Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,146 members, 7,818,437 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:51 PM

BBM Introduces First Premium Features As Blackberry Looks To Monetize Platform - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / BBM Introduces First Premium Features As Blackberry Looks To Monetize Platform (1215 Views)

BBM Introduces 'like Button' For Display Pictures / Bbm Introduces Another Awesome Feature, Check It Out! / Nokia Looks To Sell Headquarters To Raise Cash!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

BBM Introduces First Premium Features As Blackberry Looks To Monetize Platform by nairamaverick(m): 3:35pm On Oct 31, 2014
BlackBerry today releaseda new version of BBM, adding timed messages, message retraction, HD picture transfer, among other features. If you don’t see the update just yet, you should note the company says it “may take 24 hours or more” for it to appear in your app store “depending on your mobile platform and region.”First up, you now have a lot more control over your communications. Before you send messages and pictures, you can set how long your contacts have access to them in a chat. After you send messages and pictures, you can also “retract” them from your BBM chat.

BlackBerry is pushing these two additions as new privacy features that let users “take control over the messages and content that they share, so they can communicate with more discretion and freedom than ever before.” The company first showed offthe new additions to messages two weeks ago in a beta release; testers apparently have been giving “incredible” feedback, saying that controlling their messages adds “a whole new dynamic to BBM.”

Nevertheless, for both these features, BlackBerry did offer an obvious warning to its users

While these features are designed to remove the message or picture the recipient’s BBM chat view, they do not prevent recipients from capturing an image of the content by taking a screenshot or using an image capture device. Retracting a message after it has been read by the recipient will remove the message from the BBM chat view, but will not affect copies of the message that the recipient may have made prior to the message being retracted.

Privacy additions aside, BBM has received a new sticker picker that the company claims is faster for adding stickers to your chats, the ability to transfer HD pictures so you can send higher quality versions of your photos, and an option to see what music your contacts are listening to in BBM Feeds, iPhone users can tap the song and be taken to iTunes for a quick and seamless purchase. None of these are as significant as the privacy additions, but they do round out this release as a major one.

Paid subscription

For some time now, BlackBerry has been talking about monetizing BBM. The company has started offeringstickers, noting that many messaging applications, particularly in Asia, have successfully built new revenue streams by opening up a sticker shop for their users to peruse.

Now, BlackBerry today revealed that it plans to offera paid subscription for premium features. It didn’t share many details, but the company did say that Timed Messages and Message Retraction will be included in the package.

The features will be availablefor free and without restrictions over the next three months. In other words, we can expect a BBM subscription to arrive within the next quarter.

Source: http://venturebeat.com/2014/10/31/bbm-updated-with-timed-messages-the-ability-to-retract-messages-hd-picture-transfer-and-more/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Venturebeat+(VentureBeat)

Re: BBM Introduces First Premium Features As Blackberry Looks To Monetize Platform by vodacom: 3:46pm On Oct 31, 2014
Does that mean that show what am listening to will be available for android and iphone users? That's if I play music or video,my contact can view them. I am curious
Re: BBM Introduces First Premium Features As Blackberry Looks To Monetize Platform by nairamaverick(m): 3:47pm On Oct 31, 2014
vodacom:
Does that mean that show what am listening to will be available for android and iphone users? That's if I play music or video,my contact can view them. I am curious
I want to believe so
Re: BBM Introduces First Premium Features As Blackberry Looks To Monetize Platform by Vicaboy(m): 4:36pm On Oct 31, 2014
Nice move
Re: BBM Introduces First Premium Features As Blackberry Looks To Monetize Platform by eraly(m): 4:53pm On Oct 31, 2014
vodacom:

YES
Re: BBM Introduces First Premium Features As Blackberry Looks To Monetize Platform by vodacom: 6:25pm On Oct 31, 2014
eraly:

YES
Blackberry is dead already.na dis I dey take pose for my friends say I dey use bb.chai daris God oh,make I port back to android.
Re: BBM Introduces First Premium Features As Blackberry Looks To Monetize Platform by G3NTL3SOUL(m): 6:49pm On Oct 31, 2014
blackberry RIP

imagine

I carry 1 clean new curve 4 go market go sale,
somebody they tell me say 2500

(1) (Reply)

Airtel Is Defrauding Users Of The Network / Samsung Struggles: Why High End Phone Makers May Need To Go Cheap / Samsung Galaxy Ace 3 Discussion Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.