Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,365 members, 7,815,780 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:12 PM

Unofficial Rules Of Text Messaging You Should Adopt - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Unofficial Rules Of Text Messaging You Should Adopt (758 Views)

Glo Customer Care Thread (unofficial) / Advantages And Disadvantages Of Text Messaging / Flashing And Text Messaging Club (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Unofficial Rules Of Text Messaging You Should Adopt by Giftedgreen: 8:28am On Nov 04, 2014
Yesterday, we published some telephone etiquette that should be observed at all times ( http://giftedgreen.com/2014/blog/2014/11/03/phone-habits-that-would-make-people-take-you-seriously/). We are going to continue today while concentrating on text messaging.

Like everything else, there are however, a few etiquette tips to keep in mind:

When texting is not allowed

Just because you in a place where phone calls are not allowed do not mean that you are allowed to text. Phone calls are not allowed in places such as a movie, a meeting, a conference, during class, worship centers, banks. Texting in such places is distracting for others and distracting for you as well. If calling in an area is not allowed, then there are chances that texting is also not allowed.

It is important that you do not text while you are walking, and most importantly you should make sure that you do not text while doing anything that requires your attention, like crossing a road. You should not text while you are driving either. Hands-free phones may lessen the risk somewhat, but the smartest choice is to pull into a parking area and stop before making a call.

You should text only when you are standing still or sitting down and not in the way of anybody. You already know all these don’t you? Well, it is just a friendly reminder.

Texting on a date

Do not use your phone when you are on a date. Ideally, you should turn it off entirely. It shows your date that you care enough to shut out every form of communication for them.

If you’re anticipating an important call, let the person you’re with know beforehand that you’re expecting a call that you’ll need to take. Never text at the table, even if the face-to-face conversation dies down. It will be seen as disrespectful.

Like phone calls, introduce yourself when necessary

Some people would send a text to you using a strange number and expect you to magically know the sender. If you are sending a text message to someone who does not have your number or you are using a strange number, it would be courteous of you to start your message by stating who you are. If you are unsure if the recipient has your number or not, it would be wise to also introduce yourself

Do not ignore messages

Admittedly some text messages do not necessarily need a reply, but most of the time they actually do. If you do not know what to say, the least you could do is let the sender know that you received the message.

If they keep texting

What happens if you are on a date with someone and your partner keeps pinging all day. It does not have to be on a date, once you are engaged with someone and they will not stop texting during your conversation, feel free to excuse yourself untile they have concluded their messaging. And if the texting is more in

Just as you should not be answering your phone during a conversation, you should not send a text message when you are engaged with someone else. If you are with someone who will not stop text messaging during your conversation, feel free to excuse yourself until they have concluded their messaging.

Sometimes text messages in not enough

You shouldn’t use text messaging when informing someone of sad news, business matters, or urgent meetings, unless it’s to set up a phone call on the subject.

Wrong number

If you receive a text message that was sent to you by mistake, reply explaining that you aren’t the intended recipient. You don’t have to respond to anything else in the message.

After sending a message

Finally, remember that as with email, you can’t know for sure when the recipient is going to read his or her message—so don’t freak out if your text message doesn’t get an immediate response.

http://giftedgreen.com/2014/blog/2014/11/04/unofficial-rules-of-text-messaging-you-should-adopt/

Re: Unofficial Rules Of Text Messaging You Should Adopt by Nobody: 8:38am On Nov 04, 2014
I have this feeling......

#Edited#
#Rules or no rules, I text weneva I want to. #Addicted
Re: Unofficial Rules Of Text Messaging You Should Adopt by Tintinnoty(m): 9:24am On Nov 04, 2014
Do I still send text messages? I doubt it seems whatsapp and other mediums are gradually replacing that.
Re: Unofficial Rules Of Text Messaging You Should Adopt by Giftedgreen: 9:28am On Nov 04, 2014
Tintinnoty:
Do I still send text messages? I doubt it seems whatsapp and other mediums are gradually replacing that.

Technically, WhatsApp, BBM, 2go are all text messaging apps.

They still fall under text messages
Re: Unofficial Rules Of Text Messaging You Should Adopt by Tintinnoty(m): 10:23am On Nov 04, 2014
Giftedgreen:

Technically, WhatsApp, BBM, 2go are all text messaging apps.

They still fall under text messages

You've said it technically

(1) (Reply)

Where Can I Download Modded Apk (games And Apps) / Year 2015 Smartphones / Best Android Phone To Buy For Less Than 30k

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.