Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,833 members, 7,810,207 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:49 PM

See How Africa Is Portrayed On Linkedin - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / See How Africa Is Portrayed On Linkedin (2358 Views)

Three Mistakes You're Probably Making On Linkedin / Got A Job Through Linkedin??? / How To Use LinkedIn Groups To Get A Job (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

See How Africa Is Portrayed On Linkedin by Appswheel(m): 7:03pm On Nov 14, 2014
www.linkedin.com is a network of professionals. A visit to the registration page shows a "subtle photo bias" against Africa & Africans. It is sad that Africa is always projected in bad light by the whites even on a platform like linkedln. See how we are represented in the circled picture below. I think we should protest this on www.change.org and ensure the photo is removed/changed.

Re: See How Africa Is Portrayed On Linkedin by Extom(m): 7:26pm On Nov 14, 2014
Bros, you nor get case oo. undecided

2 Likes

Re: See How Africa Is Portrayed On Linkedin by Appswheel(m): 7:30pm On Nov 14, 2014
Extom:
its not my case. its an observation i find appaling.
Re: See How Africa Is Portrayed On Linkedin by Superstar007(m): 7:51pm On Nov 14, 2014
Send them your pics na make them use

4 Likes

Re: See How Africa Is Portrayed On Linkedin by nickz(m): 7:58pm On Nov 14, 2014
threads like this is the major reason whhy aliens don't talk with humans

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: See How Africa Is Portrayed On Linkedin by Appswheel(m): 8:02pm On Nov 14, 2014
Superstar007:
Send them your pics na make them use
nice idea. i own clean pairs of suits that represent African professionals better.
Re: See How Africa Is Portrayed On Linkedin by eph12(m): 8:10pm On Nov 14, 2014
But its true
Re: See How Africa Is Portrayed On Linkedin by Nobody: 10:36am On Nov 15, 2014
Linkedin will not come and take your profile picture for you. It is not their fault if the others were conscious of their backgrounds and dressing while the African was not. Or did you expect Linkedin to photoshop his profile pix for him?

In any case, sometimes having a rural background in your profile pix could be of advantage... like working as a volunteer for UNHCR for example.
Re: See How Africa Is Portrayed On Linkedin by Appswheel(m): 10:51am On Nov 15, 2014
Abuamam:
Linkedin will not come and take your profile picture for you. It is not their fault if the others were conscious of their backgrounds and dressing while the African was not. Or did you expect Linkedin to photoshop his profile pix for him?

In any case, sometimes having a rural background in your profile pix could be of advantage... like working as a volunteer for UNHCR for example.
you seem nt to get d import of my post.the photo above is by linkedin n d circled man not properly dressed is used to depict Africans.
Re: See How Africa Is Portrayed On Linkedin by Nobody: 8:07pm On Nov 15, 2014
OP, I understand your concern and will make just one recommendation. Don't argue with your voice, make your case known with your work.

Cheers.

4 Likes

Re: See How Africa Is Portrayed On Linkedin by Nobody: 10:52pm On Nov 15, 2014
Appswheel:

you seem nt to get d import of my post.the photo above is by linkedin n d circled man not properly dressed is used to depict Africans.

oh now I understand. sorry.
Anyhow, they must have picked his pix off their site, so he is still partially to blame, though they could have picked someone else.
I don't think that there is anything much anyone can do about this.

Africa will only progress when it has its own internet, and the other countries rush to register on it, giving us the power to depict them as we like.

1 Like

Re: See How Africa Is Portrayed On Linkedin by emeka94(m): 12:24am On Nov 16, 2014
I think the Op is right. This is not a random selection of picture but a clear case of stereotyping Africans and Africa.
I bet you, that picture background was carefully and intentionally used to further the perceived association of Africans with poverty and backwardness.

2 Likes

Re: See How Africa Is Portrayed On Linkedin by Appswheel(m): 4:59am On Nov 16, 2014
emeka94:
I think the Op is right. This is not a random selection of picture but a clear case of stereotyping Africans and Africa.
I bet you, that picture background was carefully and intentionally used to further the perceived association of Africans with poverty and backwardness.
emekus u understand my concern perfectly.
Re: See How Africa Is Portrayed On Linkedin by emeka94(m): 6:04am On Nov 16, 2014
Appswheel:

emekus u understand my concern perfectly.

Bro I do. Can't understand why they think of Africa like that?
Re: See How Africa Is Portrayed On Linkedin by Sagamite(m): 10:04pm On Nov 16, 2014
Appswheel:
www.linkedin.com is a network of professionals. A visit to the registration page shows a "subtle photo bias" against Africa & Africans. It is sad that Africa is always projected in bad light by the whites even on a platform like linkedln. See how we are represented in the circled picture below. I think we should protest this on www.change.org and ensure the photo is removed/changed.

Explain to me what makes you so sure that the picture is a representation of Africa or Africans.

How far are you sure that is not representing some Black Brit from Brixton?

Or a Black American from New Orleans?

Or a Black Swede in Stockholm?

Or a Black Brazilian?

Or even a Black Saudi?

Why did you take offense to it that it represents Africa and Africans?

2 Likes

Re: See How Africa Is Portrayed On Linkedin by Appswheel(m): 10:19pm On Nov 16, 2014
Sagamite:

Explain to me what makes you so sure that the picture is a representation of Africa or Africans.

Or a Black Brazilian?

Or even a Black Saudi?

if you are true to yourself it is obvious. all race represented in d pics

2 Likes

Re: See How Africa Is Portrayed On Linkedin by Sagamite(m): 10:25pm On Nov 16, 2014
Appswheel:

if you are true to yourself it is obvious. all race represented in d pics

You have not answered my questions.

What made you think the picture you circled was representing Africa and Africans?

What made you sure it was not representing the others I gave as example?

1 Like

Re: See How Africa Is Portrayed On Linkedin by Sagamite(m): 10:54pm On Nov 16, 2014
AppsWheel, the fear of the questions kept you quiet?

2 Likes

Re: See How Africa Is Portrayed On Linkedin by Sagamite(m): 12:32am On Nov 17, 2014
emeka94:

Emeka, abi you wan explain?

You seem to agree with him.

So can you tell us why think that picture represents Africans and Africa, and is "used to further the perceived association of Africans with poverty and backwardness"?

1 Like

Re: See How Africa Is Portrayed On Linkedin by emeka94(m): 3:34pm On Nov 18, 2014
Sagamite:

Emeka, abi you wan explain?

You seem to agree with him.

So can you tell us why think that picture represents Africans and Africa, and is "used to further the perceived association of Africans with poverty and backwardness"?

Yes I agree with the OP a hundred times over. It was on this same nairaland that I once read a post where the poster said that whenever BBC ( I can't remember which network now, but let's say BBC) shows Africa they always use houses found in the villages and never modern cities -as if there are no modern buildings or cities in Africa.

Its a stereotype that is ingrained in the minds of westerns that Africans are backward and still live in the village. Do I need to refer you to Chimamanda Adiche's Tedx talk (where she spoke about the danger of a single story and her white roommate's suprise at her collection of mariah Carey music )? Or what a professor told her about the characters in her book 'the purple herbiscus? Or the use of African children in advertisement to portray poverty, kwashiokor, effects of war and malaria

If you were a western which will be more believable: an african city filled with sky scrappers or an african city filled with mud houses and mal-nourished children?
I've come to believe that nothing is random, thus that picture used in linkedin isn't just random. It is meant to send a message and continue to perpetuate the believes, in the heart of millions around the world, that Africa is a dark continent and Africans are backward.

Please forgive the error in grammar I wrote it on a moving bus with the conductor shouting over my ear.

1 Like

Re: See How Africa Is Portrayed On Linkedin by emeka94(m): 3:41pm On Nov 18, 2014
Sagamite:

Or a Black Brazilian?

Or even a Black Saudi?

You know very well that the pic is of a black in Africa not pluto or mars. Please call a spade a spade and not something that looks like a shovel.

1 Like

Re: See How Africa Is Portrayed On Linkedin by kakashi12(m): 5:55pm On Nov 18, 2014
Extom:
i totally agree...you no get case..i see two africans in the picture

1 Like

Re: See How Africa Is Portrayed On Linkedin by Nobody: 6:12pm On Nov 18, 2014
kakashi12:
i totally agree...you no get case..i see two africans in the picture
why is it that one is not properly dressed and also having a different background as compared to others.
Re: See How Africa Is Portrayed On Linkedin by Sagamite(m): 4:33pm On Nov 19, 2014
emeka94:

Yes I agree with the OP a hundred times over. It was on this same nairaland that I once read a post where the poster said that whenever BBC ( I can't remember which network now, but let's say BBC) shows Africa they always use houses found in the villages and never modern cities -as if there are no modern buildings or cities in Africa.

Its a stereotype that is ingrained in the minds of westerns that Africans are backward and still live in the village. Do I need to refer you to Chimamanda Adiche's Tedx talk (where she spoke about the danger of a single story and her white roommate's suprise at her collection of mariah Carey music )? Or what a professor told her about the characters in her book 'the purple herbiscus? Or the use of African children in advertisement to portray poverty, kwashiokor, effects of war and malaria

If you were a western which will be more believable: an african city filled with sky scrappers or an african city filled with mud houses and mal-nourished children?
I've come to believe that nothing is random, thus that picture used in linkedin isn't just random. It is meant to send a message and continue to perpetuate the believes, in the heart of millions around the world, that Africa is a dark continent and Africans are backward.

Please forgive the error in grammar I wrote it on a moving bus with the conductor shouting over my ear.

emeka94:

You know very well that the pic is of a black in Africa not pluto or mars. Please call a spade a spade and not something that looks like a shovel.

My friend, how does all these answer my question.

I asked you why you think that the picture is a representation of Africa or Africans.

Or a Black Brazilian?

Or even a Black Saudi?

1 Like

Re: See How Africa Is Portrayed On Linkedin by emeka94(m): 10:27am On Nov 20, 2014
Sagamite:

My friend, how does all these answer my question.

I asked you why you think that the picture is a representation of Africa or Africans.

Or a Black Brazilian?

Or even a Black Saudi?

I am not your friend, so don't call me your friend in whatever context or even quote me again. See the picture in whatever way you want, I really don't care. And am not responsible for what you understand, despite my long epistle. Even if you like call all the cities in this world where there are a large number of blacks, the truth, which you and I knows, remains that the black in the picture is from Africa -if not for anything check out the environment which is a subtle nudge in the direction that he is from Africa.
And if you cannot correlate the continued association of africa with poverty from what I wrote, and from other things happening around, then am sorry to say that you need to wake up from a self induced denial.
Besides how do you know that the black is from all this cities you are calling?
Please don't quote me again.

2 Likes

Re: See How Africa Is Portrayed On Linkedin by Sagamite(m): 10:45pm On Nov 21, 2014
emeka94:

I am not your friend, so don't call me your friend in whatever context or even quote me again. See the picture in whatever way you want, I really don't care. And am not responsible for what you understand, despite my long epistle. Even if you like call all the cities in this world where there are a large number of blacks, the truth, which you and I knows, remains that the black in the picture is from Africa -if not for anything check out the environment which is a subtle nudge in the direction that he is from Africa.
And if you cannot correlate the continued association of africa with poverty from what I wrote, and from other things happening around, then am sorry to say that you need to wake up from a self induced denial.
Besides how do you know that the black is from all this cities you are calling?
Please don't quote me again.

Ahhhh! Chukwuemeka, I no be your paddy?

Chukwuchuwku, you no be my paddy? grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Maa Nigga, so where did you see me say the black was from any of the other countries? grin grin grin grin grin grin

I only asked you, my brother grin, why you think the black in the pix is not from any of the other countries.

Now, to toy with my brother, not friend, so:

No 1, there is another black person on that picture board, how come you lot did not see that one as an "African" or someone representing Africa? Why did you see only the black man as the one? grin grin grin grin

No 2, you saw a black person in an environment and you immediately saw him as African and representing Africa, why? grin grin grin grin grin

Because you know that is how the real average African looks? grin grin grin grin grin

So why the FCK are you complaining when you know the truth?

You were hoping they would lie to cover your shame, my brother?

Get over it, niggas! That is reality! If you don't like it, then you Africans should change it by being more advanced. grin grin grin grin grin grin

THAT IS A YOUR AVERAGE AFRICAN ENVIRONMENT!

THAT IS AN APT REPRESENTATION OF AN AFRICAN!

No one even said it, you recognised it. Stop whining!

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: See How Africa Is Portrayed On Linkedin by emeka94(m): 5:24pm On Nov 24, 2014
Sagamite:

Ahhhh! Chukwuemeka, I no be your paddy?

Chukwuchuwku, you no be my paddy? grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Maa Nigga, so where did you see me say the black was from any of the other countries? grin grin grin grin grin grin

I only asked you, my brother grin, why you think the black in the pix is not from any of the other countries.

Now, to toy with my brother, not friend, so:

No 1, there is another black person on that picture board, how come you lot did not see that one as an "African" or someone representing Africa? Why did you see only the black man as the one? grin grin grin grin

No 2, you saw a black person in an environment and you immediately saw him as African and representing Africa, why? grin grin grin grin grin

Because you know that is how the real average African looks? grin grin grin grin grin

So why the FCK are you complaining when you know the truth?

You were hoping they would lie to cover your shame, my brother?

Get over it, niggas! That is reality! If you don't like it, then you Africans should change it by being more advanced. grin grin grin grin grin grin

THAT IS A YOUR AVERAGE AFRICAN ENVIRONMENT!

THAT IS AN APT REPRESENTATION OF AN AFRICAN!

No one even said it, you recognised it. Stop whining!

grin grin

(1) (Reply)

Amcon Recruitment / Hilarious Way Of Gift Presentation By Buhari To The Tallest Man In NDA. / Most Marketable Vocational Skills In Today's Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.