Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,731 members, 7,817,014 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:55 PM

‘stop Criticizing Young People Going Into Politics’ – Desmond Elliot - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / ‘stop Criticizing Young People Going Into Politics’ – Desmond Elliot (706 Views)

Ini Edo Stuns In Blue Dress For Honourable Desmond Elliot’s Inaugural Reception / Olamide, Ice Prince, Funke & Others Campaign For Ambode & Desmond Elliot- Pics / Ramsey Noah or Desmond Elliot? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

‘stop Criticizing Young People Going Into Politics’ – Desmond Elliot by styless(f): 1:47pm On Oct 23, 2014
Ekekeee’s Emmanuel Nwachukwu caught up with actor Desmond Elliot in Surulere where he was scheduled to have an interactive session with young people in the constituency which he seeks to represent at the Lagos State legislature if he wins in 2015. Desmond Elliot is one of the many other Nigerians in the entertainment industry making a foray into politics, a move that has attracted them lots of criticisms on social media. We took him up on this, the sudden appearance of ‘’Olusola’’ as his middle name on his campaign posters, why he chose APC, Boko Haram and other interesting issues.

It’s an exciting read.

So we began by asking him,

Why are you going into politics? You are popular enough. Why politics?

I’ve always been in politics, maybe not participating or campaigning for myself in any political office. But I’ve always been in politics. I’ve worked in governments, different state governments, you know, up to the presidency. So yes, I’ve always been in politics. And, basically, I know it’s time to contribute my own quota. I’ve been on it for many years. So I just thought that this is the right time.

What do you think you can do as a member of state legislature?

There’s a whole lot. First you need fresh ideas, fresh mind. We need to discuss a whole lot of issues. Basically, I’ll always say, if you’ve stayed a number of years and you’ve not done so much or this is the much you’ve done, then give opportunity to others to do theirs. Because this is nation building we’re talking about. A lot of us have grown, been exposed, been informed, have acquired a lot of knowledge, so to speak. And then we need to gain experience of also being able to lead. And then we’ve been leaders in our little framework, in what we do, so we believe it’s time for some of us who are interested. Now, it’s not for everybody, not everybody is interested, not everyone is serious. But, I can only speak for myself. It’s something I’ve been working on for a couple of years. And we’ve been doing things too on the side. Now is time to affect a vast majority of people. So this is why I’m into politics.

Why did Desmond choose APC?

APC is about change. It’s a new party, it’s a merger of parties, and the manifesto is fantastic. It’s a bit of the ideology. And I believe I’m one of those who stand up for the youths. I will represent the youths, represent my industry as an actor. I believe a lot has to be said for the youths and we don’t have it happening now, happening the way it should. So there’s a lot you can put forward on the table. More so, the fact that we need to grow from somewhere, so I’d rather grow with a party that has experienced people, and has come together to share a common ground.

Say one thing you think about the APC that isn’t right

That isn’t right? That they are not in government right now. That’s not right.

What will Desmond do if he doesn’t win?

I believe in the party. I believe in the manifesto of the party. I believe in the electorate. I’m one who speaks my mind. If there’s a derailment, thank God the party gives you opportunity to talk, so you talk. Oh, we are derailing from what we set out to do. The manifesto is incredible. It promises a million jobs in four years. It promises social welfare which we’ve not had since the period of Jakande, where people actually get a minimum amount of N5000. Now do you know that an average Nigerian’s per capita income is N160? Now we are promising that, including that money you’re earning, we are going to be giving you N5000 every month…to over 25 million people. That’s social welfare. Now, it means, for you not to do that, you have to create jobs. Do you understand? In addition we also talking about low-cost houses. I’m not talking about low-cost houses that rich people will take. The houses will be allocated to the poor. So, we have so much. I can go on and on. So that’s what encouraged me. And I said, this is where I want to be.

Nigerians direct all their criticisms to the executive arm of government. Little is said about the legislature. Is the legislative arm of government really powerful or is it weak?

It is not weak. But you see, because we are very concerned about the basic simple things of life, food, clothes to wear, a roof over our head. Those are things that they look up to people doing administrative work. But the legislative is equally as strong because we have to talk about bills. We have so much. Maybe not as strong as the executive, but then they are just as important.

Why do people like me want to be in the legislative arm? Because there’s a lot of lobbying, a lot interfacing, so you need people like me there. You need people like me there because at the end of the day, it’s the little you can give to your people, to make them happy.

We’ve witnessed a huge turnout of Nollywood stars and Nigerian musicians into politics recently, and there’s this impression that music isn’t selling for them, movies aren’t working for them any longer, hence the rush into politics where the money is. What’s your view on this?

I’ll ask a very simple question: How are they running their campaign? Where is the money? So it’s one thing to say, I want to run for this. The other thing is, how do you sponsor yourself? So if music and films like they say is not moving any more, here’s what I think, here’s what I know. I lot of us have interpersonal relationships via social media, and films and the way we behave. We have interpersonal relationships with the grassroots. So we know how they feel. Now all people from the grassroots can’t come out, some have to come out. And do not forget, entertainment contributed immensely to the growth of the economy by way of employment. We brought in billions of naira in terms of employment, taking people off the streets by giving them jobs.

So tell me why we can’t have one two three four five six, out of the millions of people in that industry, representing that industry, representing people. There’s nothing wrong with it. All I want to say is, which is why this meeting is important, let’s stop criticizing the young people who want to come out. Let’s look at what the people have done before that hasn’t worked and let’s ask those who are coming out, ‘what can you do that’ll be different’? Ask them what can they do that’ll be different. That is one of the reasons why I’m having this interactive session. Because our progress is so derailed, and it’s because our leaders have failed even in giving orientation to the people. Do you understand? Corruption has gone so deep and it’s crazy. That’s why a lot of us now rely on entertainment. Let’s have entertainment, let’s enjoy music, let’s watch films, to just cool ourselves. Meanwhile, you’ve forgotten the fact that you have children who will grow.

Ok. Let’s go national. News broke about two days ago that the government has had a ceasefire deal with Boko Haram. What’s your take on this?

Good news. But let’s see what happens in the next couple of weeks.

That sounds like you don’t believe it?

No no no! It happened the first time, and we waited. We are waiting. But we have to see when there’s peace in the country. We love peace. So let the government do what it takes to make it happen. For me, I’m for our progress. So let’s see how it goes.

So for you it’s not about the political party? It’s about the common good of the nation?

Common good and who can deliver it. If you stay 15 years and you haven’t done it, let someone else try.

We’ve watched you in movies since many years ago, and then just recently, we learnt your name is Olusola. How did that happen?

In all my interviews… all my interviews, when they ask me what my names are, I’ve always mentioned Olusola. But I don’t want to go into the politics of why I had to use Desmond. Because all through my primary school years till I got to the university, I was always known as…I was called Sola. I was called Sola in primary school. Yes. I have my credit card, everything has Sola in my name. Firstly is the fact that I wanted to be seen as a Nigerian, which is why I did Yoruba films, I did Akwa Ibom films, I featured in Igbo films, I speak Hausa. So it was first to decolonize myself. And make everybody see me as a Nigerian, first and foremost. Secondly is, where I was working at, my chosen profession, and where I was getting my work from. I just didn’t want to put any tribalistic thing, so I decided to use my English name. Now, coming to politics, I’m coming back home. A lot of people still know me as Sola. Okay, so I include it. It’s not an adoption just because I’m running in Lagos state. I am a true son of the soil, I’m from Lagos Island and my house is there in Surulere. Anybody can go there to verify. But it still doesn’t change the fact that I am a Nigerian. And then I’m eligible to vote and be voted for.

http://www.ekekeee.com/stop-criticizing-young-people-going-politics-desmond-elliot-tells-nigerians-exclusive-interview-ekekeee/
Re: ‘stop Criticizing Young People Going Into Politics’ – Desmond Elliot by styless(f): 1:54pm On Oct 23, 2014
Desmond Elliot 'Olusola'

Re: ‘stop Criticizing Young People Going Into Politics’ – Desmond Elliot by IfyAwazie(f): 2:07pm On Oct 23, 2014
The pics is nice, but the story is too long.
Re: ‘stop Criticizing Young People Going Into Politics’ – Desmond Elliot by samseen02(m): 2:16pm On Oct 23, 2014
issokay! Meself go soon join d campaign train

(1) (Reply)

Folorunsho Alakija Is 9thrichest Woman In The World! / Pastor And His Accomplices Arrested Over Fake Miracle / [photos] Baby North West Having A Good Giggle Take A Look

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 179
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.