Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,593 members, 7,816,462 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:32 AM

Internet Revolution Can Destroy Scholarship - Soyinka - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Internet Revolution Can Destroy Scholarship - Soyinka (23117 Views)

Wole Soyinka Government High School / Kwara Poly Students Protest Increase In Fees, Destroy Properties (pics) / Wole Soyinka Loses On Becoming Oxford's Next Professor Of Poetry. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Internet Revolution Can Destroy Scholarship - Soyinka by lonelydora: 2:39pm On Nov 16, 2014
The simple truth.

Simple question I asked a pretty girl in church today thinking she's smart. She opened her phone to Google it. I was like what the f**k. An undergraduate for that matter

1 Like

Re: Internet Revolution Can Destroy Scholarship - Soyinka by zikclassiq(m): 2:41pm On Nov 16, 2014
herald9:
The only time our professor is wrong.

We've been reading and writing a lot on Nairaland I don't know where he got the idea that there's a decline in reading and writing.
With the introduction of cheap smart phones and cheaper data bundles.. one would think It's an encouragement for we Africans to explore the internet the more; having been previously rated as the most backward continent based on internet use by the West.

If professor thinks otherwise then he must really be high on 1860 books.

my 3coins!
writing what on nairaland? lol?,smh?, lmao?, omg?,hbd?,stfu? You call this writing on nairaland? SMDH!
Re: Internet Revolution Can Destroy Scholarship - Soyinka by generalunstoppa(m): 2:44pm On Nov 16, 2014
[color=#000099][/color] special greetings to all nairalanders... plz, whts the essence of makin front page and hw can I mk front page?? Still gettin acquainted with this site.
Re: Internet Revolution Can Destroy Scholarship - Soyinka by nijanigga: 2:47pm On Nov 16, 2014
herald9:

We've been reading and writing a lot on Nairaland I don't know where he got the idea that there's a decline in reading and writing.
With the introduction of cheap smart phones and cheaper data bundles.. one would think It's an encouragement for we Africans to explore the internet the more; having been previously rated as the most backward continent based on internet use by the West.

my 3coins!

Complete garbage; not with the grammatical blunders and spelling errors all over the places. Dude get your head examined.
Re: Internet Revolution Can Destroy Scholarship - Soyinka by herald9: 2:52pm On Nov 16, 2014
zikclassiq:
writing what on nairaland? lol?,smh?, lmao?, omg?,hbd?,stfu? You call this writing on nairaland? SMDH!
Maybe if you're following serious minded people you wouldn't have seen a lot of that.

If you really wanna change things ...Let's start with the man in your mirror.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Internet Revolution Can Destroy Scholarship - Soyinka by herald9: 2:54pm On Nov 16, 2014
nijanigga:

Complete garbage; not with the grammatical blunders and spelling errors all over the places. Dude get your head examined.
OK sirgrin
Re: Internet Revolution Can Destroy Scholarship - Soyinka by Appswheel(m): 3:00pm On Nov 16, 2014
let me make a summary of the post to help many of us understand the import. The internet is a tool the young people are using wrongly. If they do not learn to use it for the right purpose there will be a decline in the quality of writers from the younger generation - thats it!

So what is wrong with the submission above? Many of us here will do woefully in comprehension test. I see alot of people quoting the prof. out of context n wonder if we read the same post.

What do you think about children who were not born in the letter writing era, you think they will make better writers than the older generation? Read the comments on this post, did you see the abbreviations and those that fell short of average.

Besides, writing a book is way beyond making a post or comment on a social forum, it requires alot of hardwork and concentration. Let me remind you that the books you find on the internet have their hardcopies, manuscript before being converted to eformat.
Re: Internet Revolution Can Destroy Scholarship - Soyinka by abdulwastecx(m): 3:08pm On Nov 16, 2014
all4naija:
Check those Japanese Nobel prize winners and how much materials they have in English before they were recognized. You just want to get silly because the Ligua Franca for Nigeria is English. Stop acting like a primitive person.

Gaijin are Japanese who haunt for foreigners who speak English. The fact that Japanese are progressing is not about language but with the efforts of foreigners as well. The Germans contributed to the technology Japan has today. Please, you are annoying to me by letting opportunity pass you by.

I hate abuse but ignorance more...No culture is an island, people borrow element from other cultures to developed. Japan was a good case that we all need to learn from. All the technological advancement was down to Japanese culture, people and yes LANGUAGE.

Japan was initially an agrarian society ( just like how Europeans were before the industrial revolution in Britain in the 18th century)
under the leadership of an emperors they started having contact with European through trading and when they got in contact with the Dutch, British etc. They translate these principles into japanese language so that it can be understood by their people.

These developments would never have
arisen, however, without an abundant
source of low priced and docile
manpower and convenient access to
raw materials, the latter—though vital—
were (and still are) exceedingly rare in
Japan. Access to both were important
factors in Japan's rapid industrial
development.
The average Japanese industrial worker
worked long hours for a low salary.
Before 1940, more than 90% of workers
received less than US$7 per week. In
later years, average pay rose by 50%,
but the cost of living—the articles and
services for which one needs salary—
rose as well. In peacetime, the
Japanese work week averaged 56
hours, compared with 35 hours in the
United States and 39 hours in France.
Furthermore, the war effort exposed a
marked scarcity of specialized workers

1 Like

Re: Internet Revolution Can Destroy Scholarship - Soyinka by Talius(m): 3:18pm On Nov 16, 2014
Prof. Wole Soyinka

Re: Internet Revolution Can Destroy Scholarship - Soyinka by Olamitisoji(m): 3:28pm On Nov 16, 2014
To an extent am in support of the Professor's polemical attitude towards internet. The advent of paper brought a change to the world, it7 everywhere, everyone uses it, it serves almost all purpose. A book has a very long history compared to internet, there are volumes of different history written in books all around the world, a computer hardware can crash beyond repair, something can definitely go wrong with the backup also but a book i dont know if you burn one dont be surprised to here there still more copies of it or its hard copy preserved for generations to come. Someone once asked me the best thing humans have ever invented and i said "paper" which brought about the "book" and through it history have been passed down to so many generations. The advent of internet has being great but it has caused more harm in history than we can ever imagine.
Re: Internet Revolution Can Destroy Scholarship - Soyinka by Feraz(m): 3:33pm On Nov 16, 2014
ekemini007:

Hw can the prof be wrong, when most people cnt even finish reading text here on nairaland without complaining about its lenght,How can prof be wrong when when as soon as the lecturer says "begin"_ everyone brings out there phones,(a sign that they havnt read at all let alone read much)_ how can a prof be wrong and u a roadside academician be right.
9ja youths claiming know_ know since 1914.
You sir, I'm sorry to say have this mentality of what many undergraduates here in Nigeria complain about their lecturers. You among the school of people who believe whatever a professeur says is the ultimate judging from your above post. You believe a child is wrong whenever an adult speaks up. You believe the professeur being discussed here can never be wrong but the above post you quoted is wrong.

The truth is people are trying to save trees for the world to go back to being the way it was.

And Africanapple, that's a hasty generalisation. Not everyone love abbreviations when writing. I for one, hate such. I must have done it sometime back when I had my first phone but not anymore.

2 Likes

Re: Internet Revolution Can Destroy Scholarship - Soyinka by Nobody: 3:42pm On Nov 16, 2014
abdulwastecx:

I hate abuse but ignorance more...No culture is an island, people borrow element from other cultures to developed. Japan was a good case that we all need to learn from. All the technological advancement was down to Japanese culture, people and yes LANGUAGE.

Japan was initially an agrarian society ( just like how Europeans were before the industrial revolution in Britain in the 18th century)
under the leadership of an emperors they started having contact with European through trading and when they got in contact with the Dutch, British etc. They translate these principles into japanese language so that it can be understood by their people.

These developments would never have
arisen, however, without an abundant
source of low priced and docile
manpower and convenient access to
raw materials, the latter—though vital—
were (and still are) exceedingly rare in
Japan. Access to both were important
factors in Japan's rapid industrial
development.
The average Japanese industrial worker
worked long hours for a low salary.
Before 1940, more than 90% of workers
received less than US$7 per week. In
later years, average pay rose by 50%,
but the cost of living—the articles and
services for which one needs salary—
rose as well. In peacetime, the
Japanese work week averaged 56
hours, compared with 35 hours in the
United States and 39 hours in France.
Furthermore, the war effort exposed a
marked scarcity of specialized workers
Stop blabbing,primitive man!
Re: Internet Revolution Can Destroy Scholarship - Soyinka by abdulwastecx(m): 3:43pm On Nov 16, 2014
all4naija:

Stop blabbing,primitive man!

you are a fool
Re: Internet Revolution Can Destroy Scholarship - Soyinka by Olamitisoji(m): 3:44pm On Nov 16, 2014
And pls know that you cant cast out demons with that ipad you take to church. And remember the bible all emphasis that ''it was written''.... not it was typed or it was pinged. Lol you cn laugh ova my comment or even insult me, but, do take time to think about my comment.

1 Like

Re: Internet Revolution Can Destroy Scholarship - Soyinka by Lordseyad(m): 4:00pm On Nov 16, 2014
lanxlot:
we'av reached a stage of no return. we call this era.....computer age.

Hehehe, F.p after eons, I want to use this medium to wish all nairalanders: Christian, muslims, pagans, atheist just mention them....a happy Sunday. lemme also use this means to thank the o.p, the architect behind this, My co-commentators grin and lastly prof soyinka but 4 his ingenuity I wudnt av attained this feet. yes o, Its an achievement. also, My vote of thanks goes to the administrators for moving this topic to F.p, lastly I wish to thank all of you, Both friends, Well wishers foes and all nairalanders in general who will click like however insensitive My comment may sound. ur contribution to the growth of this forum cannot be over-emphasized. long live nigeria, long live nairalanders.
it's 3:58 pm.. Over 24hrs .. And all u got is 2likes... Chai.. People don dey stingy with likes sha..
Re: Internet Revolution Can Destroy Scholarship - Soyinka by Classicman47(m): 4:22pm On Nov 16, 2014
[quote author=PROCTOR post=28055589]His opinion......
We can't just continue to be cutting those innocent trees [/quote

lol. yea u are right.
Re: Internet Revolution Can Destroy Scholarship - Soyinka by Classicman47(m): 4:34pm On Nov 16, 2014
i think he makes a good point.
to be fair to him, he is actually advocating the harnessing the potentials of the two, so that the advancement of one doesn't have become the decline of the other.
the internet is here to stay and there is no denying it. but the conventional books do not have to be tossed away altogether.
Re: Internet Revolution Can Destroy Scholarship - Soyinka by Classicman47(m): 4:37pm On Nov 16, 2014
Olamitisoji:
And pls know that you cant cast out demons with that ipad you take to church. And remember the bible all emphasis that ''it was written''.... not it was typed or it was pinged. Lol you cn laugh ova my comment or even insult me, but, do take time to think about my comment.

lol.
am actually laffing over ur comment. but insult u?? no way!
Re: Internet Revolution Can Destroy Scholarship - Soyinka by Ifebazz(m): 4:44pm On Nov 16, 2014
herald9:

my 3coins!
I observed (and happily so) that you wrote your piece in complete words and phrases (no abbreviations and acronyms). Just read those of people after you have posted and then tell me Soyinka is wrong. 98% of youths no longer see need to write in full hence, in such haste, I don't believe reading and writing is properly carried out by the said youths.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Internet Revolution Can Destroy Scholarship - Soyinka by Nobody: 4:50pm On Nov 16, 2014
herald9:

my 3coins!
who is talking about nairaland writing ..... That must be humor I guess. How many still write like him and china Achebe.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Internet Revolution Can Destroy Scholarship - Soyinka by Nobody: 4:51pm On Nov 16, 2014
blink182:
Obviously, professor has been left behind. Writing and reading has even improved with technology and technology will make education cheap.
education is never meant to be cheap.... You don't value what you get easily.
Re: Internet Revolution Can Destroy Scholarship - Soyinka by Nobody: 4:54pm On Nov 16, 2014
abdulwastecx:

Wolesoyinka is wrong...the internet has madebit possible to know more.

back to my secondary school days when we have limited access to the internet...memorizing all the countries in the world including their capitals, demography, economy etc makes you a smart boy...now you can get all those infoemation at your fingertip without any problem.

You can download lecture materials of advance coutries in specialized discipline luke structure and civil engineering never minding the stupid lecturers in our university
what you memorize sticks right .... You can just look up and then after then you forget, so have you learned anything. How about you are asked when you don't have access to the Internet.
Re: Internet Revolution Can Destroy Scholarship - Soyinka by Nobody: 4:58pm On Nov 16, 2014
donmalcolm21:
I belive Soyinka is wrong because writing can now be done with computers and it helps because your research and writing will be easier
don't you write first on a paper before you type.... You type on a computer and not write. This is one of the effect of the Internet he is talking.
Re: Internet Revolution Can Destroy Scholarship - Soyinka by Nobody: 5:03pm On Nov 16, 2014
Billyonaire:
Of what use is a paper book in this generation of e-books and google Mr. Soyinka ?

Please save the trees. Go green! This is 21st Century. And again, Mr. Soyinka, THE SUN is not the lantern of THE UNIVERSE, you can call it the lantern of our Solar System.
what's e book..... How about when you are on a flight or you have a low battery and you need to read up on something which you have it's book. The Internet has its uses but should never be a substitute to pen and paper.
Re: Internet Revolution Can Destroy Scholarship - Soyinka by Nobody: 5:06pm On Nov 16, 2014
herald9:

Google is not just a fountain that springs It's own water.. it gathers resources from different sites...It's left for you to use your discretion to choose Which best fit your purpose...
If you doubt the authenticity of one...there are dozen other choices to choose from.
And not all of them can be wrong... If Google wasn't authentic they would've been massive protest and lawsuits against them.

There are two mediums here...The book and the internet... These two are genuine or Maybe you know of a medium I don't know about.

And you should be intelligent enough to know the correct words and full spellings...At least we all attended schoolssmiley

Y
Can you compare the price of books to that of data?

For example....With 100 Naira you can buy airtel's WTF bundle Which is 50mb and download up to 15 books in both PDF and epub formats...Thanks to the brilliant minds behind the numerous ebook readers we've in the market today.

Meanwhile the last book (novel) I bought costs me N1500....Yet when I searched my ebook reader I found the Same book...it was less than 1mb!

But you're quoting megrin

My love for books is hereditary... not even the internet can destroy that trait...

And to your last question..... I've got my roomwink

NB: That 2000 was only an exaggerationsad
you don't get most resourceful books free online. You pay for them. What you have access to most times free is information folks trying to build on their knowledge put on the Internet. Have you searched for your course books on the Internet while in school , which do you get for free.
Re: Internet Revolution Can Destroy Scholarship - Soyinka by Nobody: 5:09pm On Nov 16, 2014
ekemini007:

Hw can the prof be wrong, when most people cnt even finish reading text here on nairaland without complaining about its lenght,How can prof be wrong when when as soon as the lecturer says "begin"_ everyone brings out there phones,(a sign that they havnt read at all let alone read much)_ how can a prof be wrong and u a roadside academician be right.
9ja youths claiming know_ know since 1914.
a our problem be this.... They feel they know more than the next person and thatswhy majority are good at criticism.... Thumbs up
Re: Internet Revolution Can Destroy Scholarship - Soyinka by Nobody: 5:11pm On Nov 16, 2014
all4naija:

I disagree. There are e-books with better researches, reviews and written by well known authors available at your tip. I think the laureate is not very conversant with the internet, being an older generational person. Internet revolution will save many Africans from ignorance, primitiveness and abreast them of new techniques the older generation lacks.
what percentage of the black race have got access to Internet ?
Re: Internet Revolution Can Destroy Scholarship - Soyinka by Nobody: 5:13pm On Nov 16, 2014
majekdom2:
what percentage of the black race have got access to Internet ?
Does that now nullify the usefulness of internet? You possibly don't understand what the topic is all about.
Re: Internet Revolution Can Destroy Scholarship - Soyinka by Nobody: 5:14pm On Nov 16, 2014
Ybholy:
No amount of words will put a stop to it , by the way , if not for internet , how will i see this thing that He SAID ?

Story for the gods .
because you don't buy the newspaper or read them online may be ..... That's why we have the Internet.... Information dissemination , not to criticize or talk irrelevant issues that makes the front page of Nl
Re: Internet Revolution Can Destroy Scholarship - Soyinka by Nobody: 5:15pm On Nov 16, 2014
ALKARULEZ615:
Who is Soyinka?

We don't know him here in Kuwait
you may never achieve what he achieved in your lifetime.
Re: Internet Revolution Can Destroy Scholarship - Soyinka by Nobody: 5:17pm On Nov 16, 2014
all4naija:

Does that now nullify the usefulness of internet? You possibly don't understand what the topic is all about.
is there anywhere in my post where I cancelled out the importance of Internet? Basics of comprehension is will help you go a long way.
Re: Internet Revolution Can Destroy Scholarship - Soyinka by Nobody: 5:20pm On Nov 16, 2014
majekdom2:
is there anywhere in my post where I cancelled out the importance of Internet? Basics of comprehension is will help you go a long way.
You post is irrelevant to the topic then. Nada! Zero! Zip!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Pictures Of A Nairalander's Graduation/induction Ceremony / FUTO Students Represent Nigeria In Dubai Hultprize 2016 (photos) / Surviving Nigeria As A Graduate Today By Deji Yesufu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.