Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,205 members, 7,953,762 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 04:38 AM

Messi vs ronaldo: International sportnews - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Messi vs ronaldo: International sportnews (7585 Views)

The Records Of Messi Vs Ronaldo / Messi Vs Ronaldo In 2013 " Stats Dont Lie" / Pele Vs Maradona Vs Zidane Vs Ronaldo Luis Vs Ronaldinho Vs Messi Vs CR7 Vs J.j (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Messi vs ronaldo: International sportnews by Elxandre(m): 11:38am On Oct 22, 2014
ClintonNzedimma:

neymar?, inferior to cr7?...guy we dont know for now sha...someone that is averaging one goal a match for barca currently.

Back to the matter.

Messi was not just at the top of his game at the world cup but he didnt struggle.

Prior to the knock out stage, his father came and said he was suffering fatigue.
He was blazing hot in the group stage.
Why?
Because Iran and Bosnia were just parking the bus, only my dear Nigeria came out and played them like Men and u saw what Messi did.
He would have scored 4 goals if not for his 60 minutes subtitution because of fatigue.
To cut the long story short...Messi was just and average world best after group stage.
4 goals, 1 assist wasnt a joke.
The fact is cr7 isn't in the same class as neymar. At least not yet.
You are comparing a player who averages two goals per game to neymar?
Messi scored 0 goals in the knockout rounds.
But the main point here is that he lost too many balls attempting dribbles.
Re: Messi vs ronaldo: International sportnews by ClintonNzedimma(m): 11:50am On Oct 22, 2014
Elxandre:

The fact is cr7 isn't in the same class as neymar. At least not yet.
You are comparing a player who averages two goals per game to neymar?
Messi scored 0 goals in the knockout rounds.
But the main point here is that he lost too many balls attempting dribbles.
I get you but the difference between cr7 and neymar is not much at the moment.
Re: Messi vs ronaldo: International sportnews by Rexnegro(m): 2:48pm On Oct 22, 2014
I won't say who's better more than the picture below.

1 Like

Re: Messi vs ronaldo: International sportnews by Shollay20(m): 10:35pm On Oct 22, 2014
Cr7 is the best...........
Re: Messi vs ronaldo: International sportnews by Shollay20(m): 8:24am On Oct 24, 2014
My lover see, someone mail me this moring, on realmadrid vs barca prediction match and chelsea vs man utd prediction match.....................
My fellower please make your predicte here:......
As for me am backing madrid to win by 3 to 2
And chelsea v man utd 2-2 draw....
What is your view let here from you.........
Re: Messi vs ronaldo: International sportnews by mrbillz(m): 1:31pm On Oct 24, 2014
Keep o hating Suarez at ur own peril. Shouldn't we be more worried about the El classico? Let's forget the fact that he had bitten someone. He's the 3rd after Messi and Ronaldo
Re: Messi vs ronaldo: International sportnews by Shollay20(m): 8:18pm On Oct 24, 2014
mrbillz:
Keep o hating Suarez at ur own peril. Shouldn't we be more worried about the El classico? Let's forget the fact that he had bitten someone. He's the 3rd after Messi and Ronaldo

Is not the third person my brother, what of di maria and hazard??
Re: Messi vs ronaldo: International sportnews by Shollay20(m): 8:49am On Oct 25, 2014
United manager says rival’s mind games have no effect and that he expects Costa to be fit for Sunday’s game
Louis van Gaal has claimed his “iron shield” will protect him from Jose Mourinho’s psychological warfare as he prepares to expose his Manchester Unitedteam to the acid test of their progress against Chelsea.
Three months into his reign as United manager, Van Gaal’s stuttering start shows no sign of denting his self-confidence ahead of Sunday’s encounter with Mourinho, whose coaching career blossomed under Van Gaal’s tutelage at Barcelona more than a decade ago.
Read more news here
http://sholaqozeem..com/
Re: Messi vs ronaldo: International sportnews by Shollay20(m): 6:43am On Oct 26, 2014
Up realmadrid up ronaldo up benzema up pepe.......
Re: Messi vs ronaldo: International sportnews by Shollay20(m): 3:03am On Nov 01, 2014
Re: Messi vs ronaldo: International sportnews by Shollay20(m): 8:07am On Nov 06, 2014
a lot of people are enjoying free mb on mtn

http://sholaqozeem..com/2014/11/review-free-mtn-100mb.html
Re: Messi vs ronaldo: International sportnews by Shollay20(m): 11:13pm On Nov 28, 2014
Arsenal news: Thierry Henry's return as coach edges nearer to 'help Arsenal win the Champions League'

Thierry Henry's return to Arsenal in a non-playing role edges nearer as he says he wants to achieve with them what he could not do as a player the possibility of Thierry Henry joining Arsenalin an off-field role has moved another step closer after the French legend revealed that he still dreams of helping his former club win the Champions League.
Henry's extraordinary playing career may come to an end on Saturday night when his New York Red Bulls team try to overturn a 2-1 first-leg deficit in the Eastern Conference final against New England Revolution. The 37-year-old is out of contract at New York and, although he says that "nothing has been decided" about the future, he is clearing giving serious consideration to his life after playing.
And, after Arsène Wenger last week opened the doorto the possibility of Henry returning at Arsenal, his former protégé has made it clear that he would love to help his old club. "Nothing is clear," Henry told L'Equipe. "I have not taken any decision and speculation is not my thing. One thing is certain: I will stay in football, as a coach, a consultant or executive. We will see.
"The second certainty is that I would love to see Arsenal win the Champions League. Whether that is from near or far does not depend on me but it is sure I'd like to help. This is my club and, as a player, I was not able to give them the Champions League."
Wenger said only last week that Henry has "all the qualities" to become a coach or manager but warned that it would be vital for him to first learn his trade and take on a meaningful job at a club. It's not impossible I welcome people who have played for us to come back, but they need to do something,
Wenger said. Not an honorary job. It has to be a job available and one that you get up in the morning and you have to do something.
<p>He has to learn his job first. I have seen so many people who have the qualities to be a manager but not survive their first job because they are not ready. When you are a football player, you think it's so simple to be a manager. When you are a manager, you think it's so complicated suddenly and, if you're not prepared for that, you cannot survive.
<p>For that reason, Wenger says that it is better for an emerging coach to be given responsibility for a team, as now at Real Madrid, where Zinedine Zidane coaches the B side. You learn to handle a dressing room and people, said Wenger. This job is about ideas and putting them into practice. You can only do that if you have the responsibility of the team.
Wenger has repeatedly spoken of how Henry was such a student of football as well as a great player and he is still hoping to win further silverware on the field. Should New York upset the odds and overturn their deficit against New England on the Astroturf surface that Henry has previously avoided amid concerns about his Achilles, they would reach the Major Soccer League final.
He has had another good season personally, scoring 10 goals and creating a further 18. As a player, Henry also helped Arsenal to win five major trophies http://sholaqozeem..in/2014/11/arsenal-news-thierry-henrys-return-as.html
Re: Messi vs ronaldo: International sportnews by Shollay20(m): 11:28pm On Nov 29, 2014
Malaga 1-2 Real Madrid: Benzema & Bale earn Blancos record-breaking 16th consecutive win
Malaga 1-2 Real Madrid: Benzema & Bale earn Blancos record-breaking 16th consecutive win
Cristiano Ronaldo made both goals at the Rosaleda, setting the France forward up for a tap-in before putting the Welshman clean through on goal late on with a flick-on
Nov 29, 2014 21:47:00
Karim Benzema and Gareth Bale got the goals as Real Madridmade it a club-record 16 wins in a row by defeating Malaga2-1 on Saturday night.
Coach Carlo Ancelotti had found his future called into question after Los Blancos lost consecutive Liga games to Real Sociedad and Atletico Madrid in September.
But the European champions have been irresistible since then, winning every game they have played in all competitions and netting an incredible 59 goals in the process.
Karim Benzema opened the scoring early on at La Rosaleda after fine work by Cristiano Ronaldo, before Gareth Bale grabbed the crucial second late on with an excellent finish after latching on to Ronaldo's flicked header.
Former Malaga playmaker Isco was then harshly sent off for a second booking, before Roque Santa Cruz ensured Real would face a nervy last minute or so when he nodded home in stoppage time.
However, Ancelotti's side held on for a deserved three points that ensures they will end the weekend top of La Liga.
The two sides contested a lively opening to the game, with both goalkeepers forced into important saves inside the first quarter of an hour.
Ronaldo was the first to go close in the 12th minute as the Portuguese star fired straight at the outstanding Carlos Kameni from nine yards after a clever pass from Bale.
Malaga caught Madrid on the counter almost immediately after that chance, and their move ended with Iker Casillas tipping a Santa Cruz header on to the roof of the net.
The open nature of the match suited Real, though, and they eventually went ahead in the 18th minute, as Ronaldo exploded past Roberto Rosales down the left and saw his cross instinctively steered in byBenzema.
The shaky Casillas almost handed Malaga an equaliser shortly after, but the Madrid captain's blushes were spared by the post after he spilled Sergi Darder's long-range effort.
Bale should have doubled Real's lead in the 40th minute as he raced on to a Ronaldo throughball, but he could only shoot straight at the onrushing Kameni.
And the frailty of the visitors' advantage was highlighted shortly before the break as Duda struck the crossbar with an audacious 35-yard free-kick.
Real looked threatening again at the start of the second half, and Ronaldo almost doubled their advantage in spectacular style in the 54th minute, narrowly missing the target with an acrobatic scissor-kick.
The Ballon d'Or holder - who has scored 20 Liga goals this read more http://sholaqozeem..in/2014/11/malaga-1-2-real-madrid-benzema-bale.html
Re: Messi vs ronaldo: International sportnews by Shollay20(m): 9:33am On Dec 09, 2014
Muller: Hard to pick a Ballon d'Or winner
The Germany and Bayern attacker hopes his compatriot wins the award but admits Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo also had "outstanding" years
By Enis Koylu
Dec 8, 2014 19:23:00
Bayern Munichstar Thomas Muller believes it would be tough to pick between his team-mate Manuel Neuer, Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi for the Ballon d'Or.
The Germany goalkeeper has made the shortlist of three alongside the Real Madrid and Barcelona attackers, who have won the last six editions of the award between them.
Muller feels that each of the trio would be worthy winners of the prestigious prize in January and has hailed his club and international colleague's exploits over the course of the year.
"It's difficult to say who deserves it the most," he said at a press conference.
"Manuel became a World Cup winner and had an outstanding year. Ronaldo also had an outstanding year - and Messi too.
"They are unbelievable individuals but I hope Manu wins the trophy."
Muller went on to say that Neuer is a key component in his side's defensive unit, which has shipped just three goals in 14 Bundesliga games this term.
"The coach and the defensive players have invested a lot of time in tactics. The discipline and the class are part of it obviously. And we have the upcoming Ballon d'Or winner in goal who does his bit!"
Bayern midfielder Sebastian Rode also claimed that Neuer is capable of winning the award ahead of Messi and Ronaldo.
"Manuel Neuer can absolutely win the Ballon d'Or. People say he won't because no goalkeeper has won it but that's not my opinion."
Re: Messi vs ronaldo: International sportnews by Shollay20(m): 9:34am On Dec 09, 2014
Messi and Ronaldo would be worse in Italy - Llorente
The Juventus striker believes the Barcelona and Real Madrid stars might find life more difficult against the defences of Serie A
By Miles Chambers
Dec 9, 2014 08:52:00
Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo would be worse forwards if they played their football in Serie A, according to Fernando Llorente.
Barcelona's Messi became the top La Liga goalscorer of all time last month, while Real Madrid have reaped the rewards of Ronaldo scoring 31 times in 21 matches for them in 2014-15.
But Llorente - who left Athletic Club for Scudetto holders Juventus in 2013 - believes that the high-scoring attackers would struggle if they swapped life in Spain for a career in Italian football due to the defensive focus that many teams have.
"Messi and Ronaldo are players from another planet," the 29-year-old striker toldCope. "But I'd like to see them in Italy.
"The defences are very tight here, with many players put behind the ball, so it would be more difficult for them to score goals."
Llorente will be hoping to help fire Juve into the last 16 of the Champions League on Tuesday with a win or a draw at home to Spanish champions Atletico Madrid (who have already qualified for the kncokout stages), but defeat would see them eliminated should Olympiakos beat Malmo.
"Reaching the knockout stages is fundamental to us," he added. "It is true that we can reach them if we draw, but we are in Turin and we want to play a great game.
"We know it will not be easy - Atletico Madrid are at a very high level. They have something similar in their style of play to how Italian football is. They defend very well and are great on the counterattack.
"We don't care about the risk of finishing second. If you want to win the Champions League, you have to beat anyone you're put up against. We know that anyone we might draw in the next round would be difficult but, if we get past the group stage, let's see how far we can reach."
Re: Messi vs ronaldo: International sportnews by Shollay20(m): 9:29am On Dec 10, 2014
Gerrard: Liverpool deserve to be out
The former England skipper netted a late equaliser for the Reds but it wasn't enough as they crashed out of the Champions League against Basel

By Gill Clark
Dec 9, 2014 23:30:00
Liverpoolcaptain Steven Gerrard says his side deserve to be out of the Champions League after they exited the tournament with a 1-1 draw against Baselin their final group fixture.
The draw left the Reds in third position in Group B with just five points as Real Madrid finished as group winners and Basel also qualifying in second place.
Gerrard equalised for Liverpool with a late free kick at Anfield, after the Reds had been reduced to 10 men following Lazar Markovic's dismissal, but says his side can have no complaints about their fate.
"No [Liverpool don't deserve to go through]. We haven't gone out of the competition because of our performance tonight," he toldITV Sport.
"We've gone out because away at Basel we weren't good enough. In our last game we conceded a stupid goal towards injury-time. You always qualify over the six games and unfortunately we haven't been good enough.
"We'll have to see [if January buys can turn things around]. What's crucial is getting our main striker back who is capable of getting us the goals to get us in the top four.
"We need to try and get Mario Balotelli back firing again as well. At the moment it's a bit of a rollercoaster, it's tough. This club always tries to strengthen, always tries to improve and we dust ourselves down and go again."
The Reds' task was made more difficult by Markovic's sent off after the former Benfica winger aimed a swipe at Behrang Safari in the second half.
Replays suggested there was no contact between the two players, and though Gerrard's admits he did not see the incident clearly, he believes the decision had a detrimental effect to his side.
"It [the red card] doesn't help of course. We knew if we were still in the game with 20 minutes to go if we could get that goal it would've been hell for Basel.
"Unfortunately we didn't have enough energy in the last 15 minutes because the referee sent him off. I haven't see the incident but I'm told it was very harsh."
Re: Messi vs ronaldo: International sportnews by Shollay20(m): 4:51pm On Dec 12, 2014
Wenger: Arsenal won't buy in January if everyone is fit
Though he acknowledges that Laurent Koscielny's injury could change things, the Gunners boss would rather not add to his side over the winter window if not necessary
By George Ankers
Dec 12, 2014 13:52:00
Arsenalmanager Arsene Wenger says that there would be no need for him to spend in January if his squad are fit.
After failing to sign a replacement for Barcelona-bound Thomas Vermaelen this summer, the Gunners have struggled to deal with Laurent Koscielny’s injury issues, prompting calls from fans for investment over the winter.
Calum Chambers and Nacho Monreal have both spent time filling in at centre-back but the pair will miss Saturday’s game against Newcastle, as well as the Frenchman, while fitness problems continue to plague the team as a whole.
"If everybody's fit, we don't need to go into the transfer market," Wenger told reporters on Friday of his plans for the window, which opens on January 1.
However, the veteran manager indicated that he might have to change his mind if Koscielny’s injury is discovered to be serious.
Mathieu Debuchy – himself only just returning from a long spell on the treatment table – could be pressed into action as a makeshift cente-back against the club from whom he joined Arsenal this summer.
http://sholaqozeem..com
Re: Messi vs ronaldo: International sportnews by Shollay20(m): 9:13am On Dec 14, 2014
Let get started.....As for me i see red devil put more damage to liverpool wonded bone by scoring man utd 2 -1 liverpool...........

Drop you prediction and win 100 card............prediction close by 2pm....you will see 100 alert on your number.............its not joke.....
Re: Messi vs ronaldo: International sportnews by Antell95(m): 1:10pm On Dec 14, 2014
Shollay20:
Let get started.....As for me i see red devil put more damage to liverpool wonded bone by scoring man utd 2 -1 liverpool...........

Drop you prediction and win 100 card............prediction close by 2pm....you will see 100 alert on your number.............its not joke.....
liv.0 Man utd.1
Re: Messi vs ronaldo: International sportnews by Elxandre(m): 1:56pm On Dec 14, 2014
Man united 2- 0 Liverpool
Re: Messi vs ronaldo: International sportnews by Shollay20(m): 10:39pm On Dec 14, 2014
Luis Enrique unconcerned by Real's lead

Barcelonacoach Luis Enrique insisted he is not worried about being four points behind Real Madrid in La Liga after drawing 0-0 at Getafe.
The Catalan giants headed to Coliseum Alfonso Perez hoping to shorten Real's lead at the top to two points after the first-place side beat Almeria 4-1 on Friday, but they ultimately left the capital disappointed.
Lionel Messi saw a couple of chances go begging, with goalkeeper Vicente Guaita and the crossbar denying the Argentinean. Barca piled the pressure on toward the end, but Getafe held firm at the back, with on-loan Atletico Madrid man Emiliano Velazquez and his partner Naldo impressing.
But Luis Enrique is not concerned about his men slipping further behind Real in the title race, reminding critics that there is still over half of the campaign remaining.
"There is a lot of the championship to play," he told reporters. "We have been first with four points more than the [team in] second and now we are four points behind. Obviously, we would like to be on the top but La Liga is like this. We have to accept that, try to improve and make self-criticism. So, we have to analyze what we can improve but we already knew this was a difficult game. We did our best against a tough rival."
Despite dropping points, Luis Enrique was content with his team's display at Getafe, claiming the performance would have attracted praise had the finishing been better.
He added: "I think we were much better than them [Getafe]. Despite how difficult it is to play against Getafe, we had a lot of chances. You can make any interpretations about the game, but if we had scored any of our chances, we would be talking about a good Barca performance."
Re: Messi vs ronaldo: International sportnews by Shollay20(m): 10:42pm On Dec 14, 2014
Swansea 1 vs 2 Tottenham

Harry Kane headed Spurs into an early lead at the Liberty Stadium, before Swansea responded strongly throughout the remainder of the first half.
Wilfried Bony had three opportunities to equalise before he did find a leveller three minutes into the second half with a close-range finish.
Swansea dominated for long periods after Bony's strike but failed to convert their chances, and they fell to a second home defeat of the season when Christian Eriksen struck an 89th-minute winner from the edge of the area.
"It was a difficult start, we gave away a cheap goal. It was an individual mistake that gave them the lead," Monk told Sky Sports.
"We got back into the game and started to create. It looked like there was only going to be one team to win the game, then it's a classic sucker punch.
"Again, it's an individual mistake and we end up losing the match.
"We have to be clinical. We were creating numerous chances and were on the front foot for the entire second half.
"We should have cleared our lines [for the second goal] and we got punished heavily and we didn't really deserve that.
"In terms of what we've been working on it was disappointing not to take those chances."
Re: Messi vs ronaldo: International sportnews by Shollay20(m): 12:31am On Dec 15, 2014
Victor Moses to return in New Year

SUPER Eagles forward Victor Moses, could make a return to action for Stoke City in about three weeks.
Victor Moses
According to the Stoke Sentinel, the Potters manager, Mark Hughes, expressed optimism that the winger looks set to make a return before or after the New Year since he turned up at the club’s 1-1 draw at Crystal Palace on Saturday.
Hughes is encouraged by the 24-year-old’s recovery from the thigh injury that has sidelined him since late last month.
Moses had been projected to be out for at least six to eight weeks, but Hughes now appears optimistic that the former Wigan Athletic could even return before the New Year.
“It was good to see him. The (medical) lads had a quick look at him and were happy with how he is.
“Hopefully, we will get him back before the New Year. Or if not, soon after. It’s probably another three weeks before he comes back,” said Hughes.
Re: Messi vs ronaldo: International sportnews by Shollay20(m): 4:49pm On Dec 21, 2014
Neymar: Barcelona can beat Real Madrid to Champions League
===================================

Barcelona forward Neymaris dreaming of a Champions League title and believes his side can beat rivals Real Madridto the crown.
Madrid are on a run of 21 consecutive victories ahead of Saturday’s Club World Cup final with Argentinian side San Lorenzo and marched to the their 10th Champions League title last season.
But despite admitting that Carlo Ancelotti’s side have some of the best players in the world, the Brazil captain is confident his Barca side have what it takes to become European champions in Berlin next year.
"Winning the Champions League is a dream I have had since I was a child. And of course, imagine what it must be like to win it with Barca," he toldSport.
"Real Madrid are a great team with great players, the best in the world, and as a team are doing very well.
But I believe in my teammates, I have great faith in this team, I think we can do more and I'm sure we'll come out on top.
The 22-year-old went on to say that he still believes Lionel Messi

Raed more:http://sholaqozeem..in/2014/12/neymar-barcelona-can-beat-real-madrid.html
Re: Messi vs ronaldo: International sportnews by Shollay20(m): 10:48am On Dec 26, 2014
Ahead of the announcement of the FIFPro XI at the Ballon d'Or ceremony in Zurich, we are putting together our own team of the year based on your votes
Dec 26, 2014 10:00:00
The FIFA FIFPro World XI for 2014 will be announced at the Ballon d’Or ceremony in Zurich on January 12.
To get into the spirit of awards season, Goal is putting together its own team of the year based on your votes.
We will run four polls this week asking you to select your best goalkeeper, defender, midfielder and attacker of 2014.
Based on the results, we will reveal our best XI on Monday December 29. Here are our nominations for attacker of the year.
Gareth Bale,Karim BenzemaandCristiano Ronaldo– Real Madrid’s BBC attack – all played huge roles as their side won the Champions League and Club World Cup in 2014.
Thomas MullerandArjen Robbenwon the Bundesliga with Bayern Munich as well as impressing at the World Cup, with the German winning the tournament and the Dutchman one of the event’s standout individual performers.
Robert Lewandowskihas taken his goals from Borussia Dortmund to Bayern, replacingMario Mandzukicwho left Pep Guardiola’s side to join Atletico Madrid.
Zlatan Ibrahimovicstarred again for Paris Saint-Germain in 2014, adding another league title to his growing collection.
Lionel MessiandNeymarfailed to win a major trophy at Barcelona but thrived at the World Cup with stunning displays for Argentina and Brazil, respectively.Luis Suarezenjoyed a brilliant year at Liverpool before sealing a summer move to Camp Nou to form a star-studded South American front-three.
Atletico Madrid’s success in 2014 was largely down to a fantastic team unit, but if there was one standout player thenDiego Costais that man. After helping them to a Liga title and the Champions League final, he moved to Chelsea and made a superb start to Premier League life.
Alexis Sanchezhas moved from Barcelona to Arsenal and is thriving with the responsibility of being the Gunners’ main man.Carlos Tevezwon the Serie A title during his first year with Juventus and is currently top-scorer in his second season.
Sergio Aguero, when fit, has been one of Europe’s most prolific attackers in 2014 andRaheem Sterlingenjoyed a great year with Liverpool as they finished runners-up to the Argentine’s Manchester City side.
Shakhtar Donetsk’sLuiz Adrianotops the Champions League goalscoring charts for 2014-15 with nine goals in the group stages, whileGraziano Pellehas been able to find the net with regularity for Feyenoord and Southampton this year.
Asamoah Gyanenjoyed a fine World Cup with Ghana and continues to score goals for fun in Qatar, whileRobbie Keanewas voted MLS’ MVP for his performances with LA Galaxy.
Read more of this on: http://sholaqozeem..in/2014/12/who-was-best-attacker-of-2014.html
Re: Messi vs ronaldo: International sportnews by Shollay20(m): 10:51pm On Dec 27, 2014
Tottenham v Manchester United: Premier League preview

Manchester United head into the New Year off the back of six wins in all competitions, their best run since David Moyes had taken the reins.
They were defeated that day, with Moyes complaining about a penalty decision not given. "It's a stonewall penalty kick," he said. We didn't play badly. We deserved to win, if not win at worst draw."
The spot-kick gripe was reasonable, but United got what they deserved that day for a turgid performance against Tim Sherwood's side that saw them 2-0 down before - too late - pulling a goal back.
One week and two losses later, United had crashed out of the FA Cup third round and lost the first leg of their league cup semi-final. The Reds went off the rails.
It would be a fitting way to mark the resurgence under Louis van Gaal if United were to end 2014 by beating the team that fast-tracked the demise of Moyes.
Three points away at White Hart Lane should not come easily but a victory would further enhance United's top-four credentials and see them third going into 2015.
After a confident 3-1 win over Newcastle on Boxing Day extended their run to 22 points from the last 24, the Reds will be confident going into the game.
Captain Wayne Rooney could start in midfield again, with Van Gaal full of praise for the England man after the Newcastle game.
"When he scores two goals and also give the assist for the third goal then you are very happy as a manager," he said.
"He is also very happy I assume. He has the lung capacity to run for 90 minutes as a midfielder. That's why I use him like a midfielder.
"But I can also use him as a striker. But at the this moment it's better for the team when he plays in midfield."
Midfielder Angel di Maria is a big doubt for Manchester United's game against Tottenham on Sunday because of a pelvis injury he suffered in training on Christmas Eve.
Belgian duo Marouane Fellaini and Adnan Januzaj are out through illness, but left-back Luke Shaw took part in a post-match training session on Boxing Day and could feature for the first time since November 22, when he injured his ankle against Arsenal.
Utility man Daley Blind (knee) and defender Marcos Rojo (thigh) are out and midfielder Ander Herrera (muscle injury) is unlikely to feature.
Hugo Lloris is fit to start for Tottenham against Manchester United despite being left bloodied in their win over Leicester.
The keeper was caught in the face by Jamie Vardy at the end of the 2-1 Boxing Day win at the Foxes but is available to face United.
Ryan Mason could return to the starting line-up after being a second-half substitute at Leicester following an ankle injury.
The 2-1 win on Boxing Day was their fourth straight league win by that scoreline, and in the last three of those they have opened and ended the scoring.
After a tough start to life at White Hart Lane for Mauricio Pochettino, the team is beginning to hit form and they sit just two points off the top four going into the game.
VIEW GALLERY
Tottenham Hotspur (from): Lloris, Vorm, Friedel, Walker, Naughton, Dier, Rose, Davies, Fazio, Kaboul, Vertonghen, Chiriches, Stambouli, Dembele, Paulinho, Mason, Capoue, Bentaleb, Lamela, Eriksen, Chadli, Lennon, Townsend, Soldado, Kane, Adebayor.
Manchester United (from): De Gea, Lindegaard, Amos, Vermijl, Blackett, Shaw, Thorpe, Smalling, Evans, Jones, McNair, Rafael, Pereira, Fletcher, Herrera, Valencia, Lingard, Anderson, Carrick, Young, Di Maria, Mata, Falcao, Rooney, Van Persie, W Keane.
Spurs league form: LWWWW
United league form: WWWDW
Key opponent: Harry Kane - the English striker is full of confidence and scoring goals.
Score prediction: 1-2 - United put in an excellent performance and Boxing Day and will want to end the year on a high.
Key facts
*.After going 22 Premier League games without a win against Man Utd, Spurs have won two of the last four (W2 D2 L0).
*.Wayne Rooney has scored nine goals in 13 Barclays Premier League appearances for Manchester United against Tottenham.
*.Six of Rooney's nine goals against Spurs have been netted at White Hart Lane.
*.Spurs have won none of their last 13 Premier League games against the Red Devils at White Hart Lane (W0 D5 L8).
*.The first game of this 13 match run without a win saw Spurs leading 3-0 at half-time before a United comeback resulted in a 3-5 final score (September 2001).
*.Tottenham have scored just seven goals in their last eight Premier League games at White Hart Lane.
*.Manchester United have kept just one clean sheet in their last 10 Premier League away games.
*.The Red Devils have won just two of their last 10 on the road in the top flight (W2 D5 L3), but are unbeaten in their last three (W2 D1).
*.United have lost just one of their last 18 Premier League away games in London (W11 D6 L1).
*.Six of the last eight Premier League away goals Wayne Rooney has scored have been netted in London.
The source: http://sholaqozeem..in/2014/12/tottenham-v-manchester-united-premier.html
Re: Messi vs ronaldo: International sportnews by Shollay20(m): 8:30am On Dec 30, 2014
Title: Martino: I taught Messi nothing at Barcelona
>>>>>>>>
Argentina boss Gerardo Martino has admitted that he taught Lionel Messi absolutely nothing during his season in charge at Barcelona.
The coach took charge at Camp Nou for the 2013-14 season, but failed to win a major trophy after Atletico Madrid secured La Liga glory at the Blaugrana's expense on the final day of the campaign.
Martino has previously acknowledged he made major mistakes during his time at the helm, but has now gone further by admitting to Argentine newspaperClarinthat he contributed very little to the progression of a star-studded Barca squad.
When asked what he had been able to teach his international captain Messi during their time together at Barcelona, Martino said: "Nothing. Nothing at all. Not to him or to Barca.
"I didn't make any mark on Barcelona, it was a blip in my career in terms of what I did as a coach.
"It would be logical to use the term failure. I went to a team that always won and didn't win anything while I was there. The Supercopa is next to nothing for Barcelona.
"All I learned in Barcelona was about being surrounded by stars, by the best in the world. I made some monumental mistakes with Barcelona. What were they? I will tell you in another life."
The 52-year-old said he was simply being honest about his lack of success during his stint under the spotlight in Catalunya.
He continued: "I am just telling you what I feel. If you want me to lie, I will say it was a great time."
Martino, who replaced Alejandro Sabella as national team coach after Argentina lost the World Cup final to Germany, has won three and lost two of his first five matches in charge.
Source>>http://sholaqozeem..in/2014/12/martino-i-taught-messi-nothing-at.html
Re: Messi vs ronaldo: International sportnews by Shollay20(m): 1:55am On Jan 01, 2015
Man City extend Lampard deal until end of season
=======================================
The 36-year-old was set to go to New York for the start of the club's debut MLS season in March, but the Premier League champions have succeeded in delaying it
By Liam Twomey
Dec 31, 2014 22:34:00
Manchester Cityhave confirmed they have extended Frank Lampard's deal until the end of the season
Read more:http://sholaqozeem..in/2014/12/sportnews-man-city-extend-lampard-deal.html
Re: Messi vs ronaldo: International sportnews by Shollay20(m): 2:41am On Oct 06, 2015
Liverpool contact Jurgen Klopp to replace
Brendan Rodgers - sources

Jurgen Klopp has been sounded out by Liverpool as they seek a manager to replace Brendan Rodgers, sources have told ESPN FC.
Klopp, who is out of work after leaving Borussia Dortmund in May to take a break from football, is the Reds' first choice for the job, sources said.
Rodgers was sacked on Sunday, with Liverpool lying 10th in the Premier League after a 1-1 draw with neighbours Everton at Goodison Park.
Liverpool want to hold proper discussions with Klopp before the end of this week, with a view to having him appointed in time for their next match, away to Tottenham on Oct. 17.
Ian Ayre, the Reds' chief executive, is working closely with American owners Fenway Sports Group to get a top-class manager in place quickly.
Klopp, 47, took over a mid-table Dortmund side in 2008 and led them to two Bundesliga titles and a Champions League final during his seven years with the club.
Former Chelsea manager Carlo Ancelotti has not been ruled out of the running, but sources have told ESPN FC that he is unlikely to end his planned year-long sabbatical to move to Anfield.
Ancelotti, sacked by Real Madrid at the end of last season, has taken time off to recover from a back operation he underwent during the summer.
Rodgers, who spent three years and four months as Liverpool's manager, has flown to Spain for a short holiday following his sacking.
He will consider his options when he returns, but he's reportedly keen to take on another role following his break, either in the Premier League or abroad..http://laugh247ng..in/2015/10/liverpool-contact-jurgen-klopp-to.html
Re: Messi vs ronaldo: International sportnews by Shollay20(m): 8:51pm On Oct 06, 2015
Jose Mourinho couldn't be swayed by Alex Ferguson to take Man United job

Jose Mourinho has said even Sir Alex Ferguson could not tempt him to take the Manchester United job in 2013 because he was determined to return to Chelsea.
Ferguson stepped down as United manager just over two years ago, bringing to an end 26 years in charge at Old Trafford.
The Scot was ultimately replaced by former Everton boss David Moyes, who did not last a full season at the helm following poor form.
In the same summer as Moyes' appointment, Mourinho returned to Chelsea having been linked with the position at their Premier League rivals.
It was claimed in a book published later that year that Mourinho cried when he heard that Moyes was to replace Ferguson.
However, Mourinho was quoted by the Guardian as saying in an interview for a new BBC documentary, "Sir Alex Ferguson: Secrets of Success," that his heart was set on returning to Stamford Bridge.
On whether Ferguson could have tempted him, Mourinho said: "Every manager in the world looks at Man United as a huge club but I wanted to come to Chelsea and we didn't bring that to the table because we were so open and he knows so much about myself.
"He knew that for almost a season I want to leave Real Madrid and I want to come to Chelsea."
Ferguson also dismissed suggestions it was his decision alone to select Moyes as his successor, while he said Ryan Giggs would have been his successor at United had he retired earlier.
He said: "When I announced my retirement, do you honestly believe that one man could decide the future of Manchester United?
"That's absolute nonsense. There was a good process. They're a professional football club. They know what they're doing, the Glazers, David Gill.
"Jose was going back to Chelsea, Carlo Ancelotti was going to Real Madrid, Jurgen Klopp had signed a contract with Dortmund, Louis van Gaal was staying with Holland for the World Cup.
"The other thing was I took Pep Guardiola for dinner in New York in the September and I had no idea I was ever going to retire and I said to him give me a call and tell what you're going to do. No answer.
"I was just trying to think way ahead. But I didn't get any answer and then he goes to Bayern Munich.
"We'd like to have spoken to many managers because that's a process. We'd like to have asked them what they felt about leaving a big club to go to a bigger club -- to come to Manchester United. It wasn't there for us.
"I don't think we made a mistake at all. I think we chose a good football man. He did a great job at Everton, 11 years there. We picked the right man. Unfortunately it didn't work for David.
"We'd like to have spoken to many managers, believe me, because that's the process. We'd like to have asked them what they felt about leaving a big club to go to a bigger club, to come to Manchester United.
"But it wasn't there for us. I think we did the best under the circumstances we were in."
On Monday, Chelsea insisted that Mourinho has the club's "full support" following their poor start to the season...http://laugh247ng..in/2015/10/jose-mourinho-couldnt-be-swayed-by-alex.html
Re: Messi vs ronaldo: International sportnews by Shollay20(m): 2:34am On Oct 08, 2015
Cristiano Ronaldo not a team player like Lionel Messi - Johan Cruyff

Former Barcelona player and coach Johan Cruyff says that current Blaugrana star Lionel Messi is a better player than Cristiano Ronaldo, as the Real Madrid Galactico is just "a great goal scorer" who does not concern himself with how the team plays overall.
Cruyff played at the Camp Nou from 1973 to 1978 and managed the Catalan club from 1988 to 1996, during which time he guided to the team to their first Champions League trophy.
As a player with Ajax and Netherlands, the Dutchman was a roving forward who often organised his teammates on the pitch during games as his teams played a "total football" style, while as a coach he has been credited with introducing the "tiki-taka" possession-based approach with which Barca and Spain have had such success in recent times.
The 68-year-old said in Mundo Deportivo that Messi was more of a team player than Ronaldo, who was only worried with goals, not passes or assists.
"I have always liked the little technical players, because I was like that," Cruyff said. "Cristiano is a good player, but he is a goal scorer. He will never be a player who can make a team, or who is concerned that the team plays well, he is just worried about finishing.
"By contrast, Messi is much more a team player: he gives passes, makes many more assists. As a player, not as a goalscorer, although he scores many goals."
Cruyff claimed that the distinction between being a "great player" and a "great goal scorer" was too subtle for most football fans to understand.
"For me there is a big difference between being a great player and a goal scorer," he said. "That is why you must look at things differently, looking at the details. Very few people do that. It is difficult to explain because nobody will understand it."
Despite his current injury, Messi is hot favourite to win this year's Ballon d'Or award, and retake a trophy which Ronaldo has claimed in both 2013 and 2014, and Cruyff said there as "no debate" over who deserved the 2015 award.
"There is no debate, nobody is at Messi's level," he said. "They will give it to him again...http://laugh247ng..in/2015/10/cristiano-ronaldo-not-team-player-like.html
Re: Messi vs ronaldo: International sportnews by Shollay20(m): 11:09am On Oct 14, 2015
Cristiano Ronaldo wants to retire at Real Madrid - 'I can play until 40'

Cristiano Ronaldo says he still dreams of finishing his career at Real Madrid and can see himself playing until he is 40.
Ronaldo's long-term future has been the subject of debate through recent weeks, with the 30-year-old saying that "nobody knows what will happen next year" when speaking after equalling Madrid's all-time goalscoring record late last month.
Former club Manchester United and French champions Paris Saint Germain have been linked with moves for the forward, with Ronaldo's agent Jorge Mendes reportedly seeking a new bumper contract for his client.
The Portugal captain this week picked up his record fourth career Golden Shoe award as Europe's top goal scorer, and from the podium targeted a "fifth, and a sixth," saying he was not yet satisfied with what he had achieved to date.
Speaking to Marca after the ceremony, Ronaldo said he wanted to stay at the Bernabeu while pointing out he had five or six more years at the top level, and now less than three remaining on his current Madrid deal.
#LaPortada 'El único' pic.twitter.com/xYvYrToSnp
- MARCA (@marca) October 13, 2015
"I want to win more. I still feel good, I feel young," Ronaldo said. "I am 30 and I want to play five or six more years, and in these years I want to do well and try and keep the level of recent seasons. I know that it gets harder all the time, but in my head it is possible.
"I want to win and I am at the best club in the world. Logically, I have a contract up to 33, and as I have said many times my dream was to finish here at Real Madrid, because I feel good, I feel useful, and I want to stay."
Ronaldo has had some significant injury issues in the past but thanked Madrid's physios when picking up this week's trophy, saying he was very happy with his current physical shape and could play for another full decade.
"At the moment I do not feel any different from when I was 25," Ronaldo said. "Many people say that from 30 you start to drop, but I do not share this idea because if you look after yourself, you train and you do well day to day. You do not grow old overnight, it happens slowly. If you look after yourself, you can reach 40. I have the motivation to keep going."
Starting the 2014-15 club season by scoring all of his goals for club and country in three, of 12, games against weaker opposition in Espanyol, Shakhtar Donetsk and Malmo was not at all a concern, Ronaldo said.
"If I end the season with the same rhythm of goals per game as now, I would take that," he said. "Twelve games and 10 goals is perfect. Do the maths... Cristiano Ronaldo would sign up for that right now. For sure."
Asked who his rivals were for this year's Golden Shoe award, Ronaldo listed many of the game's top strikers without mentioning Barcelona's Lionel Messi by name.
"There are many great forwards in Europe, in many leagues, the English, the German...," he added. "[Wayne] Rooney, [Sergio] Aguero, [Robert] Lewandowski, Neymar, [Karim] Benzema is also very good. Luis Suarez again. There are great players and I feel privileged to have won it four times. But I want to keep winning more. We will see what happens this year..

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

I buy Used Or Faulty Laptop Here @ A very Good price / Today's Predictions And Tips - All Games - 1960BET.NG / Protein Shake Recipes Bodybuilding

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 145
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.