Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,725 members, 7,827,636 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 02:36 PM

*** ATLANTIS *** (An adventure/fantasy story) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / *** ATLANTIS *** (An adventure/fantasy story) (1580 Views)

E. Fantasy(short Stories) / The Adventure Of Corper John / NYSC: National Year Of Sex And Comfort <<<Adventure of the year: 2013 Awards >>> (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

*** ATLANTIS *** (An adventure/fantasy story) by Nobody: 9:01pm On Nov 03, 2014

TITLE: Atlantis

GENRE: Fantasy and Adventure

CHAPTER ONE

The smooth breeze continued blowing over the water, causing it to form waves that moved back and forth.

Jason stared at the water from the boat, he wasn't actually looking at the marvel of nature but was deep in his thought. The nearly silent tune of Beethoven's symphony revebrated through his mind.

"You look just like him" said a calm voice. Jason turned his head to catch a glimpse of whoever was speaking, he smiled, it was the captain.

The boat was a big orange mass with a lot of machines, cranes and engines hoisted on it, one of the best to cruise the ocean.

"Your dad, you are just like." continued the captain.

"He'd stand there, staring at the ocean" added the captain, joining Jason at the railing and pointing at the water to emphasize his point, Jason's brown wooly hair began to waver as the wind caught on.

"I don't suppose there's any way i can talk you out of going down there?" asked the captain.

"You could try, but you'd be wasting your time" replied Jason.

"Even if you locate the wreckage of his submarine, what then?" asked the captain again trying to put off Jason.

"I have to know what happened to him"

"Do you think your dad would have wanted you to risk your life?"

"When he took the sub down..." Jason paused before bowing his head. "...He knew he wasn't coming back" He completed before looking at the captain.

Jason looked down, there was a platinum horn shaped pendant in his hand, a string was attached to it so it could be worn as a necklace.

"He gave it to me before he left"

"He told me that one day i'd understand"

"I need to know" requested Jason, he looked sincere.

The captain smiled. "I hope you find it" he said, resting his hand on Jason's shoulder.

"Whatever it is you are looking for"

Jason couldn't help but smile back at him.

A crane began the lifting of a rectangular submersible pod. Jason sat inside at the controls looking through the thick glass.

"You are clear to dive, roger that" commanded the captain through a PA system, he was now sitting at his station, he sat back.

The pod continued descending into the water, within a few moments, it touched the ocean bed.

Jason tapped a few buttons on a dial above his head bringing the pod into an underwater valley, the lights of the pod were all on, the life monitors continued to beep.

The valley seemed to be covered in a sort of thick mist. Jason shifted the joy stick like steering pulling the pod in.

Something appeared on the radar scanner. Jason looked at it through the glass. Pieces of ancient parchment gathered, forming a word - The Oracle.

Jason's eyes were almost blinded by a strong white light, he applied force on the steering trying to pull out, he couldn't.

The gale of the water increased, pushing the pod in all directions. The metal grinded as it scratched against the ocean bed, an alarm was beeping furiously.

The pod spiralled out of control as it was sucked into a vortex. Jason keyed in some commands. They returned, negative.

"Mac?"

"Mac come in"

"Mac!" This time his voice sounded desperate, the alarm beeped even faster, he was heading into the white light.

The metal continued to clang, the glass was cracking with the impact of water, it broke. Jason shielded his face with his arms as the cascade poured in.

A middle aged woman wearing a hood opened her eyes, a lamp was burning behind her. Smoke began to fill the air causing her face to disappear, she spoke.

"Jason."
Re: *** ATLANTIS *** (An adventure/fantasy story) by Nobody: 9:25pm On Nov 03, 2014
The water seemed to be pushing out something, it was the wet body of a man, it was Jason.

He opened his eyes as the tide dropped him on the sandy beach, he wasn't wearing any clothes. The horn shaped necklace was now hanging at his neck, he got up.

He could hear distant chatter as a canoe fleeted.

"Hey! Hey!" he tried to call out waving his arm but they couldn't hear him. He began walking and stumbled upon some clothes - a jacket made of leather, trousers made of animal skin and rope sandals.

"Hey!" he really needed someone to tell him what was going on, the canoe was gone now. He picked up the clothes and wore them before crawling on the sand to get a view of whatever existed beyond the beach.

It was a city, he got up to get a better look. The city was surrounded by huge walls. He continued towards it, maybe someone there had the answers he needed now.

He reached the gates of the city. People were trooping in and out on foot, donkeys or horses, some carried goods in carts. He entered and was greeted by a lot of noise - the fluttering of birds in their cage, haystacks been moved, men and women were bargaining. It was an alien market environment, someone offered him a melon, it wasn't for free though, a lamb bleated as it was dragged past, a couple of good samaritans dropped minted coins into the bowl of a disabled began, a strange animal was snoring away close to a pile of wood.

It had two heads with spikes and a predatoral body.

"I'm dreaming" thought Jason before stretching out his hand to touch it. The beast lunged at him.
Re: *** ATLANTIS *** (An adventure/fantasy story) by Nobody: 6:13am On Nov 04, 2014
This is a story to be enjoyed by fans of Greek mythology and all. Jason ends up washed on the shores of the city of Atlantis where he meets new friends and foes, magic and monsters meanwhile evil is brewing.
Re: *** ATLANTIS *** (An adventure/fantasy story) by Nobody: 10:28am On Nov 04, 2014
Jason, let the sleeping dog lie.
Re: *** ATLANTIS *** (An adventure/fantasy story) by stuff46(m): 12:01pm On Nov 04, 2014
followinq
Re: *** ATLANTIS *** (An adventure/fantasy story) by Nobody: 6:42pm On Nov 04, 2014
This story is a collaboration between me and Amenbaby

The two headed beast charged at Jason, jason stumbled before crashing into a cart. The cart toppled over and apples, vegetables and grapes rolled out.

The creature snarled as Jason got back on his feet, chasing after him.

Jason quickly hid behind a cage containing two pigeons hoping that the creature would not find him there. The cage broke into pieces as the creature broke through freeing the pigeons and going after him. Jason stumbled his way through the marketplace, running into a piece of silk that wrapped round him, he dropped it and leaped over an obstacle in his way. The traders were beginning to look in his direction in a bid to find the cause of all this turmoil. Jason crashed into a fat man bringing him and all his stock down before falling on the ground. The creature was almost there.

Jason quickly picked a pumpkin and gave it to one of the heads as a distraction, the pumpkin was squashed by its needlelike sharp teeth. Jason grabbed a nearby basket and used it to cover the heads before hitting it continously with a big stick.

The creature stopped moving, it was dead. A couple of men rushed towards him. They wore helmets, armour, a cape and a sheated shortsword which they drew. Jason tried to explain.

"This lizard thing attacked me" suprisingly he could understand and speak their language. The men didn't care and charged after him, he took to his heels.

He climbed up a stone carved staircase, the guards followed him. Soon he was on top of the huge city walls. He sprinted.

An archer stood at one of the watchtowers, stretching his bow and fired.

Nepa nor dey good to me. Will update as soon as the light comes back on
Re: *** ATLANTIS *** (An adventure/fantasy story) by Nobody: 8:29pm On Nov 04, 2014
Up Nepa

Jason tried to stop and dodge, it was too late. The arrow lodged in his right arm causing him to wince in pain. Jason pulled it out, blood flowed freely from the wound. He took off, running faster. More archers assembled on the watchtower, taking their aims.

Jason stopped, maintaining his balance as two arrows whizzed past, missing him by whiskers. Jason jumped as another arrow went on him. More arrows clattered on the walls in a barrage as the archers continued to fire.

Jason ran into a section of the wall, a large brick structure with a door and came out through another.

His run came to a halt as guard appeared on the other end of the wall. He turned to go back, more guards came out through the door, there was only one way out.

Jason looked beyond the walls and gathered momentum by running. He jumped, falling into the city below.

A slim man with scrawny brown hair and a long face in a room was busy constructing triangles on wet clay using a stick. He heard a thud as sand from his mortar decked roof dripped on his work. There was a rumbling sound, he saw a screaming man falling outside the window and dusted his work.

Jason grabbed a ledge and hanged on to it but he was losing his grip. He panted, trying to climb up. He had just one hand on the ledge now and his fingers were disengaging.

A hand grabbed him before he fell to his death, it was the slim man who was drawing triangles.

"Oh!" he puffed out, trying to pull him through the window. Jason added his other hand and they strained. The man exerted all strength and succeeded in bringing in Jason through the window.

"Thank you. Thanks, thank you" said Jason hugging the man, he stopped speaking when he ran out of words.

"What exactly were you doing out there?" asked the man, trying to free himself from the big embrace, Jason allowed him to go.

"Search every house! Find him! Open up in there!" ordered the leader of the guards after he finished bellowing some orders.

"I didn't do anything" said Jason, pleading.

"One minute i was on the submersible pod and there was something in the water, a white light, and the next thing i know, i'm waking up on the beach, and there's this city, and everyone's wearing strange clothes, and there's a two headed lizard, and people with swords, they're chasing me, and they 're firing arrows at me. I know it's insane" explained Jason, the man was clearly confused.

"What's a submersible pod?" asked the man.

"Open up! Open up." somebody was thumping on the door.

"By order of king Minos, open up!" the man walked towards the wooden door to open it.

"No! Please. Please." begged Jason.

The door rattled as the leader of the guards flung it open and entered with his sword drawn.

"Who is it you are looking for?" asked the slim man, the leader was followed by more guards.

"A fugitive" replied the leader of the guards before making to search the room. One of the guards carelessly brought down a scroll lurking in a shelf. The slim man wanted to rush and pick it but was held back by one of the guards. Things were thrown in various directions during the search.

"No, no, no! That's mine. No!" said the slim man as the leader of the guards picked up a scroll and squeezed it into a ball before throwing it away.

"As you can see, there is no-one else here." said the slim man as the guards walked out. He wished he didn't say anything as the leader pushed his work-desk, turning it upside down in a fit of anger before leaving.

"Really?" asked the slim man to no one in particular. He quickly closed the door.

Two stools were on top a mat, underneath it was a manhole that led into a small compartment.

The slim man opened the manhole, underneath it was Jason, he was now unconscious.

The slim man continued to threat his wounds after tying them and laying him on a sheepskin.

"Argh" Jason grunted as the slim man applied some herbs to the wound and opened his eye to see his arm, he gasped.

"Look's like you passed out. You've lost a lot of blood."

Jason sat up to ask a question he had been waiting to ask, a question that bothered him on knowing he wasn't in a dream.

"Where am i?"

"You're in Atlantis" replied the slim man with a reassuring smile.

"Atlantis? As in the lost city of Atlantis? As in the mythological city under the ocean?" asked Jason.

"Why do you call it lost? How could a city exist under the ocean? Surely everyone would drown" replied the slim man.

"Am i dead?" asked Jason.

"No, you are very much alive, although i think you're delirious" replied the slim man.

"I'm sorry, i'm forgeting my manners. I'm Pythagoras" said the slim man leaving Jason shocked to the system.

"Pythagoras? You're joking? You're the triangle guy" replied Jason.

"How did you know I've been thinking about triangles?" asked Pythagoras.

"I'm in Ancient Greece" Jason realised. The door opened and a fat, bald man with a fine beard walked in.

"And who, pray tell, is this?" asked the man.
Re: *** ATLANTIS *** (An adventure/fantasy story) by Nobody: 9:42pm On Nov 04, 2014
I'm using a Nokia 2330 to update now so i can't get beyond 5000 words in a post

"You didn't tell me your name" said Pythagoras, pointing at Jason.

"It's Jason."

"He was injured, the guards were after him." said Pythagoras narrating to the fat, bald and chubby man that just walked in.

"And you chose to hide him here? Are you out of your mind?" asked the man, he was searching for wine on a rack where gourds and ceramic jugs were kept.

"Don't mind Hercules." said Pythagoras, Jason was shocked once again.

"You're Hercules?" questioned Jason, looking at the man who was still searching for wine. The man smiled and abandoned his search.

"I see my reputation has preceded me. Tell me. What have you heard? Do people tell stories? What do they say?" asked Hercules in a flurry, he was now beside Pythagoras.

"Well, they generally say you're getting fat" said Pythagoras, Hercules was ready to argue.

"I'm not fat! I am heavily built, powerful. I have big bones" said Hercules, his hands went towards his belly.

"In your stomach?" asked Pythagoras.

"You'll have to excuse my friend. He is under the deluded impression that he is amusing. Tell me, your injury. Can you walk?" asked Hercules, the question was made for Jason.

"Yes. I think so" Hercules was getting at something.

"Good. Then we shan't detain you any longer. I'm sure you're a good man, an excellent man. But I, for one, am not about to risk my neck to save yours. See that he's gone by the time I get back" said Hercules before leaving.

"Where are you going?" asked Pythagoras.

"That is not your concern" said Hercules shutting the door. Jason stood, almost petrified.

"So, what brings you...to Atlantis?" asked Pythagoras.

"I was searching for my father"

"He lives here in Atlantis?"

"I don't know. I don't know where to start" concluded Jason. Pythagoras saw something on Jason that aroused his attention.

"Your necklace?" it was the horn shaped pendant dangling around Jason's neck. Pythagoras stepped forward to take a closer look.

"I have seen this symbol before"

"Where?" asked Jason.

"In the Temple of Poseidon. It is the mark of the Oracle. If you're looking for your father, she may be able to help you" replied Pythagoras.

For the first time, Jason knew where to go.

The street was covered in stone tiles. At one end was a magnifichent building with steps. It was an archetype of greek architecture with its pillars, carvings and columns. It was the temple of Poseidon, the greek god of water.

A lot of people were moving in different directions, going about their businesses.

Jason walked up the steps and entered the temple. The roof was supported by a series of pillars on a straight line. In the middle was the sculpture of a large bull, its horns touched the roof. There were burning lamps beside each pillar to provide light.

Jason looked on as a group of people were being attended to by the Oracle, it was the middle aged woman wearing a hood. She laid her hands on Hercules's head before he left, so this was where he came to. The look on his face was not a happy one as he walked away.

"You wish to see the Oracle?" asked a man beside him. He was old and clean shaven. He wore a robe with cloth slung over his shoulder, he pointed the way.

The woman spoke in a special language before taking a cock from its cage, she took a knife with the other. The hen squawked loudly as her hand came down on it. The blood dripped into a bowl of water changing its color. Two horns were depicted on her back.

"What is it you wish to know? There must be many questions to which you wish to know the answer" said the man who had pointed him the way. He had followed him.

"What is this place? Where am I?" asked Jason, it was time for the oracle to speak.

"This world and the world you journeyed from are just two worlds among many."

"Why does it feel so familiar to me? I can speak the language"

"There are some memories that can never be erased."

"How can i have memories of a place that i have never been?"

"You cannot"

"You're saying that this is where I'm from? That i was born in Atlantis?"

"Your father took you to the other world when you were still a baby"

"Why? Why would he do that?"

"You have many enemies here in Atlantis. You must tell no-one that you journeyed through the gateway."

"My father, is he here in Atlantis? What happened to him?"

"Your father...walks among the dead." Her answer seemed to make Jason uncomfortable.

"My mother? I was told that she died shortly after i was born? Is this true? Who was she?"

The Oracle tried to look deep in her trance, it wasn't working.

"There are some things that even i cannot see."

"Then, if my father's dead, why am i here? Why was i brought here."

"You were drawn here...by forces so powerful that they stretch between the worlds."

"Yeah, but why?"

"Jason...only you...can bring an end to the people's fear and suffering." Jason didn't understand. He had barely met anybody.
Re: *** ATLANTIS *** (An adventure/fantasy story) by Nobody: 10:37pm On Nov 04, 2014

Now he was being destined to save them.

"What do you mean? What am i to do?" asked Jason curiously.

"We tell ourselves we are lost but really we know what we must do" said the Oracle.

"I don't know anything about this world."

"The first rays of the rising sun...will light the path you must follow."

"I don't understand. Answer me. I need to know more." The Oracle seemed to be getting weak as she could speak no further.

"You must go now" said the man who had followed him.

"No, no, i have too many questions" said Jason refusing to leave. The Oracle closed her eyes.

"There is nothing more the Oracle can tell you, you must leave. Go!" said the man, commanding with a fierce voice. Jason took glances at them and began to take his leave, soon he was gone.

The man walked towards the Oracle and confronted her.

"Why did you not tell him the truth?" He said, the Oracle looked away.

"Because...it will be much safer for him if he doesn't know who he really is."

Jason sat down on one of the steps of the temple, thinking and looking at whatever was happening on the street. Pythagoras walked up and sat beside him.

"Did you see the Oracle?" he asked, Jason nodded.

"And did she have any knowledge of your father?" Jason raised up his head and looked at Pythagoras.

"She told me my father is dead."

"I am truly sorry for your loss." It looked as if Pythagoras knew the feeling.

"Will you be returning home now?" Pythagoras continued.

"I'm not sure where my home is." Pythagoras looked at him and grinned, it was false and subtle.

"I never truly felt I belonged where I came from. I was always searching for something and till now, i don't know why."

An entourage of men beating drums began to walk towards them, some of the men wore horned cattle masks.

"What are they doing?" asked Jason.

"The tributes will be selected tomorrow. They have come to pray to Poseidon."

"What are these tributes?"

"Each year, Atlantis is required to send seven of its citizens as a sacrifice to the minotaur" replied Pythagoras.

"That actually exist?" whispered Jason, he didn't want anyone to know he was new.

"Well, of course. They say it was once a man, when he defied the gods, they punished him, turning him into a monster, cursed to feed on human flesh."

"And you just send these people to their deaths?" questioned Jason.

"Well, if we do not, then the gods will punish us. Poseidon, the Earth-Shaker will lay waste to the city."

"That's insane."

"Seven die so 20,000 can live...that's what we tell ourselves each year, but it doesn't make it any easier."

"It's getting late. There is a curfew the night before they select the tributes. They don't want to give people the chance to submit to their fear and flee the city" continued Pythagoras, he decided to help Jason out.

"Do you have somewhere to stay tonight?" he asked.

"No" answered Jason, he was downcast.

"Then you shall stay with us." said Pythagoras before standing up, he smiled cheerfully. Jason knew there was still a barrier.

"What about Hercules?" he asked, the reply made him wonder if this was the Hercules he knew of.

"He's usually so drunk when he returns from the tavern. He won't even notice you're there."
Re: *** ATLANTIS *** (An adventure/fantasy story) by Nobody: 5:46am On Nov 05, 2014
Interesting... #Following
Re: *** ATLANTIS *** (An adventure/fantasy story) by Nobody: 7:36pm On Nov 06, 2014
This lack of poll is annoying.
Re: *** ATLANTIS *** (An adventure/fantasy story) by Nobody: 4:56pm On Nov 07, 2014
Fixgoo:
This lack of poll is annoying.
Boss, calm down. I think using using mention will help.
It will make the people you mentioned feel obligated to respond.
When oga sammyhoe started here on Nl, he dedicte each posts to people.
Even till now, many of the writers here still use mention, so try to mention.
And have you read Audreytimms work? She wrote the first 32 posts- very long posts of story- without a comment, but now her thread has gotten to page 97. Patience is the key,bro, Patience.
And I have been reading, little time to answer.
Someone like me, I love comments also but I work with views; it inspires me...
Re: *** ATLANTIS *** (An adventure/fantasy story) by Timothy3113(m): 5:10pm On Nov 07, 2014
Divepen:

Boss, calm down. I think using using mention will help.
It will make the people you mentioned feel obligated to respond.
When oga sammyhoe started here on Nl, he dedicte each posts to people.
Even till now, many of the writers here still use mention, so try to mention.
And have you read Audreytimms work? She wrote the first 32 posts- very long posts of story- without a comment, but now her thread has gotten to page 97. Patience is the key,bro, Patience.
And I have been reading, little time to answer.
Someone like me, I love comments also but I work with views; it inspires me...
no mind d guy, he dont normally complete is story. You will see, he wont complete it. You can check is post for confirmation.
Re: *** ATLANTIS *** (An adventure/fantasy story) by Timothy3113(m): 5:12pm On Nov 07, 2014
Thread close

Re: *** ATLANTIS *** (An adventure/fantasy story) by Nobody: 6:25pm On Nov 07, 2014
Timothy3113:
no mind d guy, he dont normally complete is story. You will see, he wont complete it. You can check is post for confirmation.
Lol,,,, I know him... i thought following would help him complete a story at least...and that is what is happening in the Atlantis.... All he needs is our constant support.
Re: *** ATLANTIS *** (An adventure/fantasy story) by Nobody: 6:27pm On Nov 07, 2014
Timothy3113:
Thread close
You are a clown...Lol
Re: *** ATLANTIS *** (An adventure/fantasy story) by Timothy3113(m): 6:30pm On Nov 07, 2014
Divepen:

Lol,,,, I know him... i thought following would help him complete a story at least...and that is what is happening in the Atlantis.... All he needs is our constant support.
i fit bet anything untop am he no go complete am. Frm my experience on nairaland, no matter how good you are, you cant have more comment except you are consistent in writting. Many ppl give up cos of dis. But if you have a goal trust me, you will overcome it.

Re: *** ATLANTIS *** (An adventure/fantasy story) by Nobody: 6:45pm On Nov 07, 2014
ATLANTIS

This story is written by me not copied from any book.

I hope it has been interesting will update soon.
Re: *** ATLANTIS *** (An adventure/fantasy story) by Flakkydagirl: 7:58pm On Nov 07, 2014
Following...

I just hope the aforementioned prophecies don't come true about you never completing A̶̲̥̅ story.
Re: *** ATLANTIS *** (An adventure/fantasy story) by Nobody: 10:19am On Nov 08, 2014
Dedicated to divepen - always encouraging me, to Timothy3113 and flakkydagirl or so for challenging me to update, to stuff46 and promsman for following and making me feel happy.

Jason smiled at what Pythagoras said and followed suit as he walked away.

Hercules looked at both sides as he fastened a tough rope out of the window, then he heard footsteps close to the door, it must be Pythagoras, he quickly tossed the rope into a corner. Just then the door opened and Pythagoras walked in. He expected Pythagoras to shut the door, he didn't, the look on his face worsened as Jason came in. He signalled Pythagoras to come over.

"I don't wish to be rude...but what, in the name of the gods, is he still doing here?" whispered Hercules to the hearing of Pythagoras.

"I told him he could stay here with us" replied Pythagoras. Hercules opened his mouth to speak but nothing came out.

"He has just learnt that his father is dead" added Pythagoras. Jason stood at one corner of the room.

"I am very sorry to hear that, but we are harbouring a fugitive" replied Hercules, he looked back at Jason and smiled chivorously.

"And i think you're forgetting' its MY house" said Hercules laying emphasis on the my.

"And i think you're forgetting who settled your gambling debts to prevent your house being sold from under your feet" countered Pythagoras.

"I paid you back"

"No, you didn't actually"

"I am going to pay you back"

"He hasn't got anywhere else to go. We can't cast him out onto the street" pleaded Pythagoras referring to Jason. Hercules gave up, he wasn't going to be the bad guy.

"There are some blankets in the chest. I think i shall have an early night" He said before leaving for his room. Pythagoras was suprised, Hercules never went to bed without getting drunk.

"What is it?" asked Pythagoras.

"Nothing, I shall see you in the morning" replied Hercules before closing the door.

Soon Pythagoras was asleep. Jason slept on the floor covered with a blanket. Just then Hercules got up and sneaked to where he hid the rope. He looked at Pythagoras who must be dreaming of triangles. He didn't notice Jason wake up. He opened the door and walked out.

Jason ran into Pythagoras room to wake him up.

"What is it?" asked Pythagoras opening his eyes.

"It's Hercules, he's gone, I saw him creeping out." Immediately Pythagoras knew why.

"He's trying to flee the city before they select the tributes. If the guards catch him, they will execute him on sight" He said quickly putting on some clothes.

Two guards carrying flaming torches walked past the street on their nightly patrols. Jason and Pythagoras stretched their neck from the safety of a wall scanning the street for Hercules. Hercules exited a building where he was hiding with the rope as soon as the guards were gone.

"There he is, in plain sight" said Pythagoras before they began tailing him.

Soon Hercules was on top of the city's wall. He tied the rope to a piece of brick and threw it out in readiness to escape the city.

"Hercules" called out Pythagoras as they hid in the shade of a watchtower.

Hercules was ready to descend to the other side of the wall.

"Don't do it. If you flee, you will flee, you will be banished, you can never return to Atlantis."

"And if i stay, I die" replied Hercules.

"You don't know that, you take your chances with everyone else" said Pythagoras.

"My fate has already been decided. I've consulted the Oracle. She has seen it, I must go to the labyrinth and face the Minotaur." Pythagoras's mouth went wide agape, he managed to puff out. "No..."

"I won't be sent to my death. I am not ready to die" continued Hercules. "Come with me, we can make Pathmos by sunrise" he added, Jason was being forgotten.

"I cannot do that. My home is here in Atlantis" replied Pythagoras.

"Then, I fear this is goodbye" said Hercules. Pythagoras heard the faint sound of a bow stretching.

"Hercules!" There was an Archer a few steps away from them, he let go of the string. Hercules ducked in time for the arrow to fly past. More followed, in a bid to dodge them, Hercules stumbled and fell off the wall breaking his face with the roof of a shed. A goat bleated leading Pythagoras and Jason who managed to escape to him.

"Are you injured? Where does it hurt?" asked Pythagoras helping Hercules up.

"Everywhere" said Hercules before getting on his feet. Then they heard a roar, this wasn't good.

"They've released the hunting lions." said Pythagoras under his breath.

"Hunting lions? Who the hell has hunting lions?" Questioned Jason looking around the street. He saw his comrades bolting away and turned around to see two hungry and bloodthirsty lions before taking to his heels.

Hercules got tired of running and rested allowing Jason to overtake him. There was no way they were going to outrun the lions. Pythagoras spotted a way out, there was a pole sticking of a building, they could use that to get to the roof if only they had time.
Re: *** ATLANTIS *** (An adventure/fantasy story) by Nobody: 11:31am On Nov 08, 2014
Dedicated to guests who give this story its many views.

The pole was a little high up so Jason squatted and lifted Pythagoras by the foot to the pole. The roars got louder as the lions got nearer eager to taste blood.

It was Hercules turn. He went aboard Jason who almost collapsed under the weight.

"Climb!" ordered Jason as he began to see the lions.

"I am climbing!"
"You call that climbing!?"

"You call that pushing!?" just then Pythagoras grabbed Hercules hand and pulled him up. They knew Jason wouldn't make it.

Jason went back before making an incredible leap to grab the pole, missing the charge of the lions by inches before flipping in the air and landing on the roof.

His comrades had questions on how he did it and he had answers.

A hawk flew in the early rays of the sun while a bell tolled it was morning. Jason stared out of the window remembering what the oracle had told him- The first rays of the sun will light tge part you must follow.

"We are to gather before King Minos at the temple. I'm afraid you chose the wrong time to arrive in Atlantis" said Pythagoras comforting him.

"You will be forced to draw a lot" he included.

"Perhaps it's meant to be. What about him?" asked Jason referring to Hercules who was snoring with kegs of wine around him. They would have to sober him.

There was the solemn beating of drums and blaring of horns as the people assembled outside the temple. The king, Minos walked out followed by the queen, Pasiphae. She was wearing a golden tiara while the king was wearing a crown that looked like coiled leaves on flowing royal robes.

"I should be in Pathmos, waking in the arms of a beautiful woman. Because of you, i face my death" said Hercules looking at Jason and dumping the blame.

"If it weren't for us, you wouldn't be here at all. You would be in the belly of a lion" said Pythagoras.

The king lifted his hand to command silence as he prepared to address the crowd.

"On this day, every adult citizen of Atlantis must draw lots. If you draw a white stone, then Poseidon has spared you. If you draw a black stone" he paused.
"Then it is your duty to offer yourself as sacrifice to the Minotaur" Hercules looked at Jason as if to say i told you so or you see what you've caused.

"Your families should be proud, for your sacrifice will appease the gods and protect all that live in our great city" The crowd wasn't happy to hear that but what could they do? King Minos and Queen Pasiphae were shielded by guards.

A man thrusted his hand into the mouth of a clay ball where the stones were kept and retrieved one. He prayed for it to be white when he opened his hand, it was a white stone, his prayers were answered.

"That's another white stone gone. The black stones are creeping up to the surface just waiting for me to pick one" said Hercules, it was his turn.

He looked at Jason and took a stone. He looked at his hand. it was a white stone.

"It's white! I've got a white stone! Praise the gods!" he shouted before leaving.

The beautiful daughter of King Minos, Princess Ariadne looked on as Jason went to pick. She had never seen him before but he looked so handsome. Jason looked back to see her glancing at him, their eyes met. Jason was drooling- love at first sight.

"The stone will not draw itself" said the King in a booming voice. Jason hesitated before dipping his hand and bringing out a stone, it was white. He looked at the princess and walked away. It was Pythagoras's turn.

Pythagoras went forward and stoke his hand into the mouth of the bull. He smiled as he retrieved his hand. The smile disappeared when he opened his hand. He couldn't believe it, it was a black stone. He knew what this meant.

The faces of his comrades who were busy discussing how wrong the oracle was for Hercules quickly became long and sad.

The black stone sat on the floor completely unperturbed.

"Maybe you could kill the Minotaur. Perhaps if you were to smuggle a sword in your robes" said Hercules trying to bear good news.

"You have always said that there is no man more useless with a sword than I" retorted Pythagoras.

"I was joking" Hercules lied. "You're clever, there is no man more clever than you. Perhaps you could trick the Minotaur. You could trick it into ..." Pythagoras looked eager to hear Hercules's idea, he actual had none.

"You'll think of something, i know you will. You have to. Think of something"

"It's going to eat me alive, isn't it?" asked Pythagoras

"We are not going to let that happen. There must be a way we can get you out of the city" said Jason. Hercules wasn't excited at the use of the word we.

"If I escape, then some poor, unfortunate soul will have to take my place. I'm not sure I could live with that" replied Pythagoras.

"Well, I can think of no two finer people with whom i would wish to spend my last supper" added Pythagoras bringing food and wind. Hercules
Re: *** ATLANTIS *** (An adventure/fantasy story) by Nobody: 1:30pm On Nov 08, 2014
Pythagoras, use your theory to kill this thing ooo
Re: *** ATLANTIS *** (An adventure/fantasy story) by popeshemoo(m): 1:31pm On Nov 13, 2014
Nice tori here oo...but come update na??
Re: *** ATLANTIS *** (An adventure/fantasy story) by Nobody: 5:33pm On Nov 13, 2014
He has deleted his account...
Re: *** ATLANTIS *** (An adventure/fantasy story) by Timothy3113(m): 8:40pm On Nov 14, 2014
Divepen:
He has deleted his account...
wetin i tell you, the time he dey fumble , you see now
Re: *** ATLANTIS *** (An adventure/fantasy story) by justcome99(f): 12:12am On Nov 16, 2014
Amen o
Flakkydagirl:
Following...

I just hope the aforementioned prophecies don't come true about you never completing A̶̲̥̅ story.

(1) (Reply)

Leak (A story with Africa's History) / The Retelling Story Of IGODO By Ifeoma Isabella Okeke / Tales Of A Orphan (true Life Story By Christopher Stanley)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 129
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.