Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,190 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 04:02 AM

What Does The Future Hold For Metallurgy And Materials Engineering Students??? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / What Does The Future Hold For Metallurgy And Materials Engineering Students??? (22256 Views)

What's Does The Future Hold For Metallurgy Engineers In Nigeria? / Computer Science Vs Metallurgy Engineering / What Does The Future Hold For Young Aspiring Architects In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Does The Future Hold For Metallurgy And Materials Engineering Students??? by FolabiCash: 10:38am On Nov 15, 2014
Days ago , I got admitted into FUTA to study Metallurgy and materials engineering , leapt for Joy that I'm finna leaving house , then It came down on Me it was MME I saw and not Mechanical engineering (MEE) , wouldn't have been bothered but I also have a cousin in the same school studying Metallurgy and materials and he almost sweat blood before he could see only IT placement. Now to talk of steel industries in Nigeria , they're complete Write off! Guys please , I need yur advices or maybe I'm just a novice , PLEASE WHERE CAN A METALLURGY and MATERIALS ENGINEERING STUDENTS WORK IN THIS NIGERIA OF FAILED STEEL AND METALS INDUSTRIES??

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Does The Future Hold For Metallurgy And Materials Engineering Students??? by teemanbastos(m): 10:49am On Nov 15, 2014
who has the final say in your life sir?
God or Man??

1 Like

Re: What Does The Future Hold For Metallurgy And Materials Engineering Students??? by FolabiCash: 10:57am On Nov 15, 2014
teemanbastos:
God or Man??
Let's be realistic bruh
Re: What Does The Future Hold For Metallurgy And Materials Engineering Students??? by FolabiCash: 10:58am On Nov 15, 2014
teemanbastos:
God or Man??
Re: What Does The Future Hold For Metallurgy And Materials Engineering Students??? by teemanbastos(m): 11:01am On Nov 15, 2014
FolabiCash:

Let's be realistic bruh
m seriuz bro... Even d mechanical engrinq u tokn about sf, aw many av bin qivn mployment?
Re: What Does The Future Hold For Metallurgy And Materials Engineering Students??? by teemanbastos(m): 11:02am On Nov 15, 2014
FolabiCash:

Let's be realistic bruh
m seriuz bro... Even d mechanical engrinq u tokn about sf, aw many av bin qivn mployment?
Re: What Does The Future Hold For Metallurgy And Materials Engineering Students??? by romme2u: 11:11am On Nov 15, 2014
met/mat is a lucrative course as it is not applicable only in the steel industries but across all manufacturing and production companies including oil companies(by now u are jumping for joy cheesy cheesy). infact with FG local content policy, most infrastructures and structures in the oil and gas subsector are partly or wholly designed and fabricated in Nigeria. with a growing manufacturing base and more factory setups, the services of met/mat engineers will soon surpass that of mechanical engineers. i can't give more details again, just know that the prospect is high. moreover you don't have to limit yourself to the Nigerian environment because if you know what you are doing (ask one of ur professors or academic adviser for the career prospect in that area), you may become a global player. One of my professors who taught us material science when i was in school used to go to the US as if he is going to their village. i think we had only one lecture with that man instead of 5-7 because of his frequent traveling.

Remember you have to graduate with good grades and be good upstairs to compete for plum job openings (a well rounded student, not just to pass ur exams). this is ur preparation and suffering time for the glory ahead.

wishing you luck with your studies.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Does The Future Hold For Metallurgy And Materials Engineering Students??? by FolabiCash: 11:22am On Nov 15, 2014
romme2u:
met/mat is a lucrative course as it is not applicable only in the steel industries but across all manufacturing and production companies including oil companies(by now u are jumping for joy cheesy cheesy). infact with FG local content policy, most infrastructures and structures in the oil and gas subsector are partly or wholly designed and fabricated in Nigeria. with a growing manufacturing base and more factory setups, the services of met/mat engineers will soon surpass that of mechanical engineers. i can't give more details again, just know that the prospect is high. moreover you don't have to limit yourself to the Nigerian environment because if you know what you are doing (ask one of ur professors or academic adviser for the career prospect in that area), you may become a global player. One of my professors who taught us material science when i was in school used to go to the US as if he is going to their village. i think we had only one lecture with that man instead of 5-7 because of his frequent traveling.

Remember you have to graduate with good grades and be good upstairs to compete for plum job openings (a well rounded student, not just to pass ur exams). this is ur preparation and suffering time for the glory ahead.

wishing you luck with your studies.

Lmao.Azzin no be small jumping Oh. wow. Nice one bruh. Thanks Much
Re: What Does The Future Hold For Metallurgy And Materials Engineering Students??? by FolabiCash: 11:23am On Nov 15, 2014
teemanbastos:

True bruh. Only God oh!!!

2 Likes

Re: What Does The Future Hold For Metallurgy And Materials Engineering Students??? by immaculatebb(m): 3:34pm On Mar 20, 2015
Seriously I have the same issue, I was just thinking of Abandoning the course.
Re: What Does The Future Hold For Metallurgy And Materials Engineering Students??? by cizy: 4:49am On Mar 25, 2015
cc francizy
Re: What Does The Future Hold For Metallurgy And Materials Engineering Students??? by francizy(m): 10:14am On Mar 25, 2015
We should have now recognized the fact that success in Nigeria doesn't depend on what one studied but the level of connections one has/have. That been said, OP in a developed economy, Met and Mat is the best Engineering profession because Engineers in other fields won't function properly without Met and Mat Engineers (or Materials Engineers).

Met and Mat Engineers ensures that Engineering materials are produced, they ensure produced materials conforms to standards, they also ensure materials do not fail in service. The major classification in Met and Mat Engineering is in two categories namely. Metallurgical Engineering and Materials Engineering.

Metallurgical Engineering deals with metals. It can be classified into Physical Metallurgy, Process (Chemical) Metallurgy and Mechanical Metallurgy. Physical metallurgy bridges the gap between Mechanical and Process Metallurgy.

The courses under physical Metallurgy includes Welding, Crystallography, Corrosion analysis, Phase transformation, phase diagrams (iron-carbon diagram), Foundry, Metallurgical Analysis and Nondestructive Testing, Furnace Technology, Materials Selection, etc.

Courses under Process (Chemical) Metallurgy includes Corrosion Engineering, Iron and steel making, Metallurgical Thermodynamics, Mineral Processing, Non-Ferrous Extractive Metallurgy, Process Design, etc.

Courses under Mechanical Metallurgy includes: Introduction to Mechanical Metallurgy, Mechanical working of metals, Powder Metallurgy, Fundamentals of Materials Testing, etc. It's under this Mech Metallurgy you will best Mechanical Engineers in the utilization of the stress-strain curve for failure analysis and you will further be taught topics on Stress, Strain, Fatigue, Creep failures, etc

Materials Engineering deals with other materials such as polymeric materials (thermoplastics, thermosets and rubbers), Ceramic Materials, Composites, Wood Materials and Biomaterials (for medical applications such as implants).

The bolded are the ones you should try and acquire much practical knowledge in while in school. Try in any way possible to gather much knowledge so that even when you graduate and you don't get job, you can easily set up your own business.

Mind you, concentrate more on welding, nondestructive testing and corrosion analysis if you are looking to get a job easily and/or ply a trade in your field. Welding is the most needed skills in fabrication industries and some oil and gas applications involving construction/production of pressure vessels, pipe joining, etc.

Here is a list of industries that require the services of Metallurgical and Materials Engineers. Iron/Steel industries, Materials testing labs, Powder metallurgy firms, Aluminium industries, polymer production firms, automobile industries, aviation industries, maritime firms that repair/maintain and construct ships and boats, ceramic factories, oil and gas industries, etc. Also, take note that the Military, Airforce and Navy greatly require the services of Metallurgical Engineers due to the fact that they work with many heavy metal equipment.

With all I've said, I want you not to get discouraged but focus on acquiring more practical skills rather than theories because when you possess more practical skills as a metallurgical engineer, you are more sellable than any other engineer. If you have a friend that owns a welding shop, buy your own welding gears and buy electrodes and make sure you learn enough skills in welding because with your skills and qualification you are hot cake. Don't mind people laughing at you in the beginning for they will envy you at the end.

Cc @FolabiCash @immaculatebb

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Does The Future Hold For Metallurgy And Materials Engineering Students??? by EngrBouss(m): 8:11am On Mar 27, 2015
francizy:
We should have now recognized the fact that success in Nigeria doesn't depend on what one studied but the level of connections one has/have. That been said, OP in a developed economy, Met and Mat is the best Engineering profession because Engineers in other fields won't function properly without Met and Mat Engineers (or Materials Engineers).

Met and Mat Engineers ensures that Engineering materials are produced, they ensure produced materials conforms to standards, they also ensure materials do not fail in service. The major classification in Met and Mat Engineering is in two categories namely. Metallurgical Engineering and Materials Engineering.

Metallurgical Engineering deals with metals. It can be classified into Physical Metallurgy, Process (Chemical) Metallurgy and Mechanical Metallurgy. Physical metallurgy bridges the gap between Mechanical and Process Metallurgy.

The courses under physical Metallurgy includes Welding, Crystallography, Corrosion analysis, Phase transformation, phase diagrams (iron-carbon diagram), Foundry, Metallurgical Analysis and Nondestructive Testing, Furnace Technology, Materials Selection, etc.

Courses under Process (Chemical) Metallurgy includes Corrosion Engineering, Iron and steel making, Metallurgical Thermodynamics, Mineral Processing, Non-Ferrous Extractive Metallurgy, Process Design, etc.

Courses under Mechanical Metallurgy includes: Introduction to Mechanical Metallurgy, Mechanical working of metals, Powder Metallurgy, Fundamentals of Materials Testing, etc. It's under this Mech Metallurgy you will best Mechanical Engineers in the utilization of the stress-strain curve for failure analysis and you will further be taught topics on Stress, Strain, Fatigue, Creep failures, etc

Materials Engineering deals with other materials such as polymeric materials (thermoplastics, thermosets and rubbers), Ceramic Materials, Composites, Wood Materials and Biomaterials (for medical applications such as implants).

The bolded are the ones you should try and acquire much practical knowledge in while in school. Try in any way possible to gather much knowledge so that even when you graduate and you don't get job, you can easily set up your own business.

Mind you, concentrate more on welding, nondestructive testing and corrosion analysis if you are looking to get a job easily and/or ply a trade in your field. Welding is the most needed skills in fabrication industries and some oil and gas applications involving construction/production of pressure vessels, pipe joining, etc.

Here is a list of industries that require the services of Metallurgical and Materials Engineers. Iron/Steel industries, Materials testing labs, Powder metallurgy firms, Aluminium industries, polymer production firms, automobile industries, aviation industries, maritime firms that repair/maintain and construct ships and boats, ceramic factories, oil and gas industries, etc. Also, take note that the Military, Airforce and Navy greatly require the services of Metallurgical Engineers due to the fact that they work with many heavy metal equipment.

With all I've said, I want you not to get discouraged but focus on acquiring more practical skills rather than theories because when you possess more practical skills as a metallurgical engineer, you are more sellable than any other engineer. If you have a friend that owns a welding shop, buy your own welding gears and buy electrodes and make sure you learn enough skills in welding because with your skills and qualification you are hot cake. Don't mind people laughing at you in the beginning for they will envy you at the end.

I concur to what you wrote. I am a Materials and Metallurgical Engineering graduate and it did take me up to two months to get a job after graduation regardless of the fact that we are sorted out for but quite scarce to find that was my strong point. Make sure to you have internship experience it sure helped me. Cheers

4 Likes

Re: What Does The Future Hold For Metallurgy And Materials Engineering Students??? by Nobody: 8:01pm On Mar 27, 2015
I think the oil and gas industry is one place you can thrive,especially under the offshore engineering purview...

You can be relevant to solve problems of material selection for offshore structures such as pipelines and other steel or metal structures...also proffering solutions to corrosion issues is one that is needed by the industry....

I must say, that your career choice isnt a wrong one..just do you best,graduate with an employable grade and you sure would florish in the job world...
Re: What Does The Future Hold For Metallurgy And Materials Engineering Students??? by PrinceMario(m): 6:15am On Mar 28, 2015
It is a great course, they are very much needed in the oil and gas company and any other manufacturing company. please try and finish strong.
Re: What Does The Future Hold For Metallurgy And Materials Engineering Students??? by Nobody: 1:20am On Mar 29, 2015
You guys forgot to tell him that the course is very difficult too. Make sure you study very hard.
Re: What Does The Future Hold For Metallurgy And Materials Engineering Students??? by boldan: 11:04am On Aug 14, 2015
E ma puro fun ara yin, Met and Mat more important than Mech Engr. I am hearing that for the first time. Anyway OP not to discourage you, it is not by the course of study but by the grace of God. However, when it comes to Engineering, there are only four of them(Civil,Chemical,Electrical,Mechanical).All other engineering courses are offshoot of these. The Met and Mat you are talking about is an offshoot of mechanical, chemical). All engineering courses are good if you know why you are studying it.

1 Like

Re: What Does The Future Hold For Metallurgy And Materials Engineering Students??? by Brison5: 9:38am On Feb 07, 2016
EngrBouss:

I concur to what you wrote. I am a Materials and Metallurgical Engineering graduate and it did take me up to two months to get a job after graduation regardless of the fact that we are sorted out for but quite scarce to find that was my strong point. Make sure to you have internship experience it sure helped me. Cheers
Which did do ur mme course?
Re: What Does The Future Hold For Metallurgy And Materials Engineering Students??? by Brison5: 9:39am On Feb 07, 2016
Brison5:

Which school didu do ur mme course?
Re: What Does The Future Hold For Metallurgy And Materials Engineering Students??? by Mekzmoney(m): 8:15pm On Feb 09, 2016
Bro God bless u 4 dis.... I studied met/mats 4rm polytechnic, hav been home 4 2yrs nw without job. All I need to do is to look 4 a welding shop, pay them and acquire d practical knowledge, then use a welding coy in my CV dat I've wrkd 4 2yrs.......just dat I dnt knw hw long it wud take me to learn d welding cos I dnt hav much tym 4myself..... Its either to meet a road side welder or learn AutoCAD design for designing and protecting pipelines 4rm corrosion. Thanks again 4 dis advice.
francizy:

Re: What Does The Future Hold For Metallurgy And Materials Engineering Students??? by Mekzmoney(m): 8:36pm On Feb 09, 2016
I did my internship in oil n gas, under corrosion control bt no job yet.. Its just d grace of God bro.
EngrBouss:

Re: What Does The Future Hold For Metallurgy And Materials Engineering Students??? by Japhola(m): 4:45pm On Mar 08, 2017
Hi, I have a certificate of Aluminium Fabrication from the vocation school Fashola started can I go for MME?
Re: What Does The Future Hold For Metallurgy And Materials Engineering Students??? by Ahmadlad: 10:31am On Jan 02, 2019
Please i have just gotten admitted can anyone help with materials of metallurgical and materials engineering? Please

1 Like

Re: What Does The Future Hold For Metallurgy And Materials Engineering Students??? by Isobug: 6:20pm On Jan 30, 2019
Ahmadlad:
Please i have just gotten admitted can anyone help with materials of metallurgical and materials engineering? Please

Very nice course bro. Graduated from fed. Poly Idah in kogi state, got a job within 3 months of asking, though later quit the job for some important reasons of mine.
Right now I aimed at going abroad to broaden myself in either Corrosion Engineering or Pipeline engineering,God willing.

Please do not be discouraged
Re: What Does The Future Hold For Metallurgy And Materials Engineering Students??? by basga: 9:24am On Aug 07, 2019
View list of mettallurgy companies in Nigeria.
Click here www.businessguide.com.ng
Re: What Does The Future Hold For Metallurgy And Materials Engineering Students??? by yusman14(m): 6:17pm On Jan 27, 2020
EngrBouss:

Hello bro
Re: What Does The Future Hold For Metallurgy And Materials Engineering Students??? by yusman14(m): 6:21pm On Jan 27, 2020
You guys forgot to tell him that the course is very difficult too. Make sure you study very hard.
Good day bro
Re: What Does The Future Hold For Metallurgy And Materials Engineering Students??? by yusman14(m): 6:24pm On Jan 27, 2020
Hope everything is now ok?
Re: What Does The Future Hold For Metallurgy And Materials Engineering Students??? by olayinkarotex(m): 8:54pm On Jan 27, 2020
Good day, I am a graduate of the aforementioned University and department. I learnt welding and fabrication before I gained admission- that was the push to study the course as welding is an option in the Noble department of MME.
The department encompasses foundry,composites and new materials, nanotechnology, material selection, failure of materials and so on which is the bedrock of engineering.
Think of anything production it involves material.
You would see the likes of Dr seidu, Prof Alaneme, Prof Borode, Prof Oyetunji, Dr Alabi and a host of great lectures. Wish you best of Grace
Re: What Does The Future Hold For Metallurgy And Materials Engineering Students??? by yusman14(m): 8:58pm On Jan 27, 2020
Ahmadlad:
Hy
Re: What Does The Future Hold For Metallurgy And Materials Engineering Students??? by yusman14(m): 8:59pm On Jan 27, 2020
Mekzmoney:
I did my internship in oil n gas, under corrosion control bt no job yet.. Its just d grace of God bro.
Good day sir
Re: What Does The Future Hold For Metallurgy And Materials Engineering Students??? by yusman14(m): 9:01pm On Jan 27, 2020
olayinkarotex:
Good day, I am a graduate of the aforementioned University and department. I learnt welding and fabrication before I gained admission- that was the push to study the course as welding is an option in the Noble department of MME.
The department encompasses foundry,composites and new materials, nanotechnology, material selection, failure of materials and so on which is the bedrock of engineering.
Think of anything production it involves material.
You would see the likes of Dr seidu, Prof Alaneme, Prof Borode, Prof Oyetunji, Dr Alabi and a host of great lectures. Wish you best of Grace

Good day sir...can I have your WhatsApp digit?

(1) (2) (Reply)

5 Biggest Mistakes You’re Making In Work Relationships / See The Officer Who Broke 20 Year Old Record At Armed Forces Command College / The #nairalife Of A POS Agent Forced To Plot New Business Moves

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.