Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,696 members, 7,809,624 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:07 PM

Gtbank Buying Credit From Your Account --does Anyone Know The Technology Behind? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Gtbank Buying Credit From Your Account --does Anyone Know The Technology Behind? (4204 Views)

I Doubt If You All Know The Name Of Some Of The Keys On An English Keyboard! / Does Anyone Know How To Create A Programme To Predict Stock Market? / The Technology Behind "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gtbank Buying Credit From Your Account --does Anyone Know The Technology Behind? by clementcro(m): 10:49am On Oct 30, 2014
Dear Friends.

I believe some of us who have account with GTbank will know that we can actually buy credit from our GTbank account with the phone number that is on our contact details on the GTbank database.

The simple login is just dailing *737*500#

Then 500 naira credit will be credited to your phone.

Now the question is this, I have a client who has a micro finance bank , he wants his customers to be able to buy credit using this same technology.

But the problem is that, i do not know how to go about it, However, I know *737* is called USSD code, now, how do I obtain this code from MTN, GLO, Etisalat, does anybody have an idea of the cost?

Furthermore, what is the technology behind this thing?

Your quick response will be appreciated.

I could engage a developer who knows more about it in this project and we will negotiate about payment.
Re: Gtbank Buying Credit From Your Account --does Anyone Know The Technology Behind? by weezii(m): 11:12am On Oct 30, 2014
Fidelity bank own is *770*amount#. It only works with the phone number u registered ur account with. Thus the network applicable is automatically recharged to it.
Re: Gtbank Buying Credit From Your Account --does Anyone Know The Technology Behind? by clementcro(m): 11:21am On Oct 30, 2014
Ok Weezii,

But how can we programmers do this type of solution for a client?
Re: Gtbank Buying Credit From Your Account --does Anyone Know The Technology Behind? by weezii(m): 2:54pm On Oct 30, 2014
clementcro:
Ok Weezii,
But how can we programmers do this type of solution for a client?
my bro I dunno oh, cos am not a programmer, I only chipped in my word so you'll know its not only stuck to one USSD code that is being used.

But as a layman in programming, I think basically its about "tying" a specific code to a specific bank in this case. Just the way MTN recharge cards has to go with *555*no# and Etisalat has to go with *222*no#
Re: Gtbank Buying Credit From Your Account --does Anyone Know The Technology Behind? by Chimanet(m): 3:02pm On Oct 30, 2014
We have implemented the same solution for one of Nigeria top banks, don't want to mention name here. You can call me 08060880402. Let's discuss more.
Re: Gtbank Buying Credit From Your Account --does Anyone Know The Technology Behind? by clementcro(m): 6:46am On Oct 31, 2014
Chimanet:
We have implemented the same solution for one of Nigeria top banks, don't want to mention name here. You can call me 08060880402. Let's discuss more.

This is my email, clementcrownrise@gmail.com.

Please let us talk through mail first.

Thanks
Re: Gtbank Buying Credit From Your Account --does Anyone Know The Technology Behind? by Nobody: 7:18am On Oct 31, 2014
clementcro:

This is my email, clementcrownrise@gmail.com.

Please let us talk through mail first.

Thanks

i dont think a private organization will be needed in deploying such sensitive insecure solution.
First off, I didnt know a group of Tech experts from top Nigerian banks and Telecomms will come up with such extremely insecure solution.

A user dials *737*500# and they get credited with no token required.

"The number has to be a registered number on the account"

and who says my phone cannot be stolen, and not turned into a mobile recharge card generating business.
I wonder why i bought a token in the first place

To make matters worse, you cannot opt out of the service.

@clementpro, let me give you an insight into how this system works. using GTBank for instance
GTbank met with the telcos and agreed to grant telcos access to every customer's account provided they are able to provide the customers' phone number (Not even name of account holder)
when you dial that code, Telcos simply hit GTBank's server supplying your phone number.

Next GTBank searches it's database and gets the customer with the phone number.
if it brings up multiple account numbers, it picks one, debits it and credits the telco's account with them.

A response is then returned to update the telcos on the status or the transaction which the telcos use to determine whether to credit you with call credits or not.

One major flaw in this deployment is that it takes a high access level staff of these telcos to know what URL or IP the bank uses and they can escalate things from there.

That is if the telecoms aren't playing a smart one on phone users, at this age when airtel will subscribe you to hello tunes and tell you that someone may have dialed the code in your absence.

1 Like

Re: Gtbank Buying Credit From Your Account --does Anyone Know The Technology Behind? by asalimpo(m): 3:34pm On Oct 31, 2014
op,listen to webdezzi on this.
It's not a programming thing but an insider thing.
Re: Gtbank Buying Credit From Your Account --does Anyone Know The Technology Behind? by clementcro(m): 4:01pm On Oct 31, 2014
asalimpo:

op,listen to webdezzi on this.
It's not a programming thing but an insider thing.

I hear you.. grin grin grin

A lot of programming is involved my friend
Re: Gtbank Buying Credit From Your Account --does Anyone Know The Technology Behind? by xtremrules(m): 9:14am On Nov 01, 2014
webdezzi:

i dont think a private organization will be needed in deploying such sensitive insecure solution.
First off, I didnt know a group of Tech experts from top Nigerian banks and Telecomms will come up with such extremely insecure solution.

A user dials *737*500# and they get credited with no token required.

"The number has to be a registered number on the account"

and who says my phone cannot be stolen, and not turned into a mobile recharge card generating business.
I wonder why i bought a token in the first place

To make matters worse, you cannot opt out of the service.

@clementpro, let me give you an insight into how this system works. using GTBank for instance
GTbank met with the telcos and agreed to grant telcos access to every customer's account provided they are able to provide the customers' phone number (Not even name of account holder)
when you dial that code, Telcos simply hit GTBank's server supplying your phone number.

Next GTBank searches it's database and gets the customer with the phone number.
if it brings up multiple account numbers, it picks one, debits it and credits the telco's account with them.

A response is then returned to update the telcos on the status or the transaction which the telcos use to determine whether to credit you with call credits or not.

One major flaw in this deployment is that it takes a high access level staff of these telcos to know what URL or IP the bank uses and they can escalate things from there.

That is if the telecoms aren't playing a smart one on phone users, at this age when airtel will subscribe you to hello tunes and tell you that someone may have dialed the code in your absence.
True talk bro. at least it should require a token.
Re: Gtbank Buying Credit From Your Account --does Anyone Know The Technology Behind? by mrjojo: 4:18pm On Nov 01, 2014
xtremrules:

True talk bro. at least it should require a token.
not token in particular, a pin should do... I think this how it works... you send a request to MTN, using the assign USSD code, MTN server auto check your number with the one on your bank account, if number exist on GTBank, it checks the Airtime Value your requested with the BALANCE of the phone number on GT server.. If you have enough balance for the transaction, it sends a TRUE statement back to MTN server and you get credited.. I think the MIcrofinance bank we have to provide any of the Network provider access to a part of there database (phone number and balance).. btw, AUTHENTICATION in form of PIN or SECRET QUESTION and ANSWER should implemented

(1) (Reply)

Why Doesn't Anyone In Nigeria Code In A Lisp / Is Freelancing As A Software Programmer Possible? / Confused About Learning C#

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.