Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,702 members, 7,809,666 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:46 PM

Senate Set To Abolish Degree/hnd Dichotomy - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Senate Set To Abolish Degree/hnd Dichotomy (2494 Views)

Degree/hnd Dichotomy Bill Passes Second Reading In Senate / Senate Set To Scrap Post Ume / Fg To Abolish Ume, Pce Next Year: Commences Unified Tertiary Matriculation Exam (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Senate Set To Abolish Degree/hnd Dichotomy by etenyong(m): 6:11pm On Oct 22, 2014
A Bill for an Act to abolish and prohibit dichotomy
and discrimination between University’s degrees
and the Higher National Diploma in the same
profession and field, scaled the second reading on
the floor of theSsenate on Wednesday.
The bill, sponsored by the member representing
Ondo Central Senatorial District, Ayo Akinyelure,
specifically seeks to end the ongoing controversy
over wage disparity and gross discrimination
against HND holders in the public and private
sectors.
He said, “The aftermath of continuing injustices,
disparity and discrimination meted to products of
polytechnics in Nigeria is threatening to derail the
nation’s core policy thrust of evolving a
technological and scientifically based, self-reliant
society in the nearest future.
“As I speak, thousands of would-be polytechnic and
technology students are contemplating or have
decided to opt for university education, because of
perceived and real discrimination against HND
graduates.
“If this contemplation occurs, there is bound to be
a vacuum created in our labour market in this
regard, and dire consequences are bound to follow
this trend.
“Over the years, several entreaties have been put
forth to the Federal Civil Service authorities to put a
stop to certain glaring wage disparities and
discrimination against the HND holders, and all
these have been to no avail.”
He said to make matters worse, certain federal
parastatals were known to openly discriminate
against HND holders to the extent of limiting their
progress within the hierarchy of such government
bodies.
“To all intents and purposes, a government
employment policy that places degree holders
ahead of HND holders without recourse to skill and
ability of the HND holder thereof, does more harm
than good to the nation’s development,” he added.
Akinyelure, who is also the Chairman, Senate
Committee on Ethics, Privileges and Public
Petitions, further argued that empirical evidence
had shown that polytechnic graduates of
accountancy, engineering and some other
professional curses are better on the job than their
university counterparts.
Senators, who contributed to the debate, noted
that the issue of dichotomy between the two
certificates could only be addressed if the
curriculum of polytechnics was improved upon and
ensure that it was rich enough to award degrees.
www.punchng.com/news/degreehnd-dichotomy-bill-passes-second-reading-in-senate/

1 Like

Re: Senate Set To Abolish Degree/hnd Dichotomy by Nobody: 6:13pm On Oct 22, 2014
A step in the right direction..they should also stop the dichotomy btw bsc degrees and Msc holders too... Infact they should decree that all manner of degrees in nigeria must be equal....

1 Like

Re: Senate Set To Abolish Degree/hnd Dichotomy by morefire: 6:14pm On Oct 22, 2014
Cutehector4u:
A step in the right direction..they should also stop the dichotomy btw bsc degrees and Msc holders too... Infact they should decree that all manner of degrees in nigeria must be equal....

haba but are they equal
Re: Senate Set To Abolish Degree/hnd Dichotomy by Nobody: 6:15pm On Oct 22, 2014
morefire:

haba but are they equal
same question u should be askin urself abt OND, ND, HND...
Re: Senate Set To Abolish Degree/hnd Dichotomy by morefire: 6:21pm On Oct 22, 2014
Cutehector4u:
same question u should be askin urself abt OND, ND, HND...

wait is OND now equal BSC
Re: Senate Set To Abolish Degree/hnd Dichotomy by Nobody: 6:23pm On Oct 22, 2014
morefire:

wait is OND now equal BSC
dat is what ur distinguished house of reps are tryn to do...
Re: Senate Set To Abolish Degree/hnd Dichotomy by morefire: 6:24pm On Oct 22, 2014
etenyong:
A Bill for an Act to abolish and prohibit dichotomy
and discrimination between University’s degrees
and the Higher National Diploma in the same
profession and field, scaled the second reading on
the floor of theSsenate on Wednesday.
The bill, sponsored by the member representing
Ondo Central Senatorial District, Ayo Akinyelure,
specifically seeks to end the ongoing controversy
over wage disparity and gross discrimination
against HND holders in the public and private
sectors.
He said, “The aftermath of continuing injustices,
disparity and discrimination meted to products of
polytechnics in Nigeria is threatening to derail the
nation’s core policy thrust of evolving a
technological and scientifically based, self-reliant
society in the nearest future.
“As I speak, thousands of would-be polytechnic and
technology students are contemplating or have
decided to opt for university education, because of
perceived and real discrimination against HND
graduates.
“If this contemplation occurs, there is bound to be
a vacuum created in our labour market in this
regard, and dire consequences are bound to follow
this trend.
“Over the years, several entreaties have been put
forth to the Federal Civil Service authorities to put a
stop to certain glaring wage disparities and
discrimination against the HND holders, and all
these have been to no avail.”
He said to make matters worse, certain federal
parastatals were known to openly discriminate
against HND holders to the extent of limiting their
progress within the hierarchy of such government
bodies.
“To all intents and purposes, a government
employment policy that places degree holders
ahead of HND holders without recourse to skill and
ability of the HND holder thereof, does more harm
than good to the nation’s development,” he added.
Akinyelure, who is also the Chairman, Senate
Committee on Ethics, Privileges and Public
Petitions, further argued that empirical evidence
had shown that polytechnic graduates of
accountancy, engineering and some other
professional curses are better on the job than their
university counterparts.
Senators, who contributed to the debate, noted
that the issue of dichotomy between the two
certificates could only be addressed if the
curriculum of polytechnics was improved upon and
ensure that it was rich enough to award degrees.
www.punchng.com/news/degreehnd-dichotomy-bill-passes-second-reading-in-senate/

food when sweet na money kill am... we have bn dragging this matter since i was a kid now am a man nothing

me i have sha learnt not to send any of my kids for HND
Re: Senate Set To Abolish Degree/hnd Dichotomy by morefire: 6:27pm On Oct 22, 2014
Cutehector4u:
dat is what ur distinguished house of reps are tryn to do...

I tire for ds country

Poly is never the same as UNI

even the qualification to enter is different

so i made over 260 in jamb you made 160 I got BSC you got HND now you say you want to collect same position

oya now lets make Nigeria MBA and foreign MBA the same too now

hissssssssss

4 Likes

Re: Senate Set To Abolish Degree/hnd Dichotomy by Nobody: 6:31pm On Oct 22, 2014
morefire:

I tire for ds country

so i made over 260 in jamb you made 160 I got BSC you got HND now you say you want to collect same position

No mind dem.... Thr are more pressing issues to be discussed in the senate dan all dese unwanted issues...
hissssssssss
Re: Senate Set To Abolish Degree/hnd Dichotomy by politricks: 6:47pm On Oct 22, 2014
How many times are we going to trash this issue?.All i know is polytecnic can never be the same as the highest institution of learning(university).
Re: Senate Set To Abolish Degree/hnd Dichotomy by Toyozzie(f): 7:24pm On Oct 22, 2014
shocked shocked shocked
Re: Senate Set To Abolish Degree/hnd Dichotomy by tempem: 7:24pm On Oct 22, 2014
politricks:
How many times are we going to trash this issue?.All i know is polytecnic can never be the same as the highest institution of learning(university).
Alright...... And that doesn't make Hnd holders poor fellow...
I think what we are all fighting for is success, and ones someone is successful irrespective of where he graduated from, the grand mark has been fixed then.
Re: Senate Set To Abolish Degree/hnd Dichotomy by NnamdiN: 9:53pm On Oct 22, 2014
morefire:

I tire for ds country

hissssssssss
egocentric Africans. Typical

even person wey graduate with pass go come they form superiority( didn't say you did o) cheesy
Does your bsc being equal to hnd affect your life in any way?
Live and let live brother.

1 Like

Re: Senate Set To Abolish Degree/hnd Dichotomy by rattlesnake(m): 10:11pm On Oct 22, 2014
In this case they should declare real braest n silicone are EQUAL....mastectomy undecided

Infact all Virgins are now equal....both secondary, primary,immaculate and Tertiary
Re: Senate Set To Abolish Degree/hnd Dichotomy by kestolove95(m): 10:14pm On Oct 22, 2014
all dix hnd e-rats,if u want degree go to university...shikena
Re: Senate Set To Abolish Degree/hnd Dichotomy by Nobody: 10:25pm On Oct 22, 2014
Good 1.... Now deer would b equal criterias for entry into uni and and HND .... Honestly some poly students r far beta dan uni student's ....

1 Like

Re: Senate Set To Abolish Degree/hnd Dichotomy by mcfarlin(m): 10:27pm On Oct 22, 2014
tempem:

Alright...... And that doesn't make Hnd holders poor fellow...
I think what we are all fighting for is success, and ones someone is successful irrespective of where he graduated from, the grand mark has been fixed then.

[size=30]YAWNS!!![/size]

This line of success or no success is getting boring

When university students start hustlin' to get direct entry admission into polytechnics then talks can start on having a level ground

Till then

University is the highest institution for learning
Re: Senate Set To Abolish Degree/hnd Dichotomy by joelreg(m): 10:44pm On Oct 22, 2014
Na today
I dey look
Re: Senate Set To Abolish Degree/hnd Dichotomy by MevsU(m): 12:16am On Oct 23, 2014
A confused nation
Re: Senate Set To Abolish Degree/hnd Dichotomy by tempem: 3:46am On Oct 23, 2014
mcfarlin:

[size=30]YAWNS!!![/size]

This line of success or no success is getting boring

When university students start hustlin' to get direct entry admission into polytechnics then talks can start on having a level ground

Till then

University is the highest institution for learning
Alright!
Re: Senate Set To Abolish Degree/hnd Dichotomy by Ukutsgp(m): 6:50am On Oct 23, 2014
hnd graduates are more practical oriented than university graduates. it should be equal.
Re: Senate Set To Abolish Degree/hnd Dichotomy by pendusky(m): 6:54am On Oct 23, 2014
morefire:

I tire for ds country

hissssssssss

did you get the news well? BTW post ur Jamb Result as evidence and stop whining so we believe you!

from the news I heard The house want the system to get the same standard point of entry requirement to stop the disparity!
Re: Senate Set To Abolish Degree/hnd Dichotomy by eightsin(m): 7:18am On Oct 23, 2014
Cutehector4u:
Re: Senate Set To Abolish Degree/hnd Dichotomy by Nobody: 8:40am On Oct 23, 2014
sexyexcalibur:
Good 1.... Now [deer would b equal criterias for entry into uni and HND .... Honestly some poly students r far beta dan uni student's ....
Obviously, you ain't one of them with your awesome command of English cheesy

1 Like

Re: Senate Set To Abolish Degree/hnd Dichotomy by Nobody: 8:40am On Oct 23, 2014
sexyexcalibur:
Good 1.... Now deer would b equal criterias for entry into uni and and HND .... Honestly some poly students r far beta dan uni student's ....
Re: Senate Set To Abolish Degree/hnd Dichotomy by Nobody: 8:41am On Oct 23, 2014
Senators, who contributed to the debate, noted that the issue of dichotomy between the two certificates could only be addressed if the curriculum of polytechnics was improved upon and ensure that it was rich enough to award degrees.

Then why HND in the first place, if BSC curriculum will = HND curriculum. They better scrap HND or re-visit the objectives of Polytechnics education. Polytechnics (national knowledge) education in any part of the world is designed to manpower/skill development (skill-based education) to meet the national economy objectives while University (universal knowledge) education is designed to produce high level managerial individuals (knowledge based education).

So with the educational designed, HND graduates will always do better doing the work while BSC will always excel in planning for and managing the work. That HND graduates are highly skill and can perform better than BSC on the field does not translate that their qualifications should be equal.

SUMMARY
HND = skill and practical oriented
BSC = knowledge and theory oriented
Both education can not be equal but limiting the progression cadre for promotion to higher grade levels (above GL14/GL12) can be abolished but not the curriculum.

And any education outside 6-3-3-4 (4 = University Education where BSc, MSc and PhD are awarded) is consider to be a remedial education (e.g. technical college, college of education, mono/polytechnic, etc)
Re: Senate Set To Abolish Degree/hnd Dichotomy by sheddo619(m): 8:52am On Oct 23, 2014
Am an ND student Currently doing my SIWES at a Construction company,I was greatly dismay when our supervisor ask a 400l student of a nigerian institution the mix ratio of concrete without being given the answer ,again he was given a tape to read a certain measurement which he was still not able to read, seriously speaking there are courses that are best done in the polythecnic sector.
Re: Senate Set To Abolish Degree/hnd Dichotomy by Johans(m): 9:31am On Oct 23, 2014
This is not the first time we have seen such news.

Even when enacted, The dichotomy can only be effective when there is egalitarism in the mode of entry into universities and polytechnics.

As it is now, polytechnics in Nigeria are widely perceived as dumping grounds for students who performed poorly in Jamb with scores ranging from 150 to 179, where as some universities even reject those with jamb scores ranging from 200+ due to high competitions during entries.

Point is, entries should be based on equal grounds and polytechnics should be upgraded with equal resources and facilities as universities before HND can be successfully compared with BSC.

But wait a minute, if polytechnics equals universities then there should be no such thing as 'polytechnics' just universities.

Most importantly, all fingers ain't equal, it's a law of nature that some things be considered superior than others...

*Runs out of thread before HND holders crucify me*

1 Like

Re: Senate Set To Abolish Degree/hnd Dichotomy by Nobody: 9:48pm On Oct 23, 2014
Paroman:
Obviously, you ain't one of them with your awesome command of English cheesy

Lol .. funny u ..... der den auto correct fixed it to deer. . ..... am a doctor (check my previous posts) ... n I v paid my dues wen it comes to education... I like using shorthand instead of writing formally on social forums and wen am chatting...

so, u having a petty B.science holds nothing on ma MBBS ...
so get a life

(1) (Reply)

The Polytechnic Ibadan To Go On Indefinite Strike / Mental Slavery / Reasons Why Our Nigeria Student Prefers Schooling Abroad???

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.