of profit.
Re: Choosing Between Nokia android and windows Phones by Craven: 5:13am On Oct 23, 2014
trishguy:
it wasnt really a failure it had more than 1 million preorders in china

The China market is just one market. It does not represent the world market and should not be used as a basis for judging the global success of the Nokia X series.
Re: Choosing Between Nokia android and windows Phones by Craven: 5:29am On Oct 23, 2014
Rexyl

If you're looking to purchase any phone, you should consider a few factors.

- The RAM.
- Battery life.

I'd purchase a higher RAM if I were you. Anything less than 1GB of RAM wouldn't give you the smoothest experience. However, the Windows Phone has been designed to work seamlessly, so if you're using a 512MB RAM, you would hardly notice anything. However, there is usually a slight glitch in resuming apps with 512MB RAM Windows Phones, and not too many apps can run smoothly at once. With 1GB RAM phones, none of these problems occur.

The issue of battery life is another thing. I'd get a phone with a better battery power no matter what, nothing less than 2000mAh. What use is a phone with many features if it doesn't have a great battery life?

Other things you should consider should be Camera quality, network connectivity, dual SIM, and so on. For me, I'd pick a phone with an outstanding camera, I love taking pictures. I'm not concerned with LTE and dual SIM, I'll tell you why. LTE might be fast ('might' because the service providers in Nigeria offer poor services), but at the end of the day, it succeeds in making your phone hot and draining your battery. And dual SIM is also unnecessary to me. Battery burner is what I call it. Because you've got two SIMs working at the same time, which will definitely drain battery power.

But people have different wants in a phone, so I suggest you go for whichever makes you happy and, most importantly, fits your budget.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Choosing Between Nokia android and windows Phones by martineverest(m): 8:07am On Oct 23, 2014
After purchasing nokia in may,Microsoft launched x2 in june.it wasnt nokia dat launched it...in july microsoft chose to stop asha and x series as fans complained it push for android device rather dan windows..though,ms still produce symbian fones..asha and x phones will now be using windows os
Craven:

Nokia X will be converted to Windows brand? Where did you get that from? Because it's incorrect. Nokia has halted production of the Nokia X android series. They are going to use the hardware to usher out midrange/low-end Windows Phone instead. If the sale of the Nokia X android series had skyrocketed in the global market, then I doubt they'd want to cut off a major source of profit.
Re: Choosing Between Nokia android and windows Phones by Nobody: 9:46pm On Oct 23, 2014
martineverest:
Guess it should be 45 to 50k.
tnx
Re: Choosing Between Nokia android and windows Phones by martineverest(m): 10:38pm On Oct 23, 2014
Lumia 730 is 44k at computer village.just got one for my sis today.d front camera is awesome.d feel is great.
Khalidsarki:
tnx
Re: Choosing Between Nokia android and windows Phones by Nobody: 7:06am On Oct 24, 2014
martineverest:
Lumia 730 is 44k at computer village.just got one for my sis today.d front camera is awesome.d feel is great.
wow dat's kul. . . Buh i lyk android mre than windows bcoz of apps, android gat alot of apps than windows. My budget is 35k, I guez xperia L is gwud
Re: Choosing Between Nokia android and windows Phones by martineverest(m): 8:47am On Oct 24, 2014
Apps is no longer a problem with windows phone.dey ve got loads of apps in last three months.about 400k apps in their store.all major apps found in android are nnow in windows
Khalidsarki:
wow dat's kul. . . Buh i lyk android mre than windows bcoz of apps, android gat alot of apps than windows. My budget is 35k, I guez xperia L is gwud
Re: Choosing Between Nokia android and windows Phones by Nobody: 8:53am On Oct 24, 2014
martineverest:
Apps is no longer a problem with windows phone.dey ve got loads of apps in last three months.about 400k apps in their store.all major apps found in android are nnow in windows
hmm seriouz?, buh android gat mre movie games. . .i dnt tink windows gat pes, fifa and gangster . .i lov games alot

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Shocking Experience I Had Today. / How To Fix Your Tecno Droipad 10d Second Sim With Memory Card / Make Free Calls With Ur Glo Line

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.