Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,072 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:10 AM

Which Tribe In Nigeria Has The Largest Population? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Which Tribe In Nigeria Has The Largest Population? (39330 Views)

Meet The Ofoni People Of Bayelsa, The Only Urhobo Tribe In Bayelsa / Which Tribe In Nigeria Has The Most Beautiful Women? / Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Which Tribe In Nigeria Has The Largest Population? by Fulaman198(m): 11:41pm On Nov 08, 2014
macof:

Gambari is the Yoruba name for fulani
The current emir is of fulani ancestry through his father's side so in Yoruba language we have always called their clan - Gambari

Gambari isn't a Yoruba word though, it exists amongst the Fulani and Hausa people. It's even a common name in Mali.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YF1FgJa6Eo&

1 Like

Re: Which Tribe In Nigeria Has The Largest Population? by dboardman: 12:04pm On Nov 09, 2014
i think hausa have the largst population. Aside the fact that they have the largest landmass, i still think they are much more in population compare to Yoruba and Igbo. I'm open to counters.

1 Like

Re: Which Tribe In Nigeria Has The Largest Population? by pazienza(m): 5:02pm On Nov 09, 2014
macof:

Who put Benue, Cross river and Akwa,ibom as Igbo states? Better don't deceive yourself

We have Indigenous Igbo speaking people in Bayelsa, Cross river, Akwa ibom and Benue states, surprised? don't be.

1 Like

Re: Which Tribe In Nigeria Has The Largest Population? by neenar: 12:37am On Nov 11, 2014
pazienza:

We have Indigenous Igbo speaking people in Bayelsa, Cross river, Akwa ibom and Benue states, surprised? don't be.
Where in Bayelsa? The only non-ijaw part of Bayelsa is sagbama L.G.A, which has few isoko enclaves...
Re: Which Tribe In Nigeria Has The Largest Population? by pazienza(m): 12:45am On Nov 11, 2014
neenar:
Where in Bayelsa? The only non-ijaw part of Bayelsa is sagbama L.G.A, which has few isoko enclaves...

In Sagbama area. They are, Eke Okpokiri, Osekwenike and Abuetor. They are spill overs from Ukwuani area.

1 Like

Re: Which Tribe In Nigeria Has The Largest Population? by sule5727: 5:37pm On Nov 11, 2014
dboardman:
I don't know if this is the right section for this question but i just decided to post it here.
A conversation ensued between my neighbour and i about the tribe that has the largest population and in few minutes time, i couldnt believe how the discussion turn out to be a very very large and mighty ARGUEMENT that pulled so many crowd including passers-by. Then i kept wondering who's gonna win the debate? I decided to bring this to my nairalanders to please help me out with this.
WHICH TRIBE IN NIGERIA DO U THINK HAS THE LARGEST POPULATION?
MINE IS hausa....wats urs?
HAUSA.....
Re: Which Tribe In Nigeria Has The Largest Population? by neenar: 8:16pm On Nov 11, 2014
pazienza:

In Sagbama area. They are, Eke Okpokiri, Osekwenike and Abuetor. They are spill overs from Ukwuani area.
Are they coastal people?
Re: Which Tribe In Nigeria Has The Largest Population? by pazienza(m): 8:27pm On Nov 11, 2014
neenar:
Are they coastal people?

No.They are riverine.

1 Like

Re: Which Tribe In Nigeria Has The Largest Population? by Nobody: 11:53pm On Feb 14, 2015
dboardman:
i think hausa have the largst population. Aside the fact that they have the largest landmass, i still think they are much more in population compare to Yoruba and Igbo. I'm open to counters.

The Hausa/Fulani have highest population, Wen u split that, They move under IGBOS and YORUBAS. More people cant Live in the north than Evergreen south. A Desertificated area can never sustain Life like a Rain forest.

2 Likes

Re: Which Tribe In Nigeria Has The Largest Population? by macof(m): 12:26am On Feb 15, 2015
Mrval20:
It's the Hausa/Fulani tribe, and I'm not saying this because of the landmass. The Hausa/Fulani tribe (not just Hausa or Fulani, it's combined) has the largest population in Nigeria.
Igbos being located across the length and breadth of planet Earth simply shows the hustling spirit and adaptation ability of the tribe and does not in any way depict a massive population.
#myopinion

sad Ethnicities not tribes

1 Like

Re: Which Tribe In Nigeria Has The Largest Population? by Fulaman198(m): 1:58am On Feb 15, 2015
chuna1985:

The Hausa/Fulani have highest population, Wen u split that, They move under IGBOS and YORUBAS. More people cant Live in the north than Evergreen south. A Desertificated area can never sustain Life like a Rain forest.

Hausa and Fulani are not the same thing

2 Likes

Re: Which Tribe In Nigeria Has The Largest Population? by Emmyk(m): 6:23am On Feb 16, 2015
Chiwude:
The Gambaris are mixed (Fulani/Arewa and Yoruba), but they prefer to be called Fulanis even though they understand only Yoruba language. Saraki and so many others are from this tribe. Also, the Ilorin Emirate comprises : Ilorin West, Ilorin East, Ilorin South, Asa and Moro L.G.Areas. All the above form the Ilorin Senatorial zone (Kwara Central) that is talked about.

@Bolded: That is the idea of this thread sir. cheesy They might not be Yorubas but they speak Yoruba lingual. This thread is not treating Tribes buh languages.
You only served in Kwara. Well I was born in Kwara and I've spent over 20years there. I can authoritatively tell you 85-90% of Kwarans are Yoruba speaks.
Thank You cheesy cheesy

Quite an educative thread. smiley
Re: Which Tribe In Nigeria Has The Largest Population? by Junior66(m): 11:26pm On Oct 31, 2015
Mrval20:
It's the Hausa/Fulani tribe, and I'm not saying this because of the landmass. The Hausa/Fulani tribe (not just Hausa or Fulani, it's combined) has the largest population in Nigeria.
Igbos being located across the length and breadth of planet Earth simply shows the hustling spirit and adaptation ability of the tribe and does not in any way depict a massive population.
#myopinion
which one is Hausa/fulani tribe again? You are either a fulani or an hausa man. Both are two very different tribes. Have you heard anybody say yoruba/igbo tribe before or igala/yoruba tribe? Please stop the misinformation.

5 Likes

Re: Which Tribe In Nigeria Has The Largest Population? by loshybab(m): 12:17am On Nov 01, 2015
Quite an educative and informative thread.
But i wud say yorubas,igbos,hausas,fulanis and others in that order are more in terms of population.we people frm d'south mst tyms distinguish hausa frm fulani,which is so, bt mst people in d'north combine dem togeda especially whr we hv significant no of both lyk katsina,taraba,sokoto,kebbi etc states.
But d'language dts bn spoken most is hausa,yoruba and then igbo in dt order as well.they hv d'larger landmass,no doubt, bt few lives in doz lands compared to d'south, wt d'xceptn of kano though

1 Like

Re: Which Tribe In Nigeria Has The Largest Population? by Fulaman198(m): 12:46am On Nov 01, 2015
Junior66:
which one is Hausa/fulani tribe again? You are either a fulani or an hausa man. Both are two very different tribes. Have you heard anybody say yoruba/igbo tribe before or igala/yoruba tribe? Please stop the misinformation.

Thank you
Re: Which Tribe In Nigeria Has The Largest Population? by Nobody: 1:18pm On Nov 01, 2015
Fulaman198:

Thank you

I think he was using the term as a way to deceive, using some what only hausa population as that for both ETHNICITIES. Hausas alone have 21% and Fulbe have a very sizeable 11%.

1 Like

Re: Which Tribe In Nigeria Has The Largest Population? by Fulaman198(m): 12:20am On Nov 02, 2015
VoslerGrimsbane:

I think he was using the term as a way to deceive, using some what only hausa population as that for both ETHNICITIES. Hausas alone have 21% and Fulbe have a very sizeable 11%.

100% correct brother

1 Like

Re: Which Tribe In Nigeria Has The Largest Population? by Obas101(m): 1:24am On Jan 15, 2016
1- Yoruba - Lagos, Ogun, Ondo, Ekiti, Oyo, Osun, Kogi West, Kwara, parts of Edo.
2- Hausa - Kano, Jigawa, Katsina, Sokoto, Zamfara, 70% Kebbi, Kaduna North, Bauch.
3- Igbo- Imo, Anambra, Enugu, Ebonyi, Abia, 1/3 Delta, 1/3 Rivers.
4- Fulani - Adamawa, Gombe, Taraba, Bauchi, Yobe, Plateau, Kebbi- All over Northern and Central Nigeria.

The rest are up for grabs
Kogi no b yoruba state o

1 Like

Re: Which Tribe In Nigeria Has The Largest Population? by toyinakomolafe(m): 7:44am On Jan 15, 2016
Are you in Nigeria?
Obas101:

Kogi no b yoruba state o
Re: Which Tribe In Nigeria Has The Largest Population? by Obas101(m): 8:02am On Jan 15, 2016
toyinakomolafe:
Are you in Nigeria?
I say dat because d yorubas here are minority, kogi state is a multilingual state with igala nd ebira as a majority. Nd if its region u want to talk of, it's northern middle belt
Modified : are you high sad sad

1 Like

Re: Which Tribe In Nigeria Has The Largest Population? by toyinakomolafe(m): 11:27am On Jan 15, 2016
I think you are in haste to comment, if you were patient enough to read that comment, the guy said ""KOGI WEST"" hope you got it no.
Obas101:

I say dat because d yorubas here are minority, kogi state is a multilingual state with igala nd ebira as a majority. Nd if its region u want to talk of, it's northern middle belt
Modified : are you high sad sad
Re: Which Tribe In Nigeria Has The Largest Population? by Obas101(m): 12:10pm On Jan 15, 2016
toyinakomolafe:
I think you are in haste to comment, if you were patient enough to read that comment, the guy said ""KOGI WEST"" hope you got it no.
Aii.. Sorry 4 being rude
Re: Which Tribe In Nigeria Has The Largest Population? by toyinakomolafe(m): 12:24pm On Jan 15, 2016
Obas101:

Aii.. Sorry 4 being rude

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Eight Most Powerful Women Inside The Aláàfin Of Ọyọ’s Palace That You Never / Americans/Canadians Of Igbo Ancestry Storm Anambra, Get Igbo Names, Land / Queen Aanu: My life Threatened For Walking Out Of My Marriage - Alaafin's Wife

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.