Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,747 members, 7,824,149 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:46 AM

These 4 Cases Show Why Nigerian University Graduates Are Still Unemployable - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / These 4 Cases Show Why Nigerian University Graduates Are Still Unemployable (855 Views)

"Foreign Trained Graduates Are Not Necessarily Better" - Nimi Akinkugbe / Federal Civil Service Cadre And Positions For University Graduates / Access/Marina/Capital Banks to Sack All Polytechnic & State University Graduates (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

These 4 Cases Show Why Nigerian University Graduates Are Still Unemployable by Thebusinessaim: 10:14am On Oct 22, 2014
They say many Nigerian graduates are not employable, you will beg to differ until you have gone through rigorous and time wasting recruitment process of trying to get the right person for the job.

Take this 4 cases.
Case 1: A media company needs to recruit staff for a target driven role; ‘we need you to get us 2.5 milion naira in sales by the end of the month’ the company says. Now during the recruitment process, 70% of the interviewees did not properly research the company so as to get in depth knowledge. When asked, one says ‘I think the company does….’ another says ‘the company is into…..’ but the look on his face shows he’s not even sure.

These are the kind of individuals firms see everyday at interviews, and at some point a firm desperate to fill the role takes on a staff with no track achievements but promises that the goal can be achieved. A month later, there is no result, no money, and the firm has no choice but to pay that same staff who in his first 2 weeks became complacent on the job, waits to be spoon fed rather than hit the ground running as promised. The staff who has continued to murmur on how some things are not achievable for a company that is looking to disrupt the market due to their uncanny approach and model. Didn’t he see these things when he was applying for the job?

Case 2: After the interview process, this same company finds another individual who promises heaven if employed. Now the company is skeptical about this move since the other recruited individual has produced nothing. Now the company starts thinking; “if this individual can do this, why is she waiting to be officially employed”.
Now if I was this particular individual I would request a form of identification and agreement with the company to get a certain percentage of any job I pull in plus my salary. But if I’m not able to get anything by the month’s end, I get nothing.

You see if one thinks this way, it gives one wings to fly, because the thought of not getting anything becomes your nightmare, for one its either all or nothing thus making one go all out. But on the other hand, if you are sure you will get paid whether you meet your goal or not, then subconsciously there is no real ginger to achieve it.

Case 3: A digital company looks to employ a content developer and during the recruitment process comes across an individual who is awaiting youth service. Now this individual says is she’s willing to learn a few things but has developed great content in the past. So they give her the benefit of the doubt and then proceed with the second stage of the recruitment where she’s to develop a trial content, the exact type the firm needs. And on the day of this trials,the individual refuses to proceed unless she’s told of the other benefits the job attracts.

Its right to demand for what is ours yes? But what is wrong with this? Over confidence. This is the problem with many Nigerians today. We boast of what we can do even when we have done nothing, we boast of the big things we have done even though they are actually little. In many cases we over assume that we are bigger than certain things and are over confident when in truth we are far below it. For this lad, that was the end of the interview.

See more: - http://thebusinessaim.com.ng/these-4-cases-show-why-nigerian-university-graduates-are-still-unemployable/

Re: These 4 Cases Show Why Nigerian University Graduates Are Still Unemployable by smsgarden247: 5:06pm On Oct 23, 2014
yea, you are very correct, i will suggest that every graduate who wants to get employed should try their best to be employable. MTN Nigeria is currently Recruiting check to details here>>>>http://myjobadvert..com

(1) (Reply)

You're Invited To Our CCNA/CCTV Practical Training / Throwback Photo of Buhari in Abu Dhabi in 1978 / Most Effective Ways To Sell Your Products Online

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.