Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,746 members, 7,824,148 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:41 AM

A Desparate Mother's Choice - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / A Desparate Mother's Choice (1734 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Desparate Mother's Choice by mizzochocinco: 2:18am On Oct 22, 2014
shanesha Taylor walked out of a job interview on March 20 at a Scottsdale, Arizona, insurance company feeling like her luck was about to change.

After months of fruitless job searching and moving her three children from one home to another, she was optimistic that she had found not just a job, but a career that would ground her family. The interview went well, lasting longer than expected. The 35-year-old single mother felt like she had the job "in the bag."

All that changed in an instant as she walked out to the parking lot and saw police around her Dodge Durango, where she had left her two sons during her hourlong job interview. A woman on her lunch break had called 911 after hearing a child crying in the hot car.

"I felt lost at that moment, like everything I had built myself up for, everything I was trying to do, had fallen apart," she said. "It went from how am I going to provide for my family to what's going to happen to my family?"

She was arrested on the spot and held in jail for 10 days on two counts of felony child abuse, losing custody of her three children. Her tear-stained face in a mugshot struck a chord among sympathizers nationwide, who thought the actions against her were unjustified given the circumstances.

Supporters coalesced on social media, starting a fundraising campaign to cover her $9,000 bail. It raised more than $110,000 over two months. An online petition asking Maricopa County Attorney Bill Montgomery to dismiss the charges drew more than 58,000 signatures. At one point #isupportshanesha was a trending topic on Twitter.

To many she represented the plight of single and underemployed parents who face tough decisions each day related to child care. Others saw it as evidence that the criminal justice system metes out harsher penalties to African-Americans than other racial groups.

"There's a racial component in this case that can't be ignored," said social justice activist Mariame Kaba, who started the online petition. She also contributed to efforts to keep the case in the public eye through social media and her blog, Prison Culture.

Montgomery said he was unmoved by the public outcry. But further discussion with Taylor's lawyer led to an outcome with which both sides say they are satisfied.

Montgomery agreed to dismiss child abuse charges against Taylor if she successfully completes 25 hours of parenting classes and establishes education and child care trust fund accounts for her children. She also has to complete a substance abuse treatment program -- a standard provision in these types of cases to ensure the children's safety, a county attorney spokesperson said -- even though she has no drug-related criminal record.

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/08/07/living/shanesha-taylor-plea-deal/?cid=C75581a07
Re: A Desparate Mother's Choice by pickabeau1: 2:45am On Oct 22, 2014
OK

So what's the point of this tale

OP
Re: A Desparate Mother's Choice by podosci(m): 4:42am On Oct 22, 2014
pickabeau1:
OK

So what's the point of this tale

OP
Did you read the post?...does it have to be about wizkid or jayz before you understand the wordings?...Children of this generation

3 Likes

Re: A Desparate Mother's Choice by pickabeau1: 6:23am On Oct 22, 2014
podosci:

Did you read the post?...does it have to be about wizkid or jayz before you understand the wordings?...Children of this generation

K is for Klown
Re: A Desparate Mother's Choice by egopersonified(f): 8:25am On Oct 22, 2014
I guess she automatically loses this new job. Thank God the kids are alive. This money matter no easy.
Re: A Desparate Mother's Choice by DesChyko: 9:48am On Oct 22, 2014
Well, it is hard to establish a connection between the topic and the contents..
Hell.. It's even harder to figure out what the point isundecided
Re: A Desparate Mother's Choice by smartmom(f): 6:44pm On Oct 22, 2014
The point I believe is the difficulties of a single African American unemployed mother has to face with the discrimination of the American system The support isnt in place yet she has to suffer the consequences of trying to provide for her kids. Thank God for all the donors who were able to discern the truth from the veneer or hypocrisy of the system that says it is out to protect kids from careless parents and overlooks the harshness of the economic reality of sincere parents. Parenting classes indeed angry
Re: A Desparate Mother's Choice by Nobody: 8:22pm On Oct 22, 2014
Even though she didn't anticipate the interview would last that long, she could've found an alternative place for the kids. No excuses. Those kids could have died of heatstroke! Many parents lose their kids every summer by doing what she did and they get prosecuted. If the passerby hadn't called the the police after hearing a child cry, they would still be in the hot car and who knows what could've happened? I'm glad the charges were dismissed because she wasn't deliberately trying to cause harm (although she could have), but I sure hope she has learned her lesson. The conditions she has to meet (25 hours of parenting classes, trust funds for her kids and substance abuse treatment program) will only help her and her kids in the future.

1 Like

Re: A Desparate Mother's Choice by smartmom(f): 9:11pm On Oct 22, 2014
Yields:
Even though she didn't anticipate the interview would last that long, she could've found an alternative place for the kids. No excuses. Those kids could have died of heatstroke! Many parents lose their kids every summer by doing what she did and they get prosecuted. If the passerby hadn't called the the police after hearing a child cry, they would still be in the hot car and who knows what could've happened? [/b]I'm glad the charges were dismissed because she wasn't deliberately trying to cause harm (although she could have), but I sure hope she has learned her lesson. The conditions she has to meet (25 hours of parenting classes, [b]trust funds for her kids and substance abuse treatment program) will only help her and her kids in the future.

Note that she was already coming out when the police were called so they couldnt have died of heat stroke. She was known to have no history of substance abuse so how would the treatment be of use to herself and kids? And trust fund for the kids with what funds after being jobless for so long?
Re: A Desparate Mother's Choice by Nobody: 9:27pm On Oct 22, 2014
Yields:
Even though she didn't anticipate the interview would last that long, she could've found an alternative place for the kids. No excuses. Those kids could have died of heatstroke! Many parents lose their kids every summer by doing what she did and they get prosecuted. If the passerby hadn't called the the police after hearing a child cry, they would still be in the hot car and who knows what could've happened? I'm glad the charges were dismissed because she wasn't deliberately trying to cause harm (although she could have), but I sure hope she has learned her lesson. The conditions she has to meet (25 hours of parenting classes, trust funds for her kids and substance abuse treatment program) will only help her and her kids in the future.

if u had the money to leave them at a day care maybe u could have helped hey

1 Like

Re: A Desparate Mother's Choice by Nobody: 9:29pm On Oct 22, 2014
smartmom:

Note that she was already coming out when the police were called so they couldnt have died of heat stroke. She was known to have no history of substance abuse so how would the treatment be of use to herself and kids? And trust fund for the kids with what funds after being jobless for so long?
I read that. The interview lasted longer than expected. Heatstroke can happen within minutes and even on cloudy days. She could've stepped out to the parking lot to find their dead bodies. The substance abuse program is a typical provision they give in situations like this, just to make sure the kids are in good hands. There is nothing wrong with her doing the program; no knowledge is wasted. She can still start the tf and contribute whatever little she has. I'm sure they will work with her in negotiating this. Besides, just because she doesn't have a job now doesn't mean she won't have one tomorrow. These conditions given by the Attorney aren't difficult, so I don't see why you have a problem with them. And like I said, they will only benefit her and her kids in the future. They aren't even the take-home point here, which is: Don't leave your kids in a hot car.

4 Likes

Re: A Desparate Mother's Choice by Nobody: 9:43pm On Oct 22, 2014
Mondisweets:
if u had the money to leave them at a day care maybe u could have helped hey
Curt, aren't we? If I knew her personally and she contacted me for help, best believe I would have. She shouldn't have left those kids in there, simple. If you have a problem with my opinion, that's too bad.

2 Likes

Re: A Desparate Mother's Choice by Nobody: 9:48pm On Oct 22, 2014
Yields:
Curt, aren't we? If I knew her personally and she contacted me for help, best believe I would have. She shouldn't have left those kids in there, simple. If you have a problem with my opinion, that's too bad.
never said i had a problem with it, its just that its always easier for people to bring up a million "solutions" to other people's problems when they aren't in the position to help. How sure are u that she had someone to leave her kids with? How sure are u that she could have afforded to pay someone to watch her children? How sure are u that she even knew someone who could have helped her? And im sure we werent talking about paying someone N500 here.
This woman doesnt live in a country where one can over-work an underage age child and under-pay her to be a babysitter. (At least a normal person wouldn't) If she had to leave her kids in a car to go for an interview, she clearly had become desparate for the money she didnt have.

This is not your typical Draya Michele who lives her 7year old child at home at night, so she can go to work, and by work i mean going for a photoshoot to take half naked pictures of yourself to become famous

1 Like

Re: A Desparate Mother's Choice by Nobody: 10:10pm On Oct 22, 2014
Mondisweets:
never said i had a problem with it, its just that its always easier for people to bring up a million "solutions" to other people's problems when they aren't in the position to help. How sure are u that she had someone to leave her kids with? How sure are u that she could have afforded to pay someone to watch her children? And im sure here we werent talking about paying someone N500
You are the one stating solutions; I simply said there were "alternatives" but since you explicitly mentioned some of these solutions, I believe she could've looked into them. She had a car and money for gas (or how is she getting around without gas?), so she probably could've dished out a little bit for someone to watch those kids. Many employers are reasonable and maybe she could've taken them along and they would've allowed them to stay in another room while the interview is being conducted. I mean, God forbid, but had anything bad happen, she herself would be looking back in hindsight and examining the I-should-haves; at the alternatives she could've chosen other than leaving them in the hot car. I'm glad she went to look for a job to better her and her children's life, but that simple mistake could've costed her a lifetime of pain and she likely would be too devastated to work the job she went to interview for.

Just this afternoon (this is a true story), a Pakistani woman was talking loudly on the phone next to me. I looked at her direction but I guess I was not giving her the nicest look (she was really loud), so she came to apologize a few minutes later when she got off. I thought it was sweet b/c she didn't have to! I asked her if everything was okay and she said "No". Her husband left 12 grand, that is, $12,000, in the pocket of his jacket - on the seat in his car; went into a Mosque to pray, came back to find the jacket but not the money. This just happened like 3 hours ago. She started hitting her forehead with her palm, got on the phone again and started yelling again in her language.

My point is, anything could've happened to those kids. I'm not calling her a bad person. Never did. But it was a careless mistake that could've costed her a whole lot.

1 Like

Re: A Desparate Mother's Choice by Nobody: 10:23pm On Oct 22, 2014
Yields:
You are the one stating solutions; I simply said there were "alternatives" but since you explicitly mentioned some of these solutions, I believe she could've looked into them. She had a car and money for gas (or how is she getting around without gas?), so she probably could've dished out a little bit for someone to watch those kids. Many employers are reasonable and maybe she could've taken them along and they would've allowed them to stay in another room while the interview is being conducted. I mean, God forbid, but had anything bad happen, she herself would be looking back in hindsight and examining the I-should-haves; at the alternatives she could've chosen other than leaving them in the hot car. I'm glad she went to look for a job to better her and her children's life, but that simple mistake could've costed her a lifetime of pain and she likely would be too devastated to work the job she went to interview for.

Just this afternoon (this is a true story), a Pakistani woman was talking loudly on the phone next to me. I looked at her direction but I guess I was not giving her the nicest look (she was really loud), so she came to apologize a few minutes later when she got off. I thought it was sweet b/c she didn't have to! I asked her if everything was okay and she said "No". Her husband left 12 grand, that is, $12,000, in the pocket of his jacket - on the seat in his car; went into a Mosque to pray, came back to find the jacket but not the money. This just happened like 3 hours ago. She started hitting her forehead with her palm, got on the phone again and started yelling again in her language.

So my point is, anything could've happened to those kids. I'm not calling her a bad mother; never did, but it was a careless mistake that could've costed her a whole lot.
that pakistani woman acted out of anger and this woman acted out of desparation.

This is a candidate not someone who is already employed. I wonder how many people that would be willing to leave their work for a couple of minutes to watch over a stranger's (or simply entertain them in his or her office) during working hours in the course of their employment.

Im pretty sure u can get gas for at least $3.50 a gallon, how many babysitters can u get at that price?

1 Like

Re: A Desparate Mother's Choice by Nobody: 10:32pm On Oct 22, 2014
Mondisweets:
that pakistani woman acted out of anger and this woman acted out of desparation.

This is a candidate not someone who is already employed. I wonder how many people that would be willing to leave their work for a couple of minutes to watch over a stranger's during working hours in the course of their employment.

Im pretty sure u can get gas for at least $3.50 a gallon, how many babysitters can u get at that price?
Sigh. No one's talking about whether one acted out of anger or desperation. The bigger picture in the story I just shared and the artlcle's is as follows: Don't leave anything of value in a car - whether a little human being, money or anything else you consider important, or you may lose him/her/it. My biggest concern, of course, is the irreplaceable life of the human being. That was my purpose in sharing the story. I did not state whether the Pakistani woman had a job or not; she only told me about what happened to her husband. You keep going on about minute things. My opinion still stands. She shouldn't have left them in the car but I hope she has learned her lesson. Case closed.

2 Likes

Re: A Desparate Mother's Choice by Nobody: 10:45pm On Oct 22, 2014
Yields:
Sigh. No one's talking about whether one acted out of anger or desperation. The bigger picture in the story I just shared and the artlcle's is as follows: Don't leave anything of value in a car - whether a little human being, money or anything else you consider important, or you may lose him/her/it. My biggest concern, of course, is the irreplaceable life of the human being. That was my purpose in sharing the story. I did not state whether the Pakistani woman had a job or not; she only told me about what happened to her husband. You keep going on about minute things. My opinion still stands. She shouldn't have left them in the car but I hope she has learned her lesson. Case closed.

Neither will those children feed on candy in the sky, or sleep in a house thats rent free smiley

2 Likes

Re: A Desparate Mother's Choice by Nobody: 10:13am On Oct 23, 2014
Mondisweets:

Neither will those children feed on candy in the sky, or sleep in a house thats rent free smiley
So it makes sense to leave them in the hot car? There goes the extent of your {non-existent} argument.

1 Like

Re: A Desparate Mother's Choice by Nobody: 11:09am On Oct 23, 2014
Yields:
So it makes sense to leave them in the hot car? There goes the extent of your {non-existent} argument.
she already said she assumed she wasn't taking long. Anyway she has already been awarded over $110,00 by people who supported my non-existent argument/ point of view undecided guess its much more sensible to assume that a person who can afford $3.50 a gallon should automatically be able to afford a babysitter grin and thats what u assume is a valid argument? grin

1 Like

Re: A Desparate Mother's Choice by Nobody: 11:26am On Oct 23, 2014
Mondisweets:
she already said she assumed she wasn't taking long. Anyway she has already been awarded over $110,00 by people who supported my non-existent argument/ point of view undecided guess its much more sensible to assume that a person who can afford $3.50 a gallon should automatically be able to afford a babysitter grin and thats what u assume is a valid argument? grin
I don't care how much was raised. I did hear about this story in the summer and the temp inside the car was >100 degrees. Quite frankly, the amount raised is of little importance here. That still doesn't negate the point. Understood?

1 Like

Re: A Desparate Mother's Choice by LordReed(m): 1:04pm On Oct 23, 2014
I wonder how mothers think it is OK to leave children in a car with rolled up windows and no AC to mitigate the heat or provide adequate airflow. I as an adult hyperventilate in stuffy enclosures talk less of a kid. But sometimes these punishments handed out to parents in the US are absurd. Why does an alcoholic or drug addict get to go for counseling but a parent with young children to cater for is sent to prison for a minor infraction. Rather such parents should be fined or something. Addicts and others have halfway houses why isn't there something like that for struggling parents?

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

At What Age Will You Get Married According To This Question? / The Effects Of Irresponsible Parenting / 11 Clever Kitchen Hacks That Only The Professionals Know

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.