Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,876 members, 7,956,307 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 09:37 AM

What Does Atheism Have To Offer? - A Discourse - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Does Atheism Have To Offer? - A Discourse (779 Views)

Atheism Is Frustrating. / My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! / Atheism Vs Deism (vs Theism) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Does Atheism Have To Offer? - A Discourse by Zikdik(m): 5:25pm On Nov 03, 2014
Often religious people talk about how much their
faith enriches their lives. Sometimes, a religious
person will even ask atheists what we can offer
that will enrich lives. In the market place of ideas
this seems like a fair question. What does atheism
have to offer?
It should be noted that while this seems like a fair
question, it is a little misleading. Atheism isn’t an
idea in the market place of ideas in and of itself.
Atheism is the lack of belief in the ideas presented
by religion in the market place. However, many
atheists have formed communities around ideas of
skepticism, humanism, science, reason, and logic.
These ideas can compete with religious ideas in
the market place of ideas.
None of the communities of atheism offer certainty.
We can’t know with absolute certainty that the sun
will rise tomorrow but based on the evidence, it
would be a pretty solid bet. While religion does
often offer the stability of certainty as a selling
point atheism can only offer uncertainty. However,
the uncertainty that science and reason offer is
almost certainly more certain than the certainty
that religion offers. We know what we know and we
know what we don’t know. Religion claims to know
what they do not actually know. They are often
certain of proven wrong answers.
Religions often make claims about a life after death
and traditionally, these claims feature some form of
paradise. Whether such a paradise merely is the
promise of a blissful eternity or includes details
such as 72 virgins is not really important. The
important part is the contrast that atheism cannot
offer such a paradise. The evidence suggests that
when we die, we are dead . As depressing as that
might sound to someone expecting an eternity of
bliss, I don’t see it that way. Many atheists like me
see our lives as part of a greater tapestry of
human history and as long as that tapestry exists,
part of each of us lives on. We are part of
something larger than ourselves.
Another popular and attractive claim of religions is
that we as a species have been created for some
sort of special purpose and God has a special plan
for each of us as individuals. In other words, we
are special because we were created special. Most
atheists reject this claim on the lack of evidence.
However, there is an alternative view that we can
offer. That is the view that we were not created
special, but that we are becoming special through
our ability to reason and learn about the world
around us. Being special isn’t some cheap gift
from a divine creator, but rather it is something
that we are in the process of earning through
struggle and because we are smart and clever.
Atheism offers the one thing that religion cannot
offer, reality. Critical thinking offers the tools
needed to protect ourselves from delusions.
Atheism offers the potential that can only come
through uncertainty. Atheism offers the individual
empowerment to add to the tapestry of humanity.
By enriching our lives and the lives of those
around us, we are enriching the future of humanity.
Atheists don’t need to dogmatically follow some
ancient book when we have the ability to shape the
future of our species. We can learn from the past
and apply what we learn to the future, but we don’t
live and long for the past when we can offer the
future.
Source- http://www.examiner.com/article/atheism-101-what-does-atheism-have-to-offer

2 Likes

Re: What Does Atheism Have To Offer? - A Discourse by Mayour11(m): 6:11pm On Nov 03, 2014
Some atheists are living a life that is more comfortable than some of us who profess to have faith in God. More so, some faith based people will do some certain things that even an atheist will not do. To me, What matters most in life is how the world is able to feel your coming to this world.
Re: What Does Atheism Have To Offer? - A Discourse by plaetton: 6:41pm On Nov 03, 2014
For one, atheism is an antidote against the devil, witches, demons and evil spirits.
So an atheist is by default, innocculated against these ailments of the human psyche. grin

With clarity in their minds, atheists are fair minded, usually taking the most rational approach to see and addressing issues.

Atheists are more charitable, more compassionate, take responsibility for their actions without looking for a devil or demon to blame.

As an atheist, I see all the christians around me struggling with the internal and embarrassing contradictions of their faith.
The devil is always haunting them everywhere.

I have come to realize that this devil that they so much lament about are actually the internal contradictions of their beliefs.
So the devil serves as a useful buffer against cognitive dissonace.

This is why the devil and demons do not bother atheists. grin

5 Likes

Re: What Does Atheism Have To Offer? - A Discourse by Nobody: 6:42pm On Nov 03, 2014
cool
Re: What Does Atheism Have To Offer? - A Discourse by Sunymoore(m): 6:43pm On Nov 03, 2014
Re: What Does Atheism Have To Offer? - A Discourse by Infomizer(m): 6:44pm On Nov 03, 2014
plaetton:
For one, atheism is an antidote against the devil, witches, demons and evil spirits.
So an atheist is by default, innocculated against these ailments of psyche. grin

With clarity in their minds, atheists are fair minded, usually taking the most rational approach to see and addressing issues.

Atheists are more charitable, more compassionate, take responsibility for their actions without looking for a devil or demon to blame.

As an atheist, I see all the christians around me struggling with the internal and embarrassing contradictions of their faith.

I have come to realize that this devil that they so much lament about are actually the internal contradictions of their beliefs.

That antidote part sha...so fücking true!
Re: What Does Atheism Have To Offer? - A Discourse by Zikdik(m): 7:10pm On Nov 03, 2014
Sunymoore:
This will do
https://www.nairaland.com/1199142/what-stand-gain-being-atheist
I guess this thread adequately replied you then.

1 Like

Re: What Does Atheism Have To Offer? - A Discourse by UyiIredia(m): 10:31pm On Nov 03, 2014
plaetton:
So an atheist is by default, innocculated against these ailments of the human psyche. grin

with all these said don't repeat the worn out mantra of atheism not being a belief.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Does Atheism Have To Offer? - A Discourse by Zikdik(m): 11:27pm On Nov 03, 2014
UyiIredia:

with all these said don't repeat the worn out mantra of atheism not being a belief.
Uyi my man, I think it's quite simple. Lack of something can not be a type of that thing. Bald hair is not an hair colour.

1 Like

Re: What Does Atheism Have To Offer? - A Discourse by Oduduwaboy(m): 1:45am On Nov 04, 2014
My lack of believe in god/gods has given me peace of mind; something that eluded me as a faithful christian. I was always battling imaginary enemies! lol.
A cousin of mine has stopped picking calls from her siblings and Mother because of the 'word of knowledge' of a pastor!
As an atheist( though i hate labels since their is no word for people who dont believe in Zeus) , whenever i meet a problem, i start thinking of a rational solution and this formula has been working for me.
Re: What Does Atheism Have To Offer? - A Discourse by Femmymata2(m): 4:07am On Nov 04, 2014
Athiesm made me conquer cultural and religious fears. Though, i don't assume to have answers to all questions of life,but i keep an open and critical mind on them.

(1) (Reply)

7 Misquoted Bible Phrases / Penticostalism... The Life And Death Of Christianity In Nigeria / Why Is There Seperation Of Seats In Some Churches?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.