Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,015 members, 7,817,990 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:20 AM

Can Paedophilia Be Described As A Sexual Orientation? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Can Paedophilia Be Described As A Sexual Orientation? (1472 Views)

Is Bible The Word Of God? The Bible And Paedophilia. / N'landers, Who Is Melchizedek As Described In Hebrew 7vs1-3? / Age Of Marriage In Medieval Times Or Paedophilia? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can Paedophilia Be Described As A Sexual Orientation? by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:45pm On Nov 16, 2014
www.livingwaters.com

Objection:

"You've exposed how flawed your logical processes are by suggesting that pedophilia might become social acceptable. Homosexual relationships are between two consenting adults. Children aren't developed enough to consent, so pedophilia is essentially rape. It also can (and very often does) scar the child for life. If you really think homosexuality is comparable to pedophilia, then you're a beast without morals…" Reece Akinrinmade

Response:

The LA Times likens paedophilia to homosexuality:

"Like many forms of sexual deviance, pedophilia once was thought to stem from psychological influences early in life. Now, many experts view it as a sexual orientation as immutable as heterosexuality or homosexuality. It is a deep-rooted predisposition — limited almost entirely to men — that becomes clear during puberty and does not change…."

The Times then quoted Dr. Fred Berlin, head of Johns Hopkins Sexual Behaviours Consultation Unit:

"Other pedophiles are 'good people who are struggling. They're tortured souls fighting like heck not to do this. We do virtually nothing in terms of reaching out to these folks. We drive it underground.'" [1].

Studies Show Paedophiles are "born that way"

"In studies, paedophiles show signs that their sexual interests are related to brain structure and that at least some differences existed in their brains before birth. For example, paedophiles show greatly elevated rates of non-right-handedness and minor physical anomalies. Thus, although paedophilia should never be confused with homosexuality, paedophilia can be meaningfully described as a sexual orientation." [2].

"A group of psychiatrists and other mental health professionals say it's time to change the way society views individuals who have physical attractions to children." [3].

It's just a matter of time until those who accuse paedophiles of rape will be considered narrow-minded intolerant beasts who are filled with hate-speech. Moral relativism is a predictable slippery downward path.

History is our teacher, if we will listen.

Source:
1. http://articles.latimes.com/…/loc…/la-me-pedophiles-20130115
2. http://www.theatlantic.com/…/what-can-be-done-about…/279024/
3. http://www.foxnews.com/…/mental-health-group-looks-to-remo…/
Re: Can Paedophilia Be Described As A Sexual Orientation? by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:04pm On Aug 01, 2015
Good question. cool
Re: Can Paedophilia Be Described As A Sexual Orientation? by finofaya: 3:38pm On Aug 01, 2015
At least you agree that with paedophilia there is rape involved. What is the equivalent of that rape in homosexuality?

1 Like

Re: Can Paedophilia Be Described As A Sexual Orientation? by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:58pm On Aug 01, 2015
finofaya:

At least you agree that with paedophilia there is rape involved. What is the equivalent of that rape in homosexuality?

The question here is: Are paedophiles "born that way"?
Re: Can Paedophilia Be Described As A Sexual Orientation? by finofaya: 4:09pm On Aug 01, 2015
OLAADEGBU:

The question here is: Are paedophiles "born that way"?

I don't know, but so what if they are?

1 Like

Re: Can Paedophilia Be Described As A Sexual Orientation? by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:01pm On Aug 01, 2015
finofaya:

Then can we describe their condition as a sexual orientation in their own rights? undecided
Re: Can Paedophilia Be Described As A Sexual Orientation? by finofaya: 6:35pm On Aug 01, 2015
OLAADEGBU:

Then can we describe their condition as a sexual orientation in their own rights? undecided

We can accept that they are "born that way" without having to condone sexual acts with minors.

1 Like

Re: Can Paedophilia Be Described As A Sexual Orientation? by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:45pm On Aug 01, 2015
finofaya:

We can accept that they are "born that way" without having to condone sexual acts with minors.

Can you say the same for homosexuals, that we should condone their orientation but not their unnatural sexual acts? undecided
Re: Can Paedophilia Be Described As A Sexual Orientation? by finofaya: 12:40am On Aug 02, 2015
OLAADEGBU:

Can you say the same for homosexuals, that we should condone their orientation but not their unnatural sexual acts? undecided

They are no more unnatural than a blow.job.

Rape is harmful. Whatever it is that homosexuals do isn't.
Re: Can Paedophilia Be Described As A Sexual Orientation? by Joagbaje(m): 7:44am On Aug 02, 2015
Every perversion is demonic . Not an orientation. Nobody is created that way
Re: Can Paedophilia Be Described As A Sexual Orientation? by Infomizer(m): 8:40am On Aug 02, 2015
Op, do you think criminals are born or made? I think therein lies the answer you seek if answered correctly.

2 Likes

Re: Can Paedophilia Be Described As A Sexual Orientation? by Dubemkelly(m): 8:50am On Aug 02, 2015
Definitely, its a psychological ish however they do take advantage of the minors so to me it's not a sexual orientation rather social mayhem
Re: Can Paedophilia Be Described As A Sexual Orientation? by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:28pm On Aug 04, 2015
finofaya:

If Paedophiles are really born that way would they be morally right if they engage in the act?
Re: Can Paedophilia Be Described As A Sexual Orientation? by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:31pm On Aug 04, 2015
finofaya:

They are no more unnatural than a blow.job.

Rape is harmful. Whatever it is that homosexuals do isn't.

Would it be harmful if a young boy is interested only in old men?
Re: Can Paedophilia Be Described As A Sexual Orientation? by finofaya: 1:12am On Aug 05, 2015
OLAADEGBU:

Would it be harmful if a young boy is interested only in old men?

Once the individual is considered a minor, they cannot consent to sexual activity.

1 Like

Re: Can Paedophilia Be Described As A Sexual Orientation? by finofaya: 1:16am On Aug 05, 2015
OLAADEGBU:

If Paedophiles are really born that way would they be morally right if they engage in the act?

No. Children are considered unable to give consent.
Re: Can Paedophilia Be Described As A Sexual Orientation? by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:37am On Aug 05, 2015
finofaya:

Once the individual is considered a minor, they cannot consent to sexual activity.

You are talking about the legality of the action what about the morality? Is it morally right for an adolescent to consent to sexual activity with an older man?
Re: Can Paedophilia Be Described As A Sexual Orientation? by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:39am On Aug 05, 2015
finofaya:

No. Children are considered unable to give consent.

If the legal age to give consent is 18 what is the difference if on the eve of his 18th birthday he chooses to give consent? Would it be morally wrong? undecided
Re: Can Paedophilia Be Described As A Sexual Orientation? by finofaya: 5:42pm On Aug 05, 2015
OLAADEGBU:

You are talking about the legality of the action what about the morality? Is it morally right for an adolescent to consent to sexual activity with an older man?

A minor cannot "consent" to sexual activity with anybody. We just assume that they don't know what they are doing.

Paedophilia laws stem from our moral concerns. Our moral concern (yours too, I hope) is that children don't know what they are doing. Children are considered to have impaired judgment on many issues, including moral ones. I don't think it makes any sense to ascribe moral values to the sexual behaviour of a child, in light of that.

Also, I dont think a sexual urge can by itself be the subject of a moral law.

What is contained in your OP is paedophilia, which only an adult can be guilty of. Children having sexual urges for adults is not paedophilia, so why are we discussing that instead of paedophilia?
Re: Can Paedophilia Be Described As A Sexual Orientation? by finofaya: 5:43pm On Aug 05, 2015
OLAADEGBU:

If the legal age to give consent is 18 what is the difference if on the eve of his 18th birthday he chooses to give consent? Would it be morally wrong? undecided

Can we focus on the paedophiles?
Re: Can Paedophilia Be Described As A Sexual Orientation? by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:46pm On Aug 05, 2015
finofaya:

A minor cannot "consent" to sexual activity with anybody. We just assume that they don't know what they are doing.

Who said, do they not have human feelings? undecided

finofaya:

Paedophilia laws stem from our moral concerns. Our moral concern (yours too, I hope) is that children don't know what they are doing. Children are considered to have impaired judgment on many issues, including moral ones. I don't think it makes any sense to ascribe moral values to the sexual behaviour of a child, in light of that.

Where do we (including you) get our morals from? At what point do children suddenly 'know what they are doing'? Is it when they become adults? undecided

finofaya:

Also, I dont think a sexual urge can by itself be the subject of a moral law.

A sexual urge precedes a sexual act, no? undecided

finofaya:

What is contained in your OP is paedophilia, which only an adult can be guilty of. Children having sexual urges for adults is not paedophilia, so why are we discussing that instead of paedophilia?

Yes, and if paedophilia is an orientation, that is, they are 'born that way' why would it be wrong for them to engage in sexual activity even when they are minors?
Re: Can Paedophilia Be Described As A Sexual Orientation? by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:48pm On Aug 05, 2015
finofaya:

Can we focus on the paedophiles?

Yes, are paedophiles born that way? If the answer is yes can we then describe it as a sexual orientation? undecided
Re: Can Paedophilia Be Described As A Sexual Orientation? by finofaya: 8:19pm On Aug 05, 2015
OLAADEGBU:
Who said, do they not have human feelings? undecided

I don't suppose they have bird feelings. Let me get you straight anyway; will you have intercourse with a 13 year old girl if she asks you to? If you won't, could it be because you don't find her attractive or because you think she is too young?

Where do we (including you) get our morals from? At what point do children suddenly 'know what they are doing'? Is it when they become adults? undecided

I don't know where we get our morals from. It's probably a result of evolution. However that isn't what we are here for.

We don't know the point at which they know, so we fix an age at which we expect them to have known, and in fixing the age we aim to err on the side of caution.

A sexual urge precedes a sexual act, no? undecided

Depends on whether you're the rapist or the victim.

Yes, and if paedophilia is an orientation, that is, they are 'born that way' why would it be wrong for them to engage in sexual activity even when they are minors?

You have to be above a certain age in order to be a paedophile. Rephrase your question.
Re: Can Paedophilia Be Described As A Sexual Orientation? by finofaya: 9:23pm On Aug 05, 2015
OLAADEGBU:

Yes, are paedophiles born that way? If the answer is yes can we then describe it as a sexual orientation? undecided

I already answered this na.
Re: Can Paedophilia Be Described As A Sexual Orientation? by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:05pm On Jul 13, 2023
Born that way?
Re: Can Paedophilia Be Described As A Sexual Orientation? by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:57am On Aug 03, 2023
Discover The Colour That Brings True Hope

— with Dan Lietha - Cartoonist/Illustrator.

(1) (Reply)

A Christian Lady Refutes Dr Zakir Naik... Video / Healing & Deliverance Testimonies / Open Heavens Daily Devotional 07/09/15

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.