Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,740 members, 7,817,040 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:23 AM

Toyota Camry 2007 V6 SE Flaring On 3rd Gear When Engine Is Not Warm - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Toyota Camry 2007 V6 SE Flaring On 3rd Gear When Engine Is Not Warm (3669 Views)

Radiator Fan Constantly Running (even When Engine Is Off) / When Engine Oil Dip Stick Smells Of Petrol. / My Car Won't Start When The Engine Is Cold, Why? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Toyota Camry 2007 V6 SE Flaring On 3rd Gear When Engine Is Not Warm by defhenry(m): 11:23am On Oct 24, 2014
Guys, my camry 2007 gear flares on the third gear but stops after the car has been driven for a while.
i have changed the gear oil to the recommended Toyota ATF WS, but this stopped the flaring for a week, any ideas what could be wrong?
Re: Toyota Camry 2007 V6 SE Flaring On 3rd Gear When Engine Is Not Warm by GAZZUZZ(m): 12:18pm On Oct 24, 2014
defhenry:
Guys, my camry 2007 gear flares on the third gear but stops after the car has been driven for a while.
i have changed the gear oil to the recommended Toyota ATF WS, but this stopped the flaring for a week, any ideas what could be wrong?

Please forgive my ignorance, but what is FLARING?

2 Likes

Re: Toyota Camry 2007 V6 SE Flaring On 3rd Gear When Engine Is Not Warm by Nobody: 12:22pm On Oct 24, 2014
GAZZUZZ:

Please forgive my ignorance, but what is FLARING?

Maybe he meant it keeps revving hard and the sound gets loud. The sound synonymous with manual tranny when you keep depressing the throttle but don't wish to change gear to a higher ratio.

#just assuming though
Re: Toyota Camry 2007 V6 SE Flaring On 3rd Gear When Engine Is Not Warm by GAZZUZZ(m): 12:28pm On Oct 24, 2014
lomomike:

Maybe he meant it keeps revving hard and the sound gets loud. The sound synonymous with manual tranny when you keep depressing the throttle but don't wish to change gear to a higher ratio.

#just assuming though

Me I thought it was a technical term in automobile repairs, I even googled it but nah oil and gas matter I see. grin

4 Likes

Re: Toyota Camry 2007 V6 SE Flaring On 3rd Gear When Engine Is Not Warm by defhenry(m): 1:04pm On Oct 24, 2014
Re: Toyota Camry 2007 V6 SE Flaring On 3rd Gear When Engine Is Not Warm by defhenry(m): 1:05pm On Oct 24, 2014
defhenry:
http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/diesel-discussion/187808-transmission-flare-what-do-i-have.htmlttp://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/diesel-discussion/187808-transmission-flare-what-do-i-have.htmlttp://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/diesel-discussion/187808-transmission-flare-what-do-i-have.htmlquote author=GAZZUZZ post=27411491]

Me I thought it was a technical term in automobile repairs, I even googled it but nah oil and gas matter I see. grin
Check d link below for description of flaring

what I mean is that the car revs for some seconds before the gear engages
Re: Toyota Camry 2007 V6 SE Flaring On 3rd Gear When Engine Is Not Warm by defhenry(m): 1:07pm On Oct 24, 2014
GAZZUZZ:

and yes boss, its a techie term, lol....
you can google transmission flare
Re: Toyota Camry 2007 V6 SE Flaring On 3rd Gear When Engine Is Not Warm by mayor2013: 1:09pm On Oct 24, 2014
Go run a scan. Am suspecting your throttle body
Re: Toyota Camry 2007 V6 SE Flaring On 3rd Gear When Engine Is Not Warm by GAZZUZZ(m): 1:10pm On Oct 24, 2014
defhenry:

what I mean is that the car revs for some seconds before the gear engages

Your tranny is slipping, change transmission oil, if it does not work, replace transmission.
Re: Toyota Camry 2007 V6 SE Flaring On 3rd Gear When Engine Is Not Warm by defhenry(m): 1:43pm On Oct 24, 2014
Changed the transmission oil and it went smooth for about a week, and its back to the same ol.
only happenswhen d car is not really warm, I see its a common problem with this model, but havent really seen a good solution online.
just ordered a scanner from konga, the elm327 bluetooth scanner, anyone knows how good it is

Your tranny is slipping, change transmission oil, if it does not work, replace transmission.[/quote]
Re: Toyota Camry 2007 V6 SE Flaring On 3rd Gear When Engine Is Not Warm by Nobody: 3:25pm On Oct 24, 2014
defhenry:
Changed the transmission oil and it went smooth for about a week, and its back to the same ol.
only happenswhen d car is not really warm, I see its a common problem with this model, but havent really seen a good solution online.
just ordered a scanner from konga, the elm327 bluetooth scanner, anyone knows how good it is

What type of ATF did you buy, why did you chAnge the former oil?

ELM327 is a basic bluetooth scanner, I use it too.
Re: Toyota Camry 2007 V6 SE Flaring On 3rd Gear When Engine Is Not Warm by mdenigma(m): 4:20pm On Oct 24, 2014
I noticed this too on my 2008 lexus es350. It only happens in the mornings before the engine warms up where the rpm goes between 3500 and 4000 before it engages the 3rd and 4th gears. That's a flare. if your engine is same as mine ( 3.5l v6 2gr-fe matched with a 6 speed transmission) then its a common issue. I found out on clublexus.com that this problem is common to this particular transmission. No known cause or fix but its not usually catastrophic. kindly share any additional info you get with us
Re: Toyota Camry 2007 V6 SE Flaring On 3rd Gear When Engine Is Not Warm by defhenry(m): 4:28pm On Oct 24, 2014
I bought the toyota ATF WS. Changed the oil when i noticed it started flaring and this was barely two months ago. Bought two cans of the ATF as i thought it will need more than 4liters for a simple drain and refill, so i have another 4l left here at home.
im actually thinking of doing another drain and refill
lomomike:

What type of ATF did you buy, why did you chAnge the former oil?

ELM327 is a basic bluetooth scanner, I use it too.
Re: Toyota Camry 2007 V6 SE Flaring On 3rd Gear When Engine Is Not Warm by defhenry(m): 4:34pm On Oct 24, 2014
this is exactly what it does, and we have the same engine/transmission. Like you stated, it only happens in the mornings, or after the car has been parked for hours, and flares at the same RPM range (3500-4000) on the 3rd n 4th gears, however, once its warmed up, its as smooth as ever. I have searched Google to no end, even toyotanation......its like a basic design flaw, just want to be sure im not missing something and my tranny isnt getting fried.
My brother, if you too find a solution, please post it here, im sure there are tonnes of other people with the same problem that do not notice or have decided to live with it.
mdenigma:
I noticed this too on my 2008 lexus es350. It only happens in the mornings before the engine warms up where the rpm goes between 3500 and 4000 before it engages the 3rd and 4th gears. That's a flare. if your engine is same as mine ( 3.5l v6 2gr-fe matched with a 6 speed transmission) then its a common issue. I found out on clublexus.com that this problem is common to this particular transmission. No known cause or fix but its not usually catastrophic. kindly share any additional info you get with us
Re: Toyota Camry 2007 V6 SE Flaring On 3rd Gear When Engine Is Not Warm by defhenry(m): 10:52pm On Oct 24, 2014
No further commentshmmm...........
Siena, CarDoc etc...where r u guys?
Re: Toyota Camry 2007 V6 SE Flaring On 3rd Gear When Engine Is Not Warm by defhenry(m): 2:55pm On Oct 25, 2014
Well, my scanner arrived today and i scanned the car. Got the following error codes;
P0401
P2803
C1203
C1403
C1600

Im doing my research already, and found the P0401 is an error code associated with the EGR valve. Will attempt to clean it up today.
Any help with these codes will be appreciated
Re: Toyota Camry 2007 V6 SE Flaring On 3rd Gear When Engine Is Not Warm by defhenry(m): 10:19pm On Oct 25, 2014
defhenry:
Re: Toyota Camry 2007 V6 SE Flaring On 3rd Gear When Engine Is Not Warm by defhenry(m): 10:23pm On Oct 25, 2014
defhenry:
Well, my scanner arrived today and i scanned the car. Got the following error codes;
P0401
P2803: P2803 - Transmission Range Sensor 'B' Circuit High. Not much i can find online for this. Could it be that when the transmission fluid drain was carried out, the mechanic didnt fix the sensor back properly?
(Read more: http://engine-codes.com/p2803.html#ixzz3HC4o5xGA)
C1203
C1403
C1600

Im doing my research already, and found the P0401 is an error code associated with the EGR valve. Will attempt to clean it up today.
Any help with these codes will be appreciated
Re: Toyota Camry 2007 V6 SE Flaring On 3rd Gear When Engine Is Not Warm by mdenigma(m): 2:06pm On Oct 26, 2014
if I may ask. would a scan reveal anything (trouble codes) even if the CEL isn't on?
I was of the impression that if I don't get a CEL I don't need a scan.
Kindly enlighten me on this
Re: Toyota Camry 2007 V6 SE Flaring On 3rd Gear When Engine Is Not Warm by GAZZUZZ(m): 3:26pm On Oct 26, 2014
mdenigma:
if I may ask. would a scan reveal anything (trouble codes) even if the CEL isn't on?
I was of the impression that if I don't get a CEL I don't need a scan.
Kindly enlighten me on this

If you do not have your cel light up, but have a problem with your car (permenent or intermittent) your best bet is a live scan of real time data from the sensors, that way and experienced technician can easily pic out what is out of place, and solve the problem easily.
Re: Toyota Camry 2007 V6 SE Flaring On 3rd Gear When Engine Is Not Warm by mdenigma(m): 3:03pm On Oct 30, 2014
Here's what I found from other lexus es350 users on clublexus.com. The transmission flare can be resolved by running your transmission through all the gears before moving every morning. It takes about 10 seconds. With the engine running shift through P to R,N,D then 4,5,6 then return to P.I assume your transmission is Manumatic. I've tried it for 3 days and it works.

1 Like

Re: Toyota Camry 2007 V6 SE Flaring On 3rd Gear When Engine Is Not Warm by defhenry(m): 11:13am On Nov 01, 2014
thank boss, will try it out tomorrow morning
mdenigma:
Here's what I found from other lexus es350 users on clublexus.com. The transmission flare can be resolved by running your transmission through all the gears before moving every morning. It takes about 10 seconds. With the engine running shift through P to R,N,D then 4,5,6 then return to P.I assume your transmission is Manumatic. I've tried it for 3 days and it works.

(1) (Reply)

What Do You Think About This Bmw. Epic Rice ;d ;d ;d / New Chinese Traffic Light In Abuja To Be Avoided By All Means. / Problem With '07 Nissan Maxima Gear

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.