Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,846 members, 7,820,948 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 04:39 AM

New Study Reveals That Gossiping About Other People Boosts Self Esteem - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / New Study Reveals That Gossiping About Other People Boosts Self Esteem (576 Views)

"Nigerians Are Not All Scammers And Fraudsters" Swiss Woman Reveals (VIDEO) / Men Spend More Time Gossiping Than Women –study / Do All Introverts Have Low Self Esteem? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

New Study Reveals That Gossiping About Other People Boosts Self Esteem by mahyorwah21(m): 11:29am On Oct 25, 2014
Pope Francis recently warned gossip 'fills the heart
with bitterness and also poisons us'.
But according to a new study, gossiping may in fact
be good for our self-esteem because it allows us to
compare ourselves to others.
A group of Dutch researchers have found out that
hearing positive and negative gossip about another
individual boosts self-reflection and self-evaluation.
Elena Martinescu at the University of Groningen said:
'Women who receive negative gossip experience
higher self-protection concerns possibly because
they believe they might experience a similar fate
as the person being the target of the gossip. Men
who receive positive gossip experience higher
fear, perhaps because upward social comparisons
with competitors are threatening.'
Professor Martinescu added gossip provided
individuals with indirect social comparison
information and provides an essential resource to
reflect on their behavior. She suggested that rather
than trying to block out gossip, we should 'accept
gossip as a natural part of our lives and receive it
with a critical attitude regarding the
consequences it may have on ourselves and on
others.'
Do you agree? I don't
Re: New Study Reveals That Gossiping About Other People Boosts Self Esteem by Nobody: 11:31am On Oct 25, 2014
Nope i dont...
Re: New Study Reveals That Gossiping About Other People Boosts Self Esteem by Idrismusty97(m): 11:33am On Oct 25, 2014
I agreed. It makes them feel better about their pathetic life.... Lol
Re: New Study Reveals That Gossiping About Other People Boosts Self Esteem by mahyorwah21(m): 11:35am On Oct 25, 2014
Idrismusty97:
I agreed. It makes them feel better about their pathetic life.... Lol
Abi na
Re: New Study Reveals That Gossiping About Other People Boosts Self Esteem by mperoakeem(m): 12:03pm On Oct 25, 2014
y i go agree...

(1) (Reply)

Ever Mistakenly Transferred Airtime To Someone Else? / No More Okadafg To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide / Pls Unban Me, I Was Banned By Auntyspermboat!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 7
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.