Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,118 members, 7,953,442 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 04:21 PM

Tips On How To Filter Genuine From Fake Threads or E-mails - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Tips On How To Filter Genuine From Fake Threads or E-mails (538 Views)

Tecno Y4 Discussion Threads / Tecno BOOM J7 Discussion Threads / Bulk Phone Numbers And Nigeria E-mails For Sale (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Tips On How To Filter Genuine From Fake Threads or E-mails by qreatrix: 2:39am On Oct 22, 2014
Out there are many threads published by different Tech Gurus or service providers across different websites with some going as far as reaching you by mail, usually offering diverse products or services and in some cases, technological solutions to a unique problem; it is now left for the reader to choose which is legit, valid and trustworthy. I understand that there are honest service providers who have consistently offered quality products/services and by so doing have built a reputation for themselves and in that regard, I salute your integrity!

But to protect the unexpecting few from fraudsters, non-valid technological solutions and gimmicks, below are a few tips that could help one select wisely when choosing the offer to subscribe to on websites or via e-mails :

1. Always check the date the thread was published. A thread published in 2011/2012 may rarely work in 2014 owing to technological advancement. An offer on ANY website or via mail should be relative with what is obtainable at the present moment.

2. Avoid what I call too good to be true offers. Nigerians love free/cheap things & that is what scammers prey on! For instance an offer on Data subscription can appear very cheap and unrealistic but compare it to standard prices; if the difference is not too much and there are similar offers, then it may be safe. But a laptop for #7,000 is UNREALISTIC!

3. Read through comments. The down side of this is that it is usually not applicable to New threads as everyone is waiting for someone to try the service first. But just incase you are the type that needs to be 100% sure first, then you can exercise a little patience & in a few hours comments will begin to pop up.

4. Ask questions in the comment box or what ever contact detail provided; USE THEM! One of the traits of a good service provider is his/her willingness to respond to enquiries/questions WITHOUT sounding desperate or too convincing! Scammers really don't have time for your questions! Before responding to an offer via mail, take out time to visit the service provider's website and read through! Terms & conditions of service are usually too long to go through & you may not have that time but the product/service description (no matter how short) should adequately equip you with all you need to know about the product/service as well as the provider. Do not give out your details without first being rest assured that the offer as well as the provider is legit.

5. Develop a habit of sharing threads! Isn't that promoting the advert? You may ask. In my novice days, I was saved from a major scam deal because I shared it on Facebook and a friend of mine quickly cautioned me after seeing the same thread that someone he knew fell victim to. If a thread/advert attracts your attention, it would cost you nothing to share it with friends/family and by so doing, it can save you a fortune!

6. Develop the habit of posting commendations below threads that you've tried and are satisfied with. It goes a long way to help others and in turn someone else's comment will help you someday!

7. Look out for complete and consistent contact details This is one of the most important things to look out for! A thread or mail offering a service should have a minimum of two contact details and by that I do NOT mean "Contact me on 08031234567 or on watsapp via the same number".
Click the link below to see a sample of what a well detailed contact address should look like below a thread or e-mail!
https://www.nairaland.com/1959356/250mb-400-1gb-1000-cheapest

Pls feel free to add additional tips I may have left out in the comment box. Let's share our experiences!

Cheers...

Yours truly,
Qreatrix Tech Solutions
Qreatrix@gmail.com
Re: Tips On How To Filter Genuine From Fake Threads or E-mails by Mention(m): 7:39am On Oct 22, 2014
Hmmm.. You try

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Basic Android Terminologies / Is There Problem With Whatsapp Network? / Learn How To Create A Paypal Account In Nigerial And Redraw Funds With Atm

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.