Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,812 members, 7,820,869 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:46 PM

Protecting Children From Consumer Culture - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Protecting Children From Consumer Culture (484 Views)

Amazing !! Woman With 14 Children From 14 Husbands.b / Separated From My Husband And He Is Keeping My Children From Me / Wonders Shall Never End...11 Children From One Mother. (pic) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Protecting Children From Consumer Culture by Nobody: 12:20pm On Nov 06, 2014
Children are a special target of advertisers, and understandably so. Young people are shopping and spending more than ever before. In the United States, teenagers represent a multibillion-dollar annual market.

However, researcher Juliet Schor suggests that children who are highly involved in consumer culture are more prone to childhood depression and anxiety and have worse relationships with their parents. How can you protect your children? Consider the practical ways some parents have endeavoured to protect thier children.

EDUCATE: "You cannot totally protect kids from advertising because it is everywhere. So we explain to our girls that advertisers have an agenda and that the companies that hire them want money. They don't have our best interests in mind."--James and Jessica.

STAY IN CONTROL: "Kids put pressure on you to buy, and they really try to break you down. But it is important not to give in. Eventually they learn that they won't get everything. As we were raising our daughter, we often talked together as parents about how to be balanced and what limits to set."--Scot and Kelli.

LIMIT EXPOSURE: "Our family watches very little television. It's just not a part of our family routine. We fill time that could be spent watching TV with other activities. We cook and eat together, and our boys are avid readers."--JoHn and Jennifer.

There you have it.

What do you think?

2 Likes

Re: Protecting Children From Consumer Culture by AfricanApple(f): 1:11pm On Nov 06, 2014
its a nice one but no matter how u train your child well, they can at any time turn towards d opposite

train them d best vu can and leave d rest for God. parents should stop blaming themselves for their child's misfortune

whoever is reading this should pls vote for me on this thread. https://www.nairaland.com/1983548/miss-nairaland-december-2014-contest#27772435

(1) (Reply)

With No Mournful Groan / Support Widows Empowerment In Akure This Xmas! / MONEY MAKING IDEAS 101 For The Family

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.