Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,823 members, 7,820,891 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:49 AM

Which Of Our Language Would You Prefer As Our Lingua Franca? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Which Of Our Language Would You Prefer As Our Lingua Franca? (3202 Views)

What Language Is Nigeria's Lingua-Franca? / Our Language Is Going Dead- A Case Study Of The Ogu (egun) Language Of Badagry / Is Guosa Nigeria’s Long-awaited Indigenous Lingua Franca? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which Of Our Language Would You Prefer As Our Lingua Franca? by ubongutioh(m): 7:30pm On Nov 15, 2014
With the spate Nigerians are murdering English Language especially our first l... and other politicians, I ponder if we made mistake in choosing English as our lingua franca.
So, which of our native languages would you prefer as our lingua franca?
Hausa? Yoruba? Igbo? Efik/Ibibio?
With reasons...
I would prefer Efik/Ibibio because its easy to learn.
Re: Which Of Our Language Would You Prefer As Our Lingua Franca? by abila122: 7:31pm On Nov 15, 2014
kanuri
Re: Which Of Our Language Would You Prefer As Our Lingua Franca? by ubongutioh(m): 7:34pm On Nov 15, 2014
abila122:
kanuri
why?
Re: Which Of Our Language Would You Prefer As Our Lingua Franca? by onuwaje(m): 7:37pm On Nov 15, 2014
Pidgin english

Cos everybody understands it.. even the white men

2 Likes

Re: Which Of Our Language Would You Prefer As Our Lingua Franca? by MARKone(m): 7:38pm On Nov 15, 2014
Igbo
Re: Which Of Our Language Would You Prefer As Our Lingua Franca? by Nobody: 7:49pm On Nov 15, 2014
you would only succeed in creating ethnic division. Threads should be well thought out before you rush to click the "creat button". MODs do the needful.... By the way@ op, i am from Akwa Ibom just like you so dont take it personal.

1 Like

Re: Which Of Our Language Would You Prefer As Our Lingua Franca? by aljharem(m): 7:53pm On Nov 15, 2014
It should be Yoruba because it is the language that has all the necessary ingredients to have a complete language
Re: Which Of Our Language Would You Prefer As Our Lingua Franca? by aljharem(m): 7:54pm On Nov 15, 2014
MARKone:
Igbo

I think you are high !!!
Re: Which Of Our Language Would You Prefer As Our Lingua Franca? by mcfarlin(m): 7:56pm On Nov 15, 2014
aljharem:

I think you are high !!!

Yes he is high

On skunk_weed!
Re: Which Of Our Language Would You Prefer As Our Lingua Franca? by ubongutioh(m): 8:05pm On Nov 15, 2014
olrotimi:
you would only succeed in creating ethnic division. Threads should be well thought out before you rush to click the "creat button". MODs do the needful.... By the way@ op, i am from Akwa Ibom just like you so dont take it personal.
Brother, I disagree with you. English as lingua franca has not done us any good vis a vis unity. It was forced on us by the British.
If we choose one of our native dialect, it will unite us and also promote our culture.
This thread isn't meant to encourage ethnic disunity but to promote our dialect.
Re: Which Of Our Language Would You Prefer As Our Lingua Franca? by acenazt: 8:07pm On Nov 15, 2014
Naija Substandard English AKA Pidgin English. every one understands it fro Aboki to Obinna,from Olu to Ebele, from kazahshim to Effiong,from Osakpolor to Ojonugwa.

1 Like

Re: Which Of Our Language Would You Prefer As Our Lingua Franca? by lanxlot(m): 8:10pm On Nov 15, 2014
english isn't our lingua franca, it was Only borrowed. na pigin we supox de take write exam, if not 4 dox oyinbos. undecided
Re: Which Of Our Language Would You Prefer As Our Lingua Franca? by Nobody: 8:23pm On Nov 15, 2014
Yet Americans acknowledge our English accent.

mehn check yourself u might be the only victim or may be ur clan undecided
Re: Which Of Our Language Would You Prefer As Our Lingua Franca? by MARKone(m): 8:41pm On Nov 15, 2014
aljharem:

I think you are high !!!

Yeah...

High on my believe that Igbo language, should be our preferred lingua franca.

Deal with it cheesy
Re: Which Of Our Language Would You Prefer As Our Lingua Franca? by Nobody: 8:47pm On Nov 15, 2014
I would have opted for hausa, but damn I can't help myself..., 'igbo language' anytime-anyday.

1 Like

Re: Which Of Our Language Would You Prefer As Our Lingua Franca? by Africaman: 9:28pm On Nov 15, 2014
ubongutioh:
With the spate Nigerians are murdering English Language especially our first l... and other politicians, I ponder if we made mistake in choosing English as our lingua franca.
So, which of our native languages would you prefer as our lingua franca?
Hausa? Yoruba? Igbo? Efik/Ibibio?
With reasons...
I would prefer Efik/Ibibio because its easy to learn.
There was a certain Edo man who carried out an experiment to create a new language, based on all of Nigeria's languages, and some from other West African countries. That new language is called Guosa.

Check out the link for more info: http://www.dawodu.net/guosa1.htm

Here is another link to a thread on nairaland about Guosa: https://www.nairaland.com/48070/guosa-nigerias-long-awaited-indigenous-lingua

1 Like

Re: Which Of Our Language Would You Prefer As Our Lingua Franca? by Wulfruna(f): 10:40pm On Nov 15, 2014
aljharem:

I think you are high !!!

The OP suggested his language (Efik/Ibibio). Someone with a Northern-sounding name suggested a Northern language (Kanuri). You suggested your language (Yoruba). Someone else suggested his language (Igbo).

But you made a beeline for the Igbo man's comment. Are you always like that? undecided

4 Likes

Re: Which Of Our Language Would You Prefer As Our Lingua Franca? by CAMNEWTON4PRES: 10:49pm On Nov 15, 2014
onuwaje:
Pidgin english

Cos everybody understands it.. even the white men
are u serious? what kind of low self esteem is tha? so with all your rich languages the only thing you could come up with is a bastard dialect? smh

Igbo they are evrywhere in nigeria where they form big community, so the language can easily spread throughout the country + it is very catchy

Hausa: large speaking community by both hausa and non hausa, however the language is only spoken in the north however with the recent cultural awakening of minorities in the north non hausa are rejecting it ..but it still holds strong there are also chances that the rest of the country sees it as a northernization of the country or hausa-fulani supremacy

1 Like

Re: Which Of Our Language Would You Prefer As Our Lingua Franca? by onuwaje(m): 10:54pm On Nov 15, 2014
CAMNEWTON4PRES:
are u serious? what kind of low self esteem is tha? so with all your rich languages the only thing you could come up with is a bastard dialect? smh

Igbo they are evrywhere in nigeria where they form big community, so the language can easily spread throughout the country + it is very catchy

Hausa: large speaking community by both hausa and non hausa, however the language is only spoken in the north however with the recent cultural awakening of minorities in the north non hausa are rejecting it ..but it still holds strong there are also chances that the rest of the country sees it as a northernization of the country or hausa-fulani supremacy

you call language 'bastard' n yet you feel urs isn't bastard?

1 Like

Re: Which Of Our Language Would You Prefer As Our Lingua Franca? by CAMNEWTON4PRES: 10:58pm On Nov 15, 2014
onuwaje:
you call language 'bastard' n yet you feel urs isn't bastard?
pidigin is not a language, it is a dialect at best and yes it is a bastard dialect
Re: Which Of Our Language Would You Prefer As Our Lingua Franca? by onuwaje(m): 11:19pm On Nov 15, 2014
CAMNEWTON4PRES:
pidigin is not a language, it is a dialect at best and yes it is a bastard dialect
Wats d difference between a dialect and a language?
Re: Which Of Our Language Would You Prefer As Our Lingua Franca? by ubongutioh(m): 6:50am On Nov 16, 2014
onuwaje:
Wats d difference between a dialect and a language?
Dialect is the one you are speaking, language is the written one.. shuuuu, jamb question.
Re: Which Of Our Language Would You Prefer As Our Lingua Franca? by onuwaje(m): 8:02am On Nov 16, 2014
ubongutioh:

Dialect is the one you are speaking, language is the written one.. shuuuu, jamb question.
so u mean 'shuu' is a dialect u just wrote??
Re: Which Of Our Language Would You Prefer As Our Lingua Franca? by ubongutioh(m): 10:50am On Nov 16, 2014
onuwaje:
so u mean 'shuu' is a dialect u just wrote??
lol
Re: Which Of Our Language Would You Prefer As Our Lingua Franca? by aljharem(m): 3:50pm On Nov 16, 2014
Wulfruna:

The OP suggested his language (Efik/Ibibio). Someone with a Northern-sounding name suggested a Northern language (Kanuri). You suggested your language (Yoruba). Someone else suggested his language (Igbo).

But you made a beeline for the Igbo man's comment. Are you always like that? undecided

Was just pulling his leg. Haba, I am not that bad
Re: Which Of Our Language Would You Prefer As Our Lingua Franca? by Paretomaster(m): 4:57pm On Nov 16, 2014
Admit it and shame d devil, what other language order than arguably d second most spoken language in Africa, easy to understand, sexy, widely use by BBC, VOA,German, Dutch, Russia media in Radio transmission.

Give it up to HAUSA joor.
Re: Which Of Our Language Would You Prefer As Our Lingua Franca? by Nobody: 9:02pm On Nov 17, 2014
aljharem:
It should be Yoruba because it is the language that has all the necessary ingredients to have a complete language
Ingredients like iru and alubosa?
Re: Which Of Our Language Would You Prefer As Our Lingua Franca? by Nobody: 9:15pm On Nov 17, 2014
Paretomaster:
Admit it and shame d devil, what other language order than arguably d second most spoken language in Africa, easy to understand, sexy, widely use by BBC, VOA,German, Dutch, Russia media in Radio transmission.

Give it up to HAUSA joor.
Sexy?
What's sexy about the hausa accent?
'
Re: Which Of Our Language Would You Prefer As Our Lingua Franca? by aljharem(m): 10:03pm On Nov 17, 2014
Zeemoor:

Ingredients like iru and alubosa?

O get e! cheesy cheesy
Re: Which Of Our Language Would You Prefer As Our Lingua Franca? by 1shortblackboy: 12:41am On Nov 18, 2014
ubongutioh:

chisos !! shocked shocked shocked
Re: Which Of Our Language Would You Prefer As Our Lingua Franca? by alnaijiri(m): 2:13am On Nov 18, 2014
Hausa written in Ajami.
Re: Which Of Our Language Would You Prefer As Our Lingua Franca? by Paretomaster(m): 8:11am On Nov 18, 2014
Zeemoor:

Sexy?
What's sexy about the hausa accent?
'

Ah! Iyawo mi longest time, if u can speak n understand Hausa, u will understand wat am saying.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Please Help Me. About Igala Marriage Ceremony / What Meats Have You Eaten Before? / Some Funny African Proverbs That You Don't Know (must Read)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.