Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,193 members, 7,822,015 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 01:40 AM

Nokia Looks To Sell Headquarters To Raise Cash!!! - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Nokia Looks To Sell Headquarters To Raise Cash!!! (9447 Views)

How Beautiful Does Your Phone Keyboard Looks (pics) / 7 Features An Average Nigerian Looks Out For In A Smartphone / BBM Introduces First Premium Features As Blackberry Looks To Monetize Platform (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nokia Looks To Sell Headquarters To Raise Cash!!! by LordReed(m): 7:17pm On Oct 03, 2012
Nokia looks to sell HQ to raise cash
By Richard Milne, Nordic Correspondent October 3, 2012 3:05 pm

Nokia has started a process to sell off its headquarters outside Helsinki as the stricken Finnish mobile phone maker urgently looks for ways to conserve cash.

The loss making company is looking to sell and lease back the building that employs 1,800 people in a move that could raise €200m-€300m, according to estimates.

The move comes amid intense scrutiny of Nokia’s cash position after it burned through liquidity at a very fast pace around the turn of the year. In the second quarter of this year, its net cash position fell 14 per cent to €4.2bn due entirely to a dividend payment to investors.

“We have ample cash resources to do what we need. But to cut costs and conserve cash we are looking at all possible options with no stones being left unturned. One of those is the possibility of selling our headquarters,” Nokia said.

Nokia moved out of central Helsinki in 1996 to a striking glass and steel building on the edge of the sea in the neighbouring town of Espoo that it expanded in 2001 to its current size. It pointed to other Finnish companies that had sold and leased back their headquarters in recent years, including Kone, Stora Enso and UPM-Kymmene.

Nokia has sent documents out to interested parties but a sale is not imminent. It had earlier said, when it announced its second-quarter results, that it was looking to sell its property holdings around the world. “We are not a real estate company and we would rather invest in our core operations,” it said.

But analysts remain concerned about the level of cash burn as the company fights for survival following a series of disappointing product launches in an attempt to compete with Apple’s iPhone and companies using Google’s Android platform.

Credit analysts stress that technology companies can go bust with positive cash balances, pointing to Nortel, which had several billions of dollars in cash on its balance sheet when it went bankrupt in 2009. Standard & Poor’s, the credit rating agency, said in August when it downgraded Nokia again that it expected the group to end this year with less than €3bn in net cash.

Nokia in return has touted its ability to squeeze cash out of its business, using advanced royalty payments on some of its patents to avoid a worse cash burn in the second quarter. It also has an undrawn credit line of €1.5bn, which is available until March 2016.

Analysts have speculated that Nokia will soon have to cut its dividend to protect its remaining cash. Its first debt repayment is for €1.25bn in early 2014.

http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/6166627a-0d56-11e2-99a1-00144feabdc0.html#axzz28GJrVYas
Re: Nokia Looks To Sell Headquarters To Raise Cash!!! by Afam4eva(m): 7:41pm On Oct 03, 2012
Are they that poor that they would have to sell their headquarters?
Re: Nokia Looks To Sell Headquarters To Raise Cash!!! by pendusky(m): 7:42pm On Oct 03, 2012
Hope they wont sell my nokia phone too. grin

5 Likes

Re: Nokia Looks To Sell Headquarters To Raise Cash!!! by CLIQBOY(m): 7:43pm On Oct 03, 2012
Poor management
Re: Nokia Looks To Sell Headquarters To Raise Cash!!! by eyzeberg: 7:49pm On Oct 03, 2012
This is a liquidity problem and its a good strategic decision. Whereas they are not into business of property,Core function.

1 Like

Re: Nokia Looks To Sell Headquarters To Raise Cash!!! by semid4lyfe(m): 7:50pm On Oct 03, 2012
afam4eva: Are they that poor that they would have to sell their headquarters?

Me thinks it makes business sense for them to do so.

Nokia sells their HQ for a ballpark figure and then they lease it for only a fraction of that amount thereby saving money to invest in their core operations.

Good business decision IMO

1 Like

Re: Nokia Looks To Sell Headquarters To Raise Cash!!! by superior1: 7:50pm On Oct 03, 2012
Poor product development
Re: Nokia Looks To Sell Headquarters To Raise Cash!!! by Nobody: 7:52pm On Oct 03, 2012
Please they should relocate their headquarters to Computer Village Ikeja! Business go boom die!

5 Likes

Re: Nokia Looks To Sell Headquarters To Raise Cash!!! by codernoni: 7:57pm On Oct 03, 2012
Most of these 'big' coys running mega losses.. I don't understand oo.. Does it mean the woman selling akara on the road is in a more profitable business? :-S

2 Likes

Re: Nokia Looks To Sell Headquarters To Raise Cash!!! by ITbomb(m): 8:00pm On Oct 03, 2012
wake me when they mention Android

3 Likes

Re: Nokia Looks To Sell Headquarters To Raise Cash!!! by Sedar(m): 8:03pm On Oct 03, 2012
Lack of innovation! Like  ,apple,samsung etc.
Re: Nokia Looks To Sell Headquarters To Raise Cash!!! by acidtalk: 8:07pm On Oct 03, 2012
For all those critcizing Nokia now and when they downsize, you all should know its a global problem (credit/cash crunch).

For all those sitting and hoping for that dream job please do read this letter.

https://www.nairaland.com/1064304/letter-all-job-seekers

1 Like

Re: Nokia Looks To Sell Headquarters To Raise Cash!!! by ifeomabernard(f): 8:09pm On Oct 03, 2012
Every busıness has ıts good and bad tımes from the rıchest to the poorest ıts one of those thıngs they wıll surely suvıve ıt
Re: Nokia Looks To Sell Headquarters To Raise Cash!!! by kerzhim(m): 8:12pm On Oct 03, 2012
I won't blame dem for wanting to sell dea HQ in order to raise money. Technology is rapidly growing and dey find it so difficult to match wit the likes of SAMSUNG, GOOGLE, BLACKBERRY and APPLE wen it cums to productivity. They are far behind.
Re: Nokia Looks To Sell Headquarters To Raise Cash!!! by jedisco(m): 8:14pm On Oct 03, 2012
This is the most biased and untrue version of this story I've seen.

This move is clearly a very popular option in Nordic countries and its been noted that many other Finish companies making much more profit than Nokia have done thesame thing. There its much cheaper to sell it and rent it out again as you cut out on alot of tax and maintenance fees.
This is what Nokia is doing as they are clearly not moving out.

As for the doom day prophets, you should know that apart from Apple and perhaps Samsung, Nokia has a much better chance of survival than say BB, HTC, Motorolla or the mobile division of Sony, and most other OEMs.
They've got enough patents to last a life time. Also their navigation and map service is doing very well with more than 4 in 5 (85%) of inbuilt navigation systems in vehicles using it. Currently being used by Mercedes, Volks Wagen, Hyundai, Audi Pioneer, Oracle, Bing, Garmin, Groupon, Amazon and a whole lot more. Lets also not forget the Asha line that is competing with low end androids and is the only line of Nokia phones making clear profit.
So even in the most unlikely of situations where their new Lumia phones don't sell too well, they will still be around for quite some time.

Y'all need to get informed before making blind comments.

5 Likes

Re: Nokia Looks To Sell Headquarters To Raise Cash!!! by omosexy1: 8:16pm On Oct 03, 2012
This is an indication of problem, well it has been stated that Nokia is a loss making company. When a company is not liquid, there are traces of insolvency. The possibility of them obtaining loans for capital or project expenditure is slim. I don't know if Nokia is on its way to recovery because if you dispose off assets, cut down operational expenditures like laying off staff, your survival will only be in the short-run. The industry is a fiercely competitive one, with the likes of Apple and Samsung having a huge share of the market base. Nokia must produce the next big thing if it intends to be a going concern or invest in other fields. Else, the entity called Nokia is heading for doom.
Re: Nokia Looks To Sell Headquarters To Raise Cash!!! by Nobody: 8:22pm On Oct 03, 2012
how com i no hear about dis....i no believe u cos (1) i work near there at aladin club under stockmann building in dat area(2) news papers na free n e full 4 metro, tram n bus... "yle" suomi tv 4 don announce am(3) anytin weh dey go on 4 vanta, espoo n helsinki dey go round quick quick...no com fall nokia hand 4 nairaland....i use GOD beg u.
Re: Nokia Looks To Sell Headquarters To Raise Cash!!! by Nobody: 8:23pm On Oct 03, 2012
The way Nokia is going they will soon be bought over by a rival company like Apple, Samsung or even a Chinese company.

Lets wait and see.
Re: Nokia Looks To Sell Headquarters To Raise Cash!!! by mizzyboy007: 8:29pm On Oct 03, 2012
CLIQBOY: Poor management
dude...its not poor management, its just poor competitive upgrade.
Re: Nokia Looks To Sell Headquarters To Raise Cash!!! by Nobody: 8:31pm On Oct 03, 2012
na everybody dey use apple's n blackberrys phones....nokia demand's still on d high side in d market. keep d fake news.
Re: Nokia Looks To Sell Headquarters To Raise Cash!!! by kellystech(m): 8:32pm On Oct 03, 2012
Dey should just give up dia ego and sign contract with google to produce android, dem go sell scatter cos people still loves dia product

1 Like

Re: Nokia Looks To Sell Headquarters To Raise Cash!!! by LordReed(m): 8:33pm On Oct 03, 2012
jedisco: This is the most biased and untrue version of this story I've seen.

This move is clearly a very popular option in Nordic countries and its been noted that many other Finish companies making much more profit than Nokia have done thesame thing. There its much cheaper to sell it and rent it out again as you cut out on alot of tax and maintenance fees.

Take it easy man. No one says Nokia is moving out, read the article well. It clearly states that Nokia will lease back the property.
Re: Nokia Looks To Sell Headquarters To Raise Cash!!! by NEROSKY(m): 8:33pm On Oct 03, 2012
kerzhim: I won't blame dem for wanting to sell dea HQ in order to raise money. Technology is rapidly growing and dey find it so difficult to match wit the likes of SAMSUNG, GOOGLE, BLACKBERRY and APPLE wen it cums to productivity. They are far behind.
hey don't even mention Blackburial
Re: Nokia Looks To Sell Headquarters To Raise Cash!!! by omosexy1: 8:37pm On Oct 03, 2012
kellystech: Dey should just give up dia ego and sign contract with google to produce android, dem go sell scatter cos people still loves dia product

I think this might be a good idea, they provide the platform and Google provides the software. Should be awesome. Like I said, they need something big, they need to sell products and not headquarter buildings.
Re: Nokia Looks To Sell Headquarters To Raise Cash!!! by LordReed(m): 8:38pm On Oct 03, 2012
intapo: how com i no hear about dis....i no believe u cos (1) i work near there at aladin club under stockmann building in dat area(2) news papers na free n e full 4 metro, tram n bus... "yle" suomi tv 4 don announce am(3) anytin weh dey go on 4 vanta, espoo n helsinki dey go round quick quick...no com fall nokia hand 4 nairaland....i use GOD beg u.

Relax man Nokia hasn't made a public advert yet so you not see it in the Dailies yet.

1 Like

Re: Nokia Looks To Sell Headquarters To Raise Cash!!! by jedisco(m): 8:42pm On Oct 03, 2012
kellystech: Dey should just give up dia ego and sign contract with google to produce android, dem go sell scatter cos people still loves dia product

You should first tell yourself how many android OEMs apart from Samsung are making sizeable profits. They all have a higher chance at being bought before Nokia.
Re: Nokia Looks To Sell Headquarters To Raise Cash!!! by jedisco(m): 8:45pm On Oct 03, 2012
Lord_Reed:

Take it easy man. No one says Nokia is moving out, read the article well. It clearly states that Nokia will lease back the property.

Clearly states?? Maybe I forgot my glasses.
But if Nokia pointing out others that have done thesame and rented it back is what you mean by clearly stating that they're going to rent it back then that is lacking.
Re: Nokia Looks To Sell Headquarters To Raise Cash!!! by Nobody: 8:59pm On Oct 03, 2012
Lord_Reed:

Relax man Nokia hasn't made a public advert yet so you not see it in the Dailies yet.

ok na...i don hear sad sad sad
Re: Nokia Looks To Sell Headquarters To Raise Cash!!! by adewaleafolabi(m): 9:11pm On Oct 03, 2012
What we would be nice to see is two dying companies (Nokia & Blackberry) merge. Who knows what might come out of it but certainly not an iphone killer or even Galaxy challenger.
Both companies are a victim of their own unwillingness to embrace change
Re: Nokia Looks To Sell Headquarters To Raise Cash!!! by kellystech(m): 9:26pm On Oct 03, 2012
Dear Nokia,
I fear the next time I write you, it will be to say goodbye.
I’ve noticed you’ve run into a bit of trouble lately with your handset business. It seems as though you could use some advice from someone who cares. Allow me to start from the beginning.
You had one clear message when you announced your first Microsoft powered Lumia phones: these are the real Windows Phone devices. And you weren’t just blowing hot air. Microsoft backed you up. They even appeared on stage to help drum up excitement and drive that message home.
You seemed to hold a special place in the manufacturing line for Microsoft. Where RIM and Apple make their own hardware, Nokia, you would be that for Microsoft. You made sure Microsoft felt comfortable with that decision by going all in on Windows Phone, too. Then came the announcement of the Microsoft Surface.
Instead of the Lumia Surface, or Lumia 10 (for ten inches), Microsoft announced they’d be making their own hardware. Ouch. Sorry, Nokia. Apparently, even though you pledged allegiance to Microsoft, they still couldn’t trust you to deliver. You aren’t good enough to make their flagship tablet. But at least you still have phones, right? Yeah, about that.
This past week, HTC teamed up with Microsoft to announce both the Windows Phone 8X and Windows Phone 8S
. HTC is calling itself “the new face of Windows Phone.” Which is totally cool with Microsoft. I mean, c’mon, Windows Phone is the name of both devices.
Shouldn’t you have Windows Phone in the title of your devices? Like the Windows Phone Lumia? Microsoft is getting behind HTC now. You can keep doing their thing, but HTC is where it’s at
. Again, sorry, Nokia. Microsoft couldn’t trust you with tablets, and now they can’t trust you with phones. So what now?
Elop, we know you made some rather unfriendly comments towards Android in the past. But we’re willing to forgive you. And so is Google. I’m sure they’d love to work with you.
Look. We’ve seen the article in Reuters
. Reporting that you, Elop, have until early 2013 to turn things around. To prove that betting the farm on Microsoft was the right thing to do. Do you really want to keep waiting? You placed everything you have in Microsoft, and they just proved they aren’t willing to place everything they have in you. How many more times do you have to be stabbed in the back by Ballmer and company before you realize it’s time to get out?
You don’t even have to do everything Google wants. If you don’t like how Android looks, change it. You can still lean on the massive ecosystem and developer support Google has amassed. No other platform can offer that to you. That’s the truth. Any other platform you could flock to would either limit what you can do with software or offer no developer and user support.
Nokia, Elop, you can make Android your own. It has a huge, robust ecosystem. It’s already the winning platform in terms of marketshare. The cost of admittance is free. What else do you want? You’re not Microsoft’s number one anyone. You’re playing second fiddle to HTC now.
I can promise you a Nokia manufactured Android device would sell like crazy. Look around you. Google search “Lumia Nexus
.” The demand is there. You just have to snatch the opportunity. You can still make Windows Phone devices if you want; both Samsung and HTC have a hand in Android and Windows. You’re just running out of time.
I hope this made some sense to you. You’re a master craftsman of hardware. You have some of the most talented engineers on the planet working for you. You have a loyal following. You know how to command the marketplace. Don’t waste it all waiting for Windows Phone to take off. I’d hate to see you go. We’d all hate to see you go.
Sincerely,
Dustin EarleyNext

4 Likes

Re: Nokia Looks To Sell Headquarters To Raise Cash!!! by chucky234(m): 9:36pm On Oct 03, 2012
jedisco: This is the most biased and untrue version of this story I've seen.

As for the doom day prophets, you should know that apart from Apple and perhaps Samsung, Nokia has a much better chance of survival than say BB, HTC, Motorolla or the mobile division of Sony, and most other OEMs.
They've got enough patents to last a life time. Also their navigation and map service is doing very well with more than 4 in 5 (85%) of inbuilt navigation systems in vehicles using it. Currently being used by Mercedes, Volks Wagen, Hyundai, Audi Pioneer, Oracle, Bing, Garmin, Groupon, Amazon and a whole lot more.
So even in the most unlikely of situations where their new Lumia phones don't sell too well, they will still be around for quite some time.

Where did you borrowed your lies,the fact that Nokia is cash crunched is an open secret as their market shares has been on down slide in the last few years.
For you to say that Nokia has a better chance of survival than HTC shows that you don't have a clue about what is happening in the global telephony industry,almost all the manufacturers you listed above including the ailing Nokia depend on HTC for many software.
When you said patents what were you referring to?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

5800 Games Collection / How To See Who Viewed Your Whatsapp Profile / How Stupid Is The Iphone

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.