Stats: 3,152,901 members, 7,817,670 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:52 PM

Why Are Ibo People So Connected To Their Village? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Are Ibo People So Connected To Their Village? (1583 Views)

Igbos In Spain Attend Their Village Meeting In Native Attires (Photo) / Why Are Ibo Girls More Fair And Prettier Than Other Tribe's Girls In Nigeria? / Ibo People In American Rap Music Industry (2) (3) (4)

Why Are Ibo People So Connected To Their Village? by Nobody: 5:34am On Nov 10, 2014
To be perfectly candid....

I'm an edo guy and...

I hate villages. I also don't fancy the people living in them. Call me a snob, but that's just the way it is.
Till today I have never set foot in mine and I have no plans to. Ever. I consider it a den of fetishists and traditionists.
Furthermore, I despise excess tradition because I feel it blocks the mind from gaining new insights.
But of all the Ibo people I know, it seems ALL of them are so tightly coupled to their villages.

I was discussing with an ibo female friend (darz all) the other day and the conversation somehow entered marriage and culture.
Apparently she was of the opinion that she absolutely MUST have an "ingba ukwu" (sounded like this. Not sure of spelling) because every ibo family likes to be "the host" of some type of major event or festivity IN THEIR VILLAGE and it really can't happen anywhere where else.

Which got me thinking, is every Ibo person, no matter how janded, really that into their village?
Re: Why Are Ibo People So Connected To Their Village? by fingard02k(m): 5:40am On Nov 10, 2014
Your Root is Your Root. Their is an Igbo proverb that says "Aku luo ulo amalu onye kpata ya" meaning It is when the riches/wealths reach Home (village) that we know the owner

Re: Why Are Ibo People So Connected To Their Village? by kilokeys(m): 6:09am On Nov 10, 2014
its a beautiful gesture to visit ur roots when ur leaves r evergreen and ur flowers are in blossom.

if u never make am.. no reach villa o.. dem go laff u..

if u r a professor sef.. and u r broke.. when u go back to d village.. they would make u Secretary to collect dues..

dem no send u..
long and short.. hustle well, do not forget ur roots when u hammer.

those aunties and uncles u call witches and wizard.. would laff at u from thier graves when u retire back home and ur nephews and nieces calls u the same.

Re: Why Are Ibo People So Connected To Their Village? by vincencior(m): 6:41am On Nov 10, 2014
Bros learn to respect UR root no matter wat. For now u may not knw d importance becos u seemed to be brainwashed with ur so called exposure to civilization. Every city u see today was once a village.

Re: Why Are Ibo People So Connected To Their Village? by MrTeymee(m): 9:21am On Nov 10, 2014
Very true observation. Dey like village die. Ndigbo kwenu!!
Re: Why Are Ibo People So Connected To Their Village? by Nobody: 7:57pm On Nov 10, 2014
Lol, I love my village too. It's so peaceful and thats where you can have the best of sleep and feel of nature.
I miss my grandmother's goat sha.

Re: Why Are Ibo People So Connected To Their Village? by mizmeme(f): 8:56pm On Nov 10, 2014
I luv ma village and noting can mak me stop
We ibo gals even de guys luv our root

Re: Why Are Ibo People So Connected To Their Village? by Nobody: 9:29pm On Nov 10, 2014
kilokeys:
its a beautiful gesture to visit ur roots when ur leaves r evergreen and ur flowers are in blossom.

if u never make am.. no reach villa o.. dem go laff u..

if u r a professor sef.. and u r broke.. when u go back to d village.. they would make u Secretary to collect dues..

dem no send u..
long and short.. hustle well, do not forget ur roots when u hammer.

those aunties and uncles u call witches and wizard.. would laff at u from thier graves when u retire back home and ur nephews and nieces calls u the same.

Depends on where "home" is for you innit?

If I retire back to naija, it would be to a nice city so I can at least still b playing my PS10 and virtual reality sims in some sort of modern setting!
Re: Why Are Ibo People So Connected To Their Village? by Nobody: 11:45pm On Nov 10, 2014
fingard02k:
Your Root is Your Root. Their is an Igbo proverb that says "Aku luo ulo amalu onye kpata ya" meaning It is when the riches/wealths reach Home (village) that we know the owner
Re: Why Are Ibo People So Connected To Their Village? by christopher123(m): 10:08am On Nov 17, 2014
if we are not connected to our roots do you want us to be connected to your root or become rootless

this why i love been igbo
Re: Why Are Ibo People So Connected To Their Village? by cheruv: 12:00pm On Nov 17, 2014
OP its very essential you find your roots kos just like a plant,anybody without roots can't grow.
Igbos as a nation are tied to the land that's why no matter where they go,they come at certain/specific periods to pay homage to the land.
and moreover from your post it seems you're eyeing the babe for nuptial things.. so better pay attention to omenala and odinaala things wink

Re: Why Are Ibo People So Connected To Their Village? by MrsAwesome: 1:56pm On Nov 17, 2014
Currently herbinating in my villa after an exam before moving back to the hustling and bustling of the city ..... I am enjoying the serenity. Most of these supposed witches and wizards are the relatikns we wronged either consciously or otherwise or people wrongly portrayed by nollywood who we thought are after us .....but then...with a clean hands and prayerful life ...why the heck will I run away from my kiths and kins.

Re: Why Are Ibo People So Connected To Their Village? by BlackPikiN(m): 3:16pm On Nov 17, 2014
OP, I was like you but mehn I appreciate my village die ehhhnn. There's no place like your hometown. An igbo man's village can be a town but he still prefers to call it a village.
Re: Why Are Ibo People So Connected To Their Village? by soonest(f): 9:43am On Nov 18, 2014
Op, how you feel about villages is an average Edo man's feeling. You guys have been taught to believe that the village represents everything fetish,wicked and backward. It is not so. Well, to answer your question, we igbos cherish our origin. We feel home is home and that you are only but a foreigner wherever you find yourself. As for me,i love the serenity and the fresh air you get in the village. Less i forget, Op, have you tried Xmas in an igbo village? It's just the bomb.
Re: Why Are Ibo People So Connected To Their Village? by Nobody: 10:43am On Nov 22, 2014
Anyway sha, Igbos are doing well, remembering their roots all the time grin
Re: Why Are Ibo People So Connected To Their Village? by shineeye: 12:42pm On Nov 22, 2014
OP

do u forget that most igbo villages are like cities in most places in nigeria?forget the term village just that igbos are well connected with their land even if their village is like city they call it my village
Re: Why Are Ibo People So Connected To Their Village? by Nobody: 9:23pm On Nov 22, 2014
Igbos like their village because that is where everything started.

Note: my village is a city per ser but I call it village.

Village ebe umuazi kpatara aku/ego na-ama aka.

Top Best Drawing Sketch Portrait Painting Artist In Nigeria / Egungun Festival In Ita-ogbolu, Akure Ondo State / Save Omoku River Before It Is Too Late