Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,738 members, 7,809,827 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:36 PM

4 Types Of Scam You Should Beware Of This Ember Period - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / 4 Types Of Scam You Should Beware Of This Ember Period (763 Views)

Beware Of Scam That Requests Filling Of BVN Online Form / Some Scam You See On Nairaland And On Social Sites. Check To Know And Add Yours / Have Someone Tried To Scam You? Post The Message Here. Peace (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

4 Types Of Scam You Should Beware Of This Ember Period by Papilo87(m): 5:14pm On Oct 21, 2014
Already we have seen and heard reports from several persons on how they lost money to these scammers. So after some research we bring to you this short article to inform you on ways the strategies these scammers use so you will not fall victim in these ember months.

1. Customs Auction Cars

They are everywhere on the internet; forums, blogs, websites and facebook. They list cars at all sorts of ridiculous prices and claim they are cars confiscated by customs and top custom officials want to dispose of them discreetly. Attempting to do business with them means you will lose your money and never see any car.

2. Sugar Mummy Connections

They are everywhere on the web, posting spam links and phone numbers on comment sections of websites and on social media like facebook pages. They promise to connect gullible young men to rich older women who need sexual gratification and will in return pay them handsomely.

When any potential mugu contacts them he is asked to part with a certain sum as registration/application before he will then be connected to a rich sugar mummy.

3. Shell Recruitment SMS from a Youth Corper Friend

This particular tactic works om many people. In fact someone I know almost paid in N25,000 to the account of these hoodlums. He was saved because he called someone to verify before paying and the friend he called knew already of the scam and warned him to leave the bank immediately with his money.

The scope goes like this;

You get a text message from someone who apparently knows your name and where you did your NYSC. The message reads something like, ‘Hi (your name), longest time. This is (so and so name) from our NYSC days in Akwa Ibom. I now work with Shell. I just learnt they are recruiting and so I wish to let you know as a friend. You can reach the HR manager on this number but don’t mention I was the one that gave you the number’

The format of course varies but the generally scope is to appear like an old friend from youth service days and then before you know it if you call the number they start the brainwashing and you may just end up paying some money into their account as my guy almost did last week.

4. Job Offer scam

Th godfather of all job scams are perpetrated by government agencies and institutions. The immigration job scandal comes to mind as well as the Imo state 10,000 jobs scam under former Governor Ikedi Ohakim. While nothing is done about this ugly trend it encourages private individuals and organisations to demand money from applicants who they have no intention of providing with a job.

The key to staying ‘unscammed’ is to never ever part with your money. If it’s too good to be true then it probably is.

source: NairaBrains - business, money, people

2 Likes

Re: 4 Types Of Scam You Should Beware Of This Ember Period by agitator: 5:33pm On Oct 21, 2014
ok noted angry angry angry
Re: 4 Types Of Scam You Should Beware Of This Ember Period by justi4jesu(f): 11:29am On Oct 22, 2014
This is everyday scam not just Ember month...OP take note angry

(1) (Reply)

You Have To See This Offer / Lagos To Join Oil Producing State By 2015 / Easier Ways To Make Money Online

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.