Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,939 members, 7,952,779 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 12:24 AM

Tips To Keeping A Good African Man - Family (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Tips To Keeping A Good African Man (44019 Views)

Does Being A " Good African Wife"= Suffering? / Can You Support You/your Spouse Keeping A Weapon In The Bedroom? / How Much Does Keeping A Wife Cost A Month? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tips To Keeping A Good African Man by Shirley07: 11:31am On Nov 07, 2014
SirShymex:

Thanks. Even most of the things you listed are just things that are meant to be part of the character traits of any virtuous woman. Especially those raised by great parents. Also, most of them don't understand how rich the African culture is, and how culture represent's identity. And once you lose your identity - no one is going to respect you.

Hopefully, they'll stop clowning around like kids and create a thread to balance the equation.

Can Aisha2, babygirlfl, 2catwoman, andromida et al create a thread about "Tips To Keeping A Good African Woman" please? Real topic, not the simplistic ones I've been seeing since yesterday. A proper thesis like the Emeritus Prof. did.
They are not as jobless as you and your cronies.
I don't know what culture you're talking about. Culture that hasn't taken the country anywhere. Infact, some were outrageous ones like killing of twins, human flesh eating amongst others. I'm sure you wouldn't be here saying nonsense if your head have been cut off.
What we should aspire to keep is ethics like treating others the way you want to be treated, not some stupid culture.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tips To Keeping A Good African Man by 50calibre(m): 12:06pm On Nov 07, 2014
SirShymex:

Obviously, but you know 50cent always has something up his sleeves. The headphones never really looked attractive to me, and it was like they were saturating the headphones market with too many hybrids. Heck, even Ludacris has one, and I think DJ Khaled just launched one as well. But 50cent took it to the next level, and he got Carmelo Anthony on board. I think he signed a deal with some major company this year (I can't remember the actual details now).

I heard "Power" has mad ratings in America, but I've not watched it. Seen the preview. Power move. For the BMF movie, I think he should get Movie Director, Antoine Fuqua, and Denzel Washington involved. Those guys are box office. Both Antoine Fuqua and Denzel have very good chemistry from "Training Day" - and the guy also directed "Brooklyn's Finest" and "The Equalizer." And he's black and would be able to turn it into gold.

Nah, Nas is the King of NY - he ethered Jay Z. And Nas' "New York State of Mind" is far superior to Jay Z's "Empire State of Mind." grin Kendrick is the future though.

I wonder the train of thought of people who invest their capital in an already competitive market, with one brand almost holding a monopoly. When it comes to sounds/beats, it doesn't get any bigger than Dre & Jimmy... Well I guess the competition is good for we the consumers. 50 cent does have an edge, he has gotten some stars to join including Timberland as well.

Yeah Antoine fuqua & Denzel Washington will be a good idea for the movie, they can throw in a couple of known white faces in as well like Robert De Niro or Mel Gibson to play law enforcement.

So two tracks makes Nas King? How do you measure king? Well it depends on what type of king you're looking for. I've had this conversation many times with folks, & I like hearing their rationale for proclaiming Nas king & it always comes down to the same thing.

Yeah!! Nas won the lyrical side of the beef with jay but then again, it depends on what kind of win you're looking for. Nas may be more of a poet & a better lyricist but I don't think that's enough to make him king, else we might as well throw in the likes of Rakim, Raekwon & Big Daddy Kane into the mix.

To say you're king (especially a modern day king) you've got to run shi*t on all level. Nas may have had some of the greatest hip hop albums of all time, but if both him & jay were to drop an album today, Jay will outsell him.

Then comes the other defence about staying true to hip hop & not going commercial or mainstream.. Well hip hop is a business, what counts most is how much money you rake in, the numbers is all that matters.

Nas may have enjoyed king status at one point (especially after BiG's passing) but here's why I think Jay is king today.

- Consistency: nearly 20 years in the game and still relevant. I remember listening to songs like hard knock life in the 90s & I'm like who's this guy. In hindsight, it's hard to believe that someone who was disturbing my ears back then would still be disturbing it today.

- Commercial success: In terms of record sales, every single jay's album has performed above average. So confident was samsung that they were willing to do a deal with him on his last album.. How many hip hop artists you know sells a million copies even before their album drops?

- Rap skill/lyricism: Many will argue that jay isn't the best but you will agree with me he's no mediocre either. The guy's got some of the greatest lines in hip hop, very few rappers can take on jay in a rap beef & win.

- Influence: After Pac, I don't think there's ever been a more influential hip hop artist that jay. The guy has his wings spread over various things, he once ran def jam, he own a successful clothing line, he has a sizeable stake in a big club, he part owns the Barclays centre, he has very successful artist like Kanye, Rihanna, J cole signed to his record label, he own a sports management company which manages big sport stars like Kobe Bryan, & ohh he hobnobs with the president of the United states... All this achieved by a ugly kid from the Brooklyn projects. What else does it take to make him king?

I'm not jay z's biggest fan but I find it difficult to fault him.

I'd like to hear your thoughts on why you think Nas is king.
Re: Tips To Keeping A Good African Man by Nobody: 4:08pm On Nov 07, 2014
Shirley07:

I don't know what culture you're talking about. Culture that hasn't taken the country anywhere. Infact, some were outrageous ones like killing of twins, human flesh eating amongst others. I'm sure you wouldn't be here saying nonsense if your head have been cut off.
What we should aspire to keep is ethics like treating others the way you want to be treated, not some stupid culture.

Lol, not "jobless" but they can sit on NL all day writing myopic epistles, moaning and whining, by creating threads about nothing - and things that can only exist in their brains, no? grin

Heck, they're even soliciting "happily" married men who're definitely still new in the union - like we don't have fathers who have been married for over three decades. Like we're not privy to the growth, mistakes, and glue that made our parents' marriages stand the test of time. And subconsciously and consciously learnt from our parents' mistakes and how not to make the same mistakes? Heck, most guys see the world through their fathers' eyes, learn from their mistakes, and add their experiences to it. Hence guys and their fathers always clash growing up.

So, rather than creating thread about nothing and folks who have nothing to teach anyone, apart from those who were raised in broken/dysfunctional homes with no male/father figures in their lives. At least tell us what we might not be privy to about the African woman, so we can know/understand her better. Personally, I think the African woman only like great se.x, money, and status. grin

You and your fellow airheads can scram now. Thought you lot had something to offer, but my bad, it's just brain fart. And looking for manginas to kiss their flat bums grin

Let me see if @jumbotron can tell us something interesting about the African woman. And make sure you lot heed to her advice about how she kisses the floor her hussy walks on, and how he's the head of the family. The supreme boss! cool

3 Likes

Re: Tips To Keeping A Good African Man by pickabeau1: 4:14pm On Nov 07, 2014
grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Tips To Keeping A Good African Man by babygirlfl: 5:20pm On Nov 07, 2014
SirShymex

One thing I know very well is that it is very easy to get into the gender war in this section. Sometimes it is nice to calm down and see if what the other person is saying makes sense. You don't have to agree with what the person is saying. I saw the dialogue between you and someone one day and loved how it went. I have discussion like that and don't get into insults. I have been a member for a long while and have never had to get into insulting other people. Sirshymex, I am willing to have a dialogue without insults. I cannot promise that I will completely agree with you but I can say we will both learn from each other.

3 Likes

Re: Tips To Keeping A Good African Man by Nobody: 6:05pm On Nov 07, 2014
50calibre:

I wonder the train of thought of people who invest their capital in an already competitive market, with one brand almost holding a monopoly. When it comes to sounds/beats, it doesn't get any bigger than Dre & Jimmy... Well I guess the competition is good for we the consumers. 50 cent does have an edge, he has gotten some stars to join including Timberland as well.

Yeah Antoine fuqua & Denzel Washington will be a good idea for the movie, they can throw in a couple of known white faces in as well like Robert De Niro or Mel Gibson to play law enforcement.

So two tracks makes Nas King? How do you measure king? Well it depends on what type of king you're looking for. I've had this conversation many times with folks, & I like hearing their rationale for proclaiming Nas king & it always comes down to the same thing.

Yeah!! Nas won the lyrical side of the beef with jay but then again, it depends on what kind of win you're looking for. Nas may be more of a poet & a better lyricist but I don't think that's enough to make him king, else we might actually throw the likes of Rakim, Raekwon & Big Daddy Kane into the mix.

To say you're king (especially a modern day king) you've got to run shi*t on all level. Nas may have had some of the greatest hip hop albums of all time, but if both him & jay were to drop an album today, Jay will outsell him.

Then comes the other defence about staying true to hip hop & not going commercial or mainstream.. Well hip hop is a business, what counts most is how much money you rake in, the numbers is all that matters.

Nas may have enjoyed king status at one point (especially after BiG's passing) here's why I think Jay is king today.

- Consistency: nearly 20 years in the game and still relevant. I remember listening to songs like hard knock life in the 90s & I'm like who's this guy. In hindsight, it's hard to believe that someone who was disturbing my ears back then would still be disturbing it today.

- Commercial success: In terms of record sales, every single jay's album has performed above average. So confident was samsung that they were willing to do a deal with him on his last album.. How many hip hop artists you know sells a million copies even before their album drops?

- Rap skill/lyricism: Many will argue that jay isn't the best but you will agree with me he's no mediocre either. The guy's got some of the greatest lines in hip hop, very few rapper can take in jay in a rap beef & win.

- Influence: After Pac, I don't think there's ever been a more influential hip hop artist that jay. The guy has his wings spread over various aspects, he once ran def jam, he own a successful clothing line, he has a sizeable stake in a big club, he part owns the Barclays centre, he has very successful artist like Kanye, Rihanna, J cole signed to his record label, he own a sports management company which manages big sport stars like Kobe Bryan, & ohh he hobnobs with the president of the United states... All this achieved by a ugly kid from the Brooklyn projects. What else does it take to make him king?

I'm not jay z's biggest fan but I find it difficult to fault him.

I'd like to hear your thoughts on why you think Nas is king.

I think those who are afraid of challenging the brand that dominates the market, are those who aren't competitive. Because not everyone will like the brand, and you can always create your market among these folks. If you can cater to what they need with your own brand, and good marketing. Even before Beats by Dre, the headphone market was already saturated with all kinds of headphones. But he created his own path and made a name for his brand. Also, look at how social media moved from Hi5, to Myspace, to Facebook, to Twitter, and now Insta- with each of them offering something different. That's why you just have to admire the genius of 50cent. I always knew he had that in him with how Gunit clothing was able to out-compete Phat Farm and Rocawear back then - though I wasn't his biggest fan.

De Niro!! That's my guy for life and the coolest white guy ever! I'll like to see De Niro and Denzel in the same movie - that would be my dream movie, and box office killer. But I don't think it's ever going to happen. If he can pull if off with Antoine Fuqua, Denzel, and De Niro - apart from queuing up to watch it, I'll get a massive poster of the movie, and hang it on my wall lol.

Nas will always be the King of NY. They went to war in 2001, and Nas won the battle, with Jay Z crying on hot 97 lol. And Illmatic is greater than all Jay Z's album. It's about the craft, and not things outside the art-form. Yes, Jay Z is a better businessman, but Nas is the better lyricist. Nas wrote the Hip Hop bible - and that should tell you all you need to know. Commercial success can't make you king, if that were the case Vanilla Ice and MC Hammer should also be in the conversation for the best rappers ever.

- Consistency: they're still both relevant. However, Nas has stayed true to the art-form in its purest form. Jigga on the other hand retired, then came back to make tunes with Rock artists lol. Heck, compare their last three albums - and though Nas might not have the same commercial success, but he has the far better albums.

- Commercial success: this is inconsequential to the art-form and the hip hop community. Those who buy most albums are white kids who don't know anything about hip hop, so you can't judge based on that.

- Rap skill/lyricism: Nas is far superior to Jigga lyrically - there's no competition. I bet Jigga also marvel at Nas' lyrics and he's also a big fan of Nas. You can tell he's a fan because his "Dead President" tune idea came from Nas, and he sampled Nas' voice on it. And also, the "Empire State of Mind" tune is more or less a remix of Nas' "New York State of Mind."

- Influence: it depends on the type of influence you're alluding to. If it's about the art-form, I'd say Nas influence more good new school rappers than Jigga. You can see Nas in J.Cole, Kendrick Lamar, King Los, Schoolboy Q, Ab Soul et al. Apart from Rick Ross, the Jay Z influence is almost non-existent.

However, when it comes to business, which isn't part of the art-form, then Jigga is up there. Give my idol, Nasty Nas the illmatic and stillmatic, escobar the god's son the crown!

Regardless I absolutely love what Jigga has been able to achieve with his brand. From Marcy Projects, to the top of the world. That's big and a massive inspiration.

2 Likes

Re: Tips To Keeping A Good African Man by Nobody: 6:22pm On Nov 07, 2014
babygirlfl:
SirShymex

One thing I know very well is that it is very easy to get into the gender war in this section. Sometimes it is nice to calm down and see if what the other person is saying makes sense. You don't have to agree with what the person is saying. I saw the dialogue between you and someone one day and loved how it went. I have discussion like that and don't get into insults. I have been a member for a long while and have never had to get into insulting other people. Sirshymex, I am willing to have a dialogue without insults. I cannot promise that I will completely agree with you but I can say we will both learn from each other.

Darn babygirlfl. Pele you got caught in the crossfire of brash banter. Out of the lot, you're one of the few I've got love for. So, my bad - pele, yeah. Didn't mean that way.

You know what my pops who has been happily married for more than 30 years told me as a youngin? When people hit you, you've to hit them back - else you'll become their punching bag. And don't ever come home to me crying like a biitch lol. And I was raised in a place where you can't let folks take you for a mug. You just have to give back whatever energy you receive. And I'm always calm, but you can't be civil with folks who don't understand the concept of civility and how to address people. When people are civil, I'm civil.

Can you see my post to ilekokonit, and how it was plain? I asked him to create a balance cos I'll like to see what he thinks the African woman needs. And he said he isn't in a position to do that. And he suggested that only African women can do that. Hence my reason for citing a few names, so I can just read the thought process of the other side that I might not be privy to as a man. Without insulting no one. Then boom, some chicken head must have come out of nowhere to chat shiit. Like seriously, didn't they teach these folks how to address people in a polite and respectful way? grin And everything points back to what this thread was about, and why most of these women can't even find a good partner. Er, I'll go further by saying that's why most of these women always get their ar.ses whooped. Just learn how to talk to people, man.

1 Like

Re: Tips To Keeping A Good African Man by babygirlfl: 7:08pm On Nov 07, 2014
SirShymex:

Darn babygirlfl. Pele you got caught in the crossfire of brash banter. Out of the lot, you're one of the few I've got love for. So, my bad - pele, yeah. Didn't mean that way.

Thanks.

SirShymex:
You know what my pops who has been happily married for more than 30 years told me as a youngin? When people hit you, you've to hit them back - else you'll become their punching bag. And don't ever come home to me crying like a biitch lol. And I was raised in a place where you can't let folks take you for a mug. You just have to give back whatever energy you receive. And I'm always calm, but you can't be civil with folks who don't understand the concept of civility and how to address people. When people are civil, I'm civil.

very true. My motto in nairaland is know when to reply/post, know when to just read other people's view and know when to ignore. I honestly never expected everyone in nairaland to be civil. The insult thing is a circle. It just keeps going round and round. It is like a way to survive here. Most people will tell you they had to do it because people are not very civil.

SirShymex:
Can you see my post to ilekokonit, and how it was plain? I asked him to create a balance cos I'll like to see what he thinks the African woman needs. And he said he isn't in a position to do that. And he suggested that only African women can do that. Hence my reason for citing a few names, so I can just read the thought process of the other side that I might not be privy to as a man. Without insulting no one. Then boom, some chicken head must have come out of nowhere to chat shiit. Like seriously, didn't they teach these folks how to address people in a polite and respectful way? grin And everything points back to what this thread was about, and why most of these women can't even find a good partner. Er, I'll go further by saying that's why most of these women always get their ar.ses whooped. Just learn how to talk to people, man.

This section can make one become defensive. The negativity and generalisation against another gender can make people go crazy. It is so bad now that every good intention is seen as bad and as soon as you do not entirely agree with someone, they give you a name and blacklist you. People only come to argue the same thing over and over again without learning anything new. If people were to just read other people's view without any bias, they may see sense in it without totally agreeing with the person.

As for the need of the african woman, I can tell you that different women want different things. There is no one shoe fits all.
Re: Tips To Keeping A Good African Man by Nobody: 7:17pm On Nov 07, 2014
Shirley07:

The thread was dead. But Dumb got lonely talking to Dumber all by himself and decided to tag as many people as he could think of. Now he's hoping for a part 2.

The epitome of joblessness. I just pity them.

6 Likes

Re: Tips To Keeping A Good African Man by cococandy(f): 7:22pm On Nov 07, 2014
Oh lawd grin grin grin
Re: Tips To Keeping A Good African Man by Nobody: 7:44pm On Nov 07, 2014
^^2

This b1tch is just pissed her name didn't make the list grin grin grin

5 Likes

Re: Tips To Keeping A Good African Man by Nobody: 8:09pm On Nov 07, 2014
BananaBender:
^^2

This b1tch is just pissed her name didn't make the list grin grin grin

Bwahahahahaha

You know these scandalous oafs with brain fart love my attention so much. They're stans and they follow me everywhere. grin

I love my stans though. grin

Sholly, still waiting for my hug. tongue

2 Likes

Re: Tips To Keeping A Good African Man by Nobody: 8:10pm On Nov 07, 2014
babygirlfl:

Thanks.

very true. My motto in nairaland is know when to reply/post, know when to just read other people's view and know when to ignore. I honestly never expected everyone in nairaland to be civil. The insult thing is a circle. It just keeps going round and round. It is like a way to survive here. Most people will tell you they had to do it because people are not very civil.

This section can make one become defensive. The negativity and generalisation against another gender can make people go crazy. It is so bad now that every good intention is seen as bad and as soon as you do not entirely agree with someone, they give you a name and blacklist you. People only come to argue the same thing over and over again without learning anything new. If people were to just read other people's view without any bias, they may see sense in it without totally agreeing with the person.

As for the need of the african woman, I can tell you that different women want different things. There is no one shoe fits all.

Er, firstly, I'd say just cos I said , "I've got love for you" which is true based on my observation, these other lousy scandalous biitches and stans with brain fart for brain matter who follow me from thread to thread, for my attention, might jump on ya case if you ever agree with me. Just be careful looool.

Secondly, it just comes with the territory. And it seems being aggressive/loud is a Nigerian thing and more time, folks want to shove their opinions down ya throat. They don't understand the concept of, "no right or wrong answer" in debate - and it depends on how convincing ya points are. I learnt that from early and I've never been the type to care about a fictitious online image. And when you're in the animal kingdom, you just have to blend in. So, rather than let cyber-bullies, who're not even proficient in the art of bullying, bully me - I'll flip it, nuke their self-esteem, and bully them. While laughing my ar.se off. And these days, I only come here to clown around and laugh. People can't do that with me, both online and offline because I won't give them that chance.

Thirdly, regardless of all the junk on this forum (not this section alone), those who are observant, with good cognitive skills, should be able to sift through all the nonsense. Most folks basically just have dream about something, or probably read one or two opinions, and think that's the way the world is, and how everyone should start living. It doesn't work that way. If you have been around all kinds of folks from different backgrounds, and you're observant enough, you'll know what can work and what can't. Folks just love arguing just to hear what they sound like - and for me, I just want to clown people and have a good laugh.

Lastly, I get where you're coming from. However, I don't think it's a bad idea if you can paint a picture for us from your own perspective as an African woman. Not everyone would be privy to certain things you desire, which are part of your cultural make-up. And with that you'd be able to educate folks who're oblivious to these things. Most black guys generalise based on what they see in majority of African women - telling us about the minority whose voice have been suppressed wouldn't be a bad idea, would it? For example: most guys that I know, even all my married Uncles always talk about how naija chics love money and that's the only way you can keep them. And you see the same sentiments on this forum all the time. Basically, you can tell us a different story from the perspective of a naij chic who isn't all about money. So, if we were to meet her, at least we'll be acquainted with her type - and not just throw cash at her, and expect her to deal with other nonsense we throw at her, with the thought that she can be bought.

1 Like

Re: Tips To Keeping A Good African Man by jadelyn007(f): 6:28am On Nov 08, 2014
What's with this naija chics love money anthem.

EVERYBODY loves money whether man or woman, white or black!
That's why you have political sycophants every where.
Politicians who are already too old for a position still clutching to the position as if their lives depend on it because of the money.
Infact, Robert Kiyosaki says to be successful in life, you need a certain level of greed.
We have ritualists, armed robbers, criminals who steal with their pen in governmental organisations.
So I don't know why peeps keep shouting naija chics love money.
SirShymex:

Er, firstly, I'd say just cos I said , "I've got love for you" which is true based on my observation, these other lousy scandalous biitches and stans with brain fart for brain matter who follow me from thread to thread, for my attention, might jump on ya case if you ever agree with me. Just be careful looool.

Secondly, it just comes with the territory. And it seems being aggressive/loud is a Nigerian thing and more time, folks want to shove their opinions down ya throat. They don't understand the concept of, "no right or wrong answer" in debate - and it depends on how convincing ya points are. I learnt that from early and I've never been the type to care about a fictitious online image. And when you're in the animal kingdom, you just have to blend in. So, rather than let cyber-bullies, who're not even proficient in the art of bullying, bully me - I'll flip it, nuke their self-esteem, and bully them. While laughing my ar.se off. And these days, I only come here to clown around and laugh. People can't do that with me, both online and offline because I won't give them that chance.

Thirdly, regardless of all the junk on this forum (not this section alone), those who are observant, with good cognitive skills, should be able to sift through all the nonsense. Most folks basically just have dream about something, or probably read one or two opinions, and think that's the way the world is, and how everyone should start living. It doesn't work that way. If you have been around all kinds of folks from different backgrounds, and you're observant enough, you'll know what can work and what can't. Folks just love arguing just to hear what they sound like - and for me, I just want to clown people and have a good laugh.

Lastly, I get where you're coming from. However, I don't think it's a bad idea if you can paint a picture for us from your own perspective as an African woman. Not everyone would be privy to certain things you desire, which are part of your cultural make-up. And with that you'd be able to educate folks who're oblivious to these things. Most black guys generalise based on what they see in majority of African women - telling us about the minority whose voice have been suppressed wouldn't be a bad idea, would it? For example: most guys that I know, even all my married Uncles always talk about how naija chics love money and that's the only way you can keep them. And you see the same sentiments on this forum all the time. Basically, you can tell us a different story from the perspective of a naij chic who isn't all about money. So, if we were to meet her, at least we'll be acquainted with her type - and not just throw cash at her, and expect her to deal with other nonsense we throw at her, with the thought that she can be bought.

1 Like

Re: Tips To Keeping A Good African Man by Nobody: 12:15pm On Nov 08, 2014
The word keep" reminds me of a pet. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Tips To Keeping A Good African Man by Nobody: 4:22pm On Nov 08, 2014
jadelyn007:
What's with this naija chics love money anthem.

EVERYBODY loves money whether man or woman, white or black!
That's why you have political sycophants every where.
Politicians who are already too old for a position still clutching to the position as if their lives depend on it because of the money.
Infact, Robert Kiyosaki says to be successful in life, you need a certain level of greed.
We have ritualists, armed robbers, criminals who steal with their pen in governmental organisations.
So I don't know why peeps keep shouting naija chics love money.

I don't know why you're getting defensive when everyone knows the average naij chic is always hungry and needy, and she can be bought easily. I've been to a few countries on holz in my life, and one country that stands out, where you can buy pu.ssy like you're walking to Favourite Chicken to pick up two piece chicken and chips - is Nigeria.

It's so easy to buy women in naij that you can actually smash like 20 women, including ya celebrities, in a week or two - if ya money is right. So naija chics are an isolated case. grin

1 Like

Re: Tips To Keeping A Good African Man by cancaworm: 5:02pm On Nov 08, 2014
cococandy:

Well their weed loves them.when reality becomes too harsh,drinks and cigarettes and two-pence whoress take the edge off. But basically it is all about existing in stale smelling dinghy apartments. Dreaming of Beyoncé-like beauties with Martha Stewart abilities and hearts of mother Theresa.

Dreaming is allowed anyway.

cheesy
Re: Tips To Keeping A Good African Man by kenny987(f): 3:11pm On Nov 09, 2014
Personally, I believe that what is good for one is good for all. If Ilekokonit believes that all these rules or tips are right and should be considered/adopted by the female folk desirous of keeping a 'good African man' then I cannot be wrong to state that the African man desires a good African woman and must therefore be willing to keep her and therefore adopt same rules. It worried me when a lady saw her heart's desire and stated as much when she said she had seen her a husband in the op who could keep those rules and was ready to set the ball rolling but Ilekokonit sharply responded and said the rules were for her only!

Is it ok then for the man to for instance, dominate the conversation, hold business/career/religious commitments as more important than her, talk down at her before her kids, belittle and castigate her especially before her daughters, embarrass her in public, puncture her 'balloon' just to get even with her or bring her down, be unforgiving/mean/wicked, be selfish, be addicted to sports tv, blood and gore or generally stuff she doesn't like (abi she's not allowed to like and dislike), keep secrets from her, manipulate her...and so on?

If marriage must work and be beautiful, both parties must be in it and be determined to make it work! Understand that the duty lies on both of you to make the union work. In other words, humans are designed to please each other not just women pleasing the men. The right thing should be tips for keeping a good African marriage because take it or leave it, it goes both ways. Granted, the man is the main supplier/provider, it doesn't mean the woman will not have an opinion or apply her discretion in managing the home. It must all be done in love and understanding, not one lording it over the other. That is the balance the children should grow up to see and emulate!

2 Likes

Re: Tips To Keeping A Good African Man by 50calibre(m): 11:13am On Nov 10, 2014
SirShymex:

I think those who are afraid of challenging the brand that dominates the market, are those who aren't competitive. Because not everyone will like the brand, and you can always create your market among these folks. If you can cater to what they need with your own brand, and good marketing. Even before Beats by Dre, the headphone market was already saturated with all kinds of headphones. But he created his own path and made a name for his brand. Also, look at how social media moved from Hi5, to Myspace, to Facebook, to Twitter, and now Insta- with each of them offering something different. That's why you just have to admire the genius of 50cent. I always knew he had that in him with how Gunit clothing was able to out-compete Phat Farm and Rocawear back then - though I wasn't his biggest fan.

De Niro!! That's my guy for life and the coolest white guy ever! I'll like to see De Niro and Denzel in the same movie - that would be my dream movie, and box office killer. But I don't think it's ever going to happen. If he can pull if off with Antoine Fuqua, Denzel, and De Niro - apart from queuing up to watch it, I'll get a massive poster of the movie, and hang it on my wall lol.

Nas will always be the King of NY. They went to war in 2001, and Nas won the battle, with Jay Z crying on hot 97 lol. And Illmatic is greater than all Jay Z's album. It's about the craft, and not things outside the art-form. Yes, Jay Z is a better businessman, but Nas is the better lyricist. Nas wrote the Hip Hop bible - and that should tell you all you need to know. Commercial success can't make you king, if that were the case Vanilla Ice and MC Hammer should also be in the conversation for the best rappers ever.

- Consistency: they're still both relevant. However, Nas has stayed true to the art-form in its purest form. Jigga on the other hand retired, then came back to make tunes with Rock artists lol. Heck, compare their last three albums - and though Nas might not have the same commercial success, but he has the far better albums.

- Commercial success: this is inconsequential to the art-form and the hip hop community. Those who buy most albums are white kids who don't know anything about hip hop, so you can't judge based on that.

- Rap skill/lyricism: Nas is far superior to Jigga lyrically - there's no competition. I bet Jigga also marvel at Nas' lyrics and he's also a big fan of Nas. You can tell he's a fan because his "Dead President" tune idea came from Nas, and he sampled Nas' voice on it. And also, the "Empire State of Mind" tune is more or less a remix of Nas' "New York State of Mind."

- Influence: it depends on the type of influence you're alluding to. If it's about the art-form, I'd say Nas influence more good new school rappers than Jigga. You can see Nas in J.Cole, Kendrick Lamar, King Los, Schoolboy Q, Ab Soul et al. Apart from Rick Ross, the Jay Z influence is almost non-existent.

However, when it comes to business, which isn't part of the art-form, then Jigga is up there. Give my idol, Nasty Nas the illmatic and stillmatic, escobar the god's son the crown!

Regardless I absolutely love what Jigga has been able to achieve with his brand. From Marcy Projects, to the top of the world. That's big and a massive inspiration.

Damn!!! I just saw this quote today, what the hell happened to my mentions.. Seun needs to fix this bug.

Well you make valid points, Nas's Lyrical superiority is not in doubt, that's a general consensus in the hop hop community.

Illmatic in my opinion is Nas's greatest album (and indeed one of the top 5 greatest hip hop albums) but it didn't do better than Reasonable doubt or Black album in terms of sales but as you said, commercial success doesn't matter and that's fair enough, though I disagree because as much as we appreciate the art form, money is also a key factor, else they'd just hand out their albums for free (after recuperating production costs)

This I just like the Nigerian rapper Mode 9 (I don't know if you know him) he's probably the best rapper naija has ever produced but his numbers are not that impressive because he's refused to appeal to those outside his core fan base.

I'm not saying Nas doesn't shift good numbers (because he still outsells most of the contemporary rappers), I'm just comparing he's to that of Jay.

I'm a big Nas fan anyway, even before I started liking Jay Z, & I think he's a genius of our time, I've heard him speak & he exudes intelligence, plus he's Nigerian (at least by heritage lol) so.....

At the end of the day, it comes down to opinions, at least the bolded, we agree on. This debate will go on for ages, just like Pele v Maradona, Messi V Ronaldo... It will go on for decades.
Re: Tips To Keeping A Good African Man by Nobody: 2:18pm On Nov 10, 2014
50calibre:

Damn!!! I just saw this quote today, what the hell happened to my mentions.. Seun needs to fix this bug.

Well you make valid points, Nas's Lyrical superiority is not in doubt, that's a general consensus in the hop hop community.

Illmatic in my opinion is Nas's greatest album (and indeed one of the top 5 greatest hip hop albums) but it didn't do better than Reasonable doubt or Black album in terms of sales but as you said, commercial success doesn't matter and that's fair enough, though I disagree because as much as we appreciate the art form, money is also a key factor, else they'd just hand out their albums for free (after recuperating production costs)

This I just like the Nigerian rapper Mode 9 (I don't know if you know him) he's probably the best rapper naija has ever produced but his numbers are not that impressive because he's refused to appeal to those outside his core fan base.

I'm not saying Nas doesn't shift good numbers (because he still outsells most of the contemporary rappers), I'm just comparing he's to that of Jay.

I'm a big Nas fan anyway, even before I started liking Jay Z, & I think he's a genius of our time, I've heard him speak & he exudes intelligence, plus he's Nigerian (at least by heritage lol) so.....

At the end of the day, it comes down to opinions, at least the bolded, we agree on. This debate will go on for ages, just like Pele v Maradona, Messi V Ronaldo... It will go on for decades.

Not taking anything away from Jigga. The guy is super nice and I'd say he drops the wittiest punchlines ever. And he is the most versatile rapper. You just have to listen to his body of work, to know how great he is. Hence I will never put someone like Eminem in the same bracket as the both cos they both shiit on him everyday of the week based on content alone. You won't even know how great Jigga is till you go listen to his old tunes. I was listening to "anything" yesterday, and bwoi, it just reminded me of why I love rap music so much lol.

However, Jigga has always been a big fan of Nas. And you can tell from his career, and how switched up his style. Also, lyrically, Nas is just a monster. You have to be knowledgeable to be able to understand a lot of his lyrics. Nas just never had a ear for good beats...and I think that was what did him in for a long time.

Yes, I know Mode 9 from Bet Cypher. He is nice. Sauce Kid also dropped a few decent bars on there...but the rest were rubbish esp. Ice Prince (this guy said his bars are like fish looool).
Re: Tips To Keeping A Good African Man by 50calibre(m): 3:50pm On Nov 10, 2014
SirShymex:

Not taking anything away from Jigga. The guy is super nice and I'd say he drops the wittiest punchlines ever. And he is the most versatile rapper. You just have to listen to his body of work, to know how great he is. Hence I will never put someone like Eminem in the same bracket as the both cos they both shiit on him everyday of the week based on content alone. You won't even know how great Jigga is till you go listen to his old tunes. I was listening to "anything" yesterday, and bwoi, it just reminded me of why I love rap music so much lol.

However, Jigga has always been a big fan of Nas. And you can tell from his career, and how switched up his style. Also, lyrically, Nas is just a monster. You have to be knowledgeable to be able to understand a lot of his lyrics. Nas just never had a ear for good beats...and I think that was what did him in for a long time.

Yes, I know Mode 9 from Bet Cypher. He is nice. Sauce Kid also dropped a few decent bars on there...but the rest were rubbish esp. Ice Prince (this guy said his bars are like fish looool).

I don't get the eminem hype either, without taking anything away from him, I think he's good but going to the extent of touting him as the best ever (as the white media are fond of) is just a stretch too far.

I find it difficult comparing Em to other rappers because his style is different, he sounds different, any other person will fail trying to imitate him. He's done a lot for hip hip though, he introduced rap to a whole new demographic (typically the white middle class) who prior never paid attention to rap, regarding it as "nigga music" also he had a hard time getting on, being a white boy but once he gained acceptance among black folks, it was plain sailing from there.

Yeah Nas hasn't been that big on beats, & that's his problem, maybe he can't flow to a good beat, I don't know. Though he had one of the most iconic hip hop beats of our time on Hate me now.

Nas dissed jay, saying Em murdered him on his own shi*t.. He was referring to the song Renegade. I think every artist has their moment of brilliance, that's why I don't have a favourite artist, I have favourite moments.

I will like to see these guys do battle some time in the future, no beats, nothing!! Battle rap style.

Bars like fish looool ice price is a clown, a wannabe, same for sauce kid. I hate them both.
Re: Tips To Keeping A Good African Man by tpia6: 3:55pm On Nov 10, 2014
back to topic.
Re: Tips To Keeping A Good African Man by tpia6: 3:55pm On Nov 10, 2014
SirShymex:

Thanks. Even most of the things you listed are just things that are meant to be part of the character traits of any virtuous woman. Especially those raised by great parents. Also, most of them don't understand how rich the African culture is, and how culture represent's identity. And once you lose your identity - no one is going to respect you.

Hopefully, they'll stop clowning around like kids and create a thread to balance the equation.

Can Aisha2, babygirlfl, 2catwoman, andromida et al create a thread about "Tips To Keeping A Good African Woman" please? Real topic, not the simplistic ones I've been seeing since yesterday. A proper thesis like the Emeritus Prof. did.

is your keyboard broken or why cant you do it yourself?

1 Like

Re: Tips To Keeping A Good African Man by Nobody: 7:43pm On Nov 10, 2014
50calibre:

I don't get the eminem hype either, without taking anything away from him, I think he's good but going to the extent of touting him as the best ever (as the white media are fond of) is just a stretch too far.

I find it difficult comparing Em to other rappers because his style is different, he sounds different, any other person will fail trying to imitate him. He's done a lot for hip hip though, he introduced rap to a whole new demographic (typically the white middle class) who prior never paid attention to rap, regarding it as "nigga music" also he had a hard time getting on, being a white boy but once he gained acceptance among black folks, it was plain sailing from there.

Yeah Nas hasn't been that big on beats, & that's his problem, maybe he can't flow to a good beat, I don't know. Though he had one of the most iconic hip hop beats of our time on Hate me now.

Nas dissed jay, saying Em murdered him on his own shi*t.. He was referring to the song Renegade. I think every artist has their moment of brilliance, that's why I don't have a favourite artist, I have favourite moments.

I will like to see these guys do battle some time in the future, no beats, nothing!! Battle rap style.

Bars like fish looool ice price is a clown, a wannabe, same for sauce kid. I hate them both.

Eminem is talented no doubt but he is just a great white hype. If he had been black, there is absolutely no way he would be this successful. The content of his music has been trash since his 2nd album. His style isn't even unique - Ras Kass, Chino XL, Keith Murray et al had mad word play, with crazy adjectives, way before him. Regardless, Em did open the culture to a different demographic and that needs to be appreciated. But Em isn't in my top 10.

"Hate me now" beat is crazy! "Made you look" is another one - bravehearts/They shootin'/aw made you look/you a slave to a page in my rhyme book. But I still don't know why he never had ear for good beats despite being with Dr Dre with The Firm.

Em ate Jay on "renegade" cos it was a tune about nothing. And Em always shine bright on tunes like that.

I'm listening to "Method man" track on Wu Tang's "36 chambers" album right now. This tune always make me go nuts!

"Man man man/m-e-t-h-o-d man/hey you get off my cloud/you don't know me and don't know my style. Method man went berserk on this tune.
Re: Tips To Keeping A Good African Man by 50calibre(m): 10:35am On Nov 11, 2014
SirShymex:

Eminem is talented no doubt but he is just a great white hype. If he had been black, there is absolutely no way he would be this successful. The content of his music has been trash since his 2nd album. His style isn't even unique - Ras Kass, Chino XL, Keith Murray et al had mad word play, with crazy adjectives, way before him. Regardless, Em did open the culture to a different demographic and that needs to be appreciated. But Em isn't in my top 10.

"Hate me now" beat is crazy! "Made you look" is another one - bravehearts/They shootin'/aw made you look/you a slave to a page in my rhyme book. But I still don't know why he never had ear for good beats despite being with Dr Dre with The Firm.

Em ate Jay on "renegade" cos it was a tune about nothing. And Em always shine bright on tunes like that.

I'm listening to "Method man" track on Wu Tang's "36 chambers" album right now. This tune always make me go nuts!

"Man man man/m-e-t-h-o-d man/hey you get off my cloud/you don't know me and don't know my style. Method man went berserk on this tune.

Maybe beats are just not his thing, unfortunately in today's hip hop beats matters a lot, songs are dropping everyday on iTunes, and other music streaming sites, if your beats aren't catchy enough, people are not listening to it a second time, they're moving on to the next.

I remember "made you look" it was one of the sounds that made the new millennium, I remember watching it over & over on MTV

Jay Z does look out for beats which stands out, Diddy gave him a stash of Biggie's beats, he's even copied some of Fela's beats. Nas needs to go sit down with Timberland, dre, Swiss beats or even Kanye & have them make him something nice. He's getting old anyway, I'm sure that's not much left of his music career.

Lol Those guys need to retire from rap, they're well past their prime, there best material was in the 90s. I don't pay attention to Wu tang clan or even bone thugs & harmony anymore.
Re: Tips To Keeping A Good African Man by Nobody: 1:05pm On Nov 11, 2014
50calibre:

Maybe beats are just not his thing, unfortunately in today's hip hop beats matters a lot, songs are dropping everyday on iTunes, and other music streaming sites, if your beats aren't catchy enough, people are not listening to it a second time, they're moving on to the next.

I remember "made you look" it was one of the sounds that made the new millennium, I remember watching it over & over on MTV

Jay Z does look out for beats which stands out, Diddy gave him a stash of Biggie's beats, he's even copied some of Fela's beats. Nas needs to go sit down with Timberland, dre, Swiss beats or even Kanye & have them make him something nice. He's getting old anyway, I'm sure that's not much left of his music career.

Lol Those guys need to retire from rap, they're well past their prime, there best material was in the 90s. I don't pay attention to Wu tang clan or even bone thugs & harmony anymore.

Maybe he was just stuck on the boombox beats cos Large Professor is his mentor, and he's always around Salaam Remi. And perhaps that's why he couldn't leave the box back then to ride other beats. He has arguably one of the best flow in hip hop ever - just never understood why he never maximised that. One Nas can tell us why.

"Made you look" is classic tune! They shootin'/aw made you look/you a slave to a page in my rhyme - bravehearts! bravehearts! bravehearts. I'd put it next to Tupac's "Hail Mary" based on catchy the hook is, and the crazy beat!

Have you listened to the "Distant Relatives" album? Nas and Damian Marley sampled a lot of Fela Kuti's beats on that album. Classic album! I used to bump that shiite everyday in Uni. That's the album I coerced my ex to listen to, and it turned her into a Nas fan. grin

Wu Tang still got it. They're all about Jay Z's age, and Method Man should be about Nas' age. They got their recognition as a group, but never got what they deserved as a group. C.R.E.A.M - Cash Rules Everything Around Me/C.R.E.A.M get the money/dollar dollar bill y'all. Raekwon, Method Man, and Ghostface are up there among the most skilled rappers ever. Not too many rappers can out-rap Rae. Apart from Nas, and Slick Rick - nobody tells a better story than Ghostface. And when it comes to supreme flow - Method Man is just up there by himself. Then you've GZA - and RZA on the beats. They've re-invented and you know they have one of the biggest fanbase in hip hop, especially in Asia. Legends!

Bone thugs = legends!
Re: Tips To Keeping A Good African Man by Nobody: 1:06pm On Nov 11, 2014
Check this out, yo!

These guys were straight out the ghetto with this but it's still one of the greatest hip hop tunes ever! grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEnwXYJcSZc
Re: Tips To Keeping A Good African Man by 50calibre(m): 2:13pm On Nov 11, 2014
SirShymex:

Maybe he was just stuck on the boombox beats cos Large Professor is his mentor, and he's always around Salaam Remi. And perhaps that's why he couldn't leave the box back then to ride other beats. He has arguably one of the best flow in hip hop ever - just never understood why he never maximised that. One Nas can tell us why.

"Made you look" is classic tune! They shootin'/aw made you look/you a slave to a page in my rhyme - bravehearts! bravehearts! bravehearts. I'd put it next to Tupac's "Hail Mary" based on catchy the hook is, and the crazy beat!

Have you listened to the "Distant Relatives" album? Nas and Damian Marley sampled a lot of Fela Kuti's beats on that album. Classic album! I used to bump that shiite everyday in Uni. That's the album I coerced my ex to listen to, and it turned her into a Nas fan. grin

Wu Tang still got it. They're all about Jay Z's age, and Method Man should be about Nas' age. They got their recognition as a group, but never got what they deserved as a group. C.R.E.A.M - Cash Rules Everything Around Me/C.R.E.A.M get the money/dollar dollar bill y'all. Raekwon, Method Man, and Ghostface are up there among the most skilled rappers ever. Not too many rappers can out-rap Rae. Apart from Nas, and Slick Rick - nobody tells a better story than Ghostface. And when it comes to supreme flow - Method Man is just up there by himself. Then you've GZA - and RZA on the beats. They've re-invented and you know they have one of the biggest fanbase in hip hop, especially in Asia. Legends!

Bone thugs = legends!

Nas has made some poor choices, his talent wasn't properly harnessed. While jay went for beyonce, he went for kelis!! She later turned round & fuc*ked him up, she contributed to his career decline.

I know they did collaborate at one point & I may have listen to a track or two off it, but never the whole album. I like when raggae & rap comes together, I think that's artistry at its peak, I wish we'd see it more.

Hahaha those OGs need to give up their mic & dedicate their time to grooming the next generation of artists, same for Jay Z, he diesnt know what to rap about anymore, he's rapping about art & all other nonsense. Slick rick, Britain finest, the only British rapper to blow across the pond.. I haven't heard anything about him in a very long time.
Re: Tips To Keeping A Good African Man by 50calibre(m): 2:19pm On Nov 11, 2014
SirShymex:
Check this out, yo!

These guys were straight out the ghetto with this but it's still one of the greatest hip hop tunes ever! grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEnwXYJcSZc

Hahaha Ghetto classic!!
Re: Tips To Keeping A Good African Man by Nobody: 5:20pm On Nov 11, 2014
50calibre:

Nas has made some poor choices, his talent wasn't properly harnessed. While jay went for beyonce, he went for kelis!! She later turned round & fuc*ked him up, she contributed to his career decline.

I know they did collaborate at one point & I may have listen to a track or two off it, but never the whole album. I like when raggae & rap comes together, I think that's artistry at its peak, I wish we'd see it more.

Hahaha those OGs need to give up their mic & dedicate their time to grooming the next generation of artists, same for Jay Z, he diesnt know what to rap about anymore, he's rapping about art & all other nonsense. Slick rick, Britain finest, the only British rapper to blow across the pond.. I haven't heard anything about him in a very long time.

I think with the Kelis vs. Beyonce thing: the only reason why Nas/Kelis never lasted was cos the relationship was a real one. And when you're in a real relationship, emotions are always going to be involved. With Jay Z and Beyonce, that's a relationship that started out as a business partnership, and though, it has grown overtime, the business aspect is still there. So, once the cash keeps coming in, there's no point breaking it off.

The "distant relatives" album is super dope.

Jay Z said, "30 is the new 20" the last time. But we need to make "40 the new 20" as long as the veterans still have something to rap about. Nas' last album for example is one of the best rap albums in the last 5-years. And it looks like his new album is going to be crazy as well. And he's 41 - 20 years in the game. Jigga also can still rap. Redman and Method Man are still spitting crack. Ditto Raekwon et al. If the veteran can still pull it off, why not?

The likes of Bono, Bruce Springsteen, Prince et al are still dropping albums. We need longevity in rap music as well from the veterans. grin

Slick Rick the ruler! grin
Re: Tips To Keeping A Good African Man by poik(m): 9:28am On Nov 12, 2014
Ilekokonit:

If you say my assertion may not be wrong, what is the problem with speaking the undiluted expectations of most men who are raised in Africa with proper african values as per the rigid aspect, i believe that if you don't stand for something, you will fall for any thing and also, thou shalt not follow a multitude to commit evil.

Thats one thing like about the way Jamaican men and women interrelate. The Jamaican woman NEVER tries to usurp their mans authority. If they do, gbege go happen for that house thats if a Jamaican man wants to be tied down to one woman in the first place.

There might actually be a lot of wisdom in the Jamaican mans refusal to be tied down by one woman. But we Naija men who try our level best to raise a happy family with one wife and kids and we get so disrespected by these our "educated" feminist wives that you are left wondering if one should instead go for a non-fetish illiterate woman in order to have a peaceful long life.

Nowadays repeated societal misnomers have given rise to a situation where a lot of young African men have forgotten or don't know that the man is supposed to be the head of the home and that a ship is meant to have one captain.

To the feminist's, I say Teacher Don't Teach me Nonsense. It is simply unafrican for a woman to wear the trousers and give the man the skirt. Oloun maje. God forbid !!!

Because every woman is shouting their man down and a lot of men are accepting it doesn't mean it is right or the men are accepting it in all sincerity.

Finally, women stop hen pecking your men if you hope for the union to stand the test of time.

Definition :- A hen pecked husband is a man whose wife never stops picking on or criticising him.

To dominate or harass (one's husband) with persistent nagging.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_means_henpecked_husband

[img]http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSnHO7TeXJBRxNwQQMBv4bHaTjMOlKWXPugQXuIncVVDZABO4Pl[/img]

You are so spot on op. On point. One million likes. I just have to agree with your assertions. I keep saying only a gold digger(no man is a wussy; I stopped thinking dat a long time ago) would put up with insubordination from his wife. Them ladies keep forming independent, but no one can circumvent a natural course.
For me, there is nothing I can't do for a submissive woman.
Devil cheat us well well. Particularly in Africa.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Deceived Into Marriage, Used And Dumped / Pictures Of A Woman’s Two Sets Of Identical Twin Boys / Man, Pregnant Wife, Daughter Suffocate In Apartment (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 213
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.