Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,851 members, 7,810,280 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:39 AM

Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria (39250 Views)

Meet The Ofoni People Of Bayelsa, The Only Urhobo Tribe In Bayelsa / Which Tribe In Nigeria Has The Largest Population? / Which Tribe In Nigeria Has The Most Beautiful Women? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria by kojeiwa(m): 5:00pm On Oct 29, 2007
I heard that the yorubas are the most educated tribe in Nigeria. Is that true?

I am not saying it because i am yoruba. I am Edo as a matter of fact.

Any documentated facts?
Re: Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria by kojeiwa(m): 6:14pm On Oct 29, 2007
LOL, no really i am just curious. Is not that it matters to me. I just wanted to confirm the fact.

Because a friend and I argued about it.
Re: Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:45pm On Oct 29, 2007
rubbish.
Re: Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria by kojeiwa(m): 7:48pm On Oct 29, 2007
What's the hating about. I am seeking an answer to a question, you guys are just busy hating. I didn't say so.
Re: Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:51pm On Oct 29, 2007
hhon, no tribe is more educated than another tribe. . .each individuals decide to be educated or not!!!! literacy is not based on tribes but on each person's effort.
like in U.S. . .you say a black person is smarter than a Spanish person

1 Like

Re: Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria by chiogo(f): 11:12pm On Oct 29, 2007
@topic, I agree!! wink
Re: Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria by naijadiva2(f): 11:23pm On Oct 29, 2007
toyinrayo:

hhon, no tribe is more educated than another tribe. . .each individuals decide to be educated or not!!!! literacy is not based on tribes but on each person's effort.
like in US. . .you say a black person is smarter than a Spanish person

don't let the no english fool you, spanish people are genius. they good when it comes to business and spending money. they buy a car at a really cheap price but sell it to you very high, making profit out of you. they just playing around, wiat, when the time comes, they gonna out shine everyone.
Re: Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria by almondjoy(f): 12:05am On Oct 30, 2007
Yeah! It really shows in Nigeria!--I think I prefer to stay ignorant for life then if "education" as you call it is anything to go by.
Re: Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria by omogenaija(f): 12:14am On Oct 30, 2007
umm if we r then thats good , but idk how true that is b/c the yorubas i know say that igbos and hausas are smarter , but u never know
anyways we should generalize lipsrsealed
Re: Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria by kojeiwa(m): 5:31am On Oct 30, 2007
I am not saying that Yorubas are smarter, i said i heard that Yorubas are more of all the educated Nigerians,

home and oversea. Some of the Igbos want to get rich quick, therefore they don't spend more time in school,

rather they go into business, that don't mean they are not as smart.
Re: Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria by willy4: 4:04pm On Oct 30, 2007
kojeiwa:

I heard that the Yoruba's are the most educated tribe in Nigeria. Is that true?
Yes, your right they are the most Educated Chameleons in Nigeria, they are well Educated in back stabbing.

2 Likes

Re: Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria by sophienwa(f): 7:59pm On Oct 30, 2007
personally i think that is a fact. however, that does not necessarily make them the most intelligent or the smartest set of people in naija(and before any yoruba person decides 2 eat me alive, i am not saying they r not either).i think people on here r getting education and intelligence/being smart mixed up ,see they r not one and the same.

the yorubas have this obsession with education and school and all that and that is just the way it is.  i believe yorubas tend 2 equate education with success or at least potential success and that is why they pursue it that way. that is my own 2 cents.

BTW i am yoruba so i ain't dissing no one.

1 Like

Re: Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria by chika98: 8:07am On Nov 01, 2007
Yes they are but what have they got to show for it? if not for Awolowo that is
Re: Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria by laudate: 12:46pm On Nov 01, 2007
willy*2:

Yes, your right they are the most Educated Chameleons in Nigeria, they are well Educated in back stabbing.

Hehehe. . . . .make I perch for this corner, dey siddon look! tongue Am waiting for the Yoruba folks to give you a good response to this comment. Wey my groundnuts and popcorn, sef?? This promises to be ver-rr-ry interesting. wink Am just curious though. How many of them have stabbed you in the back or have acted as chameleons, under your own very nose?

chika98:

Yes they are but what have they got to show for it? if not for Awolowo that is

Don't worry, am sure they will be here soon to answer your question! wink
Re: Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria by FSU: 9:23am On Nov 02, 2007
poster
I heard that the yorubas are the most educated tribe in Nigeria. Is that true?

Waoh! clap for yourself. You just heard, no proof.

I assume that the poster is new here. Otherwise he/she should have known that this matter has been discussed intensely before. Now he/she sneaks through the back-door to declare parochially that Yorubas are the most educated. Yorubas used to be the most educated (not necessarily the better educated). The glory is attenuated. That tide has changed. The Igbo has taken over since the last several years, as the most educated (and again not necessarily the better educated). I emphasise ''better'' because Nigerian education has long become about quantity not quality

I refer you to the link here on NVS, where you can get some useful statistics via other links. This topic is so far the most discussed, as you will find out from the number of exchanges that took place then.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-36515.0.html

3 Likes

Re: Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria by lamisanya(m): 1:25pm On Nov 02, 2007
FSU:

poster

Waoh! clap for yourself. You just heard, no proof.

I assume that the poster is new here. Otherwise he/she should have known that this matter has been discussed intensely before. Now he/she sneaks through the back-door to declare parochially that Yorubas are the most educated. Yorubas used to be the most educated (not necessarily the better educated). The glory is attenuated. That tide has changed. The Igbo has taken over since the last several years, as the most educated (and again not necessarily the better educated). I emphasise ''better'' because Nigerian education has long become about quantity not quality

I refer you to the link here on NVS, where you can get some useful statistics via other links. This topic is so far the most discussed, as you will find out from the number of exchanges that took place then.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-36515.0.html
Where is your own proof? this topic is too controversial because people will confuse being educated with being smart. this is a matter of quantity and by so saying the poster us likely to be correct. I'm yoruba so Bite me!! As for the awolowo issue i refuse to be drawn into any foolish argument about political icons but just to inform Chika98 look to the country's banking and business sector and check out which tribe dominates.
Re: Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria by londoner: 2:48pm On Nov 02, 2007
From what I have seen, the banking system has a heavy Igbo presence, but what is important is that the Nigerian banking system is improving for the good of ALL NIGERIANS, isn't that whats important?
Re: Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria by FSU: 2:55pm On Nov 02, 2007
lamisanya:

Where is your own proof? this topic is too controversial because people will confuse being educated with being smart. this is a matter of quantity and by so saying the poster us likely to be correct. I'm yoruba so Bite me!! As for the awolowo issue i refuse to be drawn into any foolish argument about political icons but just to inform Chika98 look to the country's banking and business sector and check out which tribe dominates.

Check out JAMB statistics:

http://www.jambng.com/adm_ume.php (UNIVERSITY)

http://www.jambng.com/adm_pce.php (POLYTECHNIC AND COLLEGES OF EDUCATION)

What you see for the last 7-8 years (or so) will blow your mind. Why do we have to walk these paths (debating to and fro) again, after all the data show what is on the ground currently?

Yoruba appear (no 100 % surety) to dominate in banking sector, but things have also changed after the CBN consolidation exercise. Please check the list of the CEOs of the 25 banks. Nonetheless, Yoruba so-called domination of Banks means nothing because banking is not the only thing in Nigeria
Who dominates in business? The Yoruba/Igbo/Hausa/Ijaw, etc?
Who dominates in IT?
Who dominates in science?
Who dominates in Engineering?
Who dominates in literature?
Who dominates in public relations?
Who and who are the graduates in the entertainment industry?
Who are who amongst the Nigerians in diaspora?

Moreover, there is something you may not appreciate, and that is the fact that due to unemployment, many Nigerian graduates go into business. Does this mean they are not educated? I myself hold a post graduate degree, yet I am a business man (I was never unemployed, just decided to go into business.

Look no make me vex now grin grin
Re: Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria by londoner: 3:08pm On Nov 02, 2007
Lord take the wheel, please!
Re: Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria by kojeiwa(m): 4:41pm On Nov 02, 2007
I see the Igbo's don't want to admit the facts that the Yorubas are more Educated. Its okay,

you guys are good in lots of other things as well. Long its all for a better NIGERIA. You can be

Educated and not be successful. But as the saying goes, "Education is the key to success"

Nigerians are the most educated in Africa, lets stick to that fact, maybe behind South Africa.

@FSU
Its not by the percentage admitted, but by the percentage graduated. The Rate of admission is not

directly proportional to the rate graduation.
Re: Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria by pilgrim1(f): 10:43pm On Nov 02, 2007
Lol. . . it all depends on the geographic distribution of those who may describe themselves as 'most/more educated Nigerians'. Personally, I've met a lot of Edo chaps who have the brains and have made their Yoruba friends mere spectators. But that is not saying that Edos are "more educated" than Yorubas. . . it simply means that at the time and given the circumstances - oh well! grin

Perhaps what's important (at least to me) is that Nigerians are not dumb. Whether the Yorubas are the most educated in Nigeria needs important qualification as to what the term "most educated" points to. grin

1 Like

Re: Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria by Cyclone5(m): 10:12am On Nov 03, 2007
kojeiwa:

I see the Igbo's don't want to admit the facts that the Yorubas are more Educated. Its okay,

you guys are good in lots of other things as well. Long its all for a better NIGERIA. You can be

Educated and not be successful. But as the saying goes, "Education is the key to success"

Nigerians are the most educated in Africa, lets stick to that fact, maybe behind South Africa.

@FSU
Its not by the percentage admitted, but by the percentage graduated. The Rate of admission is not

directly proportional to the rate graduation.

See as you trip yourself up? You asked what you claim is an innocent question yet here you are making categorical statements. Shame on you! Instigator! angry

2 Likes

Re: Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria by lamisanya(m): 10:50am On Nov 03, 2007
@FSU
You seem to have misconstrued what I meant by "dominates". maybe what i should have said was; predominant. my "dominate" means no of skilled labourers. Is it politics that made the south-west a commercial hot-spot at least the capital has moved from lagos for more than 10 years. the Yoruba's believe in sending their children to school for "IWE MEWA" which was Awolowo's belief. whether they do any thing with this education is not any of my business. you have quoted jamb statistics but i failed to get whether they also included college of education statistics.It is wise to note that the statistics indicate state of examination not state of origin of the candidates, also if you quote Primary and secondary school statistics i'm sure the far north will dominate. Every tribe (including the yoruba) likes to pride itself in being the best in something. AAhhg this argument is making me too tribalistic angry angry angry
Re: Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria by FSU: 1:54pm On Nov 03, 2007
lamisanya:

@FSU
You seem to have misconstrued what I meant by "dominates". maybe what i should have said was; predominant. my "dominate" means no of skilled labourers. Is it politics that made the south-west a commercial hot-spot at least the capital has moved from lagos for more than 10 years. the Yoruba's believe in sending their children to school for "IWE MEWA" which was Awolowo's belief. whether they do any thing with this education is not any of my business. you have quoted jamb statistics but i failed to get whether they also included college of education statistics.It is wise to note that the statistics indicate state of examination not state of origin of the candidates, also if you quote Primary and secondary school statistics i'm sure the far north will dominate. Every tribe (including the yoruba) likes to pride itself in being the best in something. AAhhg this argument is making me too tribalistic angry angry angry

I am very sure you are not yourself educated.

1. I have proved that in the last several years, Igbos, followed by the south south, are the most (not necessarily the best) educated Nigerians. So says JAMB, and that includes UME for universities and PCE for polytechnics and colleges of Education. Check the JAMB statistics again.

2. If  you passed through JAMB, you would have known that it deals with state of origin , just like other things in Nigeria. That is how they arrive at quota sytem, catchment area, educationally disadvantaged states, and all such trite stuff.

3. There is no unified record of who is graduating from the university and who is not. In the absence of such handy national graduation record, JAMB statistics hold. Nevertheless, by virue of percentage, it should go that if more Igbos are admitted into the universities than Yorubas, it follows that more Igbos should also graduate. Unless you are implying that Igbos are less intelligent than the Yoruba, which of course is not the case. Intelligence is individual and has nothing to do with tribe.

4. Do you have a record of the number of skilled workers in all Nigeria's 25 banks? If not, then shut up. However, to educate your small mind, Igbos are known to be the second most populous Nigerians after the indigenes of a place. And Igbos are known to compete well in job search, even outside Igboland. Now walk into the Bank in Lagos/Ibadan and tell me the number of Igbos you will find there. Do the same in Aba/Onitsha/PH etc and tell me the number of Yoruba you will find there. Do the maths. I can estimate, based on the fact that other Nigerians do not reside in Igboland in dramatic numbers, that more than 80% of bank staff in all Igbo states, and Rivers state are Igbo. Can you say the same for Yoruba bank staff in Yoruba states, especially Lagos?

5. Lagos is the only commercial hotspot and not the entire southwest (SW). Note the difference. With the slow rate of growth of Nigeria, it will take far more time to de-emphasise Lagos in terms of economic strenght. Remove Lagos, and the SW is as dead as dead wood, economically speaking. Ibadan is far less economically viable when compared to Onitsha, Aba or Nnewi, not to talk of PH. You really need to travel out a bit from your cocoon in Yorubaland. As for Ekiti, Ondo, Abeokuta etc, those are boring places. Nothing happens there.

3. The north cannot dominate even in primary, not to talk of secondary education. Everyone knows that.

When you finish these assignments I have given you, then you can come and talk again. Ewu most educated Nigerian.
Re: Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria by lamisanya(m): 3:25am On Nov 04, 2007
@FSU
now that it's time for low blows, what do you know about the north, virtually all the igbo people in the north are traders courtesy of religious riots. yoruba's tend to be safer as most are muslims so apart from northern minority tribes who else do you think populates the skilled labour market Igbos? na yam?
Also only oppressed "south-southerners" will go to the east to seek employment in banks. we all know shit ain't going on there except trading. But all this is by the way-side. I've grew up in the north, schooled at ibadan and i have stayed for at least 6 months in all Geo-political zones., i work with unicef so i know my Shit.I've probably contributed to some of the stuff you're Quoting!!. all the time i've spent in yoruba land isn't up to 10 yrs so i ain't no cocoon boy angry.P.s. because clothes and spare parts are being sold at onitsha and Oil is being exploited in rivers state doesn't mean you should equate commercial hustle and bustle with education. i brought the issue up because the only thing the south west has is limestone(ogun state) yet a lot of shit goes down and yes even outside lagos. I have to stop here. my suppressed tribalistic tendencies have been awakened. now i have to fast in penance for the next 3 weeks. I will never allow my self to visit this topic again. angry angry angry
Re: Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria by FSU: 9:47am On Nov 05, 2007
lamisanya:

@FSU
now that it's time for low blows, what do you know about the north, virtually all the igbo people in the north are traders courtesy of religious riots. yoruba's tend to be safer as most are muslims so apart from northern minority tribes who else do you think populates the skilled labour market Igbos? na yam?
Also only oppressed "south-southerners" will go to the east to seek employment in banks. we all know shit ain't going on there except trading. But all this is by the way-side. I've grew up in the north, schooled at ibadan and i have stayed for at least 6 months in all Geo-political zones., i work with unicef so i know my Shit.I've probably contributed to some of the stuff you're Quoting!!. all the time i've spent in yoruba land isn't up to 10 years so i ain't no cocoon boy angry.P.s. because clothes and spare parts are being sold at onitsha and Oil is being exploited in rivers state doesn't mean you should equate commercial hustle and bustle with education. i brought the issue up because the only thing the south west has is limestone(ogun state) yet a lot of shit goes down and yes even outside lagos. I have to stop here. my suppressed tribalistic tendencies have been awakened. now i have to fast in penance for the next 3 weeks. I will never allow my self to visit this topic again. angry angry angry

1. According to you, virtually all the Igbos in the North are traders. Now this shows your warped sense of analysis. Many of the so-called traders are elderly people with children. These children attend universities in the North. It was in the North that Igbos like Zik, Ojukwu, Cyprian Ekwensi, Rochas Okorocha, the minister of information in OBJs govt (I forgot his name) and hundreds of thousands of Igbos were born. Many of these people schooled there. Thus, Igbo traders have their kids in universities in the North. You should ask yourself why more Igbo people are being admitted in unis and polys than others. Do you think all of those are Igbos based in Igboland?

2. Being a trader is more dignifying than being an Agbero which many Yoruba youths are today. In Port Harcourt, Kano etc, the Yorubas own most of the mamaput (those dirty olonjes) and are mostly taxi drivers. Is that more dignifying than being a trader?

3. You are still to define which skilled labour the Yoruba populate. Assumming they populate in banking, what of other human endevours? Do they populate those too?

3. A yoruba with all your claims of education was CBN governor before Soludo. The banking system practically collapsed under the Yoruba CBN gov.

3. Most of the banks run by Yorubas were deceptive family banks that collapsed soon afterwards. Societe Generale Bank (Saraki) is a living example. Is that the education?

4. I have had Yorubas as class mates. They are not in any way better than anyone. I schooled at UNA primary school Inalende and at Loyola school in Molete, both in Ibadan. I know the Yoruba people and their ways like the palm of my hands. So quit your noise making.

5. I want you to understand that a significant proportion of business men in Nigeria are graduates. Unemployment pushed them into trading. Does that make them uneducated?

6. You claim to have travelled out of your small world in Yorubaland. Now, apart from Lagos, can you say candidly that any economic activities go on in other Yoruba towns more than Aba, Onitsha and Nnewi?

7. Lagos is a conglomerate of all Nigerians. Thus, the Yoruba cannot arrogate all the economic activities taking place there to themselves. As a matter of fact, it is known that 30-35 % of Lagos population is Igbo. Remove this and remove the hausa, Edo and Niger Delta people in Lagos and lets talk what is left of the rump of Yoruba there.

Ewu, educated Yoruba who is better than others.

4 Likes

Re: Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria by Shentz(f): 7:37pm On Nov 11, 2007
That's a damn lie!
Re: Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria by oziomatv(m): 2:55pm On Jan 02, 2008
After they finished their English lessons in universities home and abroad
they took a ministerial post or administrative post in top nigerian firms
sit there only to speak grammars and loot the government.
the pratical works and inteligient works will be left to Igbos to do.
any way they're educated sha
Re: Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria by olydim: 4:04pm On Jan 02, 2008
JAMB statistics and records of Nigerian students in Diaspora say otherwise. The Igbos are in charge now.

1 Like

Re: Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria by ifyalways(f): 4:13pm On Jan 02, 2008
why is the poster of this thread always starting threads that wud bring nothing but trival war,hate and confusion ?

@ topic nigerians are educated.ciao
Re: Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria by kensabina: 4:14pm On Jan 02, 2008
hello!! house,happy new!. please can some tell me any latest on intercontinental bank last test?
Re: Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria by oziomatv(m): 4:43pm On Jan 02, 2008
you posted it in a wrong thread this place is for
tribal related topics if not hatred related
it's for those who hate IGBOS
NOT BANKING

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Which Tribe In Nigeria Has The Largest Population? / Badirat Adeyemi, Alaafin Of Oyo’s Wife Matriculates (Photos) / The Eight Most Powerful Women Inside The Aláàfin Of Ọyọ’s Palace That You Never

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.