Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,069 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:52 AM

10 Local Mother Tongues That Have Gone Extinct - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / 10 Local Mother Tongues That Have Gone Extinct (28445 Views)

Why Is Igbo Language Going Extinct? / Has The Nigerian Vulture Gone Extinct? / Okwû Igbo Nke Zuruoha (Igbo Words That Have Gone Global) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Local Mother Tongues That Have Gone Extinct by GoodMuyis(m): 8:29pm On Jul 25, 2017
10 Local Mother Tongues, you will never get to hear

image source: pulse.ng

Nigeria has over 500 indigenous languages. Few of us know up to 10.

We are all familiar with the popular ones, Hausa, Yoruba, Igbo, Efik, Ibibio, Edo etc, but the vast majority of our languages, we have not even heard of and some we will never hear of.

Here are 10 Nigerian languages you will never get to hear, because nobody speaks them anymore.

1. Ajawa
Ajawa used to be spoken in Bauchi State. It is a Afro-Asiatic language. It became extinct sometime around 1920 and 1940 as the native speakers adopted Hausa.

2. Basa-Gumna
Basa-Gumna was used in Chanchaga part of Niger state, and also near the Basa homeland of Nasarawa. It was a Kainji language. It died when the native speakers chose to speak Hausa instead.

3. Auyokawa
Auyokawa used to be spoken in Jigawa State. It was an Afro-Asiatic language.

4. Gamo-Ningi
Gamo (Buta) and Ningi was a Kainji dialect cluster in Bauchi state, with a population of about 15,000.

5. Holma
Holma or Da Holmaci, formerly spoken in Adamawa State is an extinct Afro-Asiatic language. It died as its native speakers chose to speak Fulfulde.

6. Kubi
Kubi was an Afro-Asiatic language formerly spoken in Bauchi State. The Members of the ethnic group have a population of about 1,500. They now speak Hausa.

7. Kpati
Kpati was formerly spoken in Taraba State. It was a Grassfields language.

8. Mawa
Mawa which is different from another language in Chad also known as Mawa, is also extinct. It was however never really proven to be a language of Nigeria.

9. Odut
Odut used to be spoken in Odukpani area of Cross River State.

10. Teshenawa
Teshenawa was a language formerly spoken in Jigawa State. It was an Afro-Asiatic

Source
http://www.pulse.ng/arts_culture/dead-nigerian-languages-10-local-mother-tongues-you-will-never-get-to-hear-id4369768.html

19 Likes 5 Shares

Re: 10 Local Mother Tongues That Have Gone Extinct by auntysimbiat(f): 9:13pm On Jul 25, 2017
nice one op
Re: 10 Local Mother Tongues That Have Gone Extinct by GoodMuyis(m): 10:51pm On Jul 30, 2017
Lalasticlala, mynd44

Why na

==modified==

Ayam the OP make una dye dash me like for good research, I wan take am buy MB

12 Likes

Re: 10 Local Mother Tongues That Have Gone Extinct by brunofarad(m): 8:34am On Jul 31, 2017
Following

Re: 10 Local Mother Tongues That Have Gone Extinct by yvesboss(m): 8:34am On Jul 31, 2017
really
Re: 10 Local Mother Tongues That Have Gone Extinct by edeXede: 8:34am On Jul 31, 2017
embarassed
Re: 10 Local Mother Tongues That Have Gone Extinct by sakalisis(m): 8:35am On Jul 31, 2017
angry

1 Like

Re: 10 Local Mother Tongues That Have Gone Extinct by temmypotter(m): 8:35am On Jul 31, 2017
self esteem issues on their part, I guess.
Re: 10 Local Mother Tongues That Have Gone Extinct by SUPOL(m): 8:35am On Jul 31, 2017
Igbo will be next if care is not taken

36 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 10 Local Mother Tongues That Have Gone Extinct by Ehiscotch(m): 8:35am On Jul 31, 2017
Why hausa just colonize their tongues nau. undecided

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Local Mother Tongues That Have Gone Extinct by AreaFada2: 8:35am On Jul 31, 2017
Very sad.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 10 Local Mother Tongues That Have Gone Extinct by Donbigi2(m): 8:36am On Jul 31, 2017
Notice something on the list? Hausa swallowed 90% of the languages.. I bet they are now Muslims

15 Likes

Re: 10 Local Mother Tongues That Have Gone Extinct by farouk0403(m): 8:36am On Jul 31, 2017
Hausa is the must simple and easiest language to learn.

But i am not happy how it makes other languages go extinct.

3 Likes

Re: 10 Local Mother Tongues That Have Gone Extinct by Integrityfarms(m): 8:37am On Jul 31, 2017
Some more need to go extinct, who too much language epp in this nation? Some need to be merged

3 Likes

Re: 10 Local Mother Tongues That Have Gone Extinct by Alexis11: 8:37am On Jul 31, 2017
Central Yoruba has swallowed many mother tongues in Yoruba land.

15 Likes

Re: 10 Local Mother Tongues That Have Gone Extinct by mazimee(m): 8:37am On Jul 31, 2017
SUPOL:

That is not possible, you don't know what you are talking about.

43 Likes

Re: 10 Local Mother Tongues That Have Gone Extinct by Felixalex(m): 8:37am On Jul 31, 2017
auntysimbiat:
nice one op

You de Nairaland full time? Always FTC
Re: 10 Local Mother Tongues That Have Gone Extinct by Alexis11: 8:38am On Jul 31, 2017
ymimiz:
The pigin language is going extinct
Lol......... Please don't loud it.

Make Warri and Benin guys no hear you cool

10 Likes

Re: 10 Local Mother Tongues That Have Gone Extinct by WetinConsignMe: 8:39am On Jul 31, 2017
Who mother tongue epp

1 Like

Re: 10 Local Mother Tongues That Have Gone Extinct by Donbigi2(m): 8:39am On Jul 31, 2017
SUPOL:
in your dreams

23 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 10 Local Mother Tongues That Have Gone Extinct by Nobody: 8:39am On Jul 31, 2017
Usman Dan fodio effect

4 Likes

Re: 10 Local Mother Tongues That Have Gone Extinct by TinaAnita(f): 8:40am On Jul 31, 2017
We already have too many local languages so it's a good thing that those ones disappeared into thin air
Re: 10 Local Mother Tongues That Have Gone Extinct by WetinConsignMe: 8:42am On Jul 31, 2017
SUPOL:

If Igbo goes, so what?
We still have yoruba, Hausa, and hundred other languages

1 Like

Re: 10 Local Mother Tongues That Have Gone Extinct by rheether(f): 8:42am On Jul 31, 2017
SUPOL:

It's not possible.

10 Likes

Re: 10 Local Mother Tongues That Have Gone Extinct by iambijo(m): 8:42am On Jul 31, 2017
Hausa is dominating every language, igbo next

1 Like

Re: 10 Local Mother Tongues That Have Gone Extinct by Pavore9: 8:42am On Jul 31, 2017
mazimee:

That is not possible, you dogn't know what you are talking about.

Very possible! How many of us born and raised outside igboland speak igbo.? In many igbo homes outside the east, where even both parents are igbos how many communicate in igbo language to their children? You need to listen to BBC"s documentary titled FORGETTING IGBO to have a grasp of the issue.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Local Mother Tongues That Have Gone Extinct by KendrickAyomide: 8:43am On Jul 31, 2017
so you mean all these languages were formed at the tower of babel?
Re: 10 Local Mother Tongues That Have Gone Extinct by KingTom(m): 8:43am On Jul 31, 2017
Many north central(middle belt) states are gradually replacing their languages with Hausa some more by accident than by intent.
Re: 10 Local Mother Tongues That Have Gone Extinct by kingsmaila(m): 8:43am On Jul 31, 2017
I blame the parents for the language extinction. As a father or mother your child is expected to learn your language first before any other language. I was born and brought up in Kano but I speak Igala fluently and I teach my children my language by speaking it to them. Some parent see it as being local to speak their mother tongue and choose English or Hausa Instead but they will surely regret it one day.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Oshiomhole Can Never Appoint The Oba Of Benin, Edo Youths Scream Out!!! / Non-nigerians Pls Identify Urself Here. Let Us Into Ur Beliefs/cultures/traditions / Does Our Generation Still Care About Marrying Virgins ??

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.