Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,557 members, 7,820,013 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:27 AM

Why Did You Choose To Be An Athiest? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Did You Choose To Be An Athiest? (8972 Views)

How To Debate Or Argue With An Athiest / I Am Proudly An Athiest, Are You? , Let's Meet Here / HELP!..,...I Don't Want To Become An Athiest! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Did You Choose To Be An Athiest? by lastmessenger: 7:44am On Nov 01, 2014
Beretta92:
If I ever believe in god again, it would never be the Christian god or any personal/anthropomorphic god for that matter. Such gods don't exist.
Ok let time and event determine.
Re: Why Did You Choose To Be An Athiest? by lastmessenger: 7:58am On Nov 01, 2014
qstar:

Do you believe that God(Yahweh) fought for the Israelites, the same way God(Allah) is fighting for Boko Haram?
I don't believe that God is fighting for bokoharam. God in the past fought for the people of Israel because every other nation then were his enemy. So he fought for the people Israel but now through Christ God has made peace and reconciled the whole to himself. He is no longer fighting against people rather he is going out to save people.
Re: Why Did You Choose To Be An Athiest? by Misogynist2014(m): 1:19pm On Nov 01, 2014
Beretta92:
Well, Christianity isn't an African thing either. For me, I can't say I chose to become an atheist. In fact, I wanted to remain a Christian and deep down I wanted to believe in god. You know, the idea of a loving super father who cares for you is a very soothing one, especially in this part of the world. But in my everyday life, I found stark contradictions between reality and what the Bible and the church said. Praying was tantamount to talking to the air. No evidence of a god in our lives. No god anywhere around us. I became really distraught and confused. I wanted to believe in god but reality stared me in the eye. I eventually became an atheist after an intense struggle.

Atheism for me is a consequence of the compendium of all my life experiences, observations, thoughts, etc. Several of which were determined by forces beyond me. I never planned or chose how my life would play out. In fact, a few years ago I couldn't even understand how anyone could be an atheist. I'd read books that recounted stories of famous "atheists" that attempted to repent while on their death beds. And they were all said to have gone to hell. I remember some books that referred to Robert Ingersoll as a very "wicked" man. I even opened a thread asking atheists what they'd do in the face of death.The responses I got amazed me. Plaetton said something about me not understanding what it meant to be an atheist and a host of other things. Truly, I didn't understand then but now I perfectly do. I don't know how to make long, elaborate and sophisticated arguments like several chiefs on here but I do know now what it means to be an atheist. I faced what seemed like certain death recently and even though thoughts of "repenting" before dying crossed my mind( no thanks to my former hyper religious life), I brushed it off while awaiting death. That would have been unthinkable and impossible a few years back.
Pls, if God didn't create the world, who did?
Re: Why Did You Choose To Be An Athiest? by Nobody: 1:46pm On Nov 01, 2014
Misogynist2014:
Why do you think "someone" has to create the world for the world to exist? If god created the world, then who created god?

4 Likes

Re: Why Did You Choose To Be An Athiest? by Misogynist2014(m): 2:10pm On Nov 01, 2014
Beretta92:
Why do you think "someone" has to create the world for the world to exist? If god created the world, then who created god?
Does nothing exist? If it doesn't, why does it have a name?
Re: Why Did You Choose To Be An Athiest? by Misogynist2014(m): 2:22pm On Nov 01, 2014
Beretta92:
If God doesn't exist, who created magic and how does rat turn to bird? Pls don't give me silly excuse for not answering me, go to anywhere sango worshippers perform, they swallow fire, eat inedible objects, carry mortar with their mouth.
Re: Why Did You Choose To Be An Athiest? by Misogynist2014(m): 2:34pm On Nov 01, 2014
@Beretta92 , I haven't even asked you hard questions. cheesy
Re: Why Did You Choose To Be An Athiest? by Misogynist2014(m): 2:40pm On Nov 01, 2014
Atheists are a pitiable bunch of fööls, I haven't encountered just one with a good sense of reasoning. cry
Re: Why Did You Choose To Be An Athiest? by Nobody: 2:43pm On Nov 01, 2014
If you're looking for someone to have the usual back and forth with, I am not that guy. You can believe whatever you want to believe. None of my beeswax.

1 Like

Re: Why Did You Choose To Be An Athiest? by Femmymata2(m): 3:37pm On Nov 01, 2014
It is understandable if thiest find it difficult to fathom the position of an agnostic/athiest. Athiesm is a state of mind, it is a self discovery. It doesn't encourage close-mindness, i'm a free-thinker and opened to corrections when facts are presented. Man dön't have sufficient answers for now about the supernatural

2 Likes

Re: Why Did You Choose To Be An Athiest? by lastmessenger: 4:34pm On Nov 01, 2014
Beretta92:
Yes we know that God is the creator of the world but how God came to be is the knowledge that is beyond human understanding.
Humans asking how God came to be is just like my pet dog asking how I came into the world.No matter how the Dog tries to find out that knowledge will remain illusive to the dog because dogs and human do not relate at the same level.

2 Likes

Re: Why Did You Choose To Be An Athiest? by Weah96: 6:09pm On Nov 01, 2014
lastmessenger:

Yes we know that God is the creator of the world but how God came to be is the knowledge that is beyond human understanding.

We don't understand a lot of things about religion, not just that.

Why does this God choose to remain invisible and inaudible?

Why dictate a book to a handful of bronze age men, when he could just as easily speak to everyone, even today?

Why is the book full of lies, about everything?

1 Like

Re: Why Did You Choose To Be An Athiest? by plaetton: 6:13pm On Nov 01, 2014
Misogynist2014:
Does nothing exist? If it doesn't, why does it have a name?

Wow!
What an Einstein question.

1 Like

Re: Why Did You Choose To Be An Athiest? by Misogynist2014(m): 6:28pm On Nov 01, 2014
plaetton:

Wow!
What an Einstein question.
DO YOU HAVE AN ANSWER? angry
Re: Why Did You Choose To Be An Athiest? by plaetton: 6:43pm On Nov 01, 2014
Misogynist2014:

DO YOU HAVE AN ANSWER? angry

No dear.
I am so flummoxed by the question, I could not possible attempt an answer.

1 Like

Re: Why Did You Choose To Be An Athiest? by Misogynist2014(m): 6:48pm On Nov 01, 2014
plaetton:

No dear.
I am so flummoxed by the question, I could not possible attempt an answer.
What of the second?
Re: Why Did You Choose To Be An Athiest? by asalimpo(m): 7:03pm On Nov 01, 2014
Weah96:

Why dictate a book to a handful of bronze age men, when he could just as easily speak to everyone, even today?

God is a spirit. (John 4:24).
And so are you. God hasnt chosen to remain invisible.
His spiritual properties make him invisble (to d human eye).
If you could see into d spirit realm, you may not want to live anymore. You can actually operate in d spirit world-illegally.
What is required is your soul and spirit to be joined together. Thruogh satan's help ofcourse.
Then you probably wont b an atheist anymore.
Som mystic groups and societies could show you how.

For the rest of us- we gat the word of God. We gat the mandate to believe without seeing(physcally) , we got d empowerment to do so ,faith.

Why doesnt God deal with us physcally?
I'll admit that physcal senses are very convincg, so convcg its hard to try to operate without their feedback, but the christian life is a re orientation to operate as the REAL you. As a spirit, using spiritual weapons and tools.
Since d real you is a spirit, God refuses to deal with man on an inferior level-flesh level.
You cant discern d spiritual with ur five senses. But a spirit can affect d five senses.
Re: Why Did You Choose To Be An Athiest? by Kay17: 8:44pm On Nov 01, 2014
Misogynist2014:

But you were not a witness therefore you have no direct evidence that God created the Universe.

1 Like

Re: Why Did You Choose To Be An Athiest? by Kay17: 8:52pm On Nov 01, 2014
lastmessenger:

Humans asking how God came to be is just like my pet dog asking how I came into the world.No matter how the Dog tries to find out that knowledge will remain illusive to the dog because dogs and human do not relate at the same level.

There is no common agreement between us that God created the Universe, that's why we are arguing here; so we don't know God is the creator.

My view, is you have a primitive mind which is unable to imagine a naturalistic universe. You are like our ancestors who couldn't shake off the conviction that everything was anthropomorphic

2 Likes

Re: Why Did You Choose To Be An Athiest? by Infomizer(m): 10:33pm On Nov 01, 2014
Sunymoore:
how is the Bible an authentic source?

Because the bible says so....#TeamPetitoPrincipe

grin

1 Like

Re: Why Did You Choose To Be An Athiest? by lastmessenger: 10:53pm On Nov 01, 2014
Kay17:

There is no common agreement between us that God created the Universe, that's why we are arguing here; so we don't know God is the creator.

My view, is you have a primitive mind which is unable to imagine a naturalistic universe. You are like our ancestors who couldn't shake off the conviction that everything was anthropomorphic
I think the person who is more primitive is that guy who believes he is smart but hold the belief that he just came to existence as a result of chance.You believe that nothing brought about something and that is how you came to exist( what a silly thought)
Re: Why Did You Choose To Be An Athiest? by lastmessenger: 10:55pm On Nov 01, 2014
Weah96:

You see lies and we see truth. Two different views.

Re: Why Did You Choose To Be An Athiest? by Kay17: 12:28am On Nov 02, 2014
lastmessenger:

I think the person who is more primitive is that guy who believes he is smart but hold the belief that he just came to existence as a result of chance.You believe that nothing brought about something and that is how you came to exist( what a silly thought)

Don't be ignorant. The biggest and most fundamental question that bothers all humans, is "why Something exists rather than Nothing" and the question is not answered by saying God created the Universe. So you don't know how/why we are here, because it is the most enduring question. Most we freethinkers are not as shallow as you "people" and hesitate to make hasty conclusions.

1 Like

Re: Why Did You Choose To Be An Athiest? by lastmessenger: 7:00am On Nov 02, 2014
Kay17:

Don't be ignorant. The biggest and most fundamental question that bothers all humans, is "why Something exists rather than Nothing" and the question is not answered by saying God created the Universe. So you don't know how/why we are here, because it is the most enduring question. Most we freethinkers are not as shallow as you "people" and hesitate to make hasty conclusions.
Free thinkers? We who have faith in God are deep and spiritual thinkers.the first law of motion states that a bony that is moving will continue to move unless an external force acts on it.My science background makes me think the Big Bang may be right but my faith tells me that the force of God is the driver of Big Bang.
Re: Why Did You Choose To Be An Athiest? by Infomizer(m): 7:25am On Nov 02, 2014
lastmessenger:

Bro, somehow, EVERYONE believes that something came out of nothing. EVERYONE!

1 Like

Re: Why Did You Choose To Be An Athiest? by lastmessenger: 7:52am On Nov 02, 2014
Infomizer:

Bro, somehow, EVERYONE believes that something came out of nothing. EVERYONE!
christians does not hold such belief. We believe that everything come out of God.
Re: Why Did You Choose To Be An Athiest? by Kay17: 10:17am On Nov 02, 2014
lastmessenger:

Free thinkers? We who have faith in God are deep and spiritual thinkers.the first law of motion states that a bony that is moving will continue to move unless an external force acts on it.My science background makes me think the Big Bang may be right but my faith tells me that the force of God is the driver of Big Bang.

Can you say with the same solid conviction that God is the immediate cause of the Universe, and what is the evidence thereof.

Secondly, why is there existence at all, why not emptiness?!

1 Like

Re: Why Did You Choose To Be An Athiest? by lastmessenger: 10:27am On Nov 02, 2014
Kay17:

Can you say with the same solid conviction that God is the immediate cause of the Universe, and what is the evidence thereof.

Secondly, why is there existence at all, why not emptiness?!
God is beyond science and therefore cannot subjected to scientific proof. The only evidence to show that God created us is his written word. Science only tries to show the mechanism if that creation.
Re: Why Did You Choose To Be An Athiest? by Kay17: 10:49am On Nov 02, 2014
lastmessenger:

God is beyond science and therefore cannot subjected to scientific proof. The only evidence to show that God created us is his written word. Science only tries to show the mechanism if that creation.

But you tried to use a law of motion to prove God's existence earlier, now God is beyond science? Let me agree with you that we cannot prove God's existence through the Universe and that the Bible is the sole proof of God's existence, right?

And what about the second issue: why is there existence at all? I was encouraged when you said spiritual thinkers are profound and deep. So let's discuss.

1 Like

Re: Why Did You Choose To Be An Athiest? by lastmessenger: 11:41am On Nov 02, 2014
Kay17:

But you tried to use a law of motion to prove God's existence earlier, now God is beyond science? Let me agree with you that we cannot prove God's existence through the Universe and that the Bible is the sole proof of God's existence, right?

And what about the second issue: why is there existence at all? I was encouraged when you said spiritual thinkers are profound and deep. So let's discuss.
The only answer I can give you is the last verse of the chapter 4 of Revelation.
9The four living creatures sing songs of glory and honour and thanks to the one who sits on the throne, who lives for ever and ever. When they do so, 10the twenty-four elders fall down before the one who sits on the throne, and worship him who lives for ever and ever. They throw their crowns down in front of the throne and say:
11“Our Lord and God! You are worthy
to receive glory, honour, and power.
For you created all things,
and by your will they were given existence and life.”
Re: Why Did You Choose To Be An Athiest? by Kay17: 12:21pm On Nov 02, 2014
lastmessenger:

The only answer I can give you is the last verse of the chapter 4 of Revelation.
9The four living creatures sing songs of glory and honour and thanks to the one who sits on the throne, who lives for ever and ever. When they do so, 10the twenty-four elders fall down before the one who sits on the throne, and worship him who lives for ever and ever. They throw their crowns down in front of the throne and say:
11“Our Lord and God! You are worthy
to receive glory, honour, and power.
For you created all things,
and by your will they were given existence and life.”

Now, lets talk about the validity of the Bible, where do we find its validity?

1 Like

Re: Why Did You Choose To Be An Athiest? by Nobody: 12:27pm On Nov 02, 2014
Misogynist2014:
Atheists are a pitiable bunch of fööls, I haven't encountered just one with a good sense of reasoning. cry
do you believe that every believer is a closet unbeliever? Saying no on the basis of faith makes you a latent atheist. at the right time you will fall in line

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Quran 5:101. We Need Answers! / Why Does God Refer To Himself In The Plural In Genesis 1:26 And 3:22? / Was Jesus Married And Did He Fake His Death?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.