Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,659 members, 7,955,380 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 01:45 AM

Ancient African Mathematics - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Ancient African Mathematics (28685 Views)

Seven Interesting Facts About The Ancient Yoruba Culture / Onitsha Ancient Bridge Collapses / Black African Nobility Of Ancient Europe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ancient African Mathematics by Horus(m): 1:17pm On Dec 06, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYny1iQ_1r8?list=PLF3D8B03E8DC7E13F

[size=15pt]The African Origin of Mathematics[/size]

Supreme Mathematic African Ma'at Magic

1 Like

Re: Ancient African Mathematics by pashaun(f): 8:44am On Dec 07, 2014
AmunRaOlodumare:

The truth is Europeans didn't invent gun powder nor writing. They just made "good" technical use of it by integrating those into their cultures. They didn't switch to mandarin or something, they just used what was good from outside and incorporated it into their own cultures on their own term.

The same should be done with any technological from outside, that's how you build great nations with a great past. Not second class citizen speaking the language of their ex-colonial masters. All Europeans nations and Asian countries such as Japan, China, South Korea, and many others use their own language for their development. Only the self-defeating and subordinating policies (language of instructions, religions) set up by the colonial master when he colonized us has turned African countries into western dependent second class world citizen. The good news is those are easily reversible once the willingness is there, fear is away and our stockholm syndrome is out. Basically, it's simply about translating and editing books into our own various languages, use a national lingua franca (english maybe) and promote pride and historical continuity of our culture (more than now). This is the secret of all great nations from Britain, France, Germany, Israel (which practically revived the liturgical Hebrew language to create their nation after the world war), China, Japan, South Korea, etc.

Be ourselves culturally, while integrating stuff from outside under our own terms using our own spiritual belief, which are always in motions and our own languages, which will always integrate new words from outside as all languages do. Like Europeans did with writing and gun powder.

I know this.
Re: Ancient African Mathematics by kingston277(m): 7:17pm On Dec 16, 2014
Elxandre:

I said earlier that maybe not all tribes.

The koma people still live by their ancient traditional cultures, and they give us a good reference Into what pre-civilized Africans looked like.

Even Niki minaj/miley Cyrus got nothing on this ladies. cool

And these are pre-civilized Westerners who traditionally live the same lifestyle as those in your pictures. I don't get why you give so much attention to a few pre-civilized African groups. Every continent has 'em.
Re: Ancient African Mathematics by kingston277(m): 7:27pm On Dec 16, 2014
Ploy:

That exactly is my point, then they lived separately but there was seemingly enmity among them. The weakness explored by the colonialist to exploit them.

I don't get your point. The Africans had larger states than the colonialists. And the colonialist easily could've fallen to the same fate if anyone wanted to conquer them.

Ploy:
The world of today has advanced beyond living a secluded life. English opened the window through which we interact with the whole world. There was never Nigeria before the colonial masters and there won't be Nigeria if we through their linguistic legacy into the dustbin of rivalry.
Secluded? Do you even know how states work? Let alone pre-colonial African states? You might want to catch up on what that is before I answer this.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_(polity)
Re: Ancient African Mathematics by Elxandre(m): 7:39pm On Dec 16, 2014
kingston277:

And these are pre-civilized Westerners who traditionally live the same lifestyle as those in your pictures. I don't get why you give so much attention to a few pre-civilized African groups. Every continent has 'em.
They don't look like pre civilized people tho.
Re: Ancient African Mathematics by AmunRaOlodumare: 7:53pm On Dec 16, 2014
Elxandre:

And how does pre-civilized people look like? Please, don't use those european colonialist subversive language. Africans were "civilized" much before the arrival of the white men by shared traditions going at least as far back as the Nok civilization and beyond along with the continuous development of agriculture, sedentarism, state-formation, religion, judiciary system, specialization, metalworks, etc.
Re: Ancient African Mathematics by itstpia8: 7:57pm On Dec 16, 2014
Exjoker:
Following...

likewise
Re: Ancient African Mathematics by AmunRaOlodumare: 7:59pm On Dec 16, 2014
kingston277:

I made a thread with a much more extensive number of African states:

Maps Of Kingdoms, Peoples, States, And Cities In Africa Through Time
https://www.nairaland.com/1253380/maps-kingdoms-peoples-states-cities
Re: Ancient African Mathematics by kingston277(m): 8:05pm On Dec 16, 2014
Elxandre:

Teepee-dwelling, semi-nomadic, reindeer-herding people from norway are as pre-civilized as you can get.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sami_people
Re: Ancient African Mathematics by AmunRaOlodumare: 8:10pm On Dec 16, 2014
kingston277:

Teepee-dwelling, semi-nomadic, reindeer-herding people from norway are as pre-civilized as you can get.
So you don't consider them civilized because they are semi-nomadic herding people? That's where you put you fictitious line of civilization? That's bullcrap and you know it.
Re: Ancient African Mathematics by kingston277(m): 8:26pm On Dec 16, 2014
AmunRaOlodumare:

So you don't consider them civilized because they are semi-nomadic herding people? That's where you put you fictitious line of civilization? That's bullcrap and you know it.
Firstly, I was responding to Elxandre using his logic. Which was why I asked why focusing on these particular lifestyles were relevant at all to the definition of "civilized".
Re: Ancient African Mathematics by Elxandre(m): 11:41pm On Dec 16, 2014
kingston277:

I understand what you are pointing out, but what I was really trying to say was that the Africans looked more primitive compared to the Europeans in the picture you put up.

I hope you understand.
Re: Ancient African Mathematics by kingston277(m): 3:42am On Dec 17, 2014
Elxandre:

I understand what you are pointing out, but what I was really trying to say was that the Africans looked more primitive compared to the Europeans in the picture you put up.

I hope you understand.
How? The Europeans were wearing dyed animal skins, pretty primitive to me.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Alaafin Of Oyo Shows His Dancing Skills At His Palace / Chanel Chin, Oluwo Of Iwo's Wife Birthday: Oba Abdulrasheed Akanbi Hails Wife / 10 Local Mother Tongues That Have Gone Extinct

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.