Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,467 members, 7,816,092 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:23 AM

The Linda-Bashiru Story - Poems For Review - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Poems For Review / The Linda-Bashiru Story (4619 Views)

Poll: Rate this story on a scale of 1 to 4

4 (Very Good): 29% (16 votes)
3 (Good): 40% (22 votes)
2 (Fair): 14% (8 votes)
1 (Poor): 14% (8 votes)
This poll has ended

Linda (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Linda-Bashiru Story by Seun(m): 10:50pm On Aug 04, 2006
A story of people like you and how they are facing and overcoming life's challenges.
Re: The Linda-Bashiru Story by Seun(m): 2:10pm On Aug 05, 2006
Linda woke up at 6:00am to the sound of a GSM phone alarm. Naturally, she switched it off and went back to sleep. Beside her, on the same small bed, her mother was also sleeping.

Later in the morning, she woke up again. The room was bright. She checked the time on her phone. It was 11:30am already! She snatched a large, faded towel and a bucket, and rushed towards her bedroom door.

Linda: Today is the day.

She opened the door of her room and almost collided with her mom who was about to enter at the same time.

Mom: Linda!

Linda stepped back.

Linda: Sorry mummy.

Mom: What's chasing you so early in the morning?

Linda: It's JAMB, mummy.

Mum reached out to pull Linda out of the room, towards herself.

Mum: My daughter is going to be a medical doctor! Neighbors, come and rejoice with me! Today is my day!

Linda: Mummy, please, you're embarrassing me.

Mum: "Mummy please, you're embarrassing me." My daughter already talking like a respectable doctor!

Linda: Mummy, please.

Mummy released her hold on Linda.

Voice From Corridor: Good morning Madam Bella.

Mum: Ah, good morning my son.

Corridor Voice: Linda, how are you today?

Linda: How are you yourself.

Linda: Mummy, please let me check my result first. Then we can start celebrations. Let's not count our chickens before they are hatched.

Mummy placed her hands on her hips

Mum: Everybody listen to Dr. Mrs. Bella: "let's not count our chickens before they are hatched!"

Mummy looked up as if to pray.

Mum: For my intelligent daughter, God, I thank you.

Linda: I'll just go and take my bath before going to town to check my result.

Linda walked out of her single-room apartment towards the well in their 'face-me-I-face-you' flat. After fetching a bucket of water, she marched towards the bathroom to wash herself. Fortunately, she didn’t have to wait on a queue because the fellow-residents had all taken their baths earlier in the morning.
Re: The Linda-Bashiru Story by Seun(m): 9:22pm On Aug 05, 2006
Linda is a character in the Nijarita story. She's a studious JAMBite who lives with her mom.

Ms. Bella is Linda's single mother. She's hyper-active but good-natured.

Bashiru is Linda's self-proclaimed 'soul mate'. He's a prankster and joker by nature.

[[to be updated]]
Re: The Linda-Bashiru Story by Seun(m): 6:48pm On Aug 06, 2006
After finishing her bath, Linda wrapped herself with her towel and lifted the ‘mobile’ door of her bathroom. She was startled to see Bashiru, a dark-skinned male co-tenant, standing right in front of it. On his waist was a small towel, and beside him a bucket of water. He wore a mischievous smile on his face.

Linda: Bashiru!

Bashiru: Linda!

Linda: What are you doing there?

Bashiru: I was waiting for my lovely princess to finish.

Linda: How did you know who was in there? (Looking worried) Did you peep?

Bashiru: Of course not. I recognized your voice while you were in there.

Linda: That makes sense, but … I don’t remember talking or singing while I was in there.

Bashiru: You must have said something. Maybe you’ve forgotten. Well, even if I peeped, you have no cause for concern, because your body is very shapely.

Linda smacked his head and pushed him into the bathroom.

Bashiru: Ouch!

From inside the bathroom, Bashiru called out.

Bashiru: By the way, Linda, I was the one that greeted you this morning.

Linda: I know. Pervert!

Linda marched away. After a few steps, she almost tripped over the culvert at the back door of her residence.

Little Child: Sorry Auntie.

Linda: Thank you, Peace. Wait a minute, why aren’t you in school today?

Peace: Today is a Saturday.

Linda: Oh, I forgot. Well, greet your parents on my behalf. I’m going to the Central Cafe after I dress up.

Peace: Auntie, please buy something for me.

Linda: All right, sweetie. I’ll buy you something nice.

Linda went back to her room to change. She picked up the note left by her mother and the money folded inside it. Something inside the note made her smile. Then she left the room and locked it behind her. As she turned to leave, she heard Bashiru’s voice from the room next door.

Bashiru: Linda, is that you leaving?

Bashiru poked his head out of the room and stared at Linda’s T-shirt and Jeans trouser.

Bashiru: Girl, you’re looking pretty today. Why not let me accompany you?

Linda starts to leave.

Linda: No.

Bashiru: Please, please, please Linda. I promise to be good.

Linda: You’re wasting your time, Bashiru. A boy like you can’t impress a girl like me.

Bashiru: Aw, you broke my heart!

Yet, as she walked away, there was a smile on her face that shouldn’t have been there.

Linda: Bashiru, Bashiru. You’re nothing but a joker, and that’s what you’ll always be to me.
Re: The Linda-Bashiru Story by Seun(m): 12:31am On Aug 08, 2006
Alli and his lover Esther were in well-furnished expensive master bedroom. Both of them were under the covers, just about to go to sleep.

Esther: Darling, do you know that next month will be the 19th anniversary of our relationship?

Alli: My o my, how time flies! How do you think we should celebrate it?

Esther: I’ve already told you what I want, but you refuse to listen.

Alli: Seriously? I don’t remember. When was this?

At this, Esther turned her face away from Alli

Esther: See? You don’t even pay attention to what I say. You don’t even care.

Alli approached her and held her hand.

Alli: Ok, darling, I am sorry I forgot. What is it? Tell me so I can arrange for it. I promise.

Esther: I want us to get married.

Alli: Hmmph.

Alli dropped her hand and switched off the bedroom light. Esther immediately switched it back on.

Esther: What sort of monster are you, Alli? I’ve been living with you for almost 19 years and you still don’t want to marry me?

Alli: Esther, please don’t start that again. I have told you why it’s is not possible.

Esther: Your wife has been away for 19 years, and you still don’t want to divorce her. 19 good years!

Alli: How can I divorce her when I don’t even know whether she’s alive or dead?

Esther: Well, that’s no longer a problem. A lawyer friend of mine told me that the marriage can be dissolved on grounds of abandonment. Once that is done, we can go ahead and get married.

Alli: I don’t believe in divorce.

Esther: (sarcastically) Preach it, preacher. Wait a minute: isn’t fornication a greater sin?

Alli: Esther, I cannot divorce that woman. She never did anything to offend me.

Esther: What about her decision to disappear for 19 years?

Alli: Can’t you understand and forget about this?

Esther: All I understand is that you’re taking advantage of me. You’re using me like a wife yet denying me of marriage. That’s very unfair.

Alli: Marriage is just a formality. You have this house, you have me, and you have your career. What more could a woman ask for?

Esther: Marriage.

Alli: Humph. You’re just being stubborn.

Esther: And what about our children, Alli? Don’t they deserve a proper home? Don’t they deserve to bear their father’s name?

Alli: Aisha and John are fine.

Esther: Those spoilt children of ours? By what definition are they “fine”?

Alli: The only problem they have is you. You’re always trying to control them. You won’t let them be.

Esther: And why won’t I control them when their father is unserious?

Alli: That is enough! This unserious father is going to sleep.

Alli switched off the bedroom light again and went to sleep with his back turned to Esther, who switched it back on and proceeded to get up from the bed and leave the room.

Esther: I hope you’re willing to play with yourself for the rest of this month. I’m going to the guest room.
Re: The Linda-Bashiru Story by Seun(m): 12:33am On Aug 08, 2006
Linda walked the short distance to the nearest highway and flagged down a commercial motorbike rider.

Linda: Okada! Take me to Central Café.

Motorbike Rider: Let’s go. It’s 50 naira.

Linda: 50 naira? What are you talking about? I can’t pay more than 20 naira.

The motorbike rider began to leave.

Linda: Ok, come back. What about 25 naira?

Motorbike Rider: How can a fine girl like you not have 50 naira? Ok, I’ll take 40 naira but nothing less.

Linda: Please let me pay 30 naira. That’s what I have.

Motorbike: Look, the lowest price for ‘drop’ is 40 naira. You should know that. Is this your first time?

Linda: Thank you very much. You can go.

The motorbike rider drove off as Linda turned towards the road to hail another motorbike rider. A black Mercedes Benz passed her by and then turned back to park close to where she was standing. The passenger seat door opened and a well-built man wearing an expensive suit got out and started walking towards Linda.

Man: Hello, I’m Tunde.

A look of surprise appeared on Linda’s face.

Linda: Tunde Phillips!

Tunde: You’re right. And what’s your name?

Linda: Mrs. Linda Phillips.

When Tunde heard that, he laughed, which puzzled Linda. Then she realized what she had just said.

Linda: Sorry! I meant to say ‘Linda Bella’.

Tunde: (smiling) No, don’t apologize!

Tunde: I know I’ve met you somewhere. Were you a student of Royal School?

Linda: No, I attended General High, but we met during a quiz competition my school hosted. You were representing your school and I was one of the prefects attending to the contestants.

Tunde: Yes, I think I remember now. You were the prefect who acted as our hostess, right?

Linda: Exactly.

Tunde: Linda, I’m so pleased to meet you! Here’s my card, in case you ever need me. Where are you going anyway?

Linda: Central Café.

Tunde: That’s not far from where I’m going. Why not let me give you a lift?

Linda: I’d love that.

Tunde helped Linda into his car, and then got in after her. His driver started the car while Linda looked around.

Linda: Nice ride.

Tunde: Thanks. (To driver) We’re dropping this lady at Central Café

Driver: Yes sir.
Re: The Linda-Bashiru Story by Seun(m): 11:03am On Aug 12, 2006
Do you want more? kiss
Re: The Linda-Bashiru Story by edge(m): 12:21pm On Aug 12, 2006
go ahead if no body wants more i do
Re: The Linda-Bashiru Story by Orikinla(m): 2:43pm On Aug 12, 2006
If would be good for a Nollywood movie. Because, this is drama.

The characterization is good.
Re: The Linda-Bashiru Story by wilkanah(m): 5:37pm On Aug 12, 2006
guy,
not bad. not bad at all
Re: The Linda-Bashiru Story by Damsal(f): 2:51pm On Aug 13, 2006
The drama setting is really captivating and interesting, while reading the whole of 1b i could not stop smiling, i guess because of the discriptions you gave which for me is very essential in a story.
In the part of Esther and her man u refered to the guy as her husband which slightly confused while reading through but so far i'm really enjoying the story.
Pleasssssssssssssssssssssssssse post more  kiss. Thanks.
Re: The Linda-Bashiru Story by Bhola(f): 10:50pm On Aug 13, 2006
Moreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Thanks cheesy cheesy
Re: The Linda-Bashiru Story by Remmzy(m): 3:24am On Aug 14, 2006
SEUN flow on,  smiley
Re: The Linda-Bashiru Story by Nobody: 9:19am On Aug 14, 2006
I think this should be on Naijarita.com smiley
Re: The Linda-Bashiru Story by CuteAngel(f): 10:38am On Aug 14, 2006
Mennnnnnn! the story is ummmmmmmmmmmmmm keep it flowing cheesy
Re: The Linda-Bashiru Story by mathways(m): 2:44pm On Aug 14, 2006
The story line aint bad  Seun, U've gat that ability to keep readers on suspense,which is really a vital element of any play(or say story). Kudos and if u've gat more,I wouldn't mind finding some time out of my busy schedule to read through.Mind u I was referred to ur story by a friend. Bravo,Jigga and lets send more articles and comments to nairaland so we get to know how we Nigerians think, Bravo.

Eyo aka Mcyoh of spb
Re: The Linda-Bashiru Story by Damest09(f): 8:19pm On Aug 14, 2006
Great start but why are we still waiting for another part of the story
Re: The Linda-Bashiru Story by Seun(m): 5:11am On Aug 15, 2006
As Tunde’s car began to move, Linda savored the cold breeze inside it. Then she picked up her phone and Tunde’s business card as if to record his number. Seconds later, Tunde’s phone began to ring, yet the caller kept dropping the call immediately he picked it.

Tunde: Not again. Someone is flashing me with an unknown number.

Linda: Why don’t you call the person back?

Tunde: Good idea.

Tunde called the number in question and Linda’s phone began to ring. She picked the call.

Tunde: Hello?

Linda: Hello, I would like to speak with Tunde Phillips.

Tunde smiled halfway and threw a questioning look at Linda. She smiled back and continued with the call.

Tunde: Yes, this is Tunde speaking.

Linda: Really? My name is Linda Bella, and I’m your biggest fan.

Tunde: (grinning) Is that so?

Linda: Yes! And I happen to know everything about you. I know about your family in the UN, your love for engineering, your management of the Phillips Industries Engineering Group even as a student. I know your height, your weight, your favorite color. I even know about 6-pack you carry on your tummy. I know about your plan to further your studies at the UN next year. You’re practically a celebrity, you know.

Tunde: Interesting. You seem to think you know everything about me.

Linda: That’s because I know everything about you. See, I even know the names of all your celebrity girlfriends, although I wish they’d just disappear so I can take their place!

Tunde: Really? That’s serious, isn’t it?

Driver: Sir, we’ve reached the Café.

Tunde: Oops, it seems we’ll have to cut this short. Can we meet tomorrow at 6pm, Central Plaza? I’d love to tell you some things you don’t know. And later, I’d like to show you some pleasurable secrets. (wink)

Linda: I don’t know … let me check my hectic schedule.

Linda aimed her lips at Tunde’s cheek and gave him a light kiss.

Linda: It’s a date then. See you around.

Linda stepped out of Tunde’s car and walked towards the Café, while Tunde’s car zoomed off.
Re: The Linda-Bashiru Story by babonboard(f): 9:26am On Aug 15, 2006
more plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Re: The Linda-Bashiru Story by Damsal(f): 11:22am On Aug 15, 2006
Seun man, why are u doing this sad can't u u be a lot more generous while posting waiting for every scene is not fun. So preeety pleassssssssse get to posting. And stop portraying Linda as a stalker i was actually beginning to like her. angry
Re: The Linda-Bashiru Story by otolorin(m): 12:30pm On Aug 15, 2006
linda don dey mess up o - kai

chairman - try re-model linda now - she started with a high profile - now, her class i s nose-diving
Re: The Linda-Bashiru Story by Seun(m): 10:34am On Aug 16, 2006
Can you explain how you feel Linda's class is nose-diving? Plase explain. I'm at a loss here!
Re: The Linda-Bashiru Story by otolorin(m): 10:54am On Aug 16, 2006
she started out as a good girl - looking out for Jamb

but

she's actin funny now -
Re: The Linda-Bashiru Story by Seun(m): 4:07pm On Aug 16, 2006
Ok, the last two voters have rated the story as poor. Thanks a million, guys. angry
Re: The Linda-Bashiru Story by otolorin(m): 4:42pm On Aug 16, 2006
no b so chairman
just dat dere was a drop in her profile - its ur story - so u get to do wateva u want with your xters , dose were just our own views

if your story has to go dat way,, den it should - dont paint a picture of we discouragin your story! - and you dont have to change it because we complained

not all movies or stories sound good at d beginning - the latter part might just hold d bulk of the thrill!

so go on with it, if u wanna!
Re: The Linda-Bashiru Story by Seun(m): 6:59pm On Aug 16, 2006
Thanks. In this short interval, I've found myself thinking of an entirely different story. Sorry guys.
Re: The Linda-Bashiru Story by Damsal(f): 10:48pm On Aug 16, 2006
does this now mean u are going to change the story line or start writing another story from scratch?
Re: The Linda-Bashiru Story by Fimmy(m): 1:21pm On Aug 17, 2006
Seun pls continue plsssssssssssssssss
Re: The Linda-Bashiru Story by Nobody: 6:04pm On Aug 17, 2006
seun what u r doin is vrery unfair and am not happy.U come with an intrestin story,u get everyone intrested and then all of a sudden u refused to post more or even attept to complete it.peopl;e were even begging you yet no reply.its not nice.
Re: The Linda-Bashiru Story by Seun(m): 6:16pm On Aug 17, 2006
Thanks for the encouragement, guys. Writing is not the easiest thing for me, but if you really love the story that much, I'll definitely complete it. I'm basically looking for a way to build a business out of fiction.

f.chick, I'm so sorry for the delay.
Re: The Linda-Bashiru Story by dolarpo(m): 9:49pm On Aug 17, 2006
Seun, kool story, nice ideas. I think you were just being realistic there, what linda did is what any natural girl would do if they were to meet their favorite celebrity. 'Cos she had a good representation at home doesn't necessarily mean that's her true nature. So please fire on with the story because the next action in a good story shouldnt be predicted, i was enjoying it before the discouragement came in. You are doing well bro.
Re: The Linda-Bashiru Story by Fimmy(m): 5:09pm On Aug 18, 2006
continue pls

(1) (2) (Reply)

Goodbye. / Nigeria! Nigeria! My Beloved Nigeria / Intellectual Property Removed At Owner's Request

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.