Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,829 members, 7,806,329 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 02:52 PM

The Million Dollar Homepage idea, by Alex Tew - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / The Million Dollar Homepage idea, by Alex Tew (10385 Views)

How Can I Customise Wordpres Megamag Theme To Look Like Naijaloaded Homepage / How To Build A Multi-million Dollar Internet Company In Nigeria / Yahoo CEO Marissa Mayer Gets A Million-dollar Bonus After Six Months On The Job (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Million Dollar Homepage idea, by Alex Tew by Propre(m): 8:42pm On Sep 25, 2005
Who want to be a millionaire?

It takes intuition, creative thinking and ingenuity to make millions; Alex Tew, 21 came up with a crazy idea to build a webpage divided it into ten thousand (a block of 100) pixels and sell each for $1 as advertisement space the rest is history; as at the time of writing this he has sold 143,300 pixels = $143,300 within 2 weeks.

"So I had this little idea the other day. I was trying to think of interesting ways to make some cash before going to Uni (which is in about a month's time) and somehow this crazy thought entered my head: I'll try and make a million dollars, by selling 1,000,000 pixels, for $1 each" says Alex

My point:

If you have an idea to make money, no matter how crazy it seems, if you believe in your dream please go for it, may be oneday you will become Alex Tew; there is still a lot of money to be made on the internet folks!

read all about Alex Tew here: www.milliondollarhomepage.com
Re: The Million Dollar Homepage idea, by Alex Tew by hotangel2(f): 8:50pm On Sep 25, 2005
Good point you have there. But the thing is... Internet nowadays can be used as a way of Indentity theft and fraud. Most people wont even believe you, as long as it has to do with their money.
Re: The Million Dollar Homepage idea, by Alex Tew by Seun(m): 7:54am On Sep 26, 2005
It's a smart idea, but Alex Pew also playing on our intelligence. By spinning this homepage as an idea to "make a million dollars", he gets a lot of links, which gives him:
- Traffic for those who have paid to feel their money is well spent.
- The opportunity to get new buyers for his space.

I believe that the Internet can be used to make millions of Naira, dollars, euros, or pounds in legitimate income. But we should not choose those whose methods are doubtful as our role models. Gimicky business model like this one cannot work for everybody, but any business in which one is providing clear, good value for customers' time and money should generate good income.
Re: The Million Dollar Homepage idea, by Alex Tew by Propre(m): 9:49am On Sep 26, 2005
Seun,

Thanks for changing the heading; I think yours is more appropriate. I wasn't suggesting that Alex Tew should be taken as role model, the relevance of this is the fact that we should always pursue  our dreams if we believe in it however crazy it might seem; who would have thought he could make money from selling pixels, he believed in his dream, went for it and the rest his history.

Haven said that, Alex hasn't done anything illegal, he arrived at this business strategy as a result of creative thinking and that's what makes people buy the pixels (creativity and ggenuineness read what the British press are saying about him here http://www.milliondollarhomepage.com/press.php

I don't know this guy from Adam, I read his story in the British press and went to his website to find out how he did it - he is actually providing a service - driving traffics to his clients website, if you are ffamiliarwith google ad you will know how much it cost to generate/buy traffic to your site
Re: The Million Dollar Homepage idea, by Alex Tew by Seun(m): 10:07am On Sep 26, 2005
Wow. I didn't know he recieved so much press coverage. I normally go to SlashDot when I want to follow tech news, and I don't think they ever covered this. But seeing that it was covered by The Register and other tech news sites, I think I'll want to say that it's an interesting concept. Thanks for pointing it out!
Re: The Million Dollar Homepage idea, by Alex Tew by skima(m): 1:41pm On Sep 26, 2005
Great Idea, Great move ! Nothing else works, no matter how big your dream is ; without taking a step, its will just be there and u remain same.

What i just want to say is that, a anything u can concieve just believe u can achieve with positive mental attitude. Combine with good people around, you are there.

The internet's posibilies is not 50% discovered, and who knows you may be lucy to get 10% of it(big enough hun?). Google guys started less than ten years ago , now they are bigger than some businesses that has been established before those guys were born.
Re: The Million Dollar Homepage idea, by Alex Tew by whiteshark(m): 6:52pm On Sep 26, 2005
ol boy !!! someone please tell me how this thing works, ..................seun
Re: The Million Dollar Homepage idea, by Alex Tew by kazey(m): 8:00pm On Oct 02, 2005
worked for him cheesy
Re: The Million Dollar Homepage idea, by Alex Tew by skima(m): 10:09pm On Oct 02, 2005
Could work for anyone. Just believe and come with a good idea( if better than this). Then you are there.
Re: The Million Dollar Homepage idea, by Alex Tew by kazey(m): 4:32am On Oct 03, 2005
hahah that easy. We all wish it was that easy. Man idea is one thing, for it to work for you is another thing. Thats just the reality you would have to live with as an entrepreneur cheesy
Re: The Million Dollar Homepage idea, by Alex Tew by LTParis: 4:00am On Nov 17, 2005
Gotta hand it to him, it is very effective, and it spawned numerous "sell a pixel" websites.

I started something a little different, a donation site to buy a specfic item, in this case a Digital Camera. So it takes the "greed" factor of just dollar after dollar accumlating.

Help My Hobby
Re: The Million Dollar Homepage idea, by Alex Tew by freepixel: 7:20pm On Nov 22, 2005
Yes there are many pixel advertising sites popping up now, but one which is caught my imagination is

http://www.freemillionpixelhomepage.com

the guy says once hes got the million he will gamble it on red or black on a roulette wheel, and if it wins all the advertisers get their money back,, its hilarious
Re: The Million Dollar Homepage idea, by Alex Tew by jummiee(f): 6:15pm On Nov 30, 2005
shocked i ckecked out alex's website ! OMG! (O my Gosh) The guy is brilliant! way to go alex! i'm sure he's smilling all the way to the bank shocked
Re: The Million Dollar Homepage idea, by Alex Tew by nbenin: 12:00am On Dec 01, 2005
As you can expect, there are many many clones. It looks like everybody wants to be rich... without too much work. How surprising wink
Some copycats are innovating at least. For example, MapShares mixes "pixel ads" and Google Maps!
Re: The Million Dollar Homepage idea, by Alex Tew by buckabyte: 3:20am On Dec 19, 2005
I started up my own ad space website, but it's based on bytes rather than pixels. Depending on how low you can get the file size, ads can cost up to half as much as ads on  pixel-based ad space sites. Check out www.buckabyte.com
Re: The Million Dollar Homepage idea, by Alex Tew by Seun(m): 9:43pm On Dec 30, 2005
Currently he has raised[b] $959,000[/b] already!
Re: The Million Dollar Homepage idea, by Alex Tew by layi(m): 6:30pm On Dec 31, 2005
A very strange idea. Times for re-inventing the wheels aint over yet.
Plus I heard he's been offered mouth watering job placement cuzz of his creativity.

Read more:
http://naijanet.com/news/source/2005/dec/30/1007.html
Re: The Million Dollar Homepage idea, by Alex Tew by sabrina: 6:53am On Jan 02, 2006
Love him or hate him - the boys done well. Theres also a lot to be said for girl power... you should check out http://www.pinknoticeboard.com - a refreshing change as its a site that looks even better than his and has more than just advertising space.... go girl!

Sabrina
Re: The Million Dollar Homepage idea, by Alex Tew by sabrina: 7:03am On Jan 02, 2006
I think the boys better watch out as theres a girl out there called Rupa making waves with her version of the milliondollarhomepage called www.pinkmilliondollars.com which actually looks better and provides more than just advertising...

One to definately watch out for!

Sabrina
Re: The Million Dollar Homepage idea, by Alex Tew by ijebuman(m): 1:02pm On Jan 03, 2006
I really hate this guy grin grin
I've been following his exploits since early september and it's truly the best 'dumbest' idea ever.

Its all about 'thinking outside the box' and kudos to this guy for making money from this idea. The idea is quirky and similar in a way, to the girl who ran up $20,000 worth of credit card debt, and then set up a Web site where people donated money to help her pay it all off. It seemed like a crazy idea but guess what, people actually donated and she eventually paid it all off and made some extra cash as well grin

http://www.savekaryn.com/AboutSaveKaryn.htm
check out the old original site http://www.savekaryn-originalsite.com/
Re: The Million Dollar Homepage idea, by Alex Tew by vizion: 2:54pm On Jan 03, 2006
men that guy is a king
Re: The Million Dollar Homepage idea, by Alex Tew by Seun(m): 3:15pm On Jan 03, 2006
I know that this is the kind of idea that young Nigerians will be excited about. Easy ways to make a lot of money! But the truth is that the guy was just lucky to be the first to come up with the idea, and as the first he was able to get a lot of attention from the media. And that is why he has been able to raise so much money. Others who try it will see that they won't get much response.
Re: The Million Dollar Homepage idea, by Alex Tew by ijebuman(m): 3:53pm On Jan 03, 2006
Seun:

I know that this is the kind of idea that young Nigerians will be excited about. Easy ways to make a lot of money!

Maybe that will make them realise that there are legal ways of making money on the net apart from 419 cheesy
Re: The Million Dollar Homepage idea, by Alex Tew by GreekFreek: 3:04am On Jan 05, 2006
I just went on that site Sabrina recommended and it seems that a girl called Rupa Kanabar has an advertiser that got 4 times more traffic or something from his advert on her website at www.pinkmilliondollars.com ! Shes pretty hot as well. kiss
Re: The Million Dollar Homepage idea, by Alex Tew by juanvelli: 10:30pm On Jan 05, 2006
¡¡56.610 ranking alexa!! www.webdelmillon.com shocked
Re: The Million Dollar Homepage idea, by Alex Tew by Catch22(m): 10:58pm On Jan 05, 2006
The Million Dollar Idea by Alex is cool and is one of the best examples yet that the Internet is a place to do New Things in a NEW way, instead of doing OLD things in a new way. But it is only the beginning.

I am convinced, that more savvy organisations will take Alex's business model and carve out niche Million Dollar Pages. In fact, I've found two such new NICHE sites. One is http://www.milliondollarcredithomepage.com/ and was recently featured by Yahoo News at http://news.yahoo.com/s/prweb/20060102/bs_prweb/prweb326701_3. And as if to prove my point, a number of finance related companies have bought pixels on the site. One such company is http://www.creditcardbank.co.uk/.

So, lets all praise Alex Tew not bury him!

Catch22
Re: The Million Dollar Homepage idea, by Alex Tew by GreekFreek: 2:01pm On Jan 06, 2006
I think Alex is great and hes done something amazing - hes make more money in a few months than over 95% of the population of britain will make in their whole lifetime - big respect to him.

You are right in what you say about thinking of something NEW etc but there is a lot to be said for finding a good idea and making it better if it works for you. Dont reinvent the wheel sometimes. Look at www.pinkmilliondollars.com - how good does that look? i read her blog and she had an advertiser giving her $1200 in one hit and no doubt more will follow... is that a failure for some hosting costs ? I dont think so - I think its a success already !
Re: The Million Dollar Homepage idea, by Alex Tew by abelkin: 5:29am On Jan 07, 2006
This one is interesting! http://www.milliondollartale.com
Looks like he took Alex's idea and put a spin on it...
Re: The Million Dollar Homepage idea, by Alex Tew by neticash(m): 3:09pm On Jan 13, 2006
This whole milliondollarhomepage idea (Brilliant Idea) scenario cannot work effectively in Nigeria without a good electronic payment service. Alex Tew was paid using paypal and nothing else, and hey presto the rest is history.

So if "TONY MUSIBAU" in Nigeria comes up with a "millionnairahomepage" idea how is he going to get paid. How will he collect his funds or millions.

Let's look at the big picture here. The only way it can happen is if he uses Nigeria's Premier ONLINE PAYMENT SERVICE, NETICASH.

NETICASH is a service that allows individuals and business to send and receive money online world wide. All you need to do as a buyer is register and load your account at any of the STB branches in Nigeria or Barclays bank in the UK  or PAYPAL worldwide.

As a seller, register, integrate the NETICASH payment tool with your website example: http://www.swap-ng.com/buyonline.html. So that NETICASH buyers can pay you seamlessly. Then you'll be on your way to the million naira goal.

Now, thus far there aren't any Nigerian Based website that can collect money seamlessly from it's customers via the internet.

Well, NOW there's NETICASH. Give it a go and be on your way to enjoying the Alex Tew experience.

Comments are always welcomed from people who have tried the service, 'cause this always shows that the person knows what they are talking about at least.

Thanks

NETICASH Mngt

www.neticash.com
Re: The Million Dollar Homepage idea, by Alex Tew by demmy(m): 5:30am On Jan 14, 2006
Another spin on the same gimmick

http://www.fillmyroom.com/
Re: The Million Dollar Homepage idea, by Alex Tew by rog37: 10:03am On Jan 16, 2006
Here's how to benefit from Alex Tew's idea, if you wish.

Go to http://www.pixmeup.com/rog37 and have a look at what
they are doing.

Apparently they were oversubscribed for membership within
weeks of opening, but you can pre-register before they
re-open on 22nd January.
Re: The Million Dollar Homepage idea, by Alex Tew by spider747: 9:16pm On Jan 17, 2006
News from www.millionairepixels.co.uk 
‘a Devon business with global ambition’

Date: Monday 16 January 2006                   

Australia asks Devon Designer for Help

Devon internet businessman and web designer Alan Wheeler has launched an innovative web advertising service which has already attracted an international company to sign up.

Bovey Tracey based Mr Wheeler has also been asked by Australian charity ‘Hope for Children’ to help them design and set up a similar web-based advertising service.

His web-service www.millionairepixels.co.uk  enables businesses to buy a square of pixels, on the web page. Customers click on the coloured pixels and are immediately transported to the advertiser’s web site.

With each block of 100 pixels costing just £60 (60p per unit) it is, believes Mr Wheeler, one of the best value advertising and promotion options for businesses of all sizes and a potentially valuable boost to tourism related services. 

And, in the longer term, advertisers could end up bidding for space on what is being described as internet ‘real estate’. 

Mr Wheeler, aged 42, said “It’s a quick and easy way for people to find a service or firm and it also gives competitive advantage to the businesses because, with the millions of web sites available, this will draw potential customers to them much more easily.”

“Without a doubt there are people globally willing to pay for quite gimmicky advertising solutions. The internet is a fast moving place with over eight million web pages added on a daily basis. For a website to stand out and generate sales it needs to stand out from the rest,” he added

Last autumn university student Alex Tew set up the Million Dollar site and since then has been overwhelmed by the success of a venture intended to raise enough money to pay for his way through university.

Alan Wheeler’s www.millionairepixels.co.uk is, he says, the next big step in the concept because, in effect, businesses are ‘leasing’ virtual real estate on the web to promote their businesses.

Launched just two weeks ago, www.millionairepixels.co.uk  has already won the backing of international business Optis Europe Ltd, an operations management company, which is using the site to promote its business.

With more customers advertising it is, says Mr Wheeler, inevitable that like real property, some of the pixels on his site will become increasingly valuable for their ‘owners’ as more business is generated.

However, the last 1200 pixels, or advertising blocks, will eventually be auctioned off in support of the Great Ormond Street Children’s Hospital, said Mr Wheeler.

Ends…

(1) (2) (Reply)

Mark Zuckerberg Wants To Rid The World Of Disease / 5 Reasons Why You Should Start A Blog In 2019 / The New Google Tweet Section

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.