Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,900 members, 7,828,176 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 04:29 AM

Tips For Protecting Your Phone From Theft In Crowded Areas - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Tips For Protecting Your Phone From Theft In Crowded Areas (964 Views)

Nigeria Bloggosphere Is Over Crowded / How To Protect Domain Names And Secure Your Website From Theft / How To Protect Your Domain From Theft And Secure Your Website From Being Stolen (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tips For Protecting Your Phone From Theft In Crowded Areas by fleps(m): 10:14pm On Oct 22, 2014
First of all I'll like to thank God for sparing my phone from being stolen at Oshodi in Lagos last night on my way back from work.
I've had two android phones stolen from me at two different times within a year. First I won a ZTE Racer ll from Gbenga Adeyinka on yookoos.com sometime last year (July or so) and after using the phone for just 3 days (collected on a Friday and on Monday...) at Iyanaworo bridge about to rush into a car going to Lekki (my work place) the phone was removed from my bag and I never recovered it despite the Avast Anti-Theft app I installed.

Since I just started work in March, I had to still save enough for some months to get a new phone (I was an Intern then). I got the new Tecno L3 and rocked it for some time till the 1st day of January 2014 on my way back from church (cross over night service). I was blocked at one of the dark places around 2.am and my phone was collected again (chai e big like say make I been just quench wen I reach house)

I had to wait again for January salary before I bought my current phone middle of February, an Infinix Race Bolt Q. And just last night at Oshodi after alighting from the staff bus with 3 of my colleagues I was almost ripped off my phone. We walked up the pedestrian bridge and were stepping down at the other side to get a bus to Gbagada/New Garage when my lady colleague noticed a guy walking so close to me and trying to unzip my bag to reach out for my phone(which I always put in my bag once I get into any crowded area). She shouted at the rogue (who didn't know we were together as colleagues) and pulled me aside/away from the rogue (she was a little behind me and chatting with another female colleague). That's how my phone remained safe o! Thanks to God and to her. So today I will list/share tips for preventing phone theft in very crowded areas like Oshodi

1) If possible, do not walk alone (I'm not a Liverpool fan o!). Walk with friends or colleagues. These guys (pick pockets) do not approach people in a group.

2) If you must put your phone in your bag, do not back your bag (that's the mistake I made) as a primary pupil would do. Instead hold it with your hand until the coast is clear (as a friend advised)

3) If you're not with a bag, put your phone in your deep pocket and make sure you pocket your hand on the phone and walk as a big boy as if nothing dey.

4) Be careful of people who walk too close to you in such crowdy areas. Always be alert! These people are swift o!

5) And when you are in a bus or cab sitting close to the window in traffic, do not fiddle with your phone except you want to unwillingly donate your gadget to men of the caves who’ll just snatch your phone and on their heels they zoom (Happens around Dolphin/Osborne area.

Oboy, it seems I've talked too much. Those experiences really taught me something. Anyway, do you know of other tips? You know as webmasters we have valuable info on our phones and most times they're not backed up on a PC. So what methods do you use in protecting your phone(s) in crowded areas? The comment box is starring at you; use it please smiley

selahcom.com first lodged this post

1 Like

Re: Tips For Protecting Your Phone From Theft In Crowded Areas by Nobody: 10:26pm On Oct 22, 2014
op you don hear am o...
All those devices lost to them rogues!

Nice tips sha...

Though the last thing you can ever steal from me is my phone as it will be easier to push a cow through a needle-head , I still think this will come handy someday.

Thanks.
Re: Tips For Protecting Your Phone From Theft In Crowded Areas by moderatorr: 4:55am On Oct 23, 2014
i like to put my phone in front pocket (jeans) or hold it on my hand when i suspect fish.
Re: Tips For Protecting Your Phone From Theft In Crowded Areas by Nobody: 7:16am On Oct 23, 2014
Re: Tips For Protecting Your Phone From Theft In Crowded Areas by fleps(m): 8:22am On Oct 23, 2014
blizard44:
op you don hear am o...
All those devices lost to them rogues!

Nice tips sha...

Though the last thing you can ever steal from me is my phone as it will be easier to push a cow through a needle-head , I still think this will come handy someday.

Thanks.

Oboy that means you get security to tight ju be that o! And it was not a small thing. The first and second phone pain me o! Just 3 days. I mean 3 days for my first android.

The second one. hmmm I even reached home and returned to the scene of the crime because it all happened like magic.
Re: Tips For Protecting Your Phone From Theft In Crowded Areas by fleps(m): 8:26am On Oct 23, 2014
moderatorr:
i like to put my phone in front pocket (jeans) or hold it on my hand when i suspect fish.

Lol @ 'fish'
Re: Tips For Protecting Your Phone From Theft In Crowded Areas by Nobody: 9:49am On Oct 23, 2014
fleps:

Oboy that means you get security to tight ju be that o! And it was not a small thing. The first and second phone pain me o! Just 3 days. I mean 3 days for my first android.

The second one. hmmm I even reached home and returned to the scene of the crime because it all happened like magic.
hehe...

Pele.

You're worth far more now. Na them carry problem.
Re: Tips For Protecting Your Phone From Theft In Crowded Areas by fleps(m): 3:18pm On Oct 23, 2014
blizard44:
hehe...

Pele.

You're worth far more now. Na them carry problem.

Abi my brother...

1 Like

Re: Tips For Protecting Your Phone From Theft In Crowded Areas by ReLaTE(m): 4:10pm On Oct 24, 2014
putting ur phone in ur front pocket if u are wearing a jean trouser is the safest. Holding it at hand is not also well secured likewise putting it inside bag or back of ur trouser.

(1) (Reply)

How Do I Link My Free Blog To A Godaddy Domain Name? / How Does Nairalnad Fronpage Works / New Cbt/e-exam System For School And Colleges

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.