Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,507 members, 7,819,838 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:11 AM

Is It Compulsory For Stundent To Pay Tithes In Church - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is It Compulsory For Stundent To Pay Tithes In Church (1042 Views)

Why Do People Find It Difficult To Pay TITHES? / Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles / Does Bill Gates, Richard Branson And Oprah Winfrey Pay Tithes? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Compulsory For Stundent To Pay Tithes In Church by pamcode(m): 7:11am On Oct 26, 2014
Good morning everyone ,happy sunday.I would like to throw a question to my fellow christians that is it compulsory or a must for stundents to pay tithes. Thanks
Re: Is It Compulsory For Stundent To Pay Tithes In Church by YungwizzzyPt7: 7:20am On Oct 26, 2014
If you are making money in school yes

if you depend on your on guardian you don't have to pay
Re: Is It Compulsory For Stundent To Pay Tithes In Church by Krak(m): 7:48am On Oct 26, 2014
It is not compulsory for anyone to pay tithe in Churches.
Re: Is It Compulsory For Stundent To Pay Tithes In Church by pamcode(m): 7:48am On Oct 26, 2014
YungwizzzyPt7:

okay thanks i appreciate it
Re: Is It Compulsory For Stundent To Pay Tithes In Church by Ukutsgp(m): 7:55am On Oct 26, 2014
Christians don't pay tithe. What we do is voluntary giving.
Re: Is It Compulsory For Stundent To Pay Tithes In Church by Nobody: 7:57am On Oct 26, 2014
undecided undecided Heeeen tithe abii watin u call am......I dy work
Re: Is It Compulsory For Stundent To Pay Tithes In Church by Nobody: 8:06am On Oct 26, 2014
I think so its not necessarily when you make money b4 u pay tithe as for me am a student and I pay tithe frequently
Re: Is It Compulsory For Stundent To Pay Tithes In Church by Tallesty1(m): 8:16am On Oct 26, 2014
pamcode:
Good morning everyone ,happy sunday.I would like to throw a question to my fellow christians that is it compulsory or a must for stundents to pay tithes. Thanks
It is not compulsory for anybody to pay tithe. 2 Corinthians 9:7 Each one must give as he has decided in his heart, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.
Re: Is It Compulsory For Stundent To Pay Tithes In Church by pamcode(m): 10:14am On Oct 26, 2014
Tallesty1:
It is not compulsory for anybody to pay tithe. 2 Corinthians 9:7 Each one must give as he has decided in his heart, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.
but tithe is part of the law of moses are you saying it should be scrapped
Re: Is It Compulsory For Stundent To Pay Tithes In Church by Tallesty1(m): 11:20am On Oct 26, 2014
pamcode:
but tithe is part of the law of moses are you saying it should be scrapped
Bible says so.

Not me
Re: Is It Compulsory For Stundent To Pay Tithes In Church by mesoade(m): 11:38am On Oct 26, 2014
Tallesty1:
Bible says so.

Not me
the bible said you should bring 1/10 of your earnings(money, farm products,e.t.c) to the church.(old testament).
But the new testament didn't even mention 1/10(not sure) . . But that God loves a cheerful giver. . .
And since jesus didn't come to scrap the law of moses but to ammend it,it's logical for us to accept the new testament's version.
Mind you,it's thesame bible that said and i quote "you all say u don't steal from me,but you rub me in my tithes (not verbatim)"
Re: Is It Compulsory For Stundent To Pay Tithes In Church by Tallesty1(m): 12:38pm On Oct 26, 2014
mesoade:
the bible said you should bring 1/10 of your earnings(money, farm products,e.t.c) to the church.(old testament).
Sure............ It said so but it didn't say that you should give it to pastors/priests. Pastors are allowed to take only a tithe of the whole tithes.grin. Let the bible speak.
Deut.14:23 And thou shalt eat before the Lord thy God, in the place which He shall choose to place His name there, the tithe of thy corn, of thy wine, and of thine oil, and the firstlings of thy herds; that thou mayest learn to fear the Lord thy God always.

Who is eating the tithe? Not the Levite, not the priest! Who then? Let the bible speak again.

Deut.14:24 And if the way be too long for thee, so that thou art not able to carry it; or if the place be too far from thee, which the Lord thy God shall choose to set His name there, when the Lord thy God hath blessed thee;
25Then shalt thou turn it into money, and bind up the money in thine hand, and shalt go unto the place which the Lord thy God shall choose:
26And thou shalt bestow that money for whatsoever thy soul lusteth after, for oxen, or for sheep, or for wine, or for strong drink, or for whatsoever thy soul desireth: and thou shalt eat there before the Lord thy God, and thou shalt rejoice, thou, and thine household
Do you see the difference? Tithing now and then are not thesame

mesoade:
But the new testament didn't even mention 1/10(not sure) . . But that God loves a cheerful giver
. . .So where does this leave tithing? The answer is - where it began.

Tithing started as an instinctive offering of gratitude by Abraham to Melchizedek. They were a free will offering that Abraham instinctively knew he should give. He did it willingly. It happened before the law came.
mesoade:
And since jesus didn't come to scrap the law of moses but to ammend it,it's logical for us to accept the new testament's version.

Galatians 3:23-25
23 Before this faith came, we were held prisoners by the law, locked up until faith should be revealed. 24 So the law was put in charge to lead us to Christ that we might be justified by faith. 25 Now that faith has come, we are no longer under the supervision of the law.
mesoade:
Mind you, it's thesame bible that said and i quote "you all say u don't steal from me, but you rub me in my tithes (not verbatim)"
We are not under law. We have a better covenant. God's love has been poured into our heart. As God speaks to your heart you will find the amount you give to His work increase.

1 Like

Re: Is It Compulsory For Stundent To Pay Tithes In Church by asudan: 1:39pm On Oct 26, 2014
Ukutsgp:
Christians don't pay tithe. What we do is voluntary giving.
Please speak for yourself don't generalise the whole thing. Voluntary giving is different from tithing and you're not forced to that.
Re: Is It Compulsory For Stundent To Pay Tithes In Church by asamaigho(m): 1:45pm On Oct 26, 2014
YungwizzzyPt7:

nope...christians shouldnt pay tithe...
Re: Is It Compulsory For Stundent To Pay Tithes In Church by asudan: 1:50pm On Oct 26, 2014
pamcode:
As far as any income enters your pocket, you tithe to your maker. Give cheerfully not grudgingly because the lord love a cheerful giver. The Scripture still stands that states you should bring your tithe in the lords house. You have the choice to decide which part to follow. The Scriptures made it clear in the summary of the law that if you love me, you will keep my commandment and which is love the lord with all your heart and love your neighbour as yourself.if you love the lord then you will hearken to his command in line with his word Malachi 3:8-10.Don't let anyone deceive you that will aren't under the law because Christ didn't come to change the law. The lord shall judge his people according the scriptures both old and new testament. Happy days ahead
Re: Is It Compulsory For Stundent To Pay Tithes In Church by trustman: 2:28pm On Oct 26, 2014
Pamcode:

The Christian of today needs to know that not every directive in the OT pertains to him or is to be observed by him. 
He therefore needs to know which directive still applies to him in the church age and which one doesn't. 
A quick start is to see if the Apostles have anything to say about it. 

So, when it comes to GIVING what can the Christian glean from the lives and writings of the NT to Christians. 
Is it anything like we find in the OT, which had varied forms of giving whether pre-law or after the Law was given, or is it something completely different. 
What objective conclusion can the Christian come to?

One of the conclusions today's Christian can easily come to is that the NT has enough to say about the Christian's relationship with the OT. 
Another conclusion he can arrive at is that KEY issues relating to the Christian way of life are spelt out in the NT. Believers are now under the New Covenant of Grace, and are subject neither to pre-law customs, such as in Abraham’s day, nor the ordinances of Mosaic Law. 

One of the key things regarding Christian GIVING is that it is to be a gracious response to the grace of God the Christian has experienced. There is no compulsion in it. There is NO DEMAND placed on the Christian to give. He can choose what to give. He can equally decide HOW to give. Christian giving IS NOT LEGISLATED. No burden is placed on the Christian regarding giving. 

Therefore, when a church directs,insists manipulates OR COERCES members to give (whether it is freewill offering or tithe) that makes it anti grace. 
In the same vein when a Christian gives apart from a grace expression he is giving with a wrong motive and that giving is also anti grace. 

Sadly much of what goes for giving and tithing today fall under acts done with wrong motives and do not fall in line with the NT prescription for giving. Tithing in particular is propagated through coercion. What you find is a resort to the OT to justify it when NO SINGLE word in the New even suggests it for the Christian. 
For majority of those who tithe, if they are to be honest with themselves and open to others, their reasons for tithing is either to escape a possible negative consequence which is driven by fear (fear of some physical loss, loss of heaven, etc), or on the other hand a belief that God can be made (tricked?) to give back a physical reward to the giver. None of these is a genuine motivation to give. 

Those principles in the law still required for today are certainly found in the New Testament epistles. And in the epistles we find that tithing, like Sabbath observance and animal sacrifices, is never imposed on the believer. To the extent that tithing IS NOT PRESCRIBED ANYWHERE IN THE NEW TESTAMENT EPISTLES we can safely say that it is no longer compulsory for the Christian today.

To insist that the Christian (not the Jew or Israel) is required to pay tithe today when no portion of the Bible states so is a great perversion of scripture. To seek through all kinds of gimmicks to force the believer to do that which God himself has not stated is nothing but downright EVIL.

1 Like

Re: Is It Compulsory For Stundent To Pay Tithes In Church by pamcode(m): 2:37pm On Oct 26, 2014
thanks to all those who commented i appreciate it
Re: Is It Compulsory For Stundent To Pay Tithes In Church by Ukutsgp(m): 3:55pm On Oct 26, 2014
asudan:

Please speak for yourself don't generalise the whole thing. Voluntary giving is different from tithing and you're not forced to that.
i am speaking for all Christians including u.
Re: Is It Compulsory For Stundent To Pay Tithes In Church by gebest: 6:28pm On Oct 26, 2014
Tallesty1:
Sure............ It said so but it didn't say that you should give it to pastors/priests. Pastors are allowed to take only a tithe of the whole tithes.grin. Let the bible speak.
Deut.14:23 And thou shalt eat before the Lord thy God, in the place which He shall choose to place His name there, the tithe of thy corn, of thy wine, and of thine oil, and the firstlings of thy herds; that thou mayest learn to fear the Lord thy God always.

Who is eating the tithe? Not the Levite, not the priest! Who then? Let the bible speak again.

Deut.14:24 And if the way be too long for thee, so that thou art not able to carry it; or if the place be too far from thee, which the Lord thy God shall choose to set His name there, when the Lord thy God hath blessed thee;
25Then shalt thou turn it into money, and bind up the money in thine hand, and shalt go unto the place which the Lord thy God shall choose:
26And thou shalt bestow that money for whatsoever thy soul lusteth after, for oxen, or for sheep, or for wine, or for strong drink, or for whatsoever thy soul desireth: and thou shalt eat there before the Lord thy God, and thou shalt rejoice, thou, and thine household
Do you see the difference? Tithing now and then are not thesame

. . .So where does this leave tithing? The answer is - where it began.

Tithing started as an instinctive offering of gratitude by Abraham to Melchizedek. They were a free will offering that Abraham instinctively knew he should give. He did it willingly. It happened before the law came.

Galatians 3:23-25
23 Before this faith came, we were held prisoners by the law, locked up until faith should be revealed. 24 So the law was put in charge to lead us to Christ that we might be justified by faith. 25 Now that faith has come, we are no longer under the supervision of the law.
We are not under law. We have a better covenant. God's love has been poured into our heart. As God speaks to your heart you will find the amount you give to His work increase.

(1) (Reply)

He'd Not Take Alcohol - See Why! / In The Light Of Truth (the Grail Message) / Muslims Cries Out “ We Are Tired Of Islamic Religion” We Need Jesus

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.