Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,743 members, 7,817,051 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:10 AM

An Unsolicited Guide To Writing Your 6 Month SIWES Report - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / An Unsolicited Guide To Writing Your 6 Month SIWES Report (30969 Views)

A Thread For Prospective Industrial Training (SIWES) Students. / University Of Ibadan Student Dies In Auto Crash On Her Way To Writing A Test. / Nestle SIWES/IT (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

An Unsolicited Guide To Writing Your 6 Month SIWES Report by bodeoni: 9:48am On Nov 15, 2014
I wrote this a while back for some friends who didn't know how to go about writing their SIWES report. Feeling good today, so I decided to share. Enjoy and share liberally

AN UNSOLICITED GUIDE TO WRITING YOUR 6 MONTH SIWES REPORT
BY
ONILE-ERE OLABODE

DISCLAIMER/FOREWORD
Please note that this is NOT an official format for writing your SIWES report. Before using this guide, please check with your departmental office to ascertain the availability (or unavailability) of a departmental format for writing your report. Also be informed that the words contained herein are only suggestions on how to do your report as I am no aficionado in report writing. I encourage you to check online sources (and any other source), ask questions from your departmental staff and discuss with friends in a bid to ensure you have a good report.
Let me reiterate that this material should only be used as a guide and nothing more. If you find this material useful please share liberally.
There is a small chance there might be some errors herein as I did not proof read this write up, bear with me and let me know if there are any.
For any feedback or comments, you can reach me on mrbodeoni@gmail.com.

REPORT WRITING GUIDE
Most students won’t start writing their report until it is about one week to the deadline for submission. This is actually a formula for writing a poor report. I urge you to start NOW as writing is like painting a master piece, it needs time and concentration.
Basically, the SIWES report has two (2) parts:
1.) The Preamble- which is basically everything else beside the main body (your 5 chapters) of your report.
2.) The main text
These two parts are equally important as your report cannot be ‘on point’ without both parts.

THE PREAMBLE
Like I said earlier, it’s everything else beside the main text. It’s what comes before the main text. Even though it comes before, it’s the part you write last. It usually consists of:

1. Front Page- this is the first thing anybody sees when looking at your report so it should carry basic info about your SIWES training. It should contain a title, the company or organization’s name, the duration of your Industrial Training (IT), your name, matriculation number, the department to which you are submitting the report and the month of submission. Please find a sample front page in appendix section.
2. Acknowledgement- here you thank everyone ‘thank able’ e.g. people from work, your parents, lecturers etc.
3. List of tables and Figures- here you list all tables and figures, their titles and the page in which they fall in ascending order. Don’t combine both tables and figures in the same list.
4. Table of contents
5. Summary- this is also known as an abstract; it is a summary of points usually presented in a skeletal form; also something that summarizes or concentrates the essentials of a larger thing or several things (Merriam Webster dictionary 2012 mobile version). It should be concise yet just enough to give the reader an overview of your 6 month industrial training. It should not be too long probably about 200 words and one paragraph long. It should have an introductory part followed by a brief description of your activities during the IT period and then a conclusion. You can only write a summary after you have finished the main text. Please check online for how to write an abstract or a summary.
Note: Please confirm if a summary is necessary from your departmental office

THE MAIN TEXT
This is the part of the report where you write all you can. Here are a few guidelines for writing this section
Choose your words wisely, they must connect and your report must be logical and coherent. Failure to do this would seriously obscure whatever you are trying to pass across to your examiner.
Use simple words as much as possible except for scientific terminologies
Remember this is a somewhat formal and scientific report, so adhere to all rules guiding scientific writing such as writing generic names in italics, using and putting SI units where necessary, correct spelling of scientific terminologies and names.
In order to give your work an aesthetic look, I recommend that you do not combine tables or figures (especially figures) with text on the same page except when you have no other option. I would advise that you put figures on a separate page with not more than two on a page. All tables and figures should be properly titled. Always refer to tables and figures in your text.
Use double line spacing and justify your text; that way it’s easier to read and (takes up more space). I am using 1.15 line spacing.
Avoid short paragraphs of 2-5 lines. Combine short paragraphs in a logical way. Too many breaks in your writing makes it tiresome to read.
I know you will probably be eager to just fill your report with protocols and operating procedures from your IT (even the ones you never had anything to do with). It is important to note that it’s a report and its essential to always highlight the roles you played during the IT
Your introductory and closing paragraphs are very important, so pay special attention to them
The most difficult aspect of writing is the ‘starting’, most people don’t know how to start. I recommend that before you start, you make a list of everything you would like to talk about in your report and in what order you would want them to appear. Divide everything you want to talk about into segments or heading or subheads usually not more than 3 headings, one for each chapter in your main text. Also ascertain how much information you have on each of the things you have listed, if there is anyone you don’t have so much info about, I recommend you strike it off your list (truth being that you really can’t write everything u did for 6 months). By so doing, you would be creating an outline to guide your writing.
Also do your first draft in a notebook and not by typing directly into the computer from your head. That way when you start to type it, you would be doing your first proof reading as you are typing and would make corrections along the way. Eventually when you are done typing, it would be easier to proof read the report as there won’t be too many corrections to make.

Here is a suggested outline:
Chapter 1- Introduction
Chapter 2- (you decide)
Chapter 3- (you decide)
Chapter 4- (you decide)
Chapter 5- Challenges, Conclusion and Recommendations

Chapter 1- Introduction
For most people, the beginning of any text is the most crucial, it sort of determines whether they would just skim or actually read the entire text. Even though your supervisors are obliged to read the whole text so as to grade you it is essential to make sure they enjoy reading your work (need I say more?). Please pay serious attention to your introduction.
Since this is a report, you should go straight to the point start like this
A brief description of the company i.e. its date of establishment, what it does, its location, number of employees etc
Describe its organizational structure, add organogram
List its departments indicating the unit(s) under which you functioned
Chapter 2-4
This is the technical part of your report, where you will detail all activities of your IT. Please use tables and figures liberally in this part as they save you a great deal of writing and also help make your report bulky (*wink*). Remember, your discuss should be logical and coherent, don’t just copy and paste protocols or SOPs but rather express yourself (writing is an art), it must flow.
I would recommend you start each chapter with a small intro on the unit you want to elucidate explaining its functions and sub units (if available), then move to the activities or sub units that make up that unit explaining them one after the other, highlighting your role in each activity (generally, you write form the general to the particular), and adding tables and diagrams to beautify your text.
You could use numbers to show hierarchy in your writing e.g. for someone who wants to write a chapter on the pathology section of xyz laboratories, he would have the following (assuming its chapter 2)
Pathology
2.1 Microbiology section
2.1.1 Microscopy
2.1.2 Culture
2.2 Haematology
2.3 Chemistry
2.4 Serology
He/she would write extensively on each of the subunits details each activity as a sub topic under the sub unit (all these numbering should reflect in the table of contents)

Chapter 5- Challenges, Conclusion and Recommendation
Here you state your challenges during the duration of your IT, then you make a conclusion and recommend. (You could join both conclusion and recommendations in one long paragraph if you don’t have much to write)
Please note that your concluding paragraph(s) is very important, a poor conclusion could mess up a good report and a good one could make a poor report look a bit better. (Need I say more?)
References- this may not be compulsory but it gives the impression that you know what you are doing. You should state all sources of external material such as protocols diagram e.t.c.
You could check with your departmental office for the official format for referencing, if there is none, you could just use which ever appeals to you (Google referencing styles).

That’s all I have for now, remember to use the internet liberally for more info. Make sure you check your work for errors, read it over and over again. Use the Microsoft spellchecker if you must. I wish you the very best. God bless.
Remember to share this material if you think it will help anyone and I welcome any feedback.

6 Likes

Re: An Unsolicited Guide To Writing Your 6 Month SIWES Report by Kelechi2020(m): 5:41pm On Jan 07, 2015
Thanks brother... This is what I need just when I want it
Re: An Unsolicited Guide To Writing Your 6 Month SIWES Report by Nastydroid(m): 7:03pm On Jan 07, 2015
nice
Re: An Unsolicited Guide To Writing Your 6 Month SIWES Report by Idacrux: 7:05pm On Jan 07, 2015
thanks man..it will be halpful to me.
Re: An Unsolicited Guide To Writing Your 6 Month SIWES Report by Odunukwe30: 11:29pm On Jan 12, 2015
SIWES IT Report is indispensable if you have to come out of the university with a good result. don't miss out
click here
http://uniprojectsearch.com/siwes-industri…raining-report/
Re: An Unsolicited Guide To Writing Your 6 Month SIWES Report by FunnyDude(m): 5:03pm On Oct 28, 2015
Hello sir, like how many pages an average Siwes report writing is like?
Re: An Unsolicited Guide To Writing Your 6 Month SIWES Report by bodeoni: 9:26pm On Oct 30, 2015
FunnyDude:
Hello sir, like how many pages an average Siwes report writing is like?

You should check with your department to see what others have done in the past.
The Specifications in my school then was 25pages, double line spacing

1 Like

Re: An Unsolicited Guide To Writing Your 6 Month SIWES Report by Damsman10(m): 9:58pm On Oct 13, 2016
cool

(1) (Reply)

JAMB Orders Candidates To Upload Their O'Level Results Again / Photos: Nigerian Girl Bags First Class From A UK University / Why Do Some States Have The Same Name As Their Capitals?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.