Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,853 members, 7,810,280 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:57 AM

MEET The World’s 'poorest' President Who Lives On A Farm & Whose Official Car Is - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / MEET The World’s 'poorest' President Who Lives On A Farm & Whose Official Car Is (5613 Views)

Meet The World’s Poorest President Who Lives On A Farm & Drives A 1987 Beetle / Meet The World Poorest President & His Popular Vintage / This Man Is The World’s Poorest President (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

MEET The World’s 'poorest' President Who Lives On A Farm & Whose Official Car Is by onlykay(m): 10:35pm On Nov 07, 2014
MEET the World’s 'Poorest' President who Lives on a Farm & Whose Official car is a 1987 Beetle!

He lives on a farm, and his official car is a 1987 Volkswagen Beetle. He donates 90% of his monthly salary to charity. President of Uruguay, Jose Mujica, is not your average president.

It is commonplace to see some presidents of countries living lavish lifestyles, and in some extreme cases, looting their countries’ finances for personal gain. But not Mujica.

He is commonly known as the world’s “poorest” president because of his austere lifestyle.

Mujica rejected the luxurious presidential residence the government provided for him and instead opted to live on his wife’s farm located on a dirt road outside the country’s capital. They have no domestic workers – they do all the farm work by themselves. The only staff they have are two police officers.

In 2010, his annual personal wealth declaration – mandatory for officials in Uruguay – was $1,800, the value of his Beetle.

In an interview with BBC, he said:

“I’ve lived like this most of my life, I can live well with what I have

I’m called ‘the poorest president’, but I don’t feel poor. Poor people are those who only work to try to keep an expensive lifestyle, and always want more and more

This is a matter of freedom. If you don’t have many possessions then you don’t need to work all your life like a slave to sustain them, and therefore you have more time for yourself…”

Mujica also has unique views about poverty alleviation. In the 2012 Rio+20 summit he stated:

But what are we thinking? Do we want the model of development and consumption of the rich countries? I ask you now: what would happen to this planet if Indians would have the same proportion of cars per household than Germans? How much oxygen would we have left?

“Does this planet have enough resources so seven or eight billion can have the same level of consumption and waste that today is seen in rich societies? It is this level of hyper-consumption that is harming our planet.

An Arab sheikh recently offered him $1 million for his Beetle. Mujica is currently considering the offer, and says that if he does sell it, he will donate the money to charity.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: MEET The World’s 'poorest' President Who Lives On A Farm & Whose Official Car Is by Barbiedab(f): 10:47pm On Nov 07, 2014
shocked shocked shocked
Re: MEET The World’s 'poorest' President Who Lives On A Farm & Whose Official Car Is by coolxpat(m): 10:57pm On Nov 07, 2014
That is the life... CONTEMPTMENT

1 Like

Re: MEET The World’s 'poorest' President Who Lives On A Farm & Whose Official Car Is by Nobody: 11:09pm On Nov 07, 2014
Dlionsheart:

Yes, a Nigerian president can do such and even much more IF AND ONLY IF ITS CITIZENS: COMMUNITY PEOPLE, SCHOOL MATE, YOUTHS, FRIENDS AND FAMILY WILL NOT PUT FINANCIAL PRESSURE ON HIM TO STEAL IN ORDER TO PLEASE THEM.
[b]....even this man that is the poorest president in the world also had some people around him that puts so much pressure on him and are not happy with his life-style but he did not let their opinion or their pressure change him...so everyone should take responsibility for his/her actions and not try to blame it on someone else...and guess what? do you know that some nigerian leaders and even some leaders at all other countries do not even help people around them not to now talk of trying to please them....now let us be sincere with ourselves and ask once more,how many african president will do that even without financial pressure like you said?do you know that some of our past presidents did not even take care of a lot of people around them even when they were getting the wealth as a president so where is the pressure coming from?grin

a nigerian president that if possible wants to spend all his life-time to be the president of nigeria so that he can continue to embezzle our money will you say financial pressure made him to become greedy after stealing billions and billions of naira?acquiring private jets for himself and spending lavishly,trust me no one should have an excuse for stealing,greed and bad conscience.

though you made a very good point but whether they put financial pressure on someone or not a greedy man will always be a greedy man,..imagine a very young boy who has become greedy since when he was small even when he had no financial pressure on him and that same boy grew up to become proud,greedy and wants to very wealthy by force would you say financial pressure from people made him become that?[/b]

2 Likes

Re: MEET The World’s 'poorest' President Who Lives On A Farm & Whose Official Car Is by grinface98(m): 11:33pm On Nov 07, 2014
That's what we call a 'Selfless Personalty'....Only if a Nigerian president could do such

1 Like

Re: MEET The World’s 'poorest' President Who Lives On A Farm & Whose Official Car Is by kommiejewel(f): 11:38pm On Nov 07, 2014
May God bless his humble heart....God said He will cast down those who lift themselves up but exalt those who humble themselves....

1 Like

Re: MEET The World’s 'poorest' President Who Lives On A Farm & Whose Official Car Is by Nobody: 11:40pm On Nov 07, 2014
grinface98:
That's what we call a 'Selfless Personalty'....Only if a Nigerian president could do such
what a nigerian president will say is that "The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak...grin

6 Likes

Re: MEET The World’s 'poorest' President Who Lives On A Farm & Whose Official Car Is by Nobody: 11:43pm On Nov 07, 2014
kommiejewel:
May God bless his humble heart....God said He will cast down those who lift themselves up but exalt those who humble themselves....
***ojigbi jigbi****preach on my pastor...grin

1 Like

Re: MEET The World’s 'poorest' President Who Lives On A Farm & Whose Official Car Is by youngice(m): 11:43pm On Nov 07, 2014
wakacome:
what a nigerian president will say is that "The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak...grin
Dieesss
rotfl dayum

but the man try sha
Re: MEET The World’s 'poorest' President Who Lives On A Farm & Whose Official Car Is by Nobody: 11:44pm On Nov 07, 2014
Barbiedab:
shocked shocked shocked
***puts stockings into her mouth*
Re: MEET The World’s 'poorest' President Who Lives On A Farm & Whose Official Car Is by Dlionsheart: 4:30am On Nov 08, 2014
grinface98:

Yes, a Nigerian president can do such and even much more IF AND ONLY IF ITS CITIZENS: COMMUNITY PEOPLE, SCHOOL MATE, YOUTHS, FRIENDS AND FAMILY WILL NOT PUT FINANCIAL PRESSURE ON HIM TO STEAL IN ORDER TO PLEASE THEM.

I have worked very close to the corridor of power (politicians) in Nigeria and can tell you the financial pressure on them from different groups, associations, individuals, party members, family members, etc. They come with different financial demands and will do anything to discredit your name or government if their needs are not satisfactorily met, not minding your sources of income, limitations, etc. Though this is not a justification for corruption but it aided corruption and for it to go, this must be checked.

3 Likes

Re: MEET The World’s 'poorest' President Who Lives On A Farm & Whose Official Car Is by grinface98(m): 4:59am On Nov 08, 2014
Dlionsheart:

Yes, a Nigerian president can do such and even much more IF AND ONLY IF ITS CITIZENS: COMMUNITY PEOPLE, SCHOOL MATES, YOUTHS, FRIENDS AND FAMILY WILL NOT PUT FINANCIAL PRESSURE ON HIM TO STEAL IN ORDER TO PLEASE THEM.

I have worked very close to the corridor of power (politicians) in Nigeria and can tell you the financial pressure on them from different groups, associations, individuals, party members, family members, etc. They come with different financial demands and will do anything to discredit your name or government if their needs are not satisfactorily met, not minding your sources of income, limitations, etc. Though this is not a justification for corruption but it aided corruption and for it to go, this must be checked.
True talk, mate! *Thumbs up*
Re: MEET The World’s 'poorest' President Who Lives On A Farm & Whose Official Car Is by Dlionsheart: 5:31am On Nov 08, 2014
grinface98:
True talk, mate! *Thumbs up*

Thanks bro. Modified, thumbstake grin grin grin grin

BUT SERIOUSLY,
the attitude and mindset of Nigerians need to change towards political office holders or elected officials and our leaders if we must achieve this in Nigeria. I witnessed a situation in Nigeria where a sitting president send his younger sister parking from the presidential resident (villa), and had serious trouble with his wife for using his name/office to accept gifts, gratifications, contracts from individuals, companies, party leaders, etc, and for an unholy political romance with some governors and state party leaders. This family issue brought in royal fathers, political big wig and elders from the region to settle. They told him (the president) that THIS IS OUR TIME. And you know they say blood is ticker than water.

How can Nigerian citizens fight corruption this way and still complained about leaders

1 Like

Re: MEET The World’s 'poorest' President Who Lives On A Farm & Whose Official Car Is by Dollabommie(m): 5:41am On Nov 08, 2014
who knows?...dis might make Fp...hands crossed.. grin
Re: MEET The World’s 'poorest' President Who Lives On A Farm & Whose Official Car Is by Smooyis(m): 5:56am On Nov 08, 2014
No one can do this out personal volition except he is led by God. kudos to him
Re: MEET The World’s 'poorest' President Who Lives On A Farm & Whose Official Car Is by Nobody: 6:03am On Nov 08, 2014
HUMILITY AT ITS PEAK.
Re: MEET The World’s 'poorest' President Who Lives On A Farm & Whose Official Car Is by plucky16(m): 6:16am On Nov 08, 2014
Dlionsheart:

A thief will always be a thief regardless of the pressure....

1 Like

Re: MEET The World’s 'poorest' President Who Lives On A Farm & Whose Official Car Is by Dlionsheart: 6:22am On Nov 08, 2014
plucky16:

A thief will always be a thief regardless of the pressure....

But we still have a responsibility to make them less thievery grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: MEET The World’s 'poorest' President Who Lives On A Farm & Whose Official Car Is by Nobody: 6:39am On Nov 08, 2014
Smooyis:
No one can do this out personal volition except he is led by God. kudos to him
the ability to be humble,to be un-greedy,to be caring,to be loving is something that GOD has given to everyone but a lot of people are not just doing the right things they should do but instead they do what pleases them and not what pleases GOD........
Re: MEET The World’s 'poorest' President Who Lives On A Farm & Whose Official Car Is by Nobody: 6:44am On Nov 08, 2014
Dlionsheart:

But we still have a responsibility to make them less thievery grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
and they also have a responsibility to make us to have the responsibilty to make them less thievery Like you said...grin grin
Re: MEET The World’s 'poorest' President Who Lives On A Farm & Whose Official Car Is by Nobody: 7:25am On Nov 08, 2014
This part is the part tagt touched me most;

I’m called ‘the poorest president’, but I don’t feel poor. Poor people are those who only work to try to keep an expensive lifestyle, and always want more and more
This is a matter of freedom. If you don’t have many possessions then you don’t need to work all your life like a slave to sustain them, and therefore you have more time for yourself…”

God really created angels in human forms.

4 Likes

Re: MEET The World’s 'poorest' President Who Lives On A Farm & Whose Official Car Is by Orial(f): 7:29am On Nov 08, 2014
wakacome:
***puts stockings into her mouth*

Only stockings? Why not put d...?
Re: MEET The World’s 'poorest' President Who Lives On A Farm & Whose Official Car Is by omanifrank(m): 7:35am On Nov 08, 2014
90% to charity and that means 10% to God.. i see..
Re: MEET The World’s 'poorest' President Who Lives On A Farm & Whose Official Car Is by Nobody: 8:35am On Nov 08, 2014
wow...,

He is a role model.
Re: MEET The World’s 'poorest' President Who Lives On A Farm & Whose Official Car Is by Nobody: 8:43am On Nov 08, 2014
Orial:

Only stockings? Why not put d...?
grin grin when was the last time you made sense?....
Re: MEET The World’s 'poorest' President Who Lives On A Farm & Whose Official Car Is by Dlionsheart: 9:42am On Nov 08, 2014
wakacome:
[b]....even this man that is the poorest president in the world also had some people around him that puts so much pressure on him and are not happy with his life-style but he did not let their opinion or their pressure change him...so everyone should take responsibility for his/her actions and not try to blame it on someone else...and guess what? do you know that some nigerian leaders and even some leaders at all other countries do not even help people around them not to now talk of trying to please them....now let us be sincere with ourselves and ask once more,how many african president will do that even without financial pressure like you said?do you know that some of our past presidents did not even take care of a lot of people around them even when they were getting the wealth as a president so where is the pressure coming from?grin

a nigerian president that if possible wants to spend all his life-time to be the president of nigeria so that he can continue to embezzle our money will you say financial pressure made him to become greedy after stealing billions and billions of naira?acquiring private jets for himself and spending lavishly,trust me no one should have an excuse for stealing,greed and bad conscience.

though you made a very good point but whether they put financial pressure on someone or not a greedy man will always be a greedy man,..imagine a very young boy who has become greedy since when he was small even when he had no financial pressure on him and that same boy grew up to become proud,greedy and wants to very wealthy by force would you say financial pressure from people made him become that?[/b]

NICE ONE, MY FRIEND.
With this BRAVE AND CONSTRUCTIVE ARGUMENT, you deserve a very hot, sexy kiss from your girlfriend or wife tonight grin grin grin grin With your type, there's still hope for my nation - Nigeria.

GOD BLESS NIGERIA!!!....
Re: MEET The World’s 'poorest' President Who Lives On A Farm & Whose Official Car Is by LORDI(m): 10:11am On Nov 08, 2014
I know jonathan will end up like this man.
Re: MEET The World’s 'poorest' President Who Lives On A Farm & Whose Official Car Is by Akshow: 10:11am On Nov 08, 2014
"I’m called ‘the poorest president’, but I don’t
feel poor. Poor people are those who only
work to try to keep an expensive lifestyle,
and always want more and more"

this sums it up.
Re: MEET The World’s 'poorest' President Who Lives On A Farm & Whose Official Car Is by Nobody: 10:15am On Nov 08, 2014
Dlionsheart:

NICE ONE, MY FRIEND.
With this BRAVE AND CONSTRUCTIVE ARGUMENT, you deserve a very hot, sexy kiss from your girlfriend or wife tonight grin grin grin grin With your type, there's still hope for my nation - Nigeria.

GOD BLESS NIGERIA!!!....
grin grin grin I never get wife,na ur gf I wan marry...
Re: MEET The World’s 'poorest' President Who Lives On A Farm & Whose Official Car Is by Nobody: 10:18am On Nov 08, 2014
LORDI:
I know jonathan will end up like this man.
grin grin keep dreaming....
Re: MEET The World’s 'poorest' President Who Lives On A Farm & Whose Official Car Is by Dlionsheart: 10:35am On Nov 08, 2014
wakacome:
grin grin grin I never get wife,na ur gf I wan marry...

The number you're trying to call is not available, please try again later cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin
Re: MEET The World’s 'poorest' President Who Lives On A Farm & Whose Official Car Is by Nobody: 10:48am On Nov 08, 2014
Not in Nigeria. The moment you are rich, your relatives all down their tools and start depending on you. You will be wondering how the entire village get your private phone number. And their problems are always very pressing. President Mujica is a perfect example of a minimalist, we all should learn from him even though we cant be like him 100%

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ebube Nwagbo:how Journalists Ended My Hot Romance With Ogbonnaya Kanu? / Nairalanders Engage Each Other In Deadly Fight: PICS / Lyrics: Patoranking (make Am)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.