Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,189 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:49 AM

My First Interview Experience - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / My First Interview Experience (23365 Views)

My Interview Experience With A Banking Firm / My Job Interview Experience Today / Your NNPC Interview Experience (EH & GT) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

My First Interview Experience by Nobody: 10:03am On Nov 09, 2014
I had this experience last year and posed it on ma blog. fter reading and laffing over it today, thought i should share. Enjoy grin

I attended my first post graduate interview yesterday and it was ...phew! I purposely incorporated the word 'corporate' in the title because it was not actually my first interview. I've had other interviews for teaching, sales boy, 'Danfo' driving etc but this was the first major sensible one with prospects of a good pay. As usual, I would not pass on a good opportunity to learn something new cos for me, each encounter and event is an opportunity to learn and become better. Now I don't want to be selfish in this case cos I know most of us are job hunting. So i'll reveal my experience and the lessons learnt.

The interview was for a bank job (Name withheld for security reasons) and it was conducted at their headquarters in Victoria Island, lagos. Now if you are going for an interview in a corporate
firm, dress real properly - lesson no one. As suggested by the interviewers, use a white or blue shirt with a nice tie and if you have a jacket(suit), put it on. I actually went with an unironed ash shirt - 1st ghagaun for me.. I hoped it was overlooked 'sha'. Please also get a good leather shoe. I was so ashamed of my shoe that I had to keep hiding it under the table. I wonder why my wordrobe is so awkward!

The interview started on a lively and friendly note and although I was nervous, which I hear is normal, I was suprisied that I was still able to compose myself. Kudos to me (lol...). Another thing I learnt is that most times, those interview seminars we attend and tips we get.are actually a waste of time if you dont start inculcating them into your character before any interview, cos when the chips are down, those pretentious tips you learnt would fly away and your real character would show. Some interviewers actually know how to reveal the real you. I discovered that I started well, used some of the tips at the beginning like how to close the door, requesting for a seat, etc but as the interview got tensed, I started to say 'yea' sometimes instead of 'yes'. So my advice - if there are courtesies you need to practice in an interview, start practising them in front of your parents and friends now!.

Third lesson - dont lie or make spurious claims on your C.V. You might be asked to defend some of your claims. I was told (Since I claimed to be proficient in the use of microsoft word and excel) to describe how to draw a pie chart on a microsoft word document. Thank God I didn't mess up... I have notice that most people seem to feel that I am not a team player and the interviewer affirmed it although I tried to prove him wrong. I don't know where this idea is coming from. Maybe its from the way I talk. When he tried to prove that I am not a team player, he asked about the people I would not want to work with in a team and i told him I could not work with people who would not play their part in a team. He then said that it shows I'm not a team player. Abeg how do team players behave?

Another thing- have interesting hobbies. The interviewer seemed to be interested in the fact that I am a creative artist and he even opened, read my blog (I mean this one) and showed it to anyone who entered his office during the time of the interview. He was fascinated about it. There is one area I messed up very badly though and I'm still calculating the implication - I forgot about my project. I cant say if it was tension or the devil but I couldn't say more than a thing when asked to state three things about my project findings. Imagine! and if there is anything I have always been proud of, it is my project work. More painful was the fact that I started remembering them one by one after the interview while I was on my way home. If I had answered that question fluently, I believe I would have nailed the job!

Don't be too assertive. I was asked to define communication and stated that it was the exchange of information between two parties. One of the interviewers told me the word 'exchange was wrong and I argued back and forth with him until I remembered that I was actually being interviewed. I dont know why I have this stubborn 'I no go gree attitude'. God help me.

Lastly, how do you answer the question of 'where do you hope to be in the next five years?' I tried playing smart but 'them no gree'. I told them that I hoped to be contributing to organisational goals at a higher level. They told me to be specific and I replied that I hope to have gotten two promotions in five years time. What do you think of that answer? Also, what is the best reply to this question?

On a lighter note, It is advisable not to look too dashing. I guess I was cos they were all accusing me of having multiple girlfriends. One of them was so persistent about the girlfriend stuff. They were all joking though. I don't know if I looked like a guy that would have multiple girlfriends. If you know me very well, what do you think about that assertion?

39 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My First Interview Experience by Nobody: 12:34pm On Nov 09, 2014
You're very right about about the Interview preparation seminars.
Unless you're an experienced interviewee(which is a somewhat bad thing), you would probably loose all the lines you crammed.

4 Likes

Re: My First Interview Experience by Nobody: 4:00am On Nov 10, 2014
Yes oh poster this is awesome, that was how I wrote "profficient in microsoft office suites" and yet I trained myself on using MS office. Praise God when I was asked how good I was I stated the fact that I trained myself, thats how the indian man told me to do sums, division etc. on excel, hummm and the last tyme I used excel was 2-3yrs ago, I jst manipulated thank God for some inbuilt features oh. Immediately I got home I changed my Computer skills to Basic microsoft knowledge before I will be asked to draw bar chart on Excel in future-lol.

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My First Interview Experience by Nobody: 4:28am On Nov 10, 2014
Interviews has just five keys to landing them. They are the keys that I use.

1) Be audible
2) Be confident
3) Let all your responses be completely logical and most times be in relation to the position you are applying for.
4) Be very practical
5) Be very very positive.

Quote me or send me an email if you have personal questions or advice.

Let me help with some insights into getting jobs and writing a resume using my own experience.
If you know me, you will agree that I always want to help.

A. Recruitment Practices in Nigeria: www.nairamode.com/2014/05/general-recruitment-practice-what-you.html?m=1

B. Getting a job, how easy: www.businessngr..com.es/2014/06/getting-job-in-nigeria-how-easy.html?m=1

C. Writing a resume: www.businessngr..com.es/2014/06/how-to-write-winning-resume.html?m=1

Read them and drop your comments and also let me get feedbacks.

6 Likes

Re: My First Interview Experience by Nobody: 7:36am On Nov 10, 2014
OpYzo:
Yes oh poster this is awesome, that was how I wrote "profficient in microsoft office suites" and yet I trained myself on using MS office. Praise God when I was asked how good I was I stated the fact that I trained myself, thats how the indian man told me to do sums, division etc. on excel, hummm and the last tyme I used excel was 2-3yrs ago, I jst manipulated thank God for some inbuilt features oh. Immediately I got home I changed my Computer skills to Basic microsoft knowledge before I will be asked to draw bar chart on Excel in future-lol.

Lol... u should have improved ur skills instead of downgradig the CV.

33 Likes

Re: My First Interview Experience by CoCoLav(f): 9:39am On Nov 10, 2014
Nice one OP. You just gave me an assignment. Lol.
Re: My First Interview Experience by kolubo(m): 9:52am On Nov 10, 2014
Good job op
Re: My First Interview Experience by baba11(m): 10:36am On Nov 10, 2014
Nice one op...you learnt the hard way...
Re: My First Interview Experience by Nobody: 11:07am On Nov 10, 2014
Real.....I learnt something
Re: My First Interview Experience by ninovandross(m): 12:41pm On Nov 10, 2014
@op dis ur post is so on-point jare, really learnt smthing
Re: My First Interview Experience by soldierdollar(m): 2:42pm On Nov 10, 2014
Avictomama:
I had this experience last year and posed it on ma blog. fter reading and laffing over it today, thought i should share. Enjoy grin

I attended my first post graduate interview yesterday and it was ...phew! I purposely incorporated the word 'corporate' in the title because it was not actually my first interview. I've had other interviews for teaching, sales boy, 'Danfo' driving etc but this was the first major sensible one with prospects of a good pay. As usual, I would not pass on a good opportunity to learn something new cos for me, each encounter and event is an opportunity to learn and become better. Now I don't want to be selfish in this case cos I know most of us are job hunting. So i'll reveal my experience and the lessons learnt.

The interview was for a bank job (Name withheld for security reasons) and it was conducted at their headquarters in Victoria Island, lagos. Now if you are going for an interview in a corporate
firm, dress real properly - lesson no one. As suggested by the interviewers, use a white or blue shirt with a nice tie and if you have a jacket(suit), put it on. I actually went with an unironed ash shirt - 1st ghagaun for me.. I hoped it was overlooked 'sha'. Please also get a good leather shoe. I was so ashamed of my shoe that I had to keep hiding it under the table. I wonder why my wordrobe is so awkward!

The interview started on a lively and friendly note and although I was nervous, which I hear is normal, I was suprisied that I was still able to compose myself. Kudos to me (lol...). Another thing I learnt is that most times, those interview seminars we attend and tips we get.are actually a waste of time if you dont start inculcating them into your character before any interview, cos when the chips are down, those pretentious tips you learnt would fly away and your real character would show. Some interviewers actually know how to reveal the real you. I discovered that I started well, used some of the tips at the beginning like how to close the door, requesting for a seat, etc but as the interview got tensed, I started to say 'yea' sometimes instead of 'yes'. So my advice - if there are courtesies you need to practice in an interview, start practising them in front of your parents and friends now!.

Third lesson - dont lie or make spurious claims on your C.V. You might be asked to defend some of your claims. I was told (Since I claimed to be proficient in the use of microsoft word and excel) to describe how to draw a pie chart on a microsoft word document. Thank God I didn't mess up... I have notice that most people seem to feel that I am not a team player and the interviewer affirmed it although I tried to prove him wrong. I don't know where this idea is coming from. Maybe its from the way I talk. When he tried to prove that I am not a team player, he asked about the people I would not want to work with in a team and i told him I could not work with people who would not play their part in a team. He then said that it shows I'm not a team player. Abeg how do team players behave?

Sorry , they caught u off guard . A tea.m player should work with all kinds of people irrespective if their personal differences . ability of u to interact , work ,socialize with all kinds of people who might be meek , stubborn , lazy makes u a team player .
Did u deny having a girlfriend? If yes, it means you cannot mix with the female folk easily . such job demands fluency and ability to meet , talk and convince the female folks . your denial means you have non of these qualities . That was a trap question they normally ask .

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My First Interview Experience by intergral(m): 2:44pm On Nov 10, 2014
Ma go read am first
Re: My First Interview Experience by Nobody: 2:44pm On Nov 10, 2014
Very interesting and informative.
Re: My First Interview Experience by lonelydora: 2:44pm On Nov 10, 2014
Ok
Re: My First Interview Experience by mcmukoko12(m): 2:47pm On Nov 10, 2014
booked
Re: My First Interview Experience by VanTee20(m): 2:47pm On Nov 10, 2014
Interesting
Re: My First Interview Experience by Nobody: 2:47pm On Nov 10, 2014
Thank you op,another don't post a very bad picture online using your name

My bio lecture told me about a girl that applied to the department,said he is brilliant and intelligent...after she left her name was typed on Google,lead them to one of her social networking site,there was a picture where she raised her shirt and lower part of her bossom revealing ...she was denied the job she applied for

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: My First Interview Experience by plainmirror(m): 2:48pm On Nov 10, 2014
Reaching the end of a job interview, the
Human Resources Officer asks a young
engineer fresh out of the Massachusetts
Institute of Technology, "And what starting
salary are you looking for?" The engineer
replies, "In the region of $125,000 a year,
depending on the benefits package." The
interviewer replies, "Well, what would you
say to a package of five weeks vacation, 14
paid holidays, full medical and dental,
company matching retirement fund to
50% of salary, and a company car leased
every two years, say, a red Corvette?" The
engineer sits up straight and says, "Wow!
Are you kidding?" The interviewer replies,
"Yeah, but you started it."

43 Likes 8 Shares

Re: My First Interview Experience by Nobody: 2:52pm On Nov 10, 2014
stubborn no gree attitude, lmao

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My First Interview Experience by holyboss: 2:52pm On Nov 10, 2014
Noted @Op
Re: My First Interview Experience by missdebs(f): 2:54pm On Nov 10, 2014
holyboss:
bet y
Re: My First Interview Experience by pharuk: 2:55pm On Nov 10, 2014
Your first formal interview and you are suddenly an expert?

makes me wonder what seasonal folks who do about 4 interviews a week has to say
Re: My First Interview Experience by kccarew(f): 2:56pm On Nov 10, 2014
Reading this is making me laugh myself out where I Am, but I feel you, you did well though, I wish the interviewer could read and see how much you are willing to learn and change From Your sturbon ways. Because to learn you must first identify your flaws and ask how To solve them which I see in You, and Also u Have the Spirit of team work, now not cos u Can't work with ur so called people that won't play their, but because u would argue with or should I say talk to them in getting it done, because u can fit talk..lol, I believe u will be called back, by the way what did u study, and how did u Draw up the graph?
Avictomama:

Another thing- have interesting hobbies. The interviewer seemed to be interested in the fact that I am a creative artist and he even opened, read my blog (I mean this one) and showed it to anyone who entered his office during the time of the interview. He was fascinated about it. There is one area I messed up very badly though and I'm still calculating the implication - I forgot about my project. I cant say if it was tension or the devil but I couldn't say more than a thing when asked to state three things about my project findings. Imagine! and if there is anything I have always been proud of, it is my project work. More painful was the fact that I started remembering them one by one after the interview while I was on my way home. If I had answered that question fluently, I believe I would have nailed the job!

Don't be too assertive. I was asked to define communication and stated that it was the exchange of information between two parties. One of the interviewers told me the word 'exchange was wrong and I argued back and forth with him until I remembered that I was actually being interviewed. I dont know why I have this stubborn 'I no go gree attitude'. God help me.

Lastly, how do you answer the question of 'where do you hope to be in the next five years?' I tried playing smart but 'them no gree'. I told them that I hoped to be contributing to organisational goals at a higher level. They told me to be specific and I replied that I hope to have gotten two promotions in five years time. What do you think of that answer? Also, what is the best reply to this question?

On a lighter note, It is advisable not to look too dashing. I guess I was cos they were all accusing me of having multiple girlfriends. One of them was so persistent about the girlfriend stuff. They were all joking though. I don't know if I looked like a guy that would have multiple girlfriends. If you know me very well, what do you think about that assertion?

3 Likes

Re: My First Interview Experience by Ezedon(m): 3:00pm On Nov 10, 2014
Thats what is called eXPERIENce
Re: My First Interview Experience by HonourablePomk: 3:00pm On Nov 10, 2014
Oh

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Thanks Nairaland : I Finally Got A Job / Jobs Are Now Sold In FG Agencies Between 8million And 10million / Vacancies At Workforce Management Centre (WFMC) - 2nd Nov, 2015

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.