Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,160 members, 7,825,634 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 07:24 PM

Is Your Self-awareness Tank Nearly Empty? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Is Your Self-awareness Tank Nearly Empty? (412 Views)

Become Your Self's Boss....ways To Becoming An Enterpreneur / Design Your Accounting Package By Your Self Using Microsoft Excel. / Stop The Job Search Be You Own Boss,print Recharge Cards Your Self (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Is Your Self-awareness Tank Nearly Empty? by Wumivic(m): 2:55pm On Oct 28, 2014
How many times in the academic process do we ask students to describe themselves?
Yet, this is the hallmark first question of many interviews, and a great metaphor for the job search in general:
“So, tell me about yourself.”

Whoa! This is a whole new level of self-awareness that grads don’t typically learn in school.
In job search preparation I often ask clients to describe themselves, and I can tell immediately that many simply haven’t done that kind of homework. Frankly, they've never needed to.

But how does this show up in the job search? Well, everywhere:
• It’s difficult to develop a job search strategy when you don’t know who you are, what you are looking for, and the kind of work you might find satisfying.
• It’s hard to write a resume when you don’t know how to describe yourself.
• It’s impossible to succeed at an interview when you can’t translate who you are and what you offer into a “value proposition” for an employer.
• It’s difficult to answer the question, “Why should I hire you?” when you don’t really know why an employer should, other than it would put money in your bank account.

The Solution: Get Clear on Your Identity and Messaging to Construct Good Marketing Materials.
1. Get into self-assessment land and learn as much about yourself, your strengths, your desired workplace qualities and how you’ll add value. If necessary, contract with a career counselor or someone who can help with this work.
2. Find self-help books to develop your personal profile.
3. Based on your findings, develop clear messages about who you are and the value proposition you represent.
4. Create compelling marketing materials that support your messages and attract employers.

Interested in learning how to excel in your career and land a great job?! Kindly visit: [url]http://thecareerpublications.com/excellentcareerhandbook.html
[/url]

(1) (Reply)

The Globalstudent Entrepreneur Awards / Help: Looking For A Technician Job. / Professional Caterer Urgently Needed In Osun State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 7
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.