Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,746 members, 7,809,845 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:56 PM

Virus Problem W32/rontokbro.gen@mm. I Really Need Some Help - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Virus Problem W32/rontokbro.gen@mm. I Really Need Some Help (8713 Views)

Do I Really Need An Antivirus For Windows 8.1? / Shortcut Virus Removal From Windows 7 PC / "My Removable Device" Shortcut Virus - Help (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Virus Problem W32/rontokbro.gen@mm. I Really Need Some Help by zazzy(m): 9:54am On Aug 05, 2006
Im very disturbed by the recurrence of this virus in my network W32/Rontokbro.gen@MM . I have MC CAFFE 2006 ENTERPRISE EDITION . i need someone to help me out . this virus is breaking my billing software
Re: Virus Problem W32/rontokbro.gen@mm. I Really Need Some Help by Neoteny(m): 5:38pm On Aug 05, 2006
i too am plagued by the same worm. im currently using brontok washer to remove brontok's main files and all the infected executables but i dont think theres any program that can completely purge ur system clean. first disable system restore, then google brontok washer. cant remember where i got mine but i think its www.softpedia.com. goodluck bro.
Re: Virus Problem W32/rontokbro.gen@mm. I Really Need Some Help by otokx(m): 12:34pm On Aug 08, 2006
i had to reformat my system and load norton 2002 then update it. all those removal tools did not work or i was not patient due to time constraint and my critical database. right now if u insert a floppy disk/flash drive in my system it will just clean it clean. (you get what i mean)
Re: Virus Problem W32/rontokbro.gen@mm. I Really Need Some Help by mekoyo(m): 1:08pm On Aug 08, 2006
Hey dis virus also affected my system, i had to format the hard disk and install the latest norton anti virus. men the thing delete everything called Virus. cool
Re: Virus Problem W32/rontokbro.gen@mm. I Really Need Some Help by skima(m): 2:30pm On Aug 08, 2006
i was also infected by same virous. Some brought it from a cybercafe and dump on our a laptop at home so i copied a file from the laptop to my PC then there i go. It just kept replicating. I'd to reformat my PC while we tried to clean the laptop. We used MC Afee enterprice edition (licensed). Though it cleaned to some extent but we stilll saw some of the left overs.

So at the end of the day, we had to reformat the Laptop, till now the laptop is faulty (as in all the add-on software from DELL gone!) Audio driver gone! well we still wanna take the laptop to DELL dealer if they can help restore it.

The virus is BAD!!!! lipsrsealed undecided shocked
Re: Virus Problem W32/rontokbro.gen@mm. I Really Need Some Help by wilkanah(m): 5:01pm On Aug 12, 2006
hi,
had virus problems recently, not the same type of virus but t was also a worm. i think it would help if you gave more detailed information, like the symptoms, blah blah.
in any case someone here suggested avg from www.grisoft.com/.
t worked.
Re: Virus Problem W32/rontokbro.gen@mm. I Really Need Some Help by LiquidMind(m): 6:20pm On Aug 12, 2006
The truth is. Only running a patch will remove it completely. installing antivirus is not the solution
Re: Virus Problem W32/rontokbro.gen@mm. I Really Need Some Help by woleprof(m): 1:34pm On Aug 29, 2006
Boy, this same virus is replicating in my system now. i need urgent help too. ialso want to know if its a new kind of virus. im trying to trace it back to hw it came into my system. please, i need urgent helpl oo
Re: Virus Problem W32/rontokbro.gen@mm. I Really Need Some Help by shaiguy(m): 9:05am On Sep 06, 2006
Hope this doesn't come in too late

Get a copy of hiren 8.1 cd(Search for it over the net)
burn the iso image to cd
boot your system off the cd
select antivirus
select mcafee
scan
am betting if your system is as bad as you say it is, the antivirus will detect thousands of viruses and wipe them off,
reboot your system
update your operating system and virus definitions, ensure your firewall is operational and you will be fine. Trust me you will be fine.
Re: Virus Problem W32/rontokbro.gen@mm. I Really Need Some Help by woleprof(m): 6:52pm On Sep 06, 2006
Thanks, i will do just that.
Re: Virus Problem W32/rontokbro.gen@mm. I Really Need Some Help by zero1: 11:20am On Sep 12, 2006
http://www.sofotex.com/NOD32-download_L13835.html. i thhink you should use nod32. the best antivirus ever
Re: Virus Problem W32/rontokbro.gen@mm. I Really Need Some Help by saddik(m): 9:05am On Sep 14, 2006
i have encountered these king of malicious worms as norton lab called them, one of the safest way is to backup ur data and format them, done, that is it. most programms will tell u that ur system has been cleaned, but na lie embarassed. i dont know bout iquids advise, but whatever d case, best solution is FORMAT and replace ur data, ur system will be like new.
Re: Virus Problem W32/rontokbro.gen@mm. I Really Need Some Help by wizard247(m): 8:18am On Oct 03, 2007
i got rid of the damn worm with the solo antiviruse. it effectively removes worms, trojans, scripts, viruses, i also cleaned my system with regcleaner and Ccleaner. I did all this in safe mode with system restore shut off but my folder options are still gone! How do i get them back! angry undecided cry
Re: Virus Problem W32/rontokbro.gen@mm. I Really Need Some Help by Nobody: 11:12am On Oct 03, 2007
if its not avast or kaspersky antivirus, nothing else will wipe it off
Re: Virus Problem W32/rontokbro.gen@mm. I Really Need Some Help by broadcode(m): 12:23pm On Oct 03, 2007
AVG will detect the virus.
Download the recent release from grisoft.com. I think it is version 7.5.488;
Uninstall any antivirus you might have on your operating system;
Install the new AVG;
Run a complete scane.

AVG detects all the virus and it would prompt you to detect the infected files or send them to Vault.

NB: If the infected files are windows files i.e. located in the 'WINDOWS' folder on your C:/ drive, you may need to format your system because if you delect those files, your system might not boot.

Hope it works.

Tunde
Re: Virus Problem W32/rontokbro.gen@mm. I Really Need Some Help by Nobody: 12:31pm On Oct 03, 2007
There is hope for people infected by the rontokbro virus. I was on the verge of formatting my system when i came across a series of posts that eventually helped me get rid of the thing. Follow the steps in the right order and you should be ok.

1.Turn off your system restore
2. Download the damage clean up engine from trend micro website as well. it should be tsc( .exe or so)
3. Download an antivirus called sysclean.exe from the trend micro website along with its virus pattern file( should be lpt635 or something like that) and save
in a folder directly in your c: drive (example spyware tools)- most important
4. Download a software called f-prot along with its virus pattern file also to the spyware folder( google f-prot and you will find it as well)
5. Download a software called brontgui. you will have to google and search for this one as well.
6. Unzip all downloaded files into the main C:\spyware tools folder (so that there is no other folder within it( such as f-prot of sysclean). if while doing this, it asks you whether to replace any already existing files, click 'yes to all'
7. If you don't already have one, get a free antivirus such as avast! but do not install it. simply keep the installation file somewhere you can easily locate it. (kapersky might be the best but the pirated version is wack as it does not update properly)
8. Disconnect the computer from any network or the internet.
9. Empty all virus chests and then uninstall ALL antivirus programs.
10. Switch off/ restart your computer and hold f8 down immediately it starts to boot to put it into safe mode.
11. Select safe mode with command prompt and your operating system.
12. Login to your account
13. At the command prompt( C:> or C:>documents and settings) use the following commands to initiate the different antivirus programs you downloaded.

14. cd\spyware tools ( or whatever you named that folder)
C:>spyware tools> tsc (it will load)
C:>spyware tools> brontgui (interface is simple to use- to be very sure, set the config to scan all files including those viruses cannot be in)
C:>spyware tools> f-prot/NOFLOPPY (interface is simple to use- to be sure, set the config to scan all files including those viruses can't be in)
C:>spyware tools> sysclean (this one takes over an hour to scan and is the most important so be patient )

15.Run all the scans at least twice.
16. Click ctrl+alt+del to open the task manager and locate restart.
17. Let your computer start normally.
18. Install your fresh antivirus (avast recommended) and let it restart your computer to do its own scanning.(If it doesn't ask to restart. locate and click 'schedule boot time scan' to make it restart)
19. When it finally restarts, connect to the internet, update your antivirus and you're ready to go.
20. if it still popps up (i'm sure very occasionally, run the scans again and you should be fine)
21. If you are still getting plenty pop ups, you might need to manually delete some registry keys by going to start/run/regedit and deleting the key Hkey_Current_User\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
\Policies\Explorer\
Data: NoFolderOptions = 1
though i recommend getting someone who knows about tampering with a registry to do this.

22.If all this no work. carry your pc go mfm
Re: Virus Problem W32/rontokbro.gen@mm. I Really Need Some Help by soulonfire(f): 11:00am On Oct 04, 2007
I had the same issue last yr its a worm called Rontok, Brontok , To be sure, go to open a terminal and try to run a program or comand. If at this point ur system hangs or restarts or evn shutsdpwn bt itself then u have a visitor from worm land.

Nature: duplicates folders on ur hard disk, and makes them executables, among other tins. The worm attacks ur Win32files and folders. This are system folders, and this implies it has developd to its advanced stage.

Avast! was the anti virus i used to rid myself of the mess of this uncelebrateble Alien! Node32 is also gud. As at March or so, it was number 1 after wich was Avast ,

However, if ur system has bin eaten up so bad, u myt follow any of the advice given by the house. U can also reinstall the operatin sys - if XP - choosing the " Kip existin files" option as u proceed.

NB[b] NB: IF U ALREDY HAVE AN ANTI VIRUS ON YOUR SYSTEM PLEAS PLEASE AND PLEASE UNINSTALL THAT ANTI VIRUS BEFORE INSTALLING AVAST OR ANY OTHER ANTI VIRUS AT ALL, ELSE U SPELL DOOM FOR UR SYS AND U!![/b]

GudLuk
Re: Virus Problem W32/rontokbro.gen@mm. I Really Need Some Help by topeteadr(m): 11:07am On Oct 04, 2007
Hey guys there is a way to removep rontok bro by yourself i would tech you but not now i am on phone when i log on to my pc
Re: Virus Problem W32/rontokbro.gen@mm. I Really Need Some Help by theboy0808(m): 11:31am On Oct 04, 2007
Bro I have the solution for you!
Get Kapersky 7.0.0.125 not .127 cause .125 is more stable than .127
Install it and then connect to the internet and let it update
Then run virus scan!
It will eat/wolf down any virus in the system.
Make sure you update regularly.
Get a valid key!
If you have anywhere you can be contacted I'll send it to you with the key and stuff
Re: Virus Problem W32/rontokbro.gen@mm. I Really Need Some Help by eduaustin(m): 1:26pm On Oct 04, 2007
@theboy0808, please i will also like have a copy of that KAPERSKY if u dont mind. i had simillar problem with one of our systems, we actually reformated but i guess thats really not the best solution. email : edubenye@yahoo.com
Re: Virus Problem W32/rontokbro.gen@mm. I Really Need Some Help by wizard247(m): 11:24am On Oct 10, 2007
@theboy0808! i was on the verge of formatting my PC but i am not prepared to lose all my 160gig of files and info, please send me the copy of that kapersky 7.0.0.125, francofjx@yahoo.com cheesy

Currently, my systems seems to be stable again but i still don't have my folder options!
I cannot also unistall anything becoz it tells me my "registry editing is disabled!" lipsrsealed
Re: Virus Problem W32/rontokbro.gen@mm. I Really Need Some Help by wizard247(m): 11:30am On Oct 10, 2007
tope-teadr! u r online! give me some tips please, shocked
Re: Virus Problem W32/rontokbro.gen@mm. I Really Need Some Help by easkde1(m): 8:06pm On Nov 29, 2007
hi, my systems was infected by this worm. the solution is that you should download either avira antivirus or kaspesky both will eliminate this worm panda 2008 edition is also good.
Re: Virus Problem W32/rontokbro.gen@mm. I Really Need Some Help by zandreadi: 10:48pm On Dec 29, 2008
TO GET UR FOLDER OPTIONS BACK AND REGISTRY EDITING IE. ENABLE UR REGISTRY, YOU DO NOT NEED TO FORMAT UR SYSTEM AND LOSE DATA JUST PERFORM A SYSTEM REPAIR USING YOUR WINDOWS XP BOOTABLE CD AND YOU WILL BE FREE ENTIRELY.
Re: Virus Problem W32/rontokbro.gen@mm. I Really Need Some Help by zandreadi: 11:00pm On Dec 29, 2008
TO GET UR FOLDER OPTIONS BACK AND REGISTRY EDITING IE. ENABLE UR REGISTRY, YOU DO NOT NEED TO FORMAT UR SYSTEM AND LOSE DATA JUST PERFORM A SYSTEM REPAIR USING YOUR WINDOWS XP BOOTABLE CD AND YOU WILL BE FREE ENTIRELY.
Re: Virus Problem W32/rontokbro.gen@mm. I Really Need Some Help by netotse(m): 11:45pm On Dec 29, 2008
cant seem to understand why anyone would post in all CAPS even if the person didnt know it was rude the thing looks ugly now, haba
Re: Virus Problem W32/rontokbro.gen@mm. I Really Need Some Help by cy4ril: 10:19pm On Jan 06, 2012
Pls do anybody have the following software in stock:

Internet Download Manager (IDM) 6.0.7 or Download Accelerator Manager (DAM) 4.5.3
PDF Complete 3.5.116
USB Disk Security 6.00.126
WinZip 16.0.9686 or WinRAR 4.65

Reply back with their price to cy4real141@yahoo.com

(1) (Reply)

Which Shud I Buy Hp Pavilion Dv6 Or Hp Pavilion G6? / Dell Latitude E5420 320GB Core I5 4gb Ram — N65k (Giveaway Price) / 60 Million Nigerians To Have Internet Access By 2013

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.