Stats: 3,194,576 members, 7,955,124 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 05:34 PM

Can it get any worse? 1L/Mile - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Can it get any worse? 1L/Mile (1783 Views)

Which Is Worse? No License Or Expired License / Mile 2 To Apapa Road Getting Mad Daily! / Five Ways To Make A 100,000 Mile Car Feel New Again (2) (3) (4)

Can it get any worse? 1L/Mile by BluStreak(m): 11:01am On Nov 11, 2014
My car has gone berserk. Gulping a whopping 1 litre of fuel for every mile done. N3000 fuel from akowonjo to apapa and back. The reserve light came on just before I hit agege motor road through computer village.

Check engine light is flashing but car runs smooth. I know all modern cars share a lot in common in terms of working principles. Its a V6 07 accord ex. Someone please give me a pointer. I am yet to do a scan but I need to have a heads up before stepping out on the repairs.
Re: Can it get any worse? 1L/Mile by Nobody: 11:50am On Nov 11, 2014
A scan 1st before any thing.

A lot of factors can make a car drop its MPG.

Is your car having its Check Engine light on?

Re: Can it get any worse? 1L/Mile by Kashif(m): 12:01pm On Nov 11, 2014
lomomike:
A scan 1st before any thing.

A lot of factors can make a car drop its MPG.

Is your car having its Check Engine light on?

He said the check engine light is flashing, which is more sinister than having it on.

OP, have the car scanned at once.

Re: Can it get any worse? 1L/Mile by Nobody: 12:43pm On Nov 11, 2014
Kashif:

He said the check engine light is flashing, which is more sinister than having it on.

OP, have the car scanned at once.

If the engine light is flashing, its a very serious issue.
Re: Can it get any worse? 1L/Mile by billy187(m): 2:07pm On Nov 11, 2014
A check engine engine light on your car is kinda like your car saying " hey bro, hope you dey? Errrmmm....i get small problem for my bonnet under. please fix am...thanks!!!"

But then a flashing check engine light is more like "AAAOOO!! WAT PAIN BE DIS!!! I WAN DIE SEF...THERE IS GODOOO!! AAOOO!! "

so yea....i'd scan my ride if i were you.

However do you smell petrol in the car?

Re: Can it get any worse? 1L/Mile by lonelydora: 2:14pm On Nov 11, 2014
Run a scan first and tell us the code. But it may not be unconnected to your catalyst banks.
Re: Can it get any worse? 1L/Mile by BluStreak(m): 2:44pm On Nov 11, 2014
My people, I have been on the internet since I got to work researching on the issue. The findings are scary. When MIL starts to flash, it a scream that something BIG and BAD is about to happen. Many atime, it will take a hit on the CAT. So I gotta take a quick dash to get it checked out. My findings more often points to misfire which I admit the car is experiencing when I wanna push her hard. But if I just allow her gain speed gradually there will be no misfire.

Possible culprits from my research:
1. Coil Pack
2. Plug Wire
3. O2 sensor
4. Knock Sensor

I pray its the least of the evils when I eventually get to scan her.

Thanks all for your inputs so far. I wont mind the hot-heads adding their voice. But will any of these cause the car to gulp 1 litre of fuel per mile?
Re: Can it get any worse? 1L/Mile by Nobody: 2:53pm On Nov 11, 2014
guy...enough talk.scan ur car
Re: Can it get any worse? 1L/Mile by Kashif(m): 4:26pm On Nov 11, 2014
lonelydora:
Run a scan first and tell us the code. But it may not be unconnected to your catalyst banks.

Incorrect.
Re: Can it get any worse? 1L/Mile by chillex8(m): 6:41pm On Nov 11, 2014
lomomike:

If the engine light is flashing, its a very serious issue.

Not a serious issue if cel is flashing..

You think so?
You're so wrong bro!
If the light is steady. The problem is not an emergency, but you should schedule an
appointment as soon as possible.
A blinking light usually indicates a severe engine
misfire allowing unburned fuel to be dumped into the exhaust system. There it can quickly raise the temperature of the catalytic converter to a point where damage is likely, requiring an expensive repair. If this occurs, you should reduce power and have the vehicle checked as soon as possible.

Source:motorist.org/articles/check-engine-light

Read more here:
www.centralaveauto.com/dont-ignore-blinking-service-light/
Re: Can it get any worse? 1L/Mile by chillex8(m): 6:48pm On Nov 11, 2014
billy187:
A check engine engine light on your car is kinda like your car saying " hey bro, hope you dey? Errrmmm....i get small problem for my bonnet under. please fix am...thanks!!!"

But then a flashing check engine light is more like "AAAOOO!! WAT PAIN BE DIS!!! I WAN DIE SEF...THERE IS GODOOO!! AAOOO!! "

so yea....i'd scan my ride if i were you.

However do you smell petrol in the car?

A flashing cel does not mean "I wan die ooo"
Re: Can it get any worse? 1L/Mile by chillex8(m): 6:53pm On Nov 11, 2014
@ OP, you need a scan.

Blinking cel can mean a whole lot, just like a static cel light..

There is obviously a problem.

But blinking cel does not denote the extent..

Re: Can it get any worse? 1L/Mile by lonelydora: 9:13pm On Nov 11, 2014
Kashif:

Incorrect.
That was why I used "may"
Re: Can it get any worse? 1L/Mile by billy187(m): 9:47pm On Nov 11, 2014
chillex8:

A flashing cel does not mean "I wan die ooo"

Hehehehe, of course not. The other day, I had a patient with so much pain in the eye that the poor guy was calling on death to take him away. It turned out to be a tiny particle lodged in his cornea....in the same way there might be a potentially subtle problem in the car that can mess things up and possibly lead to much worse ones if not rectified
Re: Can it get any worse? 1L/Mile by ogawisdom(m): 8:07am On Nov 12, 2014
A blinkin CEL indicates a more serious issue than a steady one. My cel has been on for d past three months and three of d best mechanics I met in my area said I shldnt worry dt is normal with older cars n it won't affect my car in anyway. One said its caused by bad fuel imagine, I kw they are all wrong n am surprised non can handle this problem.

I ve done my diagnosis using internet n I kw d problem is my oxygen sensor. I am making arrangement to buy toks oxygen sensor as I can't find d new one in alaoji market aba.

My car takes 22l on 100km city drivin, dts crazy for 1.6l 4A FE engine auto carina e angry

I kw ppl who doesn't kw wat CEL means and has been driving their car for over 2yrs with CEL on with no problem although they must b buyin more fuel sha

Op ur car is dying bc it takes roughly 62.5L for 100km Dts a bad record wink
Do sth asap even if u ve fillin station where u refill freely
Re: Can it get any worse? 1L/Mile by nissparts(m): 12:17pm On Nov 12, 2014
A blinking CEL means you have multiple cylinder misfires and unburnt fuel is going into your catalytic converter and clogging it.
Yes, it is also a more serious problem than a static CEL.

When you eventually scan it, you will find codes starting with P03.. in addition to P0300 and other codes which may come up if you have driven it too long in that state
Re: Can it get any worse? 1L/Mile by BluStreak(m): 3:51pm On Nov 12, 2014
Just like Nisspart said and my research findings also indicated, I have a misfire issues on cylinder 2 and 6 based on the scan result which shows P0302 & P0306.

I want to start with changing my spark plugs. I hope it resolves the problem since the spark plugs are the lesser evil compared to plug wires. My car uses the NGK Laser Iridium plugs. And I want to insist on the specific model it came with; NGK IZFR6K-11

Going by that, Nisspart and other fellas that deal genuine parts and accessories, how can I get a set of 6 and your price pls?. I have checked some shops in my hood and they don't have em. One shop has the G-Power version but I want to go with the recommended one to avoid "Had I known".
Re: Can it get any worse? 1L/Mile by nissparts(m): 4:38pm On Nov 12, 2014
You are going about it wrong.
Luckily, since you have issues with cylinder 2 and 6, you can easily identify if it is the coil.
The cylinders are

1 3 5
2 4 6

switch ignition coils 4 and 6, if the code changes, dont waste your money buying plugs and just replace the coils.
If it is the coils, I advice you change all 6.
Re: Can it get any worse? 1L/Mile by DECOtech(m): 11:41am On Nov 13, 2014
chillex8:
@ OP, you need a scan.

Re: Can it get any worse? 1L/Mile by DECOtech(m): 11:42am On Nov 13, 2014
chillex8:
@ OP, you need a scan.

See this my friend. You have forgotten me oh! Abi you wan do me like Gazzuzz did? I lost my phone. Pls give me a call. I now have that thing we were both looking for.
Re: Can it get any worse? 1L/Mile by GAZZUZZ(m): 1:51pm On Nov 13, 2014
DECOtech:
See this my friend. You have forgotten me oh! Abi you wan do me like Gazzuzz did? I lost my phone. Pls give me a call. I now have that thing we were both looking for.

What did gazzuzz do?
BluStreak:
My car has gone berserk. Gulping a whopping 1 litre of fuel for every mile done. N3000 fuel from akowonjo to apapa and back. The reserve light came on just before I hit agege motor road through computer village.
Check engine light is flashing but car runs smooth. I know all modern cars share a lot in common in terms of working principles. Its a V6 07 accord ex. Someone please give me a pointer. I am yet to do a scan but I need to have a heads up before stepping out on the repairs.

I liter per mile? Forget spark plugs.......

Scan scan scan.
Re: Can it get any worse? 1L/Mile by DECOtech(m): 1:37pm On Nov 15, 2014
GAZZUZZ:

What did gazzuzz do?
He kicked me off his bbm list without telling me how I offended him oh.
Re: Can it get any worse? 1L/Mile by GAZZUZZ(m): 2:00pm On Nov 15, 2014
DECOtech:
He kicked me off his bbm list without telling me how I offended him oh.

Gazzuzz is a bad man......... Must be the bc's no vex.
Re: Can it get any worse? 1L/Mile by DECOtech(m): 3:02pm On Nov 15, 2014
GAZZUZZ:

Gazzuzz is a bad man......... Must be the bc's no vex.
Hahahaha! ...now I understand. No wahala sha. I have reformed my bc lists to target certain groups of people. But you should have just told me about it.
Thumbs up bro.

Auto Challenge: Can You Fill In The Blank Spaces? / Thread For Chrysler 300C And SRT8 Owners / All New 2018 Acura RLX Is The Luxury Sedan You’ve Been Waiting For (photos)